• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Night with the Stars [Land of the Roses spinoff]

R
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

All pertinent stories, essays and other materials related to the Roseverse, the setting of Land of the Roses
Last edited:

Misfit Angel

Normal is an illusion
Reaction score
bNqxDrS.png

Welcome to Night with the Stars, a mini spinoff series of Land of the Roses! This is an interview series, so you're not going to find any of the traditional long form chapters that you're used to. This will focus on one-on-one interviews between the host of Night of the Stars and various characters from the main story, both major and minor. The interviews are intended to be a light hearted look at the events of the story, though some will no doubt be somber as characters will be dismantled and their pasts and fears examined. Prior knowledge of Land of the Roses is practically required for this to be an enjoyable read and there are heavy spoilers for those who are not currently caught up with the main story.

I first got this idea awhile back when I found JFrombaugh's Paxton & Joseph Show (Games-verse, Anime-verse), two separate series that take characters from either the anime or the games and put them down on the set of a panel show for in-universe interviews. They're fun little things and I can happily recommend them!

The Paxton & Joseph Show served as the inspiration for this series, and with the recent announcement of the Trainers of Fanfiction June event, I've been inspired even more to get this project underway and finish the first of the interviews. At the very least, it's serving as a way to keep writing something related to Land of the Roses as I fight through a nasty case of writer's block.

Content Warnings
The following themes are planned to be addressed at some point:
[ explicit language ] [ moderate sexually suggestive themes ] [ references to anorexia ] [ references to alcohol abuse ] [ references to prescription drug abuse ]

Table of Contents
NOTE: Every interview is paired with a chapter number in brackets. This number indicates that the interview will cover material from Land of the Roses up to and including that number. Spoilers abound if you're not caught up!

Major Character Interviews
Interviews with major characters from Land of the Roses

Supporting Character Interviews
Interviews with the supporting cast of Land of the Roses
  • Dr. Reiland #1 (coming soon!)

Worldbuilding Interviews
Interviews with various characters that focus on background details of the various locations in Land of the Roses
  • [City] Aughrim #1 (coming soon!)

Last edited:
Night with the Stars
Kimberly #1

This interview covers material up to chapter 29 of Land of the Roses
3YmV9Xs.png

Emma Welton: Hello! Welcome to the first edition of Night with the Stars! I'm your host, Emma Welton, and I'm very excited to welcome you all to our new show!

First, let me explain what Night with the Stars is all about. Our goal here is to interview characters from Land of the Roses; while we'll try to remain in character as best we can, we'll also try to get into the minds of these people to see what they think about the story so far. Consider these interviews as both within the confines of our story, and an outside look at how things are going.

With that out of the way, our first guest is the lovely Kimberly Fairbrooke, who serves as the secondary protagonist in Land of the Roses. We know her as a coordinator, a deeply spiritual woman and her relentlessly positive personality could brighten even the darkest of atmospheres. Welcome!

Kimberly Fairbrooke: Thank you for having me, Ms. Welton! It's such an honor to be the first guest!

Emma: I bet it is! Alright, let's get to the first question... How are you enjoying your time in the story?

Kimberly: Overall, I'm enjoying it. I admit, there are some parts that aren't very fun for me... nearly being kidnapped by a witch ranks up there as the worst experience... But it has all been balanced out by my other experiences. From meeting Andrea to bonding with her over my performances at the Majesty of Aughrim to the touching moments we've shared together during our time in Doranshire... I have more positive memories than negative, and that's what counts!

Emma: I love that outlook of yours! I'm jealous of it, in fact! I wish I could be as positive as you are.

Kimberly: It's honestly not that difficult, all it takes is... umm, well... Okay, maybe it can be difficult... I suppose most people don't live the life of luxury and comfort I do. It's easy to forget that sometimes, and it's even easier to forget that negative feelings go away when you don't have to worry about making ends meet...

Emma: Indeed! Speaking of, I've read in the papers that people accuse you of being a bored socialite with no aim in life. How true would you say that is?

Kimberly: I've been written about in a newspaper?! Fascinating... Which publication, if I may ask?

Emma: The Daily Crown.

Kimberly: Oh. A tabloid rag. No doubt filled with lies and misinformation about me, and I'm not even famous yet... just wonderful!

To answer your question, I do suppose there is an element of truth to that... I was simply bored with the way my life was headed. Dances. Balls. Galas. Sucking up to donators for my mother's charity organization. Cooking lessons with my father. None of that was... me, so to say. I needed a way out. What solved the "bored socialite" problem was when I agreed to join a friend of mine, Nicole Spencer, on a tour across Lanark last year. It kept me away from home for long periods of time, so I was no longer expected to attend these meetings and events. It worked! But I still had no aim in life, admittedly. I bounced between hobbies and talents until I settled on my current muse, Pokémon Coordination.

Emma: So how did you get started as a coordinator? Was it something that you picked up from Nicole? I understand that she's competed in a couple of contests herself.

Kimberly: No, actually. If anything, she picked it up from me! I believe her only appearances in coordination contests took place after we had returned home from our time on the road together. After I had left Lanark at the start of the year, even. It's just like her... She always has to take my dream and do it first, regardless of whether she is successful at it. She did it with music, with drawn art, with dancing... I think the only idea she's had that wasn't stolen -- sorry, borrowed -- from me was her clothing line.

