• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

Honestly, I don't think that Team Flare in XY suffered by not having the Ultimate Weapon. It was used for their goal and it was part of AZ's backstory, but despite that, AZ felt super tacked into the storyline.

I think the Anime should've adapted AZ and made him more necessary. Maybe have him as a companion of Ash's. He'd get along well with a fellow immortal. XD

It might've been lackluster in the games that's all the more reason for adaptations to use them and fill in the blanks. Explore the lore of Kalos and its immortal king. Make the Ultimate Weapon into a real intimidating threat by almost going off.

Look no further than Pokemon Special as an example for making a pretty darn complex plotline out of XY with Vaniville Town destroyed by Xerxeas and Yveltal, our heroes on the run with Team Flare targeting them and Diantha actually doing her duty as Champion. The Ultimate Weapon is actually used first half way through the arc with the Gym Leaders actually trying to close it.

I agree that it would have been better than just making them a generic evil team and they really should used more episodes for Episode N instead of devoting the last chuck of the series to the Decolore Islands arc, but they only had eleven episodes I think.

With the episode slots from Episode N and Decalore, they could've easily made it work with decent pacing and dedication to what matters in the storyline. Again, they could have the Neo Plasma group keep their Pokemon Liberation facade and combine old elements with the new. No need for one or the other.

The lack of imagination can certainly be a problem, but I wouldn't say it's the only hindrance. If they're told that they have to promote B2/W2 in a small amount of episodes, then they have to work with it. The final product that is Episode N still could have been better, but lack of imagination was not the only reason behind its flaws.

They had to start promoting BW2 as early as the PokeStar Studio episode. Honestly, I'd say they had plenty of time to choose what to promote and how. They could've had Team Plasma show up at times and build up to Episode N where the black suits are introduced.

Last edited:
I think the Anime should've adapted AZ and made him more necessary. Maybe have him as a companion of Ash's. He'd get along well with a fellow immortal. XD

It might've been lackluster in the games that's all the more reason for adaptations to use them and fill in the blanks. Explore the lore of Kalos and its immortal king. Make the Ultimate Weapon into a real intimidating threat by almost going off.

Look no further than Pokemon Special as an example for making a pretty darn complex plotline out of XY with Vaniville Town destroyed by Xerxeas and Yveltal, our heroes on the run with Team Flare targeting them and Diantha actually doing her duty as Champion. The Ultimate Weapon is actually used first half way through the arc with the Gym Leaders actually trying to close it.

I haven't read any of the X/Y arc of Adventures yet. I'm still waiting for the full volumes to come out, even though that is taking a long time to happen, so I wouldn't know much about that part of the series yet. AZ being included as a companion or reappearing character would have been interesting and that could have given him some much needed depth, but I don't think that the show really lost anything major by not including him. Sure, it could have improved on elements from the games and I wouldn't have been against that, but if we got the same basic goal from Team Flare and actually saw the kind of destruction that Lysandre wanted by using Zygarde, I don't think it was a problem to not include AZ and the Ultimate Weapon in XY.

matt0044 said:
With the episode slots from Episode N and Decalore, they could've easily made it work with decent pacing and dedication to what matters in the storyline. Again, they could have the Neo Plasma group keep their Pokemon Liberation facade and combine old elements with the new. No need for one or the other.

They had to start promoting BW2 as early as the PokeStar Studio episode. Honestly, I'd say they had plenty of time to choose what to promote and how. They could've had Team Plasma show up at times and build up to Episode N where the black suits are introduced.

There was a need for one or the other though. B2/W2 were more recent and they needed to promote more of its features/elements before it became outdated with the then new generation. Marketing is always the main priority for Pokemon, as well as other toyetic series. Being marketing irrelevant has always been an issue for them with few exceptions. It's one reason why most of the main cast is replaced with every series. They aren't relevant to the new games and need to be replaced for new characters that actually do tie into the newest games. The same applies for B2/W2 in this case. They still could have done a much better job, but I wouldn't be surprised if their hands were tied in regards to how Team Plasma were eventually reintroduced into the anime.

I wouldn't have had a problem if they did combine the two games. I still agree that would have been a better choice than making them generically evil with a focus on brainwashing Pokemon, but they might not have had a choice in the matter. If the higher ups want them to promote specific parts of a game, then they have to work with that instead of trying to work around it. Even if they had more time by taking up episodes used for the Decolore Islands arc, I'm not sure if they'd have enough time to really do the whole Pokemon Liberation facade justice. It might have been rushed and/or poorly executed even with more time. Although, the idea of having Team Plasma showing up earlier to build up to Episode N would have been nice. Just having any buildup to the Episode N arc would have been nice considering that fans were so sure that Team Plasma wouldn't be used again and that could have relieved some tension prior to Episode N.

It seems the anime won't have Nebby.
Right now it's too early to call Nebby not appearing a missed opportunity since we're only 18 episodes into Sun and Moon. Zygarde didn't make it's first appearance until 94 episodes into X and Y along with the forth Mega Evolution special. The only seventh generation legendary Pokemon to appear in the anime is Tapu Koko and most legendaries don't appear as early as the first episode of the series and the only other legendary Pokemon that did this is Ho-Oh and Mesprit. Tapu Koko is the only legendary Pokemon who is appearing in 5 episodes out of the first 19 episodes and counting (not counting Solgaleo and Lunala since they only appeared in the opening). We haven't seen the other Tapu Pokemon yet as of the writing of this post. For all we know, Nebby could appear just before or just after Ash and his friends go to the second island and that could be sometime around episode 25+, but then again I'm just speculating. Nebby will appear eventually, we just have to wait.

I haven't read any of the X/Y arc of Adventures yet. I'm still waiting for the full volumes to come out, even though that is taking a long time to happen, so I wouldn't know much about that part of the series yet.

Don't worry, bud. I refrained from spoilers past chapters one and two.

There was a need for one or the other though. B2/W2 were more recent and they needed to promote more of its features/elements before it became outdated with the then new generation.

So where was Kyurem in Episode N? If they were to promote BW2, wouldn't they have to adapt Kyurem's new forms? And the Plasma Frigate would've been a killer secret headquarters.

If the higher ups want them to promote specific parts of a game, then they have to work with that instead of trying to work around it. Even if they had more time by taking up episodes used for the Decolore Islands arc, I'm not sure if they'd have enough time to really do the whole Pokemon Liberation facade justice. It might have been rushed and/or poorly executed even with more time.

If they put their heart into and were able to bounce ideas around on how to pull it off, I'd say they could've done the Pokemon Liberation thing justice in Episode N's runtime alone if fillers like the neurotic new Trainer or Cheren's only appearance ever were utilized more for the overall storyline. Make every episode count for something.

Porygon family finally making an appearance after almost 20 years
Seconded. I honestly spend several months checking every new anime episode on Bulbapedia during the early days of XY, just to see if Porygon was in them, but alas, to no avail. Heck, Generations would've been perfect to finally give Porygon's evolutions a proper appearance, seeing as it's supposed to be closer to the games, and older ones at that.

Whatever happened to Mt. Pyre? It almost seems like it was a script episode that never made it to animation.

Not using victory road. Outside of Johto it isn't explained how each league just happens to have a proper number of trainers for a single elimination tournament. One could assume it's first come first serve but Ash and crew never seem to be concerned with that.

Now imagine if they used victory road to settle it. Like a race through victory road, a Pokemon catching contest or an elimination game where trainers have to stop their party from being defeated by wild Pokemon or other trainer until they have an exponent of 2.

Not using victory road. Outside of Johto it isn't explained how each league just happens to have a proper number of trainers for a single elimination tournament. One could assume it's first come first serve but Ash and crew never seem to be concerned with that.

Now imagine if they used victory road to settle it. Like a race through victory road, a Pokemon catching contest or an elimination game where trainers have to stop their party from being defeated by wild Pokemon or other trainer until they have an exponent of 2.
What's really odd is that one of the Japanese ending themes, Dotchi ~ Nyo?, has a random, out-of-place mention of Victory Road.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think any graveyard-type places have been in the main anime.
They don't have to make it a graveyard so much as a mystical location where the orbs have been guarded. As far as we know, Maxie and Archie pulled them out of their asses. Like the writers did.

Like Hunter X Hunter where the Hunter Exam weeds out the competitors before a real tourney. Like Ash has to navigate through Victory Road and make it into the top eight that will compete in the arena.

Last edited:
Certain Pokemon Movies feel too... incidental in how Ash and his companions enter the main plot line if you get my drift. This is why I'm looking forward to the retelling of "Pokemon, I Choose You" where Ash is actually involved in the story.

Anything Ritchie. I know he's not the most popular character but seriously there is so much they could have done with him. He is the first person to eliminate Ash and the only league introduced rival to be seen outside the region he was introduced in. Like he and Ash are were so torn up about the Lugia promise (the actual promise not just the capture of Silver) but Ash doesn't feel any remorse over "the best battle ever" promise. Ritchie's absence from the Johto league is never explained nor is how he got Rose nor is why he was in Kanto while Ash was in Hoenn. Granted this isn't Gary who was an egomaniac with a family profession to explain his absence this is Ritchie. He talked with Ash about how much they both desired to be Pokemon masters.

Last edited:
Korrina's arc in XY is often talked about in regards to how Ash and co. feel a tad superfluous during the whole thing. This got me to thinking... what if Korrina meant to originally be Ash's female companion instead of Serena?

Honestly, if they weren't going give Ash any Mega Evolutions, then having a companion who's goal is to master Mega Evolution and succeed her grandpappy would've allowed the writers to have a character to regularly showcase this new feature in addition to stable storyline with plenty of ideas to execute in the overall story.

Serena could be Ash's main rival like in the XY games if they absolutely had to adapt the female PC in this generation.

Anything Ritchie. I know he's not the most popular character but seriously there is so much they could have done with him. He is the first person to eliminate Ash and the only league introduced rival to be seen outside the region the region he was introduced in. Like he and Ash are were so torn up about the Lugia promise (the actual promise not just the capture of Silver) but Ash doesn't feel any remorse over "the best battle ever" promise. Ritchie's absence from the Johto league is never explain nor is how he got Rose nor is why he was in Kanto while Ash was in Hoenn. Granted this isn't Gary who was an egomaniac with a family profession to explain his abscene this is Ritchie. He talked with Ash about how much they both desired to be Pokemon masters.

I always assumed that Richie was just traveling around with no interest in entering another League. He didn't mention anything about the Johto League when he showed up in the Whirl Islands. It would have been kind of neat if he did show up there and Ash was able to beat him though.

Korrina's arc in XY is often talked about in regards to how Ash and co. feel a tad superfluous during the whole thing. This got me to thinking... what if Korrina meant to originally be Ash's female companion instead of Serena?

Honestly, if they weren't going give Ash any Mega Evolutions, then having a companion who's goal is to master Mega Evolution and succeed her grandpappy would've allowed the writers to have a character to regularly showcase this new feature in addition to stable storyline with plenty of ideas to execute in the overall story.

Serena could be Ash's main rival like in the XY games if they absolutely had to adapt the female PC in this generation.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well it would have worked out. I think that a character in the main cast with a Mega Pokemon would have been too overpowered. Sure, Korrina would have to work towards getting Mega Lucario and she did have to do so in that arc, but it wouldn't be something that they could delay until near the end of the series. She would most likely have to have access to Mega Lucario by the time Ash reached her Gym. Mega Pokemon aren't unbeatable obviously, but I think it would run the risk of eliminating or reducing the tension knowing that they had a Mega Pokemon on their side for every fight. At least when they created Ash Greninja, it was near the end of the series, so he couldn't just use it for any fight.

As for Serena being the main rival, I like the idea of Ash having a non-comic relief female rival, but I don't know if I could have seen them go in that direction either. I'm not sure if they'd want to present one of the playable characters in a potentially antagonistic role against Ash. Plus, they sadly haven't been too interested in giving Ash female rivals and I don't think that they would have been interested in starting to do so with Serena.

@Hidden Mew But "why didn't he have interest?" is a pretty big unanswered question. We may not know what Pokemon master means but it's certainly not aimless tourist and he at least in the dub specifically mentioned wanting to do better next time after losing in the top 8. Why take such a laissez faire attitude with something so important to him?

@Hidden Mew But "why didn't he have interest?" is a pretty big unanswered question. We may not know what Pokemon master means but it's certainly not aimless tourist and he at least in the dub specifically mentioned wanting to do better next time after losing in the top 8. Why take such a laissez faire attitude with something so important to him?

That's true. He seemed content with just traveling around without going for a League. I don't think that ever bothered me too much, especially when I was surprised he got so much attention for a League rival, but exploring that some more would have been potentially interesting at least.

I think that a character in the main cast with a Mega Pokemon would have been too overpowered. Sure, Korrina would have to work towards getting Mega Lucario and she did have to do so in that arc, but it wouldn't be something that they could delay until near the end of the series. She would most likely have to have access to Mega Lucario by the time Ash reached her Gym. Mega Pokemon aren't unbeatable obviously, but I think it would run the risk of eliminating or reducing the tension knowing that they had a Mega Pokemon on their side for every fight. At least when they created Ash Greninja, it was near the end of the series, so he couldn't just use it for any fight.

As for Serena being the main rival, I like the idea of Ash having a non-comic relief female rival, but I don't know if I could have seen them go in that direction either. I'm not sure if they'd want to present one of the playable characters in a potentially antagonistic role against Ash. Plus, they sadly haven't been too interested in giving Ash female rivals and I don't think that they would have been interested in starting to do so with Serena.
Well, in the games, Mega Evolution is limited in battles so the Anime staff could embellish on said limitations like with how long they tend to last in battle or how the power up doesn't make you invincible like a sort of arc where Korrina gets too cocky. Like even the writers would be smart enough to not let the twerps get by so easily.

Korrina could start out with Riolu in establishing the bond they share up front and upon evolving, she and Lucario prove they are ready to at least attempt Mega Evolution upon reaching Shalour City. Like she doesn't even have a Key Stone on meeting Ash and has to work to even get it. Her final test would be Ash battling her as the Shalour City Gym Leader.

Why wouldn't they give a PC an antagonistic role when the games do just that? Plus, if May and Dawn could have rivals of the opposite gender like Harley and Kenny, why does Ash have to miss out on all the fun?

Well, in the games, Mega Evolution is limited in battles so the Anime staff could embellish on said limitations like with how long they tend to last in battle or how the power up doesn't make you invincible like a sort of arc where Korrina gets too cocky. Like even the writers would be smart enough to not let the twerps get by so easily.

Korrina could start out with Riolu in establishing the bond they share up front and upon evolving, she and Lucario prove they are ready to at least attempt Mega Evolution upon reaching Shalour City. Like she doesn't even have a Key Stone on meeting Ash and has to work to even get it. Her final test would be Ash battling her as the Shalour City Gym Leader.

Why wouldn't they give a PC an antagonistic role when the games do just that? Plus, if May and Dawn could have rivals of the opposite gender like Harley and Kenny, why does Ash have to miss out on all the fun?

Player Characters are avatars of the game. Don't want to make one the bad guy. As for Ash, he has a rival named Bianca. It's just all the serious, no-nonsense rivals just happen to be male.

Well a time limit could be a possible way to make Mega Evolution less invincible, although I'm not sure if they'd want to do that either given that it wouldn't be an accurate way of showing how Mega Pokemon work in battle. I like the idea of Korrina starting out with Riolu and building up to Mega Evolution once they get to Shalour City. I think that would work better if Shalour Gym was much later on in the Kalos journey. She have to have Mega Evolution working at least well enough for her by the third Gym. They could still cover the storyline fairly well within that time, but I think it would easily run the risk of being too rushed and/or Korrina not having much to do afterwards much like what happened to Clemont after his battle with Ash. If her Gym was at least the fifth or sixth one instead of the third one, I think that the idea would have a better chance of working out.

matt0044 said:

Except I don't think that the player character has had an antagonistic role in the games. Sure, they've been used as rivals before, but I wouldn't say that they're antagonistic. May/Brendan and Serena/Calem were generally friendly in the games. The worst thing I think any of them did was Brendan being disappointed that the new neighbor's kid wasn't another boy, but he becomes your friend over time too. Since you do play as either the male or female playable trainer, I don't think that they'd want to paint of them as an antagonist in the show. I'm not saying that Ash shouldn't get an antagonistic female rival. That would potentially be pretty awesome, but Harley and Kenny weren't playable characters from a new game, so they could make them more antagonistic, especially Harley. It just wouldn't be the best idea to turn one of the characters kids can play as into a villain or an antagonist.

Well a time limit could be a possible way to make Mega Evolution less invincible, although I'm not sure if they'd want to do that either given that it wouldn't be an accurate way of showing how Mega Pokemon work in battle.

They hardly gave a toss about the game mechanics. Why start then?

I like the idea of Korrina starting out with Riolu and building up to Mega Evolution once they get to Shalour City. I think that would work better if Shalour Gym was much later on in the Kalos journey. She have to have Mega Evolution working at least well enough for her by the third Gym. They could still cover the storyline fairly well within that time, but I think it would easily run the risk of being too rushed and/or Korrina not having much to do afterwards much like what happened to Clemont after his battle with Ash. If her Gym was at least the fifth or sixth one instead of the third one, I think that the idea would have a better chance of working out.

Well, the key would be not letting her arc pique so soon. Make the Shalour City storyline be the new beginning in Korrina's character development and certainly not the last. There, it could be when she gets the Key Stone and attempts Mega Evolution.

Of course, who says that the Gyms have to be followed in order? She could saved for a rematch after seven badges like her Gym battle with Ash goes haywire with Lucario going berserk.

Except I don't think that the player character has had an antagonistic role in the games.
Who said anything about Serena being antagonistic? Maybe a character like Sawyer. They don't always need to be like Paul, cool as he was.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom