• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

When Dawn's Ambipom left to go with someone to start doing the pin-pong thing, she was never seen again. There was no mention of her from Dawn when she was in Johto even though she's in the same region as her Ambipom, there was a few moments where Dawn and mention her Ambipom to Ash to let him know how she's doing.

Like the post above, the departure of Dawn's Ambipom. I just hated how Ambipom ditched Dawn to pursue ping-pong, especially considering she was a notably good Contest performer on Dawn's team, and letting go of her like that made her talents feel like an absolute waste.

I thought that Ambipom was in Vermillion City, so it would be in Kanto instead of Johto. It sill would have been nice for Dawn to check on her Ambipom though. They made a mention of where the ping pong training area was, so it did give the viewers some hope that they'd at least be able to see Ambipom again. Although, I still kind of hate how they got rid of Ambipom in the first place. It felt such a shame after how much buildup they had for Aipom being more into Contests than regular battles and Ambipom deserved to be in the Grand Festival way more than Togekiss too.

When Dawn's Ambipom left to go with someone to start doing the pin-pong thing, she was never seen again. There was no mention of her from Dawn when she was in Johto even though she's in the same region as her Ambipom, there was a few moments where Dawn and mention her Ambipom to Ash to let him know how she's doing.

Who still remember that Ash has a Primeape? He didn't even release it, but we no longer see it.
And Pidgeot? Ash made a promise.

It was in the Japanese version as well iirc, Pokemoa/Soara even jokes about it in his fanarts.

I thought I heard about it being added in the dub at some point. That would make sense given 4Kids and even the part of his Gym battle with Falkner where he talked about going to see his old friend someday would fit with how 4Kids ignored their own dub plot holes before. But I must have been mistaken here.

I thought I heard about it being added in the dub at some point. That would make sense given 4Kids and even the part of his Gym battle with Falkner where he talked about going to see his old friend someday would fit with how 4Kids ignored their own dub plot holes before. But I must have been mistaken here.
Checked the Japanese episode just to confirm it. He says "After I'm done with my task, I'll come right back" (用事を済ませたら直ぐに帰ってくるから). The task being his errand for Dr. Orchid concerning the GS Ball in the Orange Islands.

Last edited:
Checked the Japanese episode just to confirm it. He says "After I'm done with my task, I'll come right back" (用事を済ませたら直ぐに帰ってくるから). The task being his errand for Dr. Orchid concerning the GS Ball in the Orange Islands.

Talking about the GS Ball. A Celebi appeared in the anime even after appearing in the 4th movie, but this Ball wasn't brought up.

BW should have been set in an AU because there's no way BW Ash was the same person as the DP Ash.
And how did the TRio become competent overnight?

It would have been cool if Brock's Mudkip had evolved into a Swampert back in AG. It was the first time they split the starter Pokemon among the main cast and it would have been cool if they all had the final forms by the end of the series. Granted, it took forever for Brock's Mudkp to evolve into a Mashtomp, it really wasn't a good idea to give Brock a Mudkip when he had the much more interesting and memorable Lotad and even May didn't get her Blaziken until just before the series ended. Still, it would have been a neat way to have all three starters' evolved forms on the main cast for once.

It would have been cool if Brock's Mudkip had evolved into a Swampert back in AG. It was the first time they split the starter Pokemon among the main cast and it would have been cool if they all had the final forms by the end of the series. Granted, it took forever for Brock's Mudkp to evolve into a Mashtomp, it really wasn't a good idea to give Brock a Mudkip when he had the much more interesting and memorable Lotad and even May didn't get her Blaziken until just before the series ended. Still, it would have been a neat way to have all three starters' evolved forms on the main cast for once.

What are the non-Rock-types he caught doing at the Pewter Gym?

But he gave others, like Crobat, to his brother.

Yeah, sorry about that. I misread your question and thought you were talking about if he caught other Pokemon at the Pewter Gym for some reason. I edited my previous post, but like I said before, they're battling with his brother and his Marshtomp didn't evolve the last time we saw it. It wouldn't really do much even if it did evolve given that the cool factor of all three evolved starter Pokemon being on the main cast wouldn't really be there. At least when the writers finally evolved Cyndaquil, Ash was using his older Pokemon for the Sinnoh League. There wouldn't be much of a point to evolve it into a Swampert now.

Yeah, sorry about that. I misread your question and thought you were talking about if he caught other Pokemon at the Pewter Gym for some reason. I edited my previous post, but like I said before, they're battling with his brother and his Marshtomp didn't evolve the last time we saw it. It wouldn't really do much even if it did evolve given that the cool factor of all three evolved starter Pokemon being on the main cast wouldn't really be there. At least when the writers finally evolved Cyndaquil, Ash was using his older Pokemon for the Sinnoh League. There wouldn't be much of a point to evolve it into a Swampert now.

I think Crobat is the oddest, because imagine going to a Rock Gym and have the Leader pull out a Crobat. Ground and Steel are understandable, but Poison/Flying?

I also think BW should have been an AU. The reason is that the perma 5 were OOC.
Pikachu beats a Latios and loses to a level 5 Snivy?
Ash becoming an idiot and losing to a total idiot?
The TRio becoming serious and competent overnight?
What?

I also think BW should have been an AU. The reason is that the perma 5 were OOC.
Pikachu beats a Latios and loses to a level 5 Snivy?
Ash becoming an idiot and losing to a total idiot?
The TRio becoming serious and competent overnight?
What?

Levels don't exist in the show, at least not like they do in the games. It was still bad for Pikachu to lose to a newly received Snivy, especially when losing its Electric attacks shouldn't have made it seriously weaker than normal, but it wasn't a level five Snivy. That's an aspect of the games that wouldn't really translate well in the show when the Pokemon are treated more like living creatures. Ash regressing and then losing to someone even dumber than him was pretty bad though, although with Team Rocket being serious all of a sudden.

An alternate universe take on the series could have been interesting and allowed them a bit more freedom to do what they wanted, but I don't think it would have quite worked out. They didn't want to completely eliminate Ash's older Pokemon besides Pikachu or make it impossible for any older characters to return, which could have happened with an alternate universe take. Plus, it would have felt kind of random to suddenly do that for the fourth series when everything else had been set in the same universe before. Fans might have been a bit more forgiving of BW's flaws if it was set in a different universe, but that wouldn't have given it a free pass or made the problems any less noticeable.

Levels don't exist in the show, at least not like they do in the games. It was still bad for Pikachu to lose to a newly received Snivy, especially when losing its Electric attacks shouldn't have made it seriously weaker than normal, but it wasn't a level five Snivy. That's an aspect of the games that wouldn't really translate well in the show when the Pokemon are treated more like living creatures. Ash regressing and then losing to someone even dumber than him was pretty bad though, although with Team Rocket being serious all of a sudden.

An alternate universe take on the series could have been interesting and allowed them a bit more freedom to do what they wanted, but I don't think it would have quite worked out. They didn't want to completely eliminate Ash's older Pokemon besides Pikachu or make it impossible for any older characters to return, which could have happened with an alternate universe take. Plus, it would have felt kind of random to suddenly do that for the fourth series when everything else had been set in the same universe before. Fans might have been a bit more forgiving of BW's flaws if it was set in a different universe, but that wouldn't have given it a free pass or made the problems any less noticeable.

Well, starters start at a low level I presume. I think levels do exist (In the episode May the Real Professor Oak Please Stand Up, Oak and James (fake Oak) were asked which move Slowpoke learns at level 46, but they aren't referred as much as in the games.

As for an AU, don't they only care about the kids that started watching BW and not about those who started watching DP? If you started watching DP at 10, you were 14 when BW started and thus, you no longer matter. If they cared about those who watched DP, they wouldn't have turned Ash into an idiot.

Also, Best Wishes is one of the reasons why I don't have high expectations from the writers. Since the Pokémon anime will always have a lot of children viewers, they felt comfortable enough to give us this mess.

For all we know, Gen 8 could be another BW because those kids who watched BW will be older by Gen 8 and no longer matter.

But I know ranting about BW is off-topic. Still, it was very bad for their reputation.

If every series is meant to be more self-contained, then why did they just start doing that with Best Wishes? AG had plenty of callbacks to OS. Hell, there's a scene where Ash was about to send out Bayleef only to remember he left his old team behind. Not to mention how "Get The Show On The Road" picked up where the last episode of Master Quest left off with Pikachu suffering from electrical overcharging.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom