• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

NU Pokemon you wish were better?

Charizard requires a lot of support with Solar Power, but it is very powerful. I heard Fire Blast in the Sun (Assuming Specs) can 1HKO Blissey.

Hence why I mentioned people wanting to use only Pokemon who can single handedly wipe out a team by itself because they don't need support to be good. Just look at Tyranitar and Scizor for example.

In the fifth generation, neither Scizor nor Tyranitar will likely be sweeping teams by themselves. Scizor acts a utility check to specific threats and Tyranitar usually takes on a supporting role in most sandstorm teams.

I don't think you can fix that kind of la bel to any Pokémon, there's generally some sort of counter for any pokémon. Some are a bit overpowered, but not single handedly sweeping.

Outside of Arceus in OU and I think even then it might want Stealth Rock support for Sturdy. Anyways, I think he meant more reliable, I've seen Scizor sweep more often than Charizard, (But I haven't seen Tyranitar sweep as much.)

I think Charizard has reached his zenith. Outside of a BST boost (which wouldn't be fair to the other starters) or a type change (which ain't happeening,) there's nothing I can see Charizrd getting that would greatly improve his current performance. Charizard's curses are the x4 SR weakness and being outclased by other Fire types. Thats not somethhing you fix with Earth Power.

Last edited:
I think Charizard has reached his zenith. Outside of a BST boost (which wouldn't be fair to the other starters) or a type change (which ain't happeening,) there's nothing I can see Charizrd getting that would greatly improve his current performance. Charizard's curses are the x4 SR weakness and being outclased by other Fire types. Thats not somethhing you fix with Earth Power.

Earth Power is needed for him to counter those rock types before unleashing SR without relying on the inaccurate Focus Blast (unless Energy Ball's the better choice for it and other special-based fire types).

Earth Power is needed for him to counter those rock types before unleashing SR without relying on the inaccurate Focus Blast (unless Energy Ball's the better choice for it and other special-based fire types).
Its not the rock types that give charizard problem.
Its 3 factors:
1)stealth rock weakness
2)bulky water types
3)the abundance of rock type attack-holders.
The 3rd point means that even non-rock types get rock attacks (like infernape).
Charizard just cant cover all of these even with its new ability.

Its not the rock types that give charizard problem.
Its 3 factors:
1)stealth rock weakness
2)bulky water types
3)the abundance of rock type attack-holders.
The 3rd point means that even non-rock types get rock attacks (like infernape).
Charizard just cant cover all of these even with its new ability.

Then surely Charizard doesn't deserve the title as the most popular non-mascot Pokemon in the series, which saddens me. :(

I think butterfree should be much better. Without butterfree, Brock would have owned me in yellow.

It has Quiver Dance, Sleep Powder, Bug Buzz, and a choice between CompoundEyes (97.5% accurate Sleep Powder) and Tinted Lens (near-perfect neutral coverage in Bug Buzz alone). Not factoring in a BST overhaul (which will never happen), Butterfree's at its peak.

It has Quiver Dance, Sleep Powder, Bug Buzz, and a choice between CompoundEyes (97.5% accurate Sleep Powder) and Tinted Lens (near-perfect neutral coverage in Bug Buzz alone). Not factoring in a BST overhaul (which will never happen), Butterfree's at its peak.

Unless it were to get a move that would always hit and be a one-hit KO (I'm thinking they would call it Jugular Stab), I agree.

Last edited:
Castform because it's got such a useful movepool, and Ariados and Furret because I love them lol

Its not the rock types that he has to be afraid of. Common pokemon that set up stealth rock include Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Swampert. He already has an advantage against two of those and lets face it, once they've done their job, they have no reason to stick around.

Hypothetical battle time: Lets say they start a battle with Skarmory and you start one with Adorable McCutie. They set up SR on your switch to Charizard and you're already screwed. Next turn, they'll switch Skarmory to their Charizardkiller4000 and you'll have to switch out yourself if you wanna survive. SR is now on the field and next time you summon Charizard, he'll lose half his health. Throw in solar power recoil, possible LO recoil and the chance that you'll switch into an attack and Charizrd practically kills himself.

Last edited:
That's why Rapid Spin will forever be an absolute necessity when using Charizard. Otherwise, it's practically dead weight.

If smogon says it's outclassed by Venemoth when it comes to Quiver Dance, then you bet Butterfree needs to improve its niche more.

That's why Rapid Spin will forever be an absolute necessity when using Charizard. Otherwise, it's practically dead weight.

Then I can't use Charizard in my dream team. I can't even even pick one of the fire/fighting types because Lucario's included on my dream team, and neither Typholsion because it's not my favorite (I'm planning on using three different starters from three different regions for it).

If smogon says it's outclassed by Venemoth when it comes to Quiver Dance, then you bet Butterfree needs to improve its niche more.
There's practically nothing logical that it can do for that, though. When NU comes, Butterfree will drop there. Of course, I predict that it'll shine there. It might be the Volcarona of NU: extremely weak to Stealth Rock, but a freakin' monster after enough Quiver Dances.

There's practically nothing logical that it can do for that, though. When NU comes, Butterfree will drop there. Of course, I predict that it'll shine there. It might be the Volcarona of NU: extremely weak to Stealth Rock, but a freakin' monster after enough Quiver Dances.

But it's also important for Pokemon to avoid being in NU because it means an eternity of being mocked by snobby players, who are dominating today's competitive battles from other series.

How would it compare with the other Butterfly Dancers? Mothim has a higher Special Attack, Air Slash, and Tinted Lens, but it has slightly lower speed. Masquerain has Intimidate, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Scald, Air Slash, slower and weaker than both, loses Psychic, but gets Baton Pass instead. The other two are just jokes, so I didn't include them.

Precisely. Now to put it in perspective. Why do I have to waste a slot on a spinner so Charizard can sweep when things like Heatran and the monkeys do the job just as well with a lot less support and less (or no) weakness to Stealth Rock?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom