• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Ninetales vs Alolan Ninetales

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
ninetales_by_fire_ice_n_lightning-d4uj5js.png
vs
ges9q5oj8gdrvgkmtocg.jpg

Pretty straightforward. I don't think I need to add anything.

Obviously from a competitive standpoint, Ninetales has the better ability, but Ninetales-A has the Fairy typing to provide some diversity. And obviously in a fight, regular Ninetales has the advantage. But which one do you like better? Which one is better designed? Etc. etc. etc.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic Ninetales by far.

Laying aside the glaring fact that it has two infinitely superior abilities, a diverse type combo can be a curse if the Pokémon can't cover for those weak points, as we can plainly see in Amaura and Aurorus. We've got a Fire type with Energy Ball hitting all three weaknesses, now there's an Ice/Fairy type who likely can't scratch the Steel types out for sweet revenge.

This actually personifies my problems with Alolan forms as a whole. At least a bad Mega Evolution could be ignored, but Alolan Ninetales is the unchangeable default.

alola ninetales might be able to learn the moves regular ninetales learn. So i won't surprise it having fire blast to kill steel types. It might not be able to do much to fire types tho, as fire resist both ice and fairy. Regardless, i do expect regular ninetales being better competitively. Drought is just amazing and if alola ninetales is to get a weather ability, it might just be like snow warning XD which is worse than drought. Ice/fairy is also kind of a bad typing. Fire/rocks are both very common attack types and steel types are very very common.

I love them both. Ninetales has always been one of my favorite Pokemon and I'm a huge fan of both designs. I do like Ice-types more than fire-types, but I'm going to have to go with the original. The only real issue I have with Alolan Ninetales is the fur on its head. It's just a bit much for me and almost too majestic imo. I prefer the smaller amount the original has. Otherwise I'd rate them both equal in terms of design.

I'll have to go with Alolan Ninetales. I've always thought that regular Ninetales had a rather bland and generic design in comparison to its pre-evolution, Vulpix, which stands out a lot more. Normal Ninetales is just... a kitsune. That's it. No real twists added on the concept. Whilst I still adore the Pokemon, Alolan Ninetales adds some much needed spice and originality. Its strange wavy fur and subtle blue coloration make for a far more interesting twist and Pokemon to look at.

I love normal Ninetales, but I like that they're trying to do something different with it.

But honestly I prefered Ninetales when it was sitting in the game.

I like Kanto Ninetales a bit better, but I've never used an Alola Ninetales so it's hard to say. Design wise it goes to K-Nintales but I adore A-Ninetales type. So, it's still a tie for me. ^^

I love both. I've always loved the original ninetales and it's shiny variant. It's also a decent mon in battle. Alolan Ninetales is absolutely stunning though, and I can imagine it will be a great battler as well. However, I can't make a clear decision since we don't know anything about it aside from design and type. I do like its type combination though.

Alolan Ninetales, really no contest for me. Although I didn't dislike the original Ninetales, it never stood out to me. The red eyes kind of turned me off, too. But Alola Ninetales is fabulous, and I love it.

Ninetales was one of my favourite Pokemon before the Alola form and I think the Alolan form improves it massively. The aesthetic is just more majestic and mysterious, the typing is more interesting and it's more useful in battle unless you really want Drought. Not to say I dislike the original form now, I just prefer the new one. I do wish they would retcon the old Ninetales into a Fire/Ghost type, though.

I like both, but prefer the classic Ninetales. I had that old Ninetales holo card when I was 6 or 7. In elementary school, I got bullied a lot during those years (and also later), but people did admire that Ninetales card and kept begging me to trade it. I never did, since Ninetales is an adorable cutie. Seeing Ninetales in the anime later made me like Ninetales even more. Alolan Ninetales just can't beat that, even though I do like it a lot. It's probably my favourite Alolan variant and I'm glad they created it.

Both are amazing Pokemon, but I like vanilla Ninetales a bit better. Flash Fire is a better standard Ability than Snow Cloak, and it bothers me Alolan Ninetales can't learn Water Pulse despite many non-Water Ice-types getting it, like Articuno, Delibird, Jynx, Glaceon and Cryogonal.

I- how can I possibly choose here? motions at my avatar I love fire ninetales but alolan ninetales is practically my username. AND ITS A FAIRY. This is painful.

I'll just go with my inner child and say Alolan Ninetales because ITS SO FOOFY AND I BET ITS FUR FEELS LIKE SILK.

Also I just realized shiny Alolan Ninetales has a pink shift to its colors so it IS my username I foresaw its coming I am psychic.

I prefer regular Ninetales, personally the Alolan form just reminds me too much of the original Ninetale's shiny variant but fluffier

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom