• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nerfing the Fairy Type

Is the Fairy type OP? Should it be nerfed?

• Yes, the Fairy type is OP and should be nerfed.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • No, the Fairy type is not OP and shouldn’t be nerfed.

Votes: 53 73.6%

• Total voters
I don't think Fairy needs some radical nerfing, but I'd appreciate the following changes-
1. Remove the bug resistance.
2. Make ice and fire super effective against fairy.

And with an average Sp. Attack stat of 95(This is averaged across all final Fairy stages, remember that!) many Pokemon are now useless. Hydreigon dropped from the OU tier to UU. At the very least, Fairies can take out many of the strongest Pokemon like Darkrai.

UU is not "useless" and is in fact the second highest tier (discounting banlists). There are many, many Pokémon like Delcatty and Magcargo that would kill for a shot at competitive viability. This has to be the Pokémon equivalent of first world problems.

No, it takes dragons and tosses them into the garbage.
A standard Choice Specs Gardevoir set will 2HKO a Goodra, one of the bulkiest Dragon types, with Moonblast.
And the same Gardevoir set can 2HKO a Guzzlord with a base 50 power Draining Kiss. An Assault Vest Max HP Max Sp. Def. Guzzlord, the Blissey of Ultra Space.

Boo hoo, Dragons are counterable? How horrible! Ferrothorn is 1HKO'd by most Fire attacks yet is considered one of the best defensive Pokémon. Volcarona is still an amazing offensive presence in spite of a 4x Rock weakness. Nobody complains because these Pokémon would be very broken otherwise. And if Fairies "toss [dragons] into the garbage", explain why Garchomp is still everywhere in OU, M-Salamence was banned from OU, and M-Rayquaza is considered uncounterable, even in ubers. It used to be that any Dragon better than Flygon was in Ubers, but Fairies fixed that and balanced everything a lot. Without them, Dragons would pretty much be unopposed and the metagame would devolve into Outrage spam again.

I don't think Fairy needs some radical nerfing, but I'd appreciate the following changes-
1. Remove the bug resistance.
2. Make ice and fire super effective against fairy.

I agree with #1, more to buff the Bug type than anything else, but #2 is questionable. Fire and Ice are already amazing offensively, such a move would have the opposite effect of balancing the metagame. If anything, give Ice a resistance to Fairy.

I agree with #1, more to buff the Bug type than anything else, but #2 is questionable. Fire and Ice are already amazing offensively, such a move would have the opposite effect of balancing the metagame. If anything, give Ice a resistance to Fairy.
Fire was mostly due to my bias towards fire type, and I think Ice needs some sort of compensation, so I think Ice should get either fairy resistance, super effectiveness to fairy, or both.

Fire was mostly due to my bias towards fire type, and I think Ice needs some sort of compensation, so I think Ice should get either fairy resistance, super effectiveness to fairy, or both.
Better yet, Grass and Ice. Because Grass also needs a buff, lest we forget (5 weaknesses, resisted by 7 types.)

Plus Fairies almost always have a connection to nature, if you want to justify it lorewise.

Plus Fairies almost always have a connection to nature, if you want to justify it lorewise.
That’s like saying that most flying types have wings. The name of the type is from tiny nature spirits.

And the Steel type is super-effective on them for the same reason: I think there was a fairy tale where a dude killed a population of faries with a tuba :kappa:
maxresdefault.jpg

are poison and steel moves not that popular? that we need to nerf a fairy?
rather some pokemon need steel and poison moves added to movesets.

are poison and steel moves not that popular? that we need to nerf a fairy?
rather some pokemon need steel and poison moves added to movesets.
Actually, Steel and Poison are more of defensive types. Even if a Pokemon does have a move like Poison Jab, it really is only going to be used on Fairies.

That’s like saying that most flying types have wings. The name of the type is from tiny nature spirits.

And the Steel type is super-effective on them for the same reason: I think there was a fairy tale where a dude killed a population of faries with a tuba :kappa:
maxresdefault.jpg
Steel is strong against Fairies because Fairies in myth have a weakness to cold iron. Look it up.

And yeah, it's broad, but Grass needs the buff where Flying doesn't, so whatevs.

Steel is strong against Fairies because Fairies in myth have a weakness to cold iron. Look it up.

And yeah, it's broad, but Grass needs the buff where Flying doesn't, so whatevs.
Iron and Steel are not the same thing lol

But really, why Poison? That confuses me a lot/

cold iron, we have a ice/steel type. What if they could make some dual types get individual immunities?
Or create a ice type move that is SE against fairy? or a immunity against fairy type for some non-dragon pokemon?

Poison was needed to be done to SE and resist something and in fairy tales , poison was used a lot a lot. Herbs were said to be used a lot against magical creatures.

Grass would need only some pokemon with abilities and moves to nerf flying more.
A flying type can still use flying type attacks after Smack Down? we dont have anything to prevent them?
Good that we got a grass type starter with Sucker Punch.
More grass types need priority moves or we need a better priority grass type move and pokemon
( Golisopod->First Impression.)
maybe a grass type move that would be SE against fairies and a other against bugs?

Nerf? Flying? Lol

It's one of the most basic and iconic types, probably the best known after Fire, Water, Grass and Electric. It's balanced as it is.

It got a immunity to ground and only rock, ice and electric are SE against it.
I don't say nerf too much, but it would be cool to have a new move(psyhic- in a vacuum nothing can fly) or buff a old one like smack down(taking flying and levitate only??? should block flying type moves too afterwards) or ability to be immune against flying moves(for a grass/ghost scare crow or a new bug/ghost or bug/??? type)
I want some characteristic counter measures.
Like that we got with throat chop against sound moves.
maybe a poison trapping move in future?
we got a steel type trapping move Anchor Shot and a grass type that can use steel type moves and poison type moves well enough to counter fairies or not?

Last edited:
All I'd do is give it a third weakness. It's not completely broken like old Dragon was, but it's a very strong type and generally you could add the Fairy type to any Pokemon and it would make it better, which is not an ideal trait for a type to have.

The Bug resistance is unfortunate, but for a reason I can't quite explain I feel like so many types resist Bug because of U-turn existing.

What they need to do is buff Poison and Steel so they become more popular. Introduce better Poison and Steel type Pokemon and moves and then we'll start to see more balance.

Steel is like the best type in the game alongside Fairy. Any suggestion to buff Steel and make it more popular I'm just going to have to laugh at because it's a bonkers suggestion.

Iron and Steel are not the same thing lol

I'm aware they're not the same thing. But the "Steel" type is really just the "Metal" type. Steel just sounds cooler.

It's similar to how fungi are also included in the Grass type despite not being plants. Or, hell, why the Grass type covers more than just, y'know, grass. "Grass" in this game is just shorthand for flora and fungi. Same with "Steel" being shorthand for "Metals." It's also why "Psychic" includes aliens and even Fairies (before the type was created.) eg. Celebi and the Lake Trio.

Last edited:
Steel is like the best type in the game alongside Fairy. Any suggestion to buff Steel and make it more popular I'm just going to have to laugh at because it's a bonkers suggestion.

Depends how they do it. Introducing more offense oriented Steel types and some moves for them to take advantage of would help the balance. Steel's issue is that it's too skewed towards defense, but offense wise there's really not much reason to use it.

Depends how they do it. Introducing more offense oriented Steel types and some moves for them to take advantage of would help the balance. Steel's issue is that it's too skewed towards defense, but offense wise there's really not much reason to use it.
Pretty sure that's the point. Steel is meant to be the ultimate defensive type. To balance it out, it's offenses are middling at best.

A flying type can still use flying type attacks after Smack Down? we dont have anything to prevent them?
I fail to see any problem with the current situation here. Smack Down will cancel two-turn moves like Fly and Bounce but only them.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom