• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

Hm. Well, a few of you may recall the Dewford Town Gym Leader in the original version of Stainless Steel being named Silva, but in light of today's decision by the UFC to suspend Anderson Silva (his namesake) on drug charges, I'm dropping the name and have found myself in need of a new one.

So, if any of you have any suggestions you might offer, I'd appreciate it immensely.

Hm. Well, a few of you may recall the Dewford Town Gym Leader in the original version of Stainless Steel being named Silva, but in light of today's decision by the UFC to suspend Anderson Silva (his namesake) on drug charges, I'm dropping the name and have found myself in need of a new one.

So, if any of you have any suggestions you might offer, I'd appreciate it immensely.

I'm more of a pro wrestling guy, so let's see here...

-Levy (Scott Levy, a.k.a. Raven)

-Brook (for a female character; from Phil Brooks, a.k.a. CM Punk)

-Masato (Masato Tanaka)

-Sabu (...Sabu)

-Colton (Scott Colton, a.k.a. Colt Cabana)

Back with another earth-related name that I require. In Storm Island, Andrea captured a "Garna", a fakemon I based pretty much on your stereotypical fantasy genre earth elemental. I'm trying to think of a name for it, and I want to stick with established names for well known earth elementals in fantasy settings like Dungeons and Dragons or something similar, to further push the fact that she's a bit of a nerd for choosing such a name. The only difficulty is that I can't think of one, and the D&D campaign books I have don't reference any specifically named ones.

Edit: Came up with one awhile ago. I settled on Dilithium. It's not fantasy, but equally nerdy.

Last edited:
I'm having a few issues with making names for my characters in a PMD fanfiction. The main pair is a Golett who only just activated and was created centuries before. The other is a abrasive slightly arrogant Honedge who finds the Golett. Do I search for human names or make something up? I'm just hoping someone will have a idea that will help kickstart the name process.

I have a different kind of request for a name.

I am looking for a title to a story. I have a semi-plan for a story about Paul after Diamond and Pearl going to the Battle Frontier while evaluating his life choices and future since having his whole plan proved incorrect by Ash/Infernape. I was trying to think of a title, as I like being able to call a story something as opposed to just 'my Paul story' or something, and I was thinking I'd like it to start with 'Zone', given it is the Battle Zone and I've never written a story with a Z in the title before so the quirkiness of it stands out to me. I just can't think of what, so any suggestions would be appreciated. "Zoned for Survival" is the best I have come up with so far :p I'm contemplating Zero as well, maybe 'Zero from Nothing'?

@Lugion @Instrutilus: It was my first choice, and for a while even while posting I thought "Oh, I might as well just go for it". But I think it just sounds a bit generic (no offence, I did think of it as well XD). I am leaning more towards Zero something the more I think about it

So, there's going to be a bandit/Pokémon thief in my next chapter. Need a name. Male, mid-20s, generally dishevelled appearance, fancies himself as some sort of wild west-style outlaw-type. Current team: Cacnea and Corphish.

So, there's going to be a bandit/Pokémon thief in my next chapter. Need a name. Male, mid-20s, generally dishevelled appearance, fancies himself as some sort of wild west-style outlaw-type. Current team: Cacnea and Corphish.

There's a funny thing I find with characters in westerns: their names tend to be remarkably ordinary. By all accounts, you give this thief practically any regular name that would be appropriate for his roots. He may however, depending on things, give himself a nickname, or an extra title, like "Deadeye Daniel" as a broad example. Part of this process has a lot to do with how the character perceives himself, as well as how others perceive him. Does he have a reputation that others know about, and have they given this character a label? Does he fancy himself enough of an outlaw that he tries to give himself a little nickname title? Does he refer to himself as his actual name, or has he come up with a fake name?

I can't really come up with a potential name for your character without extra info, but if you can address some of the questions that I asked here, or more questions that you can think of, then I think some ideas for names will emerge from the answers. If perhaps you've come up with several contenders for names after turning around these questions, and can't decide on one for sure, I'd be happy to consider a short list of options, as I'm sure others who read these posts would.

How about Daniel Rucker?

Daniel means "God is my Judge", and if he fancies himself a western bandit he'll probably consider God the only one who can judge him, and only when he's dead and buried. Rucker is Middle Low German for "Theif" or "Greedy or Acquisitive person", don't think I need to explain why I went with that one.

And couple it with chaos_leader's suggestion, you can have "Deadeye Daniel" Rucker or "Deadshot Daniel" Rucker.

Less of an ask for help and more an ask for sense: do you think calling a story 'Original Trainers', as both a play on OT in the games and as the story would be about the first trainers, is a good idea or would it come across as simply advertising the story has... original characters?

Well, why not just call it OT? It's a direct reference, people will get it and more likely associate it with the Trainer Licence thing.

Well, why not just call it OT? It's a direct reference, people will get it and more likely associate it with the Trainer Licence thing.
The actual trainer license bit would only be a side part of both the story and the reasoning, whereas calling it 'Original Trainer' is much more... thematic.

Back
Top Bottom