No, my passion for coordination started about a year ago, in June. I felt that I needed a bit of time away from Nicole for personal reasons, so I went to go visit a couple of friends who were living in the city of Alderny. I just wanted to spend some quality time with them, but they insisted on being good hosts and drafted up a busy schedule of things for us to do together. One of the events that they suggested we attend was Lanark's Grand Festival, which just so happened to be coming to a conclusion that week. I had heard about coordination at that point, but never gave it a closer look. Nicole would never have let me. She always sneered at the idea of coordination, and her opinions were very important to me at the time.

Emma: But now she's competed in the sport.

Kimberly: She has. She's very hypocritical sometimes, but I can't be mad at that adorable face of hers, and I certainly can't be mad that she's taken an interest in it after so rudely dismissing it.

Now, where was I... Ah, yes! The Grand Festival! It was a sight to behold and I was instantly captivated by the concept of Pokémon Coordination! We attended the final day of the festival. The match up was between two absolute legends of coordination, Dawn Berlitz and May Odamaki. I had heard that these shows were flashy, but I had no idea until I saw those two compete! I knew right then and there that I wanted to at least try this... My friends thought I had lost interest, as my attention was buried in my phone, recording small clips of the contest and taking notes at other points. On the contrary, my interest was deeper than they imagined.

To answer the question of how I got started, it was just like anyone else would. I started practicing routines with my Wartortle, Juliano. We did not make much progress on our own... My mother saw us practicing in the garden one day and encouraged me to find a mentor... and before I could even begin my search, she had already gone out of her way to find one! Imagine that, my mother taking my hobbies seriously!

Emma: [laughter]

Kimberly: Just kidding! I love you, mother!

Emma: Who is this mentor of yours? Are they well known in the field of coordination?

Kimberly: Yes, actually. Are you familiar with a man by the name of Petyr Milos?

Emma: I am! I believe he competed in and won Lanark's Grand Festival... was it two years ago?

Kimberly: Correct. Since then, he has retired from active competition... I believe he told me that he was afraid of losing his title to someone more experienced than him. That's a shame, but at least I know I'll never have to compete against him! I would be no match. After he retired, Petyr started his own business teaching young coordinators the basics. He told me that he's very selective of who he teaches, though I imagine he was just trying to butter me up. I had nothing to offer that any other novice wouldn't, or at least I don't believe I did... natural talent, maybe? [laughter] Anyways! I spent a few months under his wing and I learned a lot from him, but we had to part ways due to personal differences. At the very least, we still consider each other friends!

Emma: Hmm, that makes me think. I wasn't going to ask this at first, but now that you mention personal differences... What about the rumors that you and him dated for awhile?

Kimberly: I don't like talking about my personal relationships, especially in front of an audience, but I will say this. Those rumors are true. Yes, there were ethical concerns, and those concerns are one of the reasons that we ended our relationship in short order. Both of us agree that it was a mistake to get together in the first place. That's all I'll say about that subject, the other reasons we're no longer together are between just him and I.

Emma: Very well! Thank you for feeling comfortable enough to give us at least that! Hummm, next question... I'll try not to dig up any bad feelings, but I'm curious about the interactions between you and Andrea. You and her got along very well, very quickly! Do your friendships typically form that easily?

Kimberly: It's rare. Very rare. When I take a step back and look at things, I do typically have a hard time forming close friendships like the one I already enjoy with Andrea. I think this is a consequence of my lifestyle. Either I'm on the road and rarely have time to develop lasting friendships, or when I was back home, I would often meet people just once or twice at events, gatherings and charity drives and then never see them again. There were a few promising people that I'd met who seemed like they would be good friends, but... they simply vanished into the world. That is why I was so devastated by Andrea and I having to part ways. She promises that we'll see each other again, but I honestly have no way of knowing if that's true.

She has made it very easy for me to get along with her! She has her jagged edges, yes, but she's also... I don't know if this is the right word I should use to describe her, but something about her feels... genuine. When you cross paths with people on the street, they're so wrapped up in their own little bubbles that it's hard to believe they're people with lives. Souls. Hopes and dreams. You might get a polite nod from them every now and then, but most feel like background noise in the art piece that is life.

But with Andrea? I see all of that in her. She's not afraid to talk about herself in a way that lets you know who she is, but she also doesn't drown you with selfishness as most people do. We've known each other for just about two weeks now, but I know more about her than I know about most people I've met. And it's not like I've been prying her apart at every chance I get, nor has she spent the entire time talking about herself. At this point I'm just waffling on... I'm not sure how to describe how she is. Whatever quality I'm struggling to assign to her, that is the essence behind our friendship, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. It's such a rare thing that I've only found once before.

Emma: I think it's safe to say that she means a lot to you.

Kimberly: Of course! She meant a lot to me before, but now that I owe her my life, she means even more.

Emma: Aww, that's so sweet! Now, let's pivot a bit... I imagine this'll change the mood a bit, but tell us a little bit about your new travel partner, Loren.

Kimberly: Uhh, next question? [laughter] Mmm. Loren. I've got a lot to say about him, but I'm trying to figure out how to word it in a way that's fair and not driven by emotion...

Deep down, I think there's a good person in him. He's friendly, he's polite, he's very helpful and accommodating... In general, it seems like he has his head on straight, and he definitely seems like an interesting individual! I genuinely enjoyed the way our day went when I first met him... up until that moment that he started to force himself upon me.

I can't say much about our future interactions yet, but... Right now, I'm not a big fan of him and I'll be happy when I'm rid of him. I'm hoping that's soon, and until then, I intend to watch him like a hawk. He has already shown his true colors and I shall brook no nonsense from him.

Emma: Good idea. Something about him doesn't seem right to me... Anyways, one last question before we round this interview off. Is there anything coming in the near future that you can tease us with?

Kimberly: Lots! But I don't know how much I'm allowed to say... This will come as no surprise, but I'll be arriving in Rustlode Bluffs soon to relearn some of the basics of coordination. I clearly need it after my disastrous performance on national television!

Emma: I don't know about that. As you'll recall, I judged that competition and I think you did well enough for a beginner.

Kimberly: Thank you, but I know you're just being polite.

Emma: No, that's a genuine opinion! But back to the question, is there anything else you can hint at?

Kimberly: Humm... I'll be returning home to Visalia before the season ends, so we're going to get to meet some of my friends and family soon. I've also got something important planned myself... I do hope that it works out in the end, but I worry that it won't... But I won't get into the details here, that would give away too much!

Emma: Very well! Thank you for agreeing to appear on Night with the Stars, it's been really nice to chat and get to know you better! We'll keep in touch and see if we can't get you on for another interview down the road, and as always, we'll be following your story very closely! That's it for tonight, thank you all for tuning in!

Last edited:
I've got to be first in this one. Let's do this one pearl-chan style:

[City] Aughrim #1 (coming soon!)

Interviewing a city? Does that make this fic post-modern or just plain crack fic?

But I still had no aim in life, admittedly. I bounced between hobbies and talents until I settled on my current muse, Pokémon Coordination.

I wonder whether it would be better for Kimberly to be a bit twerpier than that, and believe her bouncing around was a personal quest to find herself ... as opposed to indecisiveness. It makes me wonder about how grounded you want her to be, I suppose.

But with Andrea? I see all of that in her. She's not afraid to talk about herself in a way that lets you know who she is, but she also doesn't drown you with selfishness as most people do.

Speaking as the audience who has actually seen all those interactions, Andrea's a very lucky girl. Poor Kimberly, she's got it bad alright.

how to word it in a way that's fair and not driven by emotion...

He's a tosser? Seems fair to me

Interviewing a city? Does that make this fic post-modern or just plain crack fic?
In cases like this, the interviewee will be someone prominent from that location, such as a mayor or tourism director. A tourism director could be a fun challenge, to see if I can keep them in character as a scummy salesman that's selling you a utopia rather than the cold hard truth of what the place actually is... But thinking about it, since I want to remain truthful with the details, probably not.

It makes me wonder about how grounded you want her to be, I suppose.
I want her to be more grounded in reality than her type typically would be. Despite her young age, she's well traveled; a year of secondary school (year 11) was spent abroad in another country, her year spent across Lanark with Nicole and most recently, not to mention a wealth of time spent in Kalos during her youth. And despite her relatively sheltered upbringing, she's seen the rigors of the common man as well, both in her previous travels of Lanark and her six month visit to the neighboring country of Glastonfell, in which she volunteered her time and donated her money to help turn a wrecked pile of rubble back into a functioning town after a devastating earthquake.

Taking this back to her attempts to find a hobby/career, it's a mixture of indecisiveness and a lack of patience to develop her skills. Her upbringing afforded her numerous opportunities in the cultural arts, in the form of drawn art, piano lessons, sculpture, dance/gymnastics, theatre acting, painting and even gardening. She was raised to be a perfectionist so she's always disappointed with her attempts and tends to abandon them for the next one.

Perhaps it's all a bit unrealistic for someone who, deep down, was raised as a spoiled princess. But I like to believe even a queen can take a step back, look at life and the efforts of the common man, appreciate it all and maybe even want to try it herself. I feel Prince Harry is a good example of this, particularly with his service as a pilot in the AAC. Him and Kimberly would likely have different motivations for the things they do (considering she isn't a royal), but I believe the sentiment would be similar.

Speaking as the audience who has actually seen all those interactions, Andrea's a very lucky girl. Poor Kimberly, she's got it bad alright.
This might be my poor reading comprehension striking at an inopportune time; I honestly can't tell if this is meant to be sarcasm. :p

He's a tosser? Seems fair to me
Completely fair! But, and we've seen this already with her a couple of times, she has a very bad habit of assuming the best of bad people. Even a skirt chasing rascal like Loren can still find his way into her good books by virtue of not being an axe murderer.

Night with the Stars
Andrea #1

This interview covers material up to and including chapter 33 of Land of the Roses
Tnbvm4h.png

Emma Welton: Hello! Welcome back to another edition of Night with the Stars! As always, I'm your host, Emma Welton, and I'm happy to welcome you all to our show! Our guest today is none other than the central character of Land of the Roses, Andrea Dennison! Welcome to the show, Andrea!

Andrea Dennison: Hmm. Yeah, thanks.

Emma: You don't sound too enthused to be here.

Andrea: I'd be lying if I said I was. I don't like getting in front of cameras.

Emma: Yes, I heard that we had a bit of trouble getting you to agree to come on... Any reason why? Camera shy?

Andrea: I don't think I'm camera shy, I just... I don't like being in the spotlight, you know?

Emma: That's fine! We'll go easy on you, then. First question... How is the story going? Are you enjoying it?

Andrea: I think the story is going well, considering it seems to be doing its best to torment and break me. [nervous laughter]

Being real, I've enjoyed the things that have happened so far. Getting my position at the Reiland Institute was a big one, and it's the first thing in my life that's gone right... I'm not going to lie, it's been a difficult adjustment. I barely got any exercise over the past six months, so being on my feet all day as I travel to and from locations for my work has been a challenge. But it's been so rewarding! I had no idea how beautiful the countryside is! I admit, I'm a little bit bummed that I'll be back in Loch Alstan for awhile... I miss the smell of the trees already. The flowers, the babbling creeks, the sounds of nature... Once I get comfortable with my surroundings, I'm going to have to check out the local parks, especially the one I just went to with Patrick, to scratch that itch of wanderlust.

Emma: How about Kimberly? You and her seem to be getting along well.

Andrea: I know, I'm surprised by that. I admit, and she can beat me up about this later if she wants to... at first, I was just looking to take advantage of her good nature and her wealth. She was my safe passage to Doranshire, and I also got some free meals out of her along the way. She said she didn't mind providing for a broke girl like me, but that was still terrible of me, and I feel bad about it. The more and more I got to know her, though, the more and more of a person she seemed to be. She has problems. She has aspirations. She has confidence issues. I think she's even struggling with some body image issues, too... which is kinda silly, considering how much of a knockout she is. I'd kill to look as good as she does. But, my point is, she's not some stuck up princess, or a spoiled brat like I assumed her to be. Instead... She's my best friend!

Emma: Aww! That's adorable!

Andrea: Shuddup!

Emma: Will you two be partnering up together in the near future?

Andrea: I don't know. I'd like to, but... unless she comes to visit me in Loch Alstan, I don't really see it happening. I doubt I'll have any free time for the next few weeks, and I certainly wouldn't be able to afford a train ticket to go visit her whereever she is. We'll see, though.

Emma: Here's hoping! Anyways, next topic! You just caught your first Pokémon!

Andrea: I did, a Sentret. It's not an amazing catch like an Aron or a Chikorita, but it's a start.

Emma: But he's a cutie! His fur patterns are interesting, too.

Andrea: They are interesting... I've never seen anything like them before, but I'm not complaining. Goth girl, goth Sentret! It's like he was born just to become my partner.

Emma: So, you're 20 years old now, right?

Andrea: [nod]

Emma: Most people who get into Pokémon training, even as just a simple hobby, get their first one around the age of 15 or so. Obviously, some people get them as pets when they're even younger, but... Why'd you wait so long?

Andrea: I did technically have a pet when I was a kid... my dad's first service Growlithe, Spud. I didn't really interact with him much, though. I was scared of him. At home, he was cuddly, but my dad would often come back after a day on patrol and tell stories about how Spud shredded criminals' clothes like paper and used their arms and legs as chew toys... Kind of off putting, even if he was a good boy.

The truth of the matter is that I just wasn't interested, which I admit is odd considering my passion for biology. And I certainly didn't have the time to start when I was that young. I started university when I was 16 years old, and from sun up to sun down, I was either in my classes or working on my homework. I didn't even have time for a social life, caring for a Pokémon would have been too much.

I'm still not interested in being a proper Pokémon trainer, but I'm learning more and more just how crucial it'll be. If I have my own team of Pokémon, I can be more independent and not have to rely on Patrick or someone else to keep me safe in the future if I do more field work for the Reiland Institute. And then there's the elephant in the room... Girls my age are being kidnapped left and right. It seems like every week, more and more of them go missing, or they're found dead in some obscure place, and most of them are victims of unspeakable sex crimes and torture. I need to be able to defend myself from that. A Sentret alone isn't going to do the trick, but it's a good first step towards building a team that'll protect me.

Emma: Yeah, it's a scary world out there... And it seems like nothing's being done about it.

Andrea: I know! What the fuck is with -- Oh! I can swear, right?

Emma: Sure can! Just try to keep it to a sensible level.

Andrea: Right. But, what is that? My dad is a police officer and he often tells me that it feels like he's the only one trying to solve this problem. Us girls are forgotten by those in charge, I guess... We have to take our destinies into our own hands. I'm not going to rely on someone who doesn't care if I live or die to protect me.

Emma: That's a good idea. Do you have any plans to catch something else to build your team?

Andrea: I'd like to, but I don't have any ideas at the moment. This'll probably sound dumb since I'm just doing it out of necessity, but since I've got this weirdo little goth Sentret already, I've been thinking about keeping a theme going. I've been reading about Murkrow a lot lately... I'm going to see if I can find one. But if I can't, I'll pick something else out.

Emma: Okay, last question about this subject... This one was sent in by one of our viewers! "After Andrea caught her Sentret, Patrick commented that she would make a good mother, and she reacted very poorly. Is this related to her troubled relationship with her mother?"

Andrea: Uh-uh. I wasn't going to talk about it then, and I'm not going to talk about it now.

[sigh] Maybe sometime soon, though... You're going to try to get me to come back for another one of these interview things, right?

Emma: I'd like to!

Andrea: Alright. I'll talk about it then. You hold me to that, okay?

Emma: Sure thing! Speaking of Patrick, let's go over him for a bit. You've been spending a lot of time with him recently, and I bet the viewers are curious about what you think of him. Anything you'd like to share?

Andrea: I don't know what to make of him. He's an interesting fellow, I'll give him that. Apparently he was a metal head in his youth, just like me, but I'm having a hard time imagining that. He gives off such a friendly teddy bear vibe, but apparently he still listens to that stuff! I even got a few new recommendations out of him, and they're fantastic! And now I learn that he's got a soft spot for bonsai trees and floral arrangements... What am I supposed to make of that? This guy's a puzzle.

I'm trying to imagine him as a well to do, harmless good guy. It seems that he cares a lot about me, he goes out of his way to make sure I have a good day, but... This will probably sound silly, but I've been having a hard time figuring out how much he actually cares. He told me that it's his job to make sure I'm happy and productive, but... I can't help but shake the feeling that isn't his only motivation.

Emma: Something else? There's been rumors --

Andrea: Yeah. I should clarify that to me, they're just rumors so far. But I'm keeping them in mind, mostly because I can't get them out of my mind... When I was first hired, one of my first interactions with my fellow staff was with a girl named Emily, who had apparently been there for a few years. I thought it was a joke at first, but she told Patrick to "treat me better than the last one." A couple days later, Dr. Reiland warned me that Patrick had a habit of making the female employees uncomfortable with his personality. I admit, there were points where he did make me uncomfortable. Trying to hug me, trying to talk to me when I made it absolutely clear I didn't want to, implying I was flirting with him...

And then he asked me to move in with him! I mean, what the fuck?! With all the warnings I got from people, I was... I was so beside myself with worry, but I had nowhere to turn. I did the math, my first paycheck would have ran out before my second one came in if I kept renting at that cheap motel. I was homeless and he was offering his hand to help me. If having a roof over my head meant sleeping with my supervisor... Well... This may disappoint some people, but I don't think I'm above that. Especially if it means keeping this dream job of mine, or even having a place to live.

But! I don't think that's going to be an issue, thankfully! He's surprised me by keeping his distance. He leaves me alone unless I talk with him first. He knocks on the door to the den before entering. He's even trying to help me find another place to live, so I don't think he's playing some sort of long game. It seems he wants me out on my own in a reasonable time frame too, which is pretty cool for someone I've been warned is a predator. I don't see that in him at all, he hasn't made a single advance since I moved in as far as I can tell. His good heart has just earned him a sketchy reputation, I guess, which doesn't seem difficult at the Reiland Institute.

Emma: Well, I'm happy that it's working out for you!

Andrea: I wouldn't go that far. What's that old quote? "Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news"? Apparently people already know that I've moved in with Patrick, and the rumor mill is at work... I guess I shouldn't even try to fight it, my reputation at the Reiland Institute is in the tank so far. If people want to assume I'm sleeping with Patrick to advance my career, that's their business. I'll just carry on with my research, my projects... I'll prove them all wrong. I'll show them that I can do this stuff, and that I'm not just some air head bimbo that he hired for an easy fuck.

Emma: So are you and Patrick planning on doing anything else together soon? You two do have good chemistry together.

Andrea: We will be doing something together soon, actually! My work in Doranshire was meant to be my last 'probation' assignment before I'm bumped up to 'permanent' staff, but that was a wash. He's trying to finalize some paperwork on another project that him and I can get started on together, so he can monitor my progress and see how I do. He's still not sure if the Reiland Institute will be given that contract, so he hasn't told me much about it. All he said is that it'll put my tracking skills to the test and that, in general, it'll be a difficult challenge for someone at my level.

Emma: Is there anything else upcoming that you can tell us about?

Andrea: Nothing interesting, I don't think. Umm... I'll be dyeing my hair black soon, I guess. [laughter] I don't know! I don't really plan a whole lot. If you want to know about any upcoming stuff, you'll have to ask Patrick. It seems that my future is entirely in his hands at this point... I'm not too happy about that, but I'm bound by circumstance. What can you do in a situation like that?

Emma: Well! That's about all the time we have today, thank you for gracing us with your presence --

Andrea: [laughter]

Emma: -- here on Night with the Stars! You still want to do another interview in the future, right?

Andrea: Sure, why not? I actually kinda had some fun doing this, I don't often get to gush about myself and the things I do, this was a nice change of pace. Sign my ass up for another.

Emma: I never thought I'd see you so enthusiastic for something! We'll look forward to your return, and as always, we'll be following your story very closely! That's it for tonight, thank you all for tuning in!

I've kind of read through this twice now, and I'm not really coming up with much clever to say. Or much to say at all, actually. So the best I can come up with is, I've read it, I'm paying attention to future releases, and ... I think that's it

Fair enough. As I was reading it back, I felt it was basically an extension of the latest few chapters, so I can't say I disagree with your (lack of) assessment.

This chapter is rated MATURE
This chapter contains:
[ references to sexual behavior and innuendo ]​

Night with the Stars
Andrea #2

This interview covers material up to and including chapter 38 of Land of the Roses
hdcg3sV.png

Written with input, insight and minor editing from Caitlin Wintersbite

Emma Welton: Hello! Welcome back to another edition of Night with the Stars! As usual, I'm your host, Emma Welton, and I'm happy to welcome you all to our show! Despite telling us how little she likes the spotlight, Andrea has agreed to come back for another chat! Let's welcome her back!

Andrea Dennison: Hi.

Emma: Dour as always! So, how has the story been going since we last spoke in chapter 33? Not much time has passed, but a lot of new things have happened in that short space of time.

Andrea: Surprisingly so. It's been more positive than negative, however, and I'm thankful for that. Nothing horrendously terrible has happened to me, aside from that old memory from the beginning of the year. There's a few naggly bits here and there that have stopped it from being a great few days, but it's been pretty good! Patrick and I are becoming closer friends, and Emily has helped potentially put to bed the creeping worry I've had about him over the past week. I've got a much better assignment at work, and because of that, it looks like I get to hang out with Kim again soon.

Emma: Sounds like things are definitely looking up. So let's dive into the questions and start with a curiosity that was revealed in the latest chapter -- your necklace.

Andrea: [clutches her necklace and wraps it around her index finger] What do you want to know about it?

Emma: Well, you seemed to break down when you were asked to remove it. I noticed a distinct change in your personality until you put it back on. It's like you were lost.

Andrea: Yeah... there's a lot of sentimental value in it for me, and I've worn it almost every day since I got it.

Emma: If we go all the way back to chapter 13 --

Andrea: What, that dumb one with the big tree and the overzealous soldiers? What the fuck even was that chapter?

Emma: [laughter] In that chapter, one of the... 'soldiers' took a keen interest in it and you explained to him that it was given to you by someone special. It's probably obvious who that person was, but there are several special people in your life, as we've seen -- your ex-fiance, Tobias, your ex-room mate, Webster... Even your father, possibly. Perhaps your ex-boyfriend, Larson?

Andrea: Ugh, don't say his name. It's not him, no. If he gave it to me, I would have pawned it off a long time ago and blown that money on booze. The necklace, unsurprisingly, was given to me by Toby.

Emma: Is there a story behind that? While you were visiting the Oak of Ages, you mentioned that it was made of Argentium Silver. Jewelry made out of that is not cheap.

Andrea: That's right, it's not. [nervous laughter] In fact, it's the only... 'real' piece of jewelry I have. [raises her hand and shows off her various rings] These? Cheap metal with fake stones, unfortunately. I still like them, I mean... They really add to my look, don't you think? This one that has a Zubat design on it is my favorite, despite how much I hate the damn things, and I --

Emma: You're getting a little off topic, ma'am.

Andrea: [sigh] Sorry, you're right. It's a long story that I don't like to even think about, but I guess I did promise to tell it the last time I was on here... Well, where do I begin... I suppose I should start where it began between him and I and go from there. It probably explains a lot about my personality and why I'm such a mess in most aspects of my life.

So, this goes back to last summer, when Toby and I first started to get to know each other. We'd met before, but didn't really interact enough to consider each other friends. That summer, all biology students were paired together and assigned a research project to work on and then present when lectures resumed in the fall. Our assigned task was to study the effects of pollution on marine and coastal environments, and the wildlife that calls those environments home. We spent six weeks together up in the Arctic Circle -- it's heartbreakingly beautiful up there, and surprisingly warm during the summer months -- interacting with Pokémon and interviewing people about how pollution was affecting their parks, beaches and nature preserves.

I promise, I'm staying on topic with all of this: all of our findings went into a lengthy paper that was published in the Lanark Journal of Science last September. I don't want to jerk myself off, but... Getting published in that magazine is a pretty big deal, especially for people like me and Toby, who didn't even have our foot in the door. It was nice to be recognized for my research, but that recognition came with something far worse attached to it: attention from the media and environmental activists.

Emma: Far worse? Appearing on national television and doing interviews related to your research is a great way to put the spotlight on the problems you uncovered, is it not?

Andrea: Maybe, if that's what they actually cared about. But they didn't. They didn't care about the environment, or about the Pokémon that were being harmed by pollution. Not like I did. No, they had an agenda to push, and me and Toby's findings were exactly what they wanted. They wanted to weaponize our research and use it as a political cannon against people and activities they don't agree with.

See, Toby decided that our focus should be on the pollution coming from the oil drilling operations in the Glittering Sea -- you can see most of the oil rigs from the coast on a clear day. I wanted to focus more on the bigger picture of marine pollution, specifically all of the plastic that's clogging up the water and washing up on our shores, but... I caved and I followed his lead. When the paper got published, we started getting all sorts of praise and pats on the back from environmental groups. It felt nice at first, until I realized what was happening; we were being lauded for fighting against the evil oil industry -- 'fighting the good fight' -- not for actually caring about the environment as a whole.

Emma: I try my best not to get political on this show, but... do you believe it's the good fight?

Andrea: I don't know enough to form a solid opinion. There's benefits to fossil fuels, just as there are drawbacks, but I'm not going to get suckered into choosing a side when I've gone this long avoiding it. Is it the good fight? In the long run, maybe, but I'm not interested in fighting. We were given an often overlooked problem -- marine pollution -- and I wanted to shine a light on it. Raise awareness. However, activists from all over assumed that our paper was some sort of application to join their crusade against the oil industry. They wanted to put me and Toby on national television to denounce it... all that over a report I couldn't even fully endorse!

Emma: I can see why you weren't interested.

Andrea: Yeah, I had more important shit to do, like continue with my studies. I felt like if I got involved in that stuff, I wouldn't be able to keep up with either of them, so the choice was easy. Toby on the other hand... He wanted the attention. He craved it. He kept trying to drag me into his pointless grandstanding when I was struggling to keep my grades up and get my work done. I really, really should have put my foot down when we were out there, then neither of us would have gotten dragged into that mess, but...

Don't take this all the wrong way. It probably sounds like I chose a side with how critical I've been of it all, but... the whole thing just made me bitter.

Emma: What do you make of his activism?

Andrea: It's hard to have a positive opinion about it, now that him and I are no longer a thing. I think it's foolish. He dropped out of university to pursue it. Maybe it'll work out for him, and he'll be some sort of superstar because of it... in fact, that's all I can hope for these days, all things considered, since he's dedicated so much to it now... But I still think it was a bad idea.

When we were together, I didn't really mind it. I just... didn't want to be a part of it. If we'd actually gotten married and he continued his studies, I don't think I'd have cared at all. When I thought about us, and our future together... he's his own man, and he should be able to make his own decisions. I didn't want to be the scary wife that he feared coming home to at night. Hell, I might have even joined him after I earned my doctorate. How romantic is that? Shouting at the top of your lungs in front of the Parliament steps...

[laughter, transitioning into a sigh]

But it obviously didn't work out.

Emma: While we're on the subject of your research, despite it not being the original question... We've got time to talk about it. You're very passionate about not losing the message in the method, so I'm wondering, why did you agree to follow his lead and shape your research in the way he wanted, instead?

Andrea: Before I talk about it... Nobody is going to hear any of this, right? None of my friends? Co-workers?

Emma: What you say here is between us and the viewers. Nobody else will know.

Andrea: Good. I may be growing more comfortable and trusting of Patrick, but that's because I've kept all of this from him, especially the stuff I'm about to talk about. If he heard this, he might get certain ideas...

Well, as your viewers know -- especially since I recently had a meltdown about it -- I used to be engaged to him, and madly in love, too. Fuck, most of me still is. That's where our relationship began, up in that little village of Pebbleshore, while we did our research. It didn't take long, considering we rented a tiny two-room log cabin in a campground for six weeks. Being in such close proximity all the time led to tension, which led to... well, you know how it goes for young, horny adults. Especially one as lonely and desperate as I was. I'd just went through a horribly toxic breakup with you know who a few weeks before Toby and I left for Glastonfell, so I was thinking with something other than my brain when that tension started to build.

I had no idea how long my relationship with him would last or how deep it would go, so I didn't want to rock the boat by challenging his ideas too much. I wanted to keep him happy, because our evenings spent together kept me happy. So, after that started, I just... sorta fell in line and did what he wanted me to do. We'd ask oil rig workers about what their daily routines were like -- miserable and uncomfortable was the usual answer -- speak with fishermen who live and die by the tides of the Glittering Sea, interview elderly folks who remember nature being much more beautiful when they were younger... It was interesting to talk to these people, but it was all anecdotal evidence, rather than empirical. It was only tangentially related to what we were doing, but done to keep him happy.

Emma: Well! This took an unexpected After Dark turn. Our show usually doesn't cover these subjects, but since we air on a premium channel, that's fine. I hope you didn't feel obligated to explain that much.

Andrea: I think it's something the viewers might like to know. It probably explains why I was so hesitant to accept Patrick's help when he asked me to move in with him, despite the fact that I would have lost my job and everything I worked for if I didn't. Even now, I'm still kinda nervous about it... The reason I've had difficulty trusting him is because part of me doesn't trust myself. Me moving in with a guy is usually a bad idea, though I suppose it worked out well with Webster.

Emma: I take it you've been building the story towards my original question about your necklace, correct?

Andrea: Oh yeah, my necklace... Sorry, I've been rambling. But this is the point in the story where the necklace comes into play, actually... and it's also the part that gets uncomfortable for me... But facing it is probably the only way to heal the wounds that this relationship gave me. Time certainly hasn't, despite its reputation for healing all sorrows.

[deep breath]

When me and Toby returned home, we saw each other less and less. Both of us were usually busy with our coursework during the evenings, so for awhile, we only saw each other during the biology class we shared. Couldn't even do lunch together because our schedules didn't align. I was worried that if it kept up, we'd grow apart, and I could already start to feel it happen. I suggested we tried to meet in the mornings, as it was the only time that either of us could really break away from our lives for each other...

But that also had its own problems. I was frequently getting violently sick in the mornings, so I'd often spend our time together in the bathroom rather than with him. At first, I thought it was stress -- ya know, resuming my studies after some time off, getting back to work at my part time job, the worries that him and I would separate. My roommate figured it was something else, so I took her advice: I visited a pharmacy, picked up a few test kits and... positive results proved her right: I learned that I was pregnant.

Emma: That must have been a stressful discovery.

Andrea: That's putting it mildly. I really shouldn't have been surprised, but I was fucking terrified when I found out... I hadn't even turned 20 yet, and I had worked extremely hard to get to where I was... It was likely that I was going to have to drop out of university, because I was struggling as it was to get my work done. Taking care of a kid on top of all of that, and possibly alone? Impossible.

I wasn't sure if I could trust Toby to not run out on me when he found out. We were just having fun, we weren't prepared for that sort of responsibility. I got careless, because I ignorantly assumed it wouldn't happen to me. He made the mistake of trusting me to take care of things... I could barely take care of breakfast, let alone something like that! It's not like it mattered anyways, we basically blew our savings entirely on just renting the cabin and covering our basic needs. I couldn't afford contraceptives even after I started to realize that I probably needed them. Gods, I was an idiot. We were idiots.

Emma: How'd he take the news?

Andrea: Not very well at first. He seemed scared and barely responded when I told him. I confronted him about it on a Friday night, hoping he'd clear his weekend to help figure it all out, but I didn't hear from him. I thought it was over! But when we met again in class on Monday, he asked me to drop by his dorm after my final lecture of the day. He apologized for his silence and explained that he wanted a few days to calm down -- because his initial assumption was "oh no, I put my dick in crazy" -- but he realized that he loved me, and he didn't want to melt down and scare me away over it.

[clutches her necklace again and looks down at it]

A couple days later, he gave me this necklace. I was floored, because I recognized it immediately just by the feel of it -- genuine Argentium Silver. That's when I realized it... Maybe being an adult isn't so scary and bad after all. Here was a man who was ready to face one of the most burdensome responsibilities that most adults ever experience, and he was ready to do it alongside me. That, after several failed relationships, I'd found someone who genuinely loved me and wasn't seeking to take advantage of me in the short term.

I wasn't sure at the time if we'd really stay together through it all, but the fact that he was committed to trying -- despite us just having fun with each other -- really energized me. I'd already dialed back my drinking considerably thanks to the six weeks in Pebbleshore, and it helped me quit entirely... for awhile, at least. That confidence translated to my career and education, too; I was getting more generous tips while working my waitress job at The Lair, and my grades steadily improved over the rest of the semester. I even started to socialize with people!

That's why this necklace is so important to me. It's unfortunate that so much of my confidence is rooted in this necklace, but on the other hand, I don't plan to ever sell it or toss it aside -- even when I finally move on and get over my love for Toby.

Emma: That's a beautiful and happy story!

Andrea: Yeah... shame it didn't work out in the end. We did have a bright future ahead of us, ya know? I'd gone from dreading motherhood to looking forward to it thanks to how close Toby and I became after that. I never learned if it was going to be a boy or a girl, but him and I picked out names nevertheless, and we were looking at moving out of the student housing into our own apartment together. Right now, I'd kill to experience all of that. But alas, nature had different plans for me.

Emma: That has me curious about something, based on what we learned during the memory chapter that focused on your recovery from rock bottom... You and him got together in... June of last year, was it?

Andrea: [nervous laughter] Well... uhh... near the end of July is when we started to feel awkward about our 'arrangements' and officially got together as boyfriend and girlfriend. Look, I already know where you're going with this, I've gotten this whole discussion a million times. From my dad, from my friend Eliza, all my friends at university... Even my roommate Webster chimed in, after I moved in with him. Yes, we weren't together when we started sleeping with each other. Yes, we got together in July. Yes, we got engaged in November, and yes, we broke up the following January. I know, that's quick and disastrous as far as relationships go, and I'm not particularly proud of it.

Emma: Very quick! And unusual, but I'm not judging.

Andrea: You don't have to say that, I know you're judging. And that's fine, I don't mind. It's something I should be judged for. I might be intelligent, but I'm certainly not wise. As much as I loved him, and as much fun as I had, everything about that relationship was a mistake. I can only hope that I learned my lessons from it.

Emma: I hope so! You seem like such a sweet girl.

Andrea: Ugh, don't start. [laughter]

Emma: Well! That story took longer than I expected, but we still have a little bit of time. Would you like to rapid fire through some more questions?

Andrea: Sure, let's get through them.

Emma: Have you thought of a name for your new Sentret yet? You floated the name 'Furball' with Patrick, but also shot it down.

Andrea: Not yet, but I should probably choose soon. Part of me wants to go crazy with the whole goth thing and name him something like... 'Sable' or 'Skull' or something dumb like that, but I don't know. 'Moonwhisper'? Ugh, I'll never come up with a name. You know what? Fuck it. Greg. Let's go with Greg. I like Greg.

Emma: You're not serious, are you?

Andrea: No.

Emma: [laughter] Thought not. Next question, and this one's a bit of a follow up to something you said earlier: When you and Kimberly were recently discussing the Milotic that she spotted, you mentioned that they rarely leave the Arctic Circle. You also mentioned earlier that your university research took place up there. Did you happen to spot one?

Andrea: Okay, two things. First, Milotics are not bound to the frigid waters of the Glittering Sea, just the specific subspecies that Kimberly saw. Figured I'd clarify that and save you some angry fan mail. Secondly, yes, I did actually! That's why I was so keen on observing it in motion, to confirm my suspicions. I was just as confused as she was about what I was looking at when I saw one for the first time, despite my profession. I didn't have internet access while I was in Pebbleshore, but the local library had a book written by an area marine biologist.

Most of the information that I gave her was from that book... Seabeasts of the Frozen North I believe it was called, by Reginald Kerk... Very interesting stuff in that book, if you're a nerd like me. Most people don't realize it, but there are a lot of distinct subspecies of common Pokémon such as Kingler, Wailord, Octillery and even Gyarados that call those frigid waters home. Unfortunately, of the ones that are easier to raise out of water, they're difficult to keep comfortable in warmer climates, which is why you don't see them often. Though I do recall reading that the Kanetska Trainers' League is typically dominated by them...

Sorry, nerd rant over.

Emma: Interesting! So, let's talk about this new gorgeous yellow dress of yours -- I see you're wearing it now -- does that mean you actually like it? Can we expect to see you wearing it more often in the future?

Andrea: Ha, don't count on it. It's okay, and I actually like the look of it... but it's just not my style. I figured I'd wear it tonight for the interview so I can at least get my money's worth out of it. Damn thing nearly bankrupted me! But after I'm done with it, I might just give it to Kimberly, I don't know.

Emma: A shame. You look cute in it! So, what do you think? One more question?

Andrea: Hit me with it.

Emma: Do you have anything interesting planned for when you and Kimberly reunite?

Andrea: No, nothing set in stone. I imagine my work will keep me pretty busy, so I don't know how often I'll be able to see her, and for how long. It's hard to plan when you don't really have an idea of what any given day looks like. Maybe... dinner and a movie? I don't know, is that weird? I mostly had guy friends before I met her, so I don't know what girls are supposed to do with each other except gush over celebrities and have makeup parties.

Emma: Perhaps you two can gush over me! [laughter] Well, thank you for coming on to Night with the Stars so soon after your first interview, it's been an illuminating discussion! I'm sure the viewers will have a lot to digest regarding what you revealed about your past, and are looking forward to seeing how it plays into the upcoming story!

That's it for tonight, thank you all for tuning in!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom