• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nerfing the Fairy Type

Is the Fairy type OP? Should it be nerfed?

• Yes, the Fairy type is OP and should be nerfed.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • No, the Fairy type is not OP and shouldn’t be nerfed.

Votes: 53 73.6%

• Total voters
I think they could nerf it a little bit. Maybe make it weak to Ice? That, and/or instead of being immune to Dragon, I think it should resist Dragon instead.

best physical is Play Rough, at 80
90, actually. Incidentally, it's hilariously sad that Dedenne has higher special attack, but the only damaging Fairy-type move it learns is the only physical one.
The Bug resistance is unfortunate, but for a reason I can't quite explain I feel like so many types resist Bug because of U-turn existing.
I've heard this theory before. Problem is, U-turn was introduced in Gen 4, two generations after the 17-types-chart.

Pretty sure that's the point. Steel is meant to be the ultimate defensive type. To balance it out, it's offenses are middling at best.

It's at two opposite extremes though. That's not really balanced. Maybe they should remove another resistance from Steel to compensate, like Psychic.

and best physical is Play Rough, at 80.

Not only that, but that's its only physical move (not counting Twinkle Tackle, which requires Play Rough to be physical in the first place). That much definitely needs to change. What it really needs is some lower powered physical moves though that they can make a little more accessible. Maybe a 40 BP priority move?

It's at two opposite extremes though. That's not really balanced. Maybe they should remove another resistance from Steel to compensate, like Psychic.
Not everything needs to have an offensive presence. I rather like that Steel is a defensive behemoth and offensively shit.

It helps it stand out from other types like Dragon or Fire.

Besides, it does balance itself out.

Last edited:
I've heard this theory before. Problem is, U-turn was introduced in Gen 4, two generations after the 17-types-chart.

What I meant was they had the chance to change Bug's matchups in Gen 6 (like they did with Ghost/Steel/Dark) but seemed satisfied with it enough to not buff it and instead nerf it more. I don't think they would have done that without a reason.

Not everything needs to have an offensive presence. I rather like that Steel is a defensive behemoth and offensively shit.

It helps it stand out from other types like Dragon or Fire.

Besides, it does balance itself out.

some pokemon of that type can be the oposite/outstanding representative of their type.

I start to think let the type chart be like it is now.
We got a buff og leech life to Power 80 .
the move Powder will probably be given to more pokemon nect game and generation.

If they want really to buff a type then now they can use abilities and by creating new moves and creating better movesets.

Imagine a ice/poison type, lets say a purpuciune or hedhog with corrosion and banneful buncker with both def 135 and sp. def 115 and hp 95, attack and sp attack 45 and speed 51.

Speaking as a user of Hydreigon and Garchomp, I don't think Fairy-types are overpowered. Dragons gained a degree of notoriety that began in Generation III and kind of seemed to dominate the metagame and worsen with every passing generation until the introduction of Fairy-types. They were a necessary answer in the same way Psychic-types needed an answer in Generation II's introduction of the Dark and Steel typings -- it allows fair play without making direct adjustments to the Dragon-types people enjoy using.

That said, I think it's silly to argue that Fairies aren't a strong type. With vulnerabilities to Poison and Steel, two offensively uncommon types, and generally respectable bulk in conjunction with invaluable staying power against Dragon-types -- the type of many competitive staples -- Fairy-types have a number of impressive advantages. Not overpowered, but respectably strong.

What I meant was they had the chance to change Bug's matchups in Gen 6 (like they did with Ghost/Steel/Dark) but seemed satisfied with it enough to not buff it and instead nerf it more. I don't think they would have done that without a reason.
That raises the question as to why U-turn is apparently so much of a problem.

Actually, Steel and Poison are more of defensive types. Even if a Pokemon does have a move like Poison Jab, it really is only going to be used on Fairies.

wait for ground/fairy, fire/fairy and others to come.

Ghost is the only 'paranormal' type, whatever that means here.

yeh? where do you have real life dragons? psychic needs also to be added to that list.

All I'd do is give it a third weakness.

-Fairy could be weak to ghost actually if something.
But ghost would NOT need to resist it, becuse of the problem with the dark/ghost pokemon.

-What would be if ghost would resist ice and ice would resist ghost?
(imagine Deciduey is ghost: SE against fairy and if it would take neutral damage to ice attacks, imagine Palossand)
Ghost love cold and in myths, legends and ghost stories cold and ghost are going together.
(That or ghost should resist flying like it resists bug already)

-What if the Psychic type could resist fairy?

How would this all effect the game.

Together:
- ghost SE to fairy,
- psychic resisting fairy,(or not, its hard to tell)
- ghost and ice resisting each other.

I fail to see any problem with the current situation here. Smack Down will cancel two-turn moves like Fly and Bounce but only them.

thats not much if you think about the amount of grass, bug , fighting, ground that are slower then flying types.
A psychic type move to negate all flying moves for 2-3 turns and making smack down also block any flying type moves for 2-turns, not only taking the type advantage and immunity would be more interesting taking how many pokemon learn flying type moves.

Last edited:
yeh? where do you have real life dragons? psychic needs also to be added to that list.
You're confusing 'mythical' with 'paranormal'.

Wacth them make the Ground/Fairy a physical sweeper with the moves: Earthquake, Play Rough, Wild Charge/Thunder Punch and Fire Punch. :p

This made me wish that 'Aqua Punch' was a thing for Mega Charizard X. Then I'd be using Flare Blitz, Dragon Claw, Aqua Punch, [insert Tough Claws boosted coverage here]

not confusing, but if you think of it longer and read more about them enogh...
Psychic may be paranormal, but not dragon. Nope.

Dictionary definition of paranormal.
denoting events or phenomena such as telekinesis or clairvoyance that are beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding.
Where do dragons fit here? Dragons are a part of literature. Definition of dragon.
a mythical monster like a giant reptile. In European tradition the dragon is typically fire-breathing and tends to symbolize chaos or evil, whereas in East Asia it is usually a beneficent symbol of fertility, associated with water and the heavens.
Also, dragon type on Pokemon is almost a reptile type.

That raises the question as to why U-turn is apparently so much of a problem.
Are you talking about U-Turn being so ubiquitous competitively?

If so, then the issue is less about the type and more about the effect. U-Turn (like Volt Switch) helps scout the enemy while keeping momentum on your side. The actual damage done by the move is less relevant than the Pokémon you can switch in with it. It's even better than Volt Switch since it can't be shut down by a Ground type Pokémon.

A psychic type move to negate all flying moves for 2-3 turns and making smack down also block any flying type moves for 2-turns, not only taking the type advantage and immunity would be more interesting taking how many pokemon learn flying type moves.
But why?

Last edited:
It's a strong type but it isnt over powered at all. It's just that some people aren't used to a new type so may get mad and scream about the good ole days before it came in.

If they did change it, I would've personally had it strong against Ghost not Dark and why does Bug need another resist against it?

I do also think resisting Dragon rather than being immune would've been better but eh

Last edited:
I am not of the opinion that Fairy-type is powerful. In fact, I think it's balanced for what it is. I like that, when attempting to make Steel have an advantage against Fairy, the type chart received a minor overhaul to accommodate this.

For one, to make Steel distinct from Fighting (which at that time only hit Ice and Rock super-effectively, something Fighting already did), it makes Steel hit the type super-effectively while Fighting is not-very-effective, effectively separating the to types. Putting Steel at an advantage over Fairy also makes it so that Steel has two less resistances, which is very welcomed because otherwise it resists too much.

Its type advantage against certain key types are well-picked, if you ask me. Dragon for obvious reasons: it is the most powerful type at that time, so a new type is introduced to counter it; Fighting because it is a type with wide super-effective coverage and powerful attacks, while at the same time only having few weaknesses; the changes to Steel's Dark-resistance removal meant that another type has to fill in for that type, and Fairy is the best for it. The type disadvantage against Poison and Steel meant that both types see more use offensively, which worked because now certain types carry Poison and Steel attacks for Fairy-types.

Even the Pokemon that we currently have are not as powerful as Dragon-types, as they have their own disadvantages, either through lower Base Stat Total, movepool that aren't wide enough or abilities that are not hugely beneficial. There are exceptions, of course (Xerneas comes to mind), but it's not like Dragons, which have a very large selection of powerful Pokemon. It's a similar reason that Ghost seems like a powerful type in theory, but the actual members made it seem like a less powerful type.

Thanks for reading.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom