• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo switch and pokemon

How? Replace dungeons with gyms/trials, and that's pretty damn close to what Pokemon is.
I was talking about an open world game much like BOTW when I mentioned a Zelda-like game. With GameFreak's current philosophy, an open world Pokemon game will never happen.

I was talking about an open world game much like BOTW when I mentioned a Zelda-like game. With GameFreak's current philosophy, an open world Pokemon game will never happen.
Just like Gyms will always be there or HMs will never be removed. Never say never.

Ishihara is claiming that their current philosophy is changing on the Switch though. So we can't simply look at Game Freak's past behavior to evaluate whether something can or can't happen in the series. An open world is entirely possible if Game Freak chooses to appeal to a console audience with the Switch, developing for console opens the series to an audience that expects more exploration elements and hardware that is more suited towards that style of gameplay.

i mean a different design philosophy doesn't necessarily preclude a game from coming out largely the same as its predecessors. after all, there's clearly some level of a different design philosophy in SM and yet it is still very much the same Pokemon song and Pokemon dance.

i mean a different design philosophy doesn't necessarily preclude a game from coming out largely the same as its predecessors. after all, there's clearly some level of a different design philosophy in SM and yet it is still very much the same Pokemon song and Pokemon dance.

And in Pokemon RSE. And in Pokemon BW. And in Pokemon DPPT. And XY. And GS.
My point is, every Pokemon game spiced up the formluoli. GS made Shiny Pokemon, items, and several other things, RSE made a legendary trio be the main Pokemon, added your dad, had two rivals, and other things. DPPT added several items to increase convenience, made a move’s category not dependent on the type, added the GTS, and so on. BW fused the Poke Mart and Poke Center, made TM’s reusable, and the story was a revolution in itself. XY led the games into 3D, added the PPS, a new type, trainer customization, Super Training and Pokemon Amie, Sky Battles and Mega Evolution.

Exactly. Every gen added something awesome and refreshing and new. With the right proportion of innovation and tradition.

But I dont think Pokemon should go the BotW way. Pokemon should stay mostly like it is now.

Eh, I wouldn't really say that SM has a different design philosophy, it made a few refreshing changes to its mechanics but the design philosophy is still the same. Design philosophy has more to do with the series' goals, and the only time I can say that their goals have really changed is in 5th gen when they decided to simplify the gameplay and region design to make the game more accessible. Aside from that it's mainly been the same throughout the series, there's definitely been changes and innovations throughout the series but those innovations aren't necessarily changes in philosophy.

Ishihara is claiming that their current philosophy is changing on the Switch though. So we can't simply look at Game Freak's past behavior to evaluate whether something can or can't happen in the series. An open world is entirely possible if Game Freak chooses to appeal to a console audience with the Switch, developing for console opens the series to an audience that expects more exploration elements and hardware that is more suited towards that style of gameplay.

True, but that doesn't mean that the game on the Switch or an open world Pokémon game has to be core. We could get an open world type game from the Ranger or Mystery Dungeon games or even a looooong awaited sequel to Colosseum and XD games. Or they could combine a little bit of everything and make something new entirely.

It will be fun to see what they do with the Switch, and I'm sure they will do something. I just hope it isn't a core game.

It will be fun to see what they do with the Switch, and I'm sure they will do something. I just hope it isn't a core game.
And you hope that... because? The 3DS isn't sticking around forever and Nintendo are not currently planning a second portable separate from the Switch family. The Switch would have to flop for them to do that, and Game Freak have to give the system a chance to test its potential.

And you hope that... because? The 3DS isn't sticking around forever and Nintendo are not currently planning a second portable separate from the Switch family. The Switch would have to flop for them to do that, and Game Freak have to give the system a chance to test its potential.

I hope that because there is no way at this time to transfer data or accounts to the Switch. Seems pointless to have all of this information that you've paid for and transferred from system to system dumped for a new console that you have to start all over on. I know we had to do it between Gen II and III, but that was much less data and in most cases. You only had people with 2 or 3 years worth of data that was lost, not 10+ like you would see now.

Also, the Switch doesn't seem to have that same portable surviveability that ALL of Nintendo's handhelds have had and I have yet to see any evidence to say that the Switch replaces the 3DS. Looking at the Switch, it looks like a portable home console, not a handheld. Furthermore, just because Nintendo hasn't announced a new handheld (not portable, they are two separate things), doesn't mean that there isn't going to be one. Now I'm not saying that I don't want a Pokémon game on the Switch, I just don't want to see a core game at this time until I see evidence that it isn't going to be a huge step backwards in mobility and story.

At the end of the day, my hopes and wishes don't mean anything. If Nintendo says "3DS support is done by the end of 2017, no more WiFi battling/trading/distributions or anything unless you have a Switch," then that is how it is. I will have to chose to adapt or be left behind. That said, I would prefer to see a non-core open world gen 7 game for the Switch than a Gen 7 or Gen 8 one.

I just don't want to see a core game at this time until I see evidence that it isn't going to be a huge step backwards in mobility and story.
Why would the story be an issue on the Switch? As for mobility, could you explain the problem with the Switch's portable?

"3DS support is done by the end of 2017, no more WiFi battling/trading/distributions or anything unless you have a Switch,
Wi-Fi communication could live on for a number of years on the 3DS, but the real question is what kind of new games will be released for the system.

Why would the story be an issue on the Switch? As for mobility, could you explain the problem with the Switch's portable?

Wi-Fi communication could live on for a number of years on the 3DS, but the real question is what kind of new games will be released for the system.

You are correct, story should not be an issue on the Switch, so I apologize for that.

In regards to mobility on the Switch, it just doesn't seem like a handheld to me. I have no problem putting my 3ds in my pocket or bag or anything else I use to carry things on my persons. I'm just not a huge fan a dropping an uncovered $300 piece of hardware into the same locations. I am having a difficult time describing how I feel on this in words. Is the Switch portable, yes. Is it a handheld? I don't feel that it is and that makes all of the difference to me for wanting to see a Pokémon core game released on it.

As for my last point, Nintendo could release a mandatory update tomorrow that disables ALL WiFi communication on ALL of their current handheld devices and there is NOTHING that consumers could do about it except gnash their teeth and whine. NOTHING. If they did that, we would all have to adapt to what they want or go somewhere else for what we want in games. What Nintendo/GF will do is what they will do, what we want them to do means nothing.

True, but that doesn't mean that the game on the Switch or an open world Pokémon game has to be core. We could get an open world type game from the Ranger or Mystery Dungeon games or even a looooong awaited sequel to Colosseum and XD games. Or they could combine a little bit of everything and make something new entirely.

It's possible it won't be, but unlikely. Exploration/open world is something that could easily work with the main series, and it would have a better chance of drawing in an audience with the main series than a spinoff. At best I could see them establishing a second branch of the core series, like what Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Odyssey and Metroid Prime are to Mario and Metroid respectively. But even in that case, Mario 64 and Metroid Prime were established as a separate line primarily because of the jump to 3D, whereas Pokemon is already a 3D game.

It's possible it won't be, but unlikely. Exploration/open world is something that could easily work with the main series, and it would have a better chance of drawing in an audience with the main series than a spinoff. At best I could see them establishing a second branch of the core series, like what Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Odyssey and Metroid Prime are to Mario and Metroid respectively. But even in that case, Mario 64 and Metroid Prime were established as a separate line primarily because of the jump to 3D, whereas Pokemon is already a 3D game.

Why? What makes the Switch any different from the N64, GameCube, Wii and Wii U?

Why? What makes the Switch any different from the N64, GameCube, Wii and Wii U?

Because it's both a handheld and a console. Game Freak stuck to handhelds in the past because they were portable, they were the only devices you could take with you on the go. But with the Switch, now you can take console games with you as well. Game Freak did admit in the past that they would be willing to develop games for a portable console.

Game Freak Says Don’t Expect A Pokemon RPG On Wii U Or Smartphones

But by the same token if you take the game home and you connect it through the internet, then you can do the same thing with other people who are also playing online at the same time. You can trade and battle with people you’ve not met before. We think this mode of play is bets possible with the Nintendo 3DS. If, for example, the Wii U were to be portable in its own right we’d probably reconsider. But for the moment we think the 3DS is the best device for Pokémon RPGs

Guess what? Now we have a console like the one they're describing (really makes you wonder if they knew anything about Nintendo wanting to make a hybrid console back then). So that definitely points towards Game Freak making main series games on the Switch.

@Bolt the Cat I think we may have to agree to disagree on this because after holding the system in my hand, I do not feel it is a true handheld. It's too big for you pocket, the joy cons feel too flimsy and easily detached from the screen and lastly the screen feels too vulnerable. I think it makes for a nice mobile console, not a handheld.

Well, it's likely that they will release a cheaper Switch revision that feels more portable. I highly doubt that it won't share the same library as the current Switch SKU, though.

Back
Top Bottom