• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

Why is the data of all pokemon there if they don’t plan on including the entire dex?

I suppose the official strategy guide didn’t reveal how to obtain the costumes. However, couldn’t someone try to hack the game to discover the requirements to obtain them?
I asked Anubis (https://twitter.com/Sibuna_Switch) when they told me about this on Showdown. This is what I got

[12:46:10] @Ransei: hmm, why do you think Gamefreak made this difference between SV and SwSh here?
[12:48:00] x: One thing is it's less stupid to track whether you've seen a mon or not.
[12:48:39] x: e.g. in SWSH, they couldn't tell if you had ever encountered a mon that wasn't in dex, and GO transfers only let you import mons that you had seen before, so they were checking your boxes for you to have a Genesect at that moment before letting you import it.
[12:49:11] x: SV is currently tracking mons that aren't in the dex, which you can see if you try to restore backup data. You'll have more than 400 if you completed dex and caught some mighty raids.
[12:49:44] : A lot of the game was refactored for their new system so maybe they just decided to have all the data.
[12:49:53] @Ransei: ah okay

(I kept their account anonymous)

Not sure if this is actually trivia (because I'm not sure if it's intentional), but I find it very interesting that Sw/Sh made the Ghost-type Gym Leader Allister left-handed. There's superstitions across multiple cultures equating left-handedness with unluckiness, witchcraft, and/or general diabolical shenanigans (the word "sinister" actually straight-up means "left-handed" in Latin). All of that is thematically fitting for the Ghost-type, so making Allister left-handed might be a reference to those superstitions. (In which case, having him ultimately be a regular, shy kid under the spooky quirks might reference that those superstitions really are just superstitions. As a lefty myself, I'd approve wholeheartedly of that representation.) Again though, while fitting, I'm not sure if this is intentional.

I also find it interesting that Mr. Hand-Picked-by-the-League-Chairman Bede is left-handed, since left-handedness is often seen as a desirable quality in real-life sports. This probably has a higher likelihood of being intentional, given the overall sports theming of Sword and Shield.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this but to add to Viridian's reply:
Hassel from the Paldean Elite Four is also left-handed. Left-handed people are considered "more creative" than right-handed people because they use one part of the brain more (thought I'm pretty sure it's just a myth and you use both parts of your brain the same amount regardless of dominant hand), and he's the art teacher of the Academy!

And I'm going to add my own obscure trivia here!
I'm not sure if this counts but in the Spanish version of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, the Elite Four member Rika speaks with a sourthern vocabulary (which is considered more "casual" or even rude in Spanish media) but she completely drops it during the Pokémon League interview.
Similarly Marnie and Piers in Sword and Shield also use a sourthern/Andalusian vocabulary (and even swear at some parts lmao).

In Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, some wild Pokémon have either 10% or 50% chance to flee from wild encounters. Some Pokémon have coded flee rates even though they are not found in wild, such as Togetic, Eevee, Umbreon (but not Espeon), and Porygon.
In fact the Fast Ball was designed primarily to make it easier to catch those Pokémon, but due to a bug in the game's coding it only applied the increased catch rate to 3 Pokémon, those being Magnemite, Grimer, and Tangela. When the Apricorn Balls finally returned in Gen IV in HGSS the Fast Ball was changed so that it now works better on Pokémon with a Speed stat greater than 100.

In the Japanese Red and Green if the player evolves their starter before delivering Oak's Parcel the game will believe that you already have the Pokedex in your possession when you actually don't, thus softlocking the game and preventing the player from traveling past Viridian City as you can't deliver Oak's Parcel and receive the Pokedex so the old man blocking the way to Route 2 will not move. This was fixed in Blue and the international versions.
Due to a typo in the code of the Gen 1 games every attack except for Swift and Bide has a 1 in 255 chance of missing. It was rumored that this also applied to Poke Balls as well, thus making it possible for a Master Ball to fail, but this is not the case.
Ghost/Poison and Poison/Flying are currently the longest lasting unique type combinations, as they have been exclusive to the Gastly line and the Zubat line respectively since Gen 1.
Dragon/Psychic is currently the longest lasting legendary exclusive type combination. It was first used in Gen 3 and has only appeared on the Latis and Ultra Necrozma.
Rockruff can have more abilities than any other Pokémon, as it has four different abilities it can have, those being Keen Eye, Vital Spirit, Steadfast, and Own Tempo.
Zygarde currently has the most signature moves on any Pokémon, with four, those being Land's Wrath, Core Enforcer, Thousand Waves, and Thousand Arrows. Although in the Gen 2 games Hitmonlee tied its record, with Mega Kick, Jump Kick, Hi Jump Kick, and Rolling Kick all being exclusive to it.

Vulpix and Ninetales' respective Kitakami Pokedex numbers are #37 and #38. These are the exact dex numbers they have in the Kanto Dex and by extension the National Dex

I'm sure there are other cases like this throughout the series, but this one I specifically noticed during my initial playthrough of Teal Mask

Last edited:
I have a great youtuber for stuff like this named Blueboyfin
One of the ones I learned from a vid of his is that there exists a one of a kind shiny Pokémon that can never be obtained again and it’s a shiny tailow that knows tailwind from the old “abandoned” pokepark (abandoned is in quotes cause i have never seen proof it was abandoned cause no photos exist of it abandoned)

The original entrance to the pokeathalon in HGGS was going to be the national park and it is accessible via an unused warp still accessible in game (albeit via a walk through walls cheat) to a random loading zone into a gate area that has the pokeathalon music

The move Kinesis is unlearnable by any Pokémon in Red & Blue and will only ever appear as a result of using Metronome. Starting in Pokémon Yellow and continuing on through Sword & Shield (although it originally wasn't available in those games but was later added back via the version 1.2.0 update), the move became the signature move of Kadabra and Alakazam.

So this is actually trivia about a manga but... it still takes place in gameverse and fully follows gameverse so?? I need everyone to know that in Pokemon Zensho Bill has a some kind of nonbinary moment thinking it'd be really interesting to create a new gender of Nidoran and it's so funny to me.

a27a1aa373373096c638686af84b00c5ace4c89d.png

The False Dragon Trial is the only challenge in all of Scarlet and Violet that specifically requires Koraidon or Miraidon in order to reach. While the box legendary is used in Grusha's Gym Trial, you don't need them to reach the Gym in the first place.
The Normal type didn't have a plate until Legends Arceus. The reason why it was created was due to the absence of held items in the game and the plates being reworked into key items that only work on Arceus, so a Normal type plate was needed to switch Arceus back into its default Normal type.
Generation 5 is the only gen since Generation 1 where no old Pokémon received any new evolutions, pre-evolutions, or forms.
In your first visit to XY's Route 2 the first encounter is scripted to always be a Pidgey.
Iron Thorns isn't the first time that a robotic Tyranitar has appeared in the games, with the first being a PokeStar Studios antagonist in Black and White 2. Both are massive references to MechaGodzilla, as Tyranitar himself is based on Godzilla.
Iron Jugulis's name is completely made up, as its original Japanese name (Iron Head) is unusable in the English versions due to it also being the name of a move. The word "jugulis" comes from the Latin word "jugulum" which means "neck" or "throat".
Chimecho was added near the very end of Ruby and Sapphire's development as its index number is at the very end of the list, after even the Legendaries and Mythicals. The Ralts line was also placed alongside the pseudo-Legendaries, meaning that possibly Gardevoir was originally intended to be a pseudo before that idea was scrapped and the Ralts line was instead placed in the early game.
In Gen 1, if a Pokémon's HP is either 255 or 511 hit points below their max HP they cannot use any recovery moves.
Rage was incredibly busted in Gen 1. It would lock you into using only Rage until you either fainted or switched out, and only the initial use will cost any PP. It missing will cause the Pokémon to have a very small chance of landing any subsequent attacks. This was used to infamously instigate a softlock in Lorelei's E4 room.
Certain trainers in Gen 1 have what is known as "Smart AI", where they will try to use moves of a type that is super-effective against the target, even if its a status move, as the above softlock can be used to combine together a Fighting-type using Rage and her Dewgong using Rest to create a battle that will never end.

Back
Top Bottom