• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Plot Bunny Zoo

...I'm curious as to why you think deterring humans from consuming said enhancers with an ingredient that'll harm them would be an idea considered at all?

Nitrous oxide - Wikipedia

Sulfur dioxide is added to automotive nitrous to deter inhalant abuse.

Also, I didn't say it'll do them permanent harm. The additive might be something like an emetic or it might give the abuser a massive hangover or something unpleasant but yet harmless.

Drakon: Do you intend for people to use enhancers knowingly and purposefully, or do you mean that they somehow accidentally are exposed to them? And an alternative to having some sort of emetic or irritant added could simply be that due to physiological differences between humans and pokémon, there are unwelcome side effects. There are several substances that affect different species differently, drugs that work fine in one species but not in another and so on. If they use it knowingly, why would they do that? If you come up with answers to such questions, I think the idea could work.

What do you guys think of it?

Hm, well ... depends. As a reader I'm wary of "fix it fics" because they all too easily read more like an essay or a collection of notes than a story.

There's nothing wrong with using characters as a way to tell the invented history, as such, though I suspect the challenge would be to do that in a compelling way that avoids the characters acting as lecturers - spending most of their time incongruously thinking about contemporary Alola. The other thing I'd be wary of is making Alolan history implausibly small. I mean, if the major players in each episode of Alolan history were somehow closely related to the main protagonists in the present day that would snap my suspension of disbelief like a rubber band (It was done well in Blackadder Back and Forth, but because it was extending an established joke).

Perhaps you might be better off focusing on one major event as a short story (I'd personally pick the settlement of the islands by Kantoese migrants). That way you could focus your research on specific events and give it a real sense of verisimilitude, that would be tough to do if you were to try and write even a few events over the space of a couple of millennia

Hm, well ... depends. As a reader I'm wary of "fix it fics" because they all too easily read more like an essay or a collection of notes than a story.

There's nothing wrong with using characters as a way to tell the invented history, as such, though I suspect the challenge would be to do that in a compelling way that avoids the characters acting as lecturers - spending most of their time incongruously thinking about contemporary Alola. The other thing I'd be wary of is making Alolan history implausibly small. I mean, if the major players in each episode of Alolan history were somehow closely related to the main protagonists in the present day that would snap my suspension of disbelief like a rubber band (It was done well in Blackadder Back and Forth, but because it was extending an established joke).

Perhaps you might be better off focusing on one major event as a short story (I'd personally pick the settlement of the islands by Kantoese migrants). That way you could focus your research on specific events and give it a real sense of verisimilitude, that would be tough to do if you were to try and write even a few events over the space of a couple of millennia
After some thinking, the story already be running into problems. The biggest one is that whole new characters have to be introduced after an x amount of time and you and the reader have to keep track of who's related to who, and this can be challenging even with the family tree available. With this, the reader will get bored and then just stop reading. When writing the story, you have to try to keep it interesting so the reader can keep on reading, even when you try to make the story fun the readers would have already left. Another problem with the story is that if Gamefreak releases a new game after Sun and Moon and the game tells more about Alola's past, the fan fic itself will just be thrown out the window and people will see it as silly along with boring. When wanting to write about what you think happened in a region's past, you're better off making a head canon with a list of major events that happened since it won't bored the reader and you don't need to introduce whole new characters after some time had passed. For example with Alola,

• Travelers from a far away land reaches the four islands of what will become Alola and settles in one of the islands.
  • Two weeks later, they meet Tapu Koko for the first time.

I do have an idea of making a story that at one point in the past around 200 years ago, the entire Pokemon world is at war until it went into peace when the war ends.

First and foremost, thank you everyone for your thoughts and feedback on my idea.

Second, allow me to clarify some things about the story in question:

• The individuals involved are not scientists, but they have scientists who work for them and they have both been briefed about the substance.
  • They have absolutely no regard for anyone's well-being, they only care for the product's efficacy and profit to be made selling it on the black market.
  • As for how the substance makes it into their systems... all I will say is that one of them was not quite in his right mind when he jabbed that needle into his arm.

Drakon: Do you intend for people to use enhancers knowingly and purposefully, or do you mean that they somehow accidentally are exposed to them? And an alternative to having some sort of emetic or irritant added could simply be that due to physiological differences between humans and pokémon, there are unwelcome side effects. There are several substances that affect different species differently, drugs that work fine in one species but not in another and so on. If they use it knowingly, why would they do that? If you come up with answers to such questions, I think the idea could work.

I'm not the one proposing this idea. Some else is doing so.

Okay, I've been toying around with making a story about the Ultra Beasts, and make it very... Eldritch, I guess. That would probably be the most accurate turn. Obviously, it'd be horror focused, and the Ultra Beasts would be these strange, malevolent creatures that attack on sight, aiming to kill. The chapters wouldn't be one cohesive story, and wouldn't share anything aside from the world and one or two characters, so it'd really be like a collection of one shots in a way.

Okay, I've been toying around with making a story about the Ultra Beasts, and make it very... Eldritch, I guess. That would probably be the most accurate turn. Obviously, it'd be horror focused, and the Ultra Beasts would be these strange, malevolent creatures that attack on sight, aiming to kill. The chapters wouldn't be one cohesive story, and wouldn't share anything aside from the world and one or two characters, so it'd really be like a collection of one shots in a way.

So basically, H.P Lovecraft but with Pokemon.

I like it.

While I don't have any plans for writing fics soon, I do have a few ideas that I think warrants discussion in a general context.

How would you handle Alternate times lines? Would you go for a Nail scenario where one changed detail makes the world unrecognizable, or one where the change would not matter and everything goes on as planned. (Some are Canon-Mixing) Examples including.
  • Adding Anime Fuji's backstory to the game charterer: The first scenario would had effects on his psyche as he would be trying again to bring his daughter back to life, possibly attempting to get into non-cloning methods (like a certain weapon in Kalos). The latter scenario might just be him finally accepting his loss (and moving to lavender Town, a town that symbolizes death)
    • Fuji Flashpoint Paradox: An addition to the above rising ont he Nail apsect, where he succeeded on his goals on revival. Depending on the methods use. Such a thing would had caused consequences in Kanto and Kalos, with side effects on the other regions. Ranging into a debate on cloning, to Fuji being a modern day version of AZ. But I would not invoke the comicbook story or the TV show's arc of the same name if that was the extent of it. The ramifications being this would result in different Gym leaders, Team Flair having an easier time using the Weapon and certain regions being decimated. The Kalos quintet may not even exist as a result of this leaving Flare with less opposition.
  • Lillie having an Alolan Vulpix: On the one hand having a pokemon besides Cosmog would mean she is in a better position to defend Nebby, which would have ramifications involving her outlook on pokemon battling, and the protagonist's role in the story. On the other hand. a Vulpix or Nintales would be a single pokemon so limitations might come into play (Though she always seem to have a surplus of potions for that).
  • The existence of the Ultimate Weapon: This is more of exploration of a divergence rather than one itself. But such a premise would dive into the Ultra Beast and if they had really affected the pre-mega 'verse.
  • Nobody Move: Every prominent charatcer stays in their region of birth. This would affect Hoenn and Alola most, as neither protagonist were native to those regions (May and Brendan were form Johto and the SuMo protagonists were form Kanto) In Hoenn, the results could range from Wally being stuck at home with Aqua and Magma having free reign, or a simple "power vacuum" that can be filled by the opposite gender protagonist (sine they ARE native to Hoenn), regardless the 5th Leader will change. Alola's a similar case. as it is also speculated that Lillie and her family are not native to Alola, the effect might be more drastic as all the major players in the conflict would not be there to play their roles. Leaving Alola without a conflict, but if Lillie and Lusamine are native, then Lillie would be alone with only Nebby and no way to defend them, or Hau, or even Gladion might come to aid her in the player's place, or the nail side of the Vulpix example would happen instead.

Basically how you you view timeline changes? As a "major" force (where one detail snowballs out of control in expected or unexpected ways) or a "minor force" (where the changes would eventually reset itself to stabilizes without rippling into other parts of the timeline)?

While this is still not going to happen any time soon. I've started drafting out how my chapters of The History of Shoyo will go. Some knowledge of real-life Japanese history would be beneficial. Keep in mind, however, that the history in Shoyo would increasingly diverge from that of RL!Japan as time goes further into the modern era. This fiction will also involve alternate-universe portrayals of real-life historical Japanese figures up to the 1950s, but some may not necessarily do the same thing as their real-life counterparts would.

Ch 1: Overture

Ch 2: The Stone Age

Ch 3: Jomon Era 縄文時代

Ch 4: 300BC-300AD Yayoi Era 弥生時代: The birth of a nation

Ch 5: 300AD-700AD Kofun-Arufu Eras 古墳・阿瑠布時代: The rise of Yamato
Special 1: Hayato Kondo and the Oumi Fujiwara clan​

Ch 6: 700-1200 Kikyo-Heian Eras 桔梗・平安時代: Imperial refinement
Special 2: Matsuba, Kikuko, and Tamesuke Reizei

Ch 7: 1200-1350 Kuchiba Era 朽葉時代: The rise of the Samurais

Ch 8: 1350-1600 Muromachi-Sengoku Eras 室町・戦国時代: A country divided and discovered
Special 3: Ibuki and Wataru Fusube and the House and Domain of Fusube​

Ch 9: 1600-1750 Edo Era 江戸時代: The Shogun is here to stay.
Special 4: Erika, Ieyasu, and Yoshinobu: The Tokugawa Ancestry
Special 5: Hyota, Tougan, and Masanobu Sumitomo: The Sumitomo Group

Ch 10: 1750-1820 Bakumatsu Era 幕末: Pacific Overtures
Sec 10.1: Naikan gaiyu 内患外憂 (Internal strife and external worries)
Sec 10.2: The Black Ships arrive
Sec 10.3: Imperial Restoration​

Ch 11: 1820-1860 Bunsei Era 文政時代: Opening the country
Sec 11.1: The Last Samurais
Sec 11.2: Opening the country
Special 6: Melissa Fantina Morton: Revisiting her advising ancestors
Sec 11.3: Transfiguration
Special 7: Natsume, Shonosuke, and Shozo Manakano: From a humble Hoenn home to the University of London​

Ch 12: 1860-1910 Meiji Era 明治時代: Rising Ambition
Sec 12.1: Oitsuke, oikose! 追いつけ、追い越せ!(Catch up and overtake!)
Special 8: Takeshi, Tsutsuji, and Yataro Iwasaki: The Mitsubishi Group​
Sec 12.2: Datsu-a Nyu-o 脱亜入欧 (Out from Asia and into Europe)
Special 9: Architects Denji and Yorinaka Tsumaki
Sec 12.3: Saxonia [Britain] of the East
Special 10: Goyo and Soseki Natsume: Modern Shoyoese Literature
Special 11: Feng and Lan Zhao (Fu and Ran Cho): Through the eyes of a Tsin'ese student​

Ch 13: 1910-1930 Taisho Era 大正時代: Tradition and Modernity
Sec 13.1: World War I
Sec 13.2: The Treaty of Parfum
Sec 13.3: Modern Boy, Modern Girl​

Ch 14: 1930-1945 Showa Era 昭和時代: Dictatorship and Democracy
Sec 14.1: Great Depression
Sec 14.2: Invasion of Asia
Sec 14.3: World War II
Sec 14.4: The rise of the Shoyoese Republicans
Special 13: Sakaki Sumiyoshi and the Tojo Government​

Ch 15: 1945-1965 Early Heisei Era 平成時代前期: The Sun rises again
Sec 15.1: A new start
Sec 15.2: Fact-findings and reconstruction
Sec 15.3: The World Stage, once again​

Ch 16: 1965-1990 Middle Heisei Era 平成時代中期: Questions and Answers
Sec 16.1: Communist insurgence (The birth of Team Plasma)
Sec 16.2: Environmental decline (The birth of the Eco Warriors)
Sec 16.3: Does money buy happiness? (The birth of the grassroots)
Sec 16.4: The revival of the Right (The birth of Team Rocket)​

Ch 17: 1990-2000: Those moving ahead, Those left behind
Sec 17.1: Economic maturity
Sec 17.2: Pluralisation of society
Sec 17.3: Team Aqua & Team Magma
Sec 17.4: 1996 and 1999 Coup Attempts (by Team Rocket)
Sec 17.5: Team Galactic Incident​

Ch 18: Epilogue 2000-2010: May the sun never set

For those that are puzzled by my headcanon descriptions of certain characters, please have a look at:
Kanto Characters - Headcanon
Johto Characters - Headcanon
Hoenn Characters - Headcanon
Sinnoh Characters - Headcanon

Back when humans were alive, Mewtwo was created for humans to understand pokemon on a more sentient level, and bridge the gap between humans and pokemon. With a single touch, he could collect and analyze the memes of humans and other pokemon in order to better understand the world around him. But with the humans now long gone, Mewtwo believes his original purpose died with them. Now he seeks out to find a new place in the world.

With a single touch, he could collect and analyze the memes of humans and other pokemon in order to better understand the world around him.
Umm... typo?

Anyway, I've recently had an idea for a story about a Togechick who wants to make others happy but is unhappy herself, inspired by a oneshot I wrote back when I was first getting into writing fanfiction. (Also, Togechick is one of two Pokémon I refer to by their Japanese names; Cosmovum is the other one.)

A few years ago, there was a thread on this forum about creating Mirror World versions of characters, based on that XY episode. I find that concept really interesting and would love to read a fanfic about it, but I don't want to write one myself because I'm not big on the anime. My personal favourite headcanon was that Mirror Narrator mocked everyone.

A few years ago, there was a thread on this forum about creating Mirror World versions of characters, based on that XY episode. I find that concept really interesting and would love to read a fanfic about it, but I don't want to write one myself because I'm not big on the anime. My personal favourite headcanon was that Mirror Narrator mocked everyone.
I did something (kind of similar) using random number generation and switching the roles of the characters. Of course some of the swaps ended up very odd and now we have Lillie trying to freeze and take over Unova and Red trying to destroy the universe to make way for his own.

I did something (kind of similar) using random number generation and switching the roles of the characters. Of course some of the swaps ended up very odd and now we have Lillie trying to freeze and take over Unova and Red trying to destroy the universe to make way for his own.
Best Game of All Time 2k12. XD

One thing you've got to be careful when doing character swaps is to make sure how the character's personalities would fit into their new roles, instead of making them mini-mes of the character whose role they're replacing.

Best Game of All Time 2k12. XD

One thing you've got to be careful when doing character swaps is to make sure how the character's personalities would fit into their new roles, instead of making them mini-mes of the character whose role they're replacing.
The idea is that I would need to change the character's motivations for achieving those goals, without changing the goals themselves. If Lillie wants to freeze Unova, it probably won't be for the same reason the original Ghetsis wanted to!

Back
Top Bottom