• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo switch and pokemon

Of course Pokemon can work as an open world game. An open world does NOT require Action RPG mechanics. Really, you can make just about any genre open world. The only thing you need is an exploration based gameplay style (which Pokemon is) and a flexible difficulty system that accommodates player choices (i.e., they need to address level scaling to allow you to challenge gyms in any order, which is simple enough). Beyond that, the only thing holding Pokemon back from being open world is the developers themselves. Again, I don't see Pokemon going full open world but I can easily see Game Freak being more open minded about a freer gameplay style after seeing BotW's success and taking into account the preferences of their new console audience. We're already starting to see fans expecting that now.

I think they could incorporate something like..

Using a fire move on a bush will burn it, and will cause some wild Pokemon there to flee to us, and open up a hoarder battle. Air Slash can act like cut, to cut trees, and fighting moves can break boulders.

Yeah I think the Final Fantasy games also work like this (though it's been a while since I played one, so could be wrong). You encounter enemies in open world and it then turns into a turn based battle. I would love to see something like that for a Pokémon game, having to actively look for Pokémon in the environment.

You could have NPC's telling you where to find certain Pokémon for example, makes hunting for all of them a lot more fun imo. Adding BoTW's riding mechanic could be fun too, having to sneak up on rideable Pokémon, jumping on them and then having to calm them down before you can ride them.

I think it could be cool to implement aspects of both of these ideas. For example, imagine that in order to get past a rock you need to catch/ride a big Pokemon with a certain weight/size like Tauros or Rhydon. The problem is that there are none available for a couple routes. If you use a catch mechanic then you could wait a little later and catch one or get one traded to you and advance. Or to get past a bush you need a fire type Pokemon/move. This way the game could be a little more "realistic" and involved. "Why do need cut when I could just burn the bush" or "Oh, I can't break the rock because all of my pokemon are tiny." Also, it could aid in making the game non-linear because you could get past the bushes if you chose the fire starter or whatever.

Last edited:
I don't think Pokémon would fit the Switch. First off, the games save to the console, and you can't take the saves off of the console, meaning all of your beloved Pokémon will be dead if something happens to your Switch.
Cloud saves are being planned for the Switch.

Second, from what I can gather, the Switch has no capability to do multiplayer on two separate consoles unless both are connected to the internet, which would remove a key feature of Pokémon - the ability to trade and battle with people locally without being connected to the internet, something that has been a core component of the franchise since Gen I.
Mario Kart has local multiplayer without Internet (not sure on this but that is what I gather). You can even play 12 player with 6 consoles.

I'm assuming that if GF's making something for the Switch, it won't be Stars or Gen VIII. I'm guessing it could be something along the lines of the Stadium games.
As far as I know, GF dosen't make any kind of Pokemon Spin offs.

As far as I know, GF dosen't make any kind of Pokemon Spin offs.
Yeah, true. That said, the article which confirmed they're working on a Pokémon game for the Switch involved the CEO of The Pokémon Company, not Game Freak, stating they would support the console. He mentioned in the same article they (the Pokémon Company, not GF) make "more" than the main series, and specifically mentioned Pokkén Tournament and Mystery Dungeon.

The cloud saving thing definitely sounds like a good thing, though. Given how Bank has been pretty secure (aside from the fee, and I doubt that a cloud saving service would require a fee), it would work out well.

Back
Top Bottom