• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poke Egg Patterns

PurplePopplio

Gone again for who knows how long. :/
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Any
With Pokemon possibly moving to console with the potential Stars, do you think that Pokemon Eggs will finally have their own patterns which show which Pokemon is on the inside?

Like this Chinchou Egg from the anime, for example:
Chinchou%20Egg.png

For a short and realistic answer I would have to say no.

But if they did....

Well, they'd have to customise over 700 Eggs. A console should be able to handle this. A handheld not so much.
It's just a matter of models. A handheld should be able to handle more models just fine, especially when they're all similar in shape and don't do much.

It wouldn't even be models - it would just be texture patterns. And since only the lowest non-evolved form would hatch, they would need around 306 different egg textures, since Legendaries and Mythicals don't hatch.

I don't think this is an issue of the console's power (since as mentioned, its only texture patterns for ~300 eggs) but an issue of human resources. Would Game Freak really want devote that much time to design 300+ unique eggs? When they made gender differences in Gen IV, they were very minimal and promptly dropped that idea in Gen V.

I don't think this is an issue of the console's power (since as mentioned, its only texture patterns for ~300 eggs) but an issue of human resources. Would Game Freak really want devote that much time to design 300+ unique eggs? When they made gender differences in Gen IV, they were very minimal and promptly dropped that idea in Gen V.
Gender differences have been around since Gen 3, and it kept going till gen 6- List of Pokémon with gender differences - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia The newer differences are a lot stronger, so that may be the reason for the decline.

More on-topic, it seems that it might not be hard to design them-they're based on already-existing Pokemon, so there's plenty to work off of-but I can see how making sure each works out right could be troublesome.

I doubt it. Like others have said, it being on a home console has nothing with it, it's just a change of texture. If the games can handle all players wearing completely different kinds of clothes, it can handle different Egg patterns. It's just a lot of work, and there's very little to gain from it. It's fun to see, but you only really see it when hatching the Egg, so it's just not worth all the work. I'd rather see them spend that time to improve other things.

No, they could've done that even on the DS if they really wanted to.

They probally can already.
Will they, or should they make a very small cosmetic change?

There is one sure thing that species-specific Egg patterns (which are canon to the anime) would do, and it's not necessarily good:

Any time you're gifted an Egg from an NPC, you'll immediately be able to know (or find out) what it will hatch into. So unless it's something you've absolutely never seen before (of which Togepi is the only proper example) there's no mystery about what will hatch.

What's the use?
Most of the time, you already know what the egg will hatch to because you bred it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom