• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo switch and pokemon

I agree with @RileyXY1 about more games on 3DS. We are likely to get one more pair of main series games for gen 7 and a few more spin-offs on 3DS before moving onto the Switch. The Switch would start out with getting spin-off games before gen 8 is introduced on the platform.

I don't know about more spin-off games for the 3DS other than Detective Pikachu (which really needs to be localized and released fully), unless you count eShop games that could be multiplatform (including mobile). The DS just got Typing DS and Conquest after the 3DS' release, with the 3DS getting a Rumble game early on.

Pokken being ported to the Switch seems pretty likely.

IDK, spinoffs usually release pretty quickly on new hardware pretty quickly. I could maybe see Detective Pikachu releasing internationally on 3DS, but beyond that, I think they're going to start putting spinoffs on Switch from here on out.

I don't know about more spin-off games for the 3DS other than Detective Pikachu (which really needs to be localized and released fully), unless you count eShop games that could be multiplatform (including mobile). The DS just got Typing DS and Conquest after the 3DS' release, with the 3DS getting a Rumble game early on.

Pokken being ported to the Switch seems pretty likely.

I completely forgot about Detective Pikachu. Seeing that get localized would be pretty nice. I could maybe see one other spin-off title for the 3DS besides Detective Pikachu before they put games for the Switch. We do normally get spin-off games for the new systems well before a main series game. A Switch port for Pokken would be pretty cool too.

Pokemon Gen VIII for the Switch probs won't come out until 2018 at the earliest, though my bet is 2019.

Already posted this in the Stars Discussion thread, but it's more relevant here:

Pokémon chief says approach to games needs to change if brought to Switch

“Pokemon has been about being portable, but now there is the Switch, which is a portable home console, so it has a bigger screen and higher specs than we’re used to,” Ishihara said, as translated by NeoGAF user StreetsAhead. “Apart from main games, we make stuff like Pokkén [Tournament] and [Pokémon Mystery] Dungeon, so I am thinking we should make games that suit the Switch, but at this time I cannot confirm any projects.”

Ishihara added that if they were to develop games primarily for the Switch, it would have to be different from the way they’ve handled making portable games in the past, but wouldn’t elaborate. It’s still unclear if the company intends to release a game like Pokémon Sun or Moon for the console. The Switch may act like the GameCube, Wii and Wii U, which became the go-to consoles for offshoot Pokémon titles like Pokémon Rumble, Pokémon Battle Revolution and PokéPark Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure.

Hard to tell with PR, but from the sounds of things TPC seems to view the Switch as both a handheld and a console and we're going to get games that appeal to both sides. Music to my ears.

As someone that hasn't done a lot of looking into when it comes to the Switch, I was a little worried about the main games going to the Switch.
The Battle system should be improved on the Switch. The current battle system is just too basic. It's a turn based system from the 90s. It's probably because of the hardware limitations that they couldn't make a battle system with more mobility just like the anime.
But when Switch comes out, the case will be a bit different. They can then give us realtime battles and maybe wild pokemon just moving around instead of hiding in grass. I think the Switch will be an opportunity for them to improve it. I just get totally amazed by the battles in the anime and would love to do battles like that myself. One more reason could be that GF has always been working with that turn based battle system and maybe they do not have the right developers for a game made for a console because they never needed them since they were making games for handhelds. But Switch is a lot more different.
What do you guys think about it?

I honestly don't think they're ever going to do this. Pokemon is the third highest selling gaming franchise of all time, behind Tetris and Super Mario. A change like that would be HUGE. It would be one thing if they made a spin off game with real time combat, but to change the main game series around would be suicide. There are a lot of games that have tried to change their style of game all together, and most (if not all) have failed. Sonic went from being a 2D side scroller to a 3D adventure game. All 3D Sonic games have done horribly. Mortal Kombat went from being a 2D fighting game to a 3D fighting game, back to a 2D fighting game. All Mortal Kombat games after 4 (the first 3D one) and before 9 (before they went back to 3D) are the worst selling of the franchise. There's an old saying that applies here: "If it's not broken, don't fix it".

I have to admit that the thought has occurred to me, too.

We'll see. It won't happen until the next generation at the earliest, but for the current generation they might still be able to make a few steps towards that.

I have to agree with this guy, ever since Pokemon went 3D, the games have felt even more confined than ever (although that has more to do with the increasing casualization of the franchise than the transition to 3D). IDK if Game Freak wants to go full BotW, they'll still probably want the game to be accessible and easy to follow. Maybe having something that's open world but has defined, easy to follow paths from one city to another could work.

I also like that idea for changing up the catching mechanics, it's a great way to make the game feel more dynamic and alive without breaking from the traditional turn based combat.

Also, I don't think they want Pokemon to feel as desolate as BotW. The franchise is about communication and interacting with people, so almost all areas in the series have at least some people, trainers waiting to battle, people that actually live in those areas, and sometimes even a few facilities. That much will probably never change in the series.

Last edited:
(although that has more to do with the increasing casualization of the franchise than the transition to 3D).

I agree. Alola's version of Victory Road felt waaay too short for a final dungeon. The lack of trainers meant you could just Repel your way through if you so chose (Pokemon levels permitting) and there weren't any mazes or puzzles or anything. Vast Poni Canyon felt more like a final dungeon.

I agree. Alola's version of Victory Road felt waaay too short for a final dungeon. The lack of trainers meant you could just Repel your way through if you so chose (Pokemon levels permitting) and there weren't any mazes or puzzles or anything. Vast Poni Canyon felt more like a final dungeon.

Well to be fair, Mt. Lanakila is not Victory Road, it's Mt. Lanakila. Vast Poni Canyon does kind of feel like a Victory Road though, it has the tough trainers and the puzzles we normally see in Victory Road, so I wouldn't say we've lost anything there.

And Alola isn't alone in having a 'victory road' devoid of Trainers. Gold and Silver did that too -- but with one critical difference. That last battle against Silver occured at the END of the dungeon, meaning not only did you have to grind your way through the passage itself but you had to keep your team in good condition for the surprise battle.

Meanwhile in Alola, yes we do fight Gladion and Hau one more time each before reaching the Elite Four, but both times occur directly after stopping by a Pokemon Center. There's no tension because our teams are guaranteed to be in top shape.

Last edited:
Also, I don't think they want Pokemon to feel as desolate as BotW. The franchise is about communication and interacting with people, so almost all areas in the series have at least some people, trainers waiting to battle, people that actually live in those areas, and sometimes even a few facilities. That much will probably never change in the series.
That's a given. Personally, I could never really get into a desolate game.

But in an open world game, people can exist, cannot they? They don't need to copy Zelda 1:1. I feel they can innovate some.

Back
Top Bottom