• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Persona 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
You see, I loved Persona 3. Really really enjoyed the characters, plot, atmosphere, tone, symbolism, and just about everything about the game. I'd say it trumps P4 as my favorite JRPG of all time if not for one thing.

I hated, absolutely despised the battle mechanics (FES). There were a few stand out moments where I lost hours of game play based on the partner AI. I could pretty much ignore it until the ten part final boss. During that fight, I think I was more frustrated than I've ever been with a video game. Combine Yukari, who healed no one despite given orders to, the boss itself, which had abilities ranging from taking control of your party to instant kill moves, to the fact that the battle lasts over an hour altogether to make a super frustrating fight. Though I can definitely respect your opinion, Jack.

Other than that though, the game is great. But, that personal problem gave Persona 4 a slight edge over 3 for me. I hope Persona 5 takes the best aspects of both and learns from the mistakes of both. From what I've seen so far, the game is looking great.

Sorry to rant or anything! I enjoy a good discussion.

Now that you mention it, I had pretty good luck with the party AI, based on some of the horror stories I've been told. The worst that ever happened to me was Aigis doing a single-target attack when I needed her to do a multi-target attack during a certain boss fight. If Akihiko hadn't picked up the slack immediately after that, I might understand your suffering more. ;P The big one I hear from people is when somebody gets Charmed during the final boss and uses Mediarahan on the final boss to heal it fully. That never happened to me, but man, I feel for the poor folks who went through that.

Honestly, from my perspective, I was pretty impressed with some of the things the AI was capable of. I don't remember too many examples where I was giving my TV screen a thumbs-up Top Gun-style, but it happened. By taking away the privilege of direct party control, those kids felt more like real individuals, in my opinion. I wonder if Persona 5 is gonna keep the choice available to the player whenever they want to do it that way, like 4 did. Based on what you said, though, I take it you like Portable the best, or you would if you played it?

Now that you mention it, I had pretty good luck with the party AI, based on some of the horror stories I've been told. The worst that ever happened to me was Aigis doing a single-target attack when I needed her to do a multi-target attack during a certain boss fight. If Akihiko hadn't picked up the slack immediately after that, I might understand your suffering more. ;P The big one I hear from people is when somebody gets Charmed during the final boss and uses Mediarahan on the final boss to heal it fully. That never happened to me, but man, I feel for the poor folks who went through that.

Honestly, from my perspective, I was pretty impressed with some of the things the AI was capable of. I don't remember too many examples where I was giving my TV screen a thumbs-up Top Gun-style, but it happened. By taking away the privilege of direct party control, those kids felt more like real individuals, in my opinion. I wonder if Persona 5 is gonna keep the choice available to the player whenever they want to do it that way, like 4 did. Based on what you said, though, I take it you like Portable the best, or you would if you played it?

Maybe I was just really unlucky, but stuff like that happened to me all the time xD

I really like the idea of not controlling your party, it's just that the technology may not have been there yet. P4 gave both of the styles of game play as options and I used both and enjoyed both. However, I still prefer having control over my party. That may be because I'm used to Final Fantasy as opposed to games like Tales in which you don't control your teammates.

I've actually never played P3P, as I don't own a PSP. I'd definitely like to.

Going to be playing Captain Obvious here, but if anyone has happened to spoil themselves on Persona 5 stuff due to it being released in Japan already, please remember to put it in spoiler tags. That said... I'm looking forward to the game's release. It's pretty cool to have demons as enemies again. =w=;

Playing SMT4 Apocalypse/Final at the moment. Liking it so far, glad it starts off a lot faster than SMT4.

But dang, Nanashi needs some food in him, he's like a skeleton.

All the DLC costumes they've announced so far look really cool. The Persona 1 set will probably be the first one I grad.

Only a month left! The temptation to look at more trailers is very high, but I'm trying so hard to remain unspoiled.

Hey, now that the game's been out for about two months, let's bump this, shall we?

I'm in love with this game. I'm playing it one in-game day for every real-life day, meaning I'm at May 28th in the game, which is not very far into it despite having logged about 25 hours I think. (These games are extremely long, for the uninitiated.) So far, I think I can safely say that this game has lived up to the hype better than any other game I've been excited for. The game-play is tight, the balancing act between going to school and fighting monsters is just as tense as ever, seeing all of these beloved demon designs being given a new coat of polygonal paint is delightful, and most importantly for me, the story is just as gripping as the previous games. I learned recently that this will be the last Persona game with Katsura Hashino in the director's seat, which makes me very sad, but he has made an indelible mark in gaming history, and in my life. In ten years of being P Team's ringleader there have only been three main Persona games, but this series is a better example of "quality over quantity" than any other, and those three games - Persona 3, Persona 4, and now Persona 5 - are some of the best I've ever played.

>Opening post me thought that Persona 5 would come out in late 2015. Oh how foolish I was.

In all seriousness though, I love Persona 5. At least enough to be in my second run, totaling over one hundred hours thus far. I do have my complaints, but I will say that they are minuscule compared to the sheer amount of fun I have had playing through this game. The gameplay, despite my inital skepticism, is fun, engaging, and never gets old. Luckily, Persona 5 does not suffer from one of the typical curses of JRPGs, grinding. I don't recall grinding at all throughout the entire game, actually. I found it all to be great fun, with the exception of a few select puzzles in a few select Palaces.

If I am true to myself, however, I cannot say that Persona 5 is my favorite game in the series. While P5 does some things extremely well, I believe that P3 and P4G handled character development, villain motivations, and social links better than the most recent entry. Persona 5 does have some really good characters, but I only feel as if I connected with two or three of the main cast. I don't know, the Phantom Thieves never felt as close knit as the friendly Inaba crew or the more distant group of SEES. This is all kinda subjective, but it still bothered me a great deal. Regardless, I liked a few of the characters quite a bit, as you may have noticed with my recent themes.

TL;DR: I love P5, but I'm still a filthy P4 fanboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom