• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

Well, starters start at a low level I presume. I think levels do exist (In the episode May the Real Professor Oak Please Stand Up, Oak and James (fake Oak) were asked which move Slowpoke learns at level 46, but they aren't referred as much as in the games.

I know that the original series referred to levels a few times, including that one, but I wouldn't really take that as proof that levels exist in the anime. I don't think that they've referred to levels as actual numbers since the original series and it wouldn't really fit with how they've presented Pokemon. It's one of those video game elements that just doesn't translate well into an anime. Not to mention they've had Pokemon learn moves that they wouldn't know unless they were at a high level if they were going by video game logic there.

QueenEevee said:
As for an AU, don't they only care about the kids that started watching BW and not about those who started watching DP? If you started watching DP at 10, you were 14 when BW started and thus, you no longer matter. If they cared about those who watched DP, they wouldn't have turned Ash into an idiot.

Also, Best Wishes is one of the reasons why I don't have high expectations from the writers. Since the Pokémon anime will always have a lot of children viewers, they felt comfortable enough to give us this mess.

For all we know, Gen 8 could be another BW because those kids who watched BW will be older by Gen 8 and no longer matter.

But I know ranting about BW is off-topic. Still, it was very bad for their reputation.

I think that you're taking the whole the writers aren't interested in appealing to anyone outside of the target demographic way too personally by phrasing it like this. It's not like the writers suddenly thought of treating long time fans like dirt and actively decided to make the series bad. That just makes them sound like mustache twirling villains when they're just trying to do their jobs. There's also the issue of how they probably had to deal with higher ups telling them what to include, which could have included elements like Ash's regression and bringing back Charizard despite doing nothing. I do recall how they weren't allowed to include any older Pokemon besides Pikachu and Meowth at first, which kind of backfired on them when B2/W2 made a big deal about the return of older Pokemon within the main storyline.

Believe it or not, there were people who loved BW, so it's not like everyone agrees that it was a train wreck. Besides that, I'd say that the writing quality has improved at least a decent amount since BW, so holding that against the writers forever and assuming that they could do it again because older fans don't matter. The show has always been about appealing to kids. They might have thrown some bones for long time fans before, but the target audience has always been and always will be kids. BW didn't change that, so why bother getting so upset over how they appeal strictly to kids now?

I know that the original series referred to levels a few times, including that one, but I wouldn't really take that as proof that levels exist in the anime. I don't think that they've referred to levels as actual numbers since the original series and it wouldn't really fit with how they've presented Pokemon. It's one of those video game elements that just doesn't translate well into an anime. Not to mention they've had Pokemon learn moves that they wouldn't know unless they were at a high level if they were going by video game logic there.

I think that you're taking the whole the writers aren't interested in appealing to anyone outside of the target demographic way too personally by phrasing it like this. It's not like the writers suddenly thought of treating long time fans like dirt and actively decided to make the series bad. That just makes them sound like mustache twirling villains when they're just trying to do their jobs. There's also the issue of how they probably had to deal with higher ups telling them what to include, which could have included elements like Ash's regression and bringing back Charizard despite doing nothing. I do recall how they weren't allowed to include any older Pokemon besides Pikachu and Meowth at first, which kind of backfired on them when B2/W2 made a big deal about the return of older Pokemon within the main storyline.

Believe it or not, there were people who loved BW, so it's not like everyone agrees that it was a train wreck. Besides that, I'd say that the writing quality has improved at least a decent amount since BW, so holding that against the writers forever and assuming that they could do it again because older fans don't matter. The show has always been about appealing to kids. They might have thrown some bones for long time fans before, but the target audience has always been and always will be kids. BW didn't change that, so why bother getting so upset over how they appeal strictly to kids now?

But it can't be denied Snivy was a rookie, given Trip had just gotten it. Which is what makes people salty, given Pikachu already beat some Legendaries (Regice and Latios).

I also think removing old Pokémon from Be was a stupid decision by TPC.

TPC probably though a reboot would be more suitable for new young fans, but come on, removing the mascot? I wonder how kids saw BW.

I know I am off-topic, but I needed to rant about Gen 5. In part because I can't reconcile Best Wishes with the canon of the other series. And I think the writers and the higher-ups should have figured sooner that their formula isn't working, instead of making Ash lose to a total idiot and hope Charizard would make us forget about it.

I am not solely blaming the writers, it's was a franchise problem.

Also, here's another missed opportunity. Charizard was returned in the wrong series. He would have done more if he returned in Gen 6 where Mega Evolution started.

But it can't be denied Snivy was a rookie, given Trip had just gotten it. Which is what makes people salty, given Pikachu already beat some Legendaries (Regice and Latios).

It was a rookie Pokemon and it was still bad that Pikachu lost to it, even though Pikachu's defeat of Regice itself was also pretty bad. It just doesn't mean that it was a level five Snivy like people did and often still do bring up when discussing that part of BW.

QueenEevee said:
I also think removing old Pokémon from Be was a stupid decision by TPC.

TPC probably though a reboot would be more suitable for new young fans, but come on, removing the mascot? I wonder how kids saw BW.

I know I am off-topic, but I needed to rant about Gen 5. In part because I can't reconcile Best Wishes with the canon of the other series. And I think the writers and the higher-ups should have figured sooner that their formula isn't working, instead of making Ash lose to a total idiot and hope Charizard would make us forget about it.

I am not solely blaming the writers, it's was a franchise problem.

Again, the point of removing older Pokemon was to get people to be more excited about using new Pokemon and making the Unova region more distinct by removing popular Pokemon like Pikachu. This obviously didn't work out as well as they had hoped given that they've had to reassure fans that older Pokemon are indeed in the games afterwards, but the idea itself wasn't too bad in my opinion. Whether you can reconcile with it or not, BW is still canon and still in the same universe as the series that came before and after it. It may be jarring and strange, but it's the truth.

QueenEevee said:
Also, here's another missed opportunity. Charizard was returned in the wrong series. He would have done more if he returned in Gen 6 where Mega Evolution started.

A part of me would have preferred that over Ash getting Goodra back, especially when it did basically nothing but lose or tie for the Kalos League. Plus, Mega Charizard Y could have gotten some decent promotion instead of being crushed by the over glorified and over powered Mega Charizard X in five minutes. But at the same time, it would have been a bit much to give Ash a Mega Pokemon on top of Ash Greninja and I don't think I would have wanted to trade Ash Greninja for Mega Charizard Y either. While I remember fans being split on that part of the series during its run and it does have its problems, I thought it was one of the highlights of the series and gave Ash some surprisingly good character moments as a result.

The TRio gaining competence and earning the trust of Giovanni was never explained.

We know nothing about the former Trainer of Ash's Snivy. I guess she had one since a wild Snivy can't learn Attract.

The TRio gaining competence and earning the trust of Giovanni was never explained.
1. They defeated Team Galaxy.
2. They are not really competent, just soulless.
We know nothing about the former Trainer of Ash's Snivy. I guess she had one since a wild Snivy can't learn Attract.
They explicitly said that she abandoned her trainer.

Did they say why she abandoned her Trainer?
Screenshot_2017-03-02-20-30-34-1.png

Screenshot_2017-03-02-20-30-41-1.png

Screenshot_2017-03-02-20-30-50-1.png

Screenshot_2017-03-02-20-31-10-1.png

Screenshot_2017-03-02-20-31-23-1.png

Screenshot_2017-03-02-20-31-33-1.png
That's all.

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic.

The anime should have a special about Misty visiting the Togepi mirage to see her Togetic and finding out the it evolved into a Togekiss and some of the Togepi evolved as well.

The anime never showed a Togetic evolving into a Togekiss.

The anime never showed a Togetic evolving into a Togekiss.

It wasn't until the Sinnoh grand festival that they showed an Eevee evolving, and until early XY that they showed a Pikachu evolving, but I otherwise agree.

I remember I never lost the hope that Dawn's Togekiss would be related to Misty until the last second.

I do wonder why the Plasma Frigate and Kyurem weren't in Episode N considering they apparently had to adapt BW2 no matter what.

They should have had Domino instead of Matori. And Mondo instead of that ramen dude from that Rocket-centered DP episode.

Everything up to the end of DP had decent continuity and all, but Shudou's Rocket Gang members > those suspiciously similar substitutes, and it's a shame they didn't use them.

They should have had Domino instead of Matori. And Mondo instead of that ramen dude from that Rocket-centered DP episode.
Hey, yeah. Whatever happened to Mondo? He would've been a cool homage to those audio dramas.

Everything up to the end of DP had decent continuity and all, but Shudou's Rocket Gang members > those suspiciously similar substitutes, and it's a shame they didn't use them.
The Shudo Erasure has grown stronger by the generation...

Why do we always have such low expectations from the "writers"? I daresay they have their reasons for doing things the way they do, but not being able to keep track of the (not exactly complex) history of the anime is surely not one of them. If we, limited organisms as we are, can... why would those who are deemed capable enough to be paid to run the series not be able to?!

Why do we always have such low expectations from the "writers"? I daresay they have their reasons for doing things the way they do, but not being able to keep track of the (not exactly complex) history of the anime is surely not one of them. If we, limited organisms as we are, can... why would those who are deemed capable enough to be paid to run the series not be able to?!

Maybe because most of today's children have never watched the first series.

Depends on what you count as "Shudou's Rocket Gang". Musashi from the first episode is a very different character compared to Musashi from Johto, who is much more in common with Kasumi. I always wondered: When and why did TR turned into Time Bokan villains? It wasn't the case in Kanto and Oranges, I think? Then suddenly Kojiro and Nyasu turned into Musashi's underlings and they began to depend on Mechas instead of their pokemon.

I don't see where anyone gets the "Matori is like Domino" thing outside of similar rank.

Even then Domino is a field agent who was Giovanni top underling at the location after abandoning her cover while Matori's job is entirely clerical.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom