• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Anime Continuity Discussion Thread

Not only does he mention Tauros but (someone has probably pointed this out already but I haven't read the last thread) but also in SM001 in the Lottery Flashback scene we see Ash give 5 pokeballs to Professor Oak. This includes Greninja's and Goodra's empty pokeballs, as well as Talonflame, Noivern, and Hawlucha.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. That's even more reason fro me to still have my doubts. Thanks for the reminder.

A quote I got in the other thread made me think that maybe they aren't just throwing out 20 years of Anime out the window. Maybe the whole point of this "new Ash" is to tie in with the SuMo story and the alternate universes you visit by going through the Altars of Sunne and Moone. New Ash is on one side, and Our Ash is on the other. So we could still see him again if there are really separate continuities because I couldn't imagine TPC not having them meet~

Many of the stuff people though we're unlikely to happen happened.

Plus, having the original Ash again would make SM a waste.

You do realize that absolutely nothing of note happens with those altars in the games, right? There is no reason for the anime to go out of its way to showcase those fairly meaningless locations. The differences between Sun and Moon are minor.

Nothing is certain but I think the evidence points to this being a new Ash and them trying to cover it up with things like the pokeball flashback.
This show is great at surprising me. Almost never in good ways, mind you, but still. My worst case scenario for how Ash's story would end turned out to be too optimistic!
That's incredible.

Frankly I find this rather unkind to the fans.

People can complain on the Internet as much as they want, but that won't change anything, because most people on the Internet are outside the target audience.

Also, Pokémon Go showed that as long as you have "Pokémon" in your name, you will still sell enough to make a lot of money. So TPC aren't going to change their mind. They will double down and continue doing it.

You do realize that absolutely nothing of note happens with those altars in the games, right? There is no reason for the anime to go out of its way to showcase those fairly meaningless locations. The differences between Sun and Moon are minor.

It's not about the differences, it's about the alternate universes. It wouldn't be the first time something has had no real importance in the games and the Anime expanded upon it~

Because it shows that there was a planned continuity

First and foremost, the anime is a big promotion of the games, so the souvenir thing could be just a nod toward the Sun and Moon games.

If there was some inkling of continuity in SM, they would have given us some clearer proof, like showcasing a flashback of the Kalos Pokémon being left behind or something like this.

A random Tauros reference and five random Pokéballs are still too little to be considered tangible proofs, and so far people are assuming that SM is a sequel of XY only because the former comes right after the latter. We don't know yet if the anime staff has decided to cut the continuity with SM, but the recent news seem to point in that direction.

It's not about the differences, it's about the alternate universes. It wouldn't be the first time something has had no real importance in the games and the Anime expanded upon it~
Sure, dedicating an episode to a minor concept from the games might make sense. Rebooting Ash for a whole series and at least one movie? That doesn't make sense unless the change is permanent.

If they decided that the 20th anniversary of all times was ideal for a reboot, I don't know what will ever make them revert to the old timeline. I'd sooner expect yet another reboot.

Last edited:
Sure, dedicating an episode to a minor concept from the games might make sense. Rebooting Ash for a whole series and at least one movie? That doesn't make sense unless the change is permanent.

If they decided that the 20th anniversary of all times was ideal for a reboot, I don't know what will ever make them revert to the old timeline. I'd sooner expect yet another reboot.

But why wouldn't it make sense if it was (hypothetically) literally for the purpose of expanding upon alternate universes? It wouldn't have to be permanent because that would be the whole point of it in the first place; to show that there exist two Ashs in the Pokemon Universe~ It would have to be for the whole series because this is the region in which this element was introduced to us~

But why wouldn't it make sense if it was (hypothetically) literally for the purpose of expanding upon alternate universes?
Do you really believe this? Why wouldn't they admit to putting the original Ash's story on hold? Why make us think that it doesn't even matter he's gone?

It would have to be for the whole series because this is the region in which this element was introduced to us~
Eh. It really started with Unova, which had more serious version differences than Alola does.

That could have easily been his Kantou team or any other team.
True. Why did people even think that he's carrying two empty balls with him? Whether it's a reboot or not, we have no idea which pokemon he was carrying at time.
Maybe they weren't satisfied with the direction of the anime and left? Or the anime cast maybe wanted new blood in the form of new writers? Or the anime just got a budget cut.
Continuity in this show is always depends on the writers. Without them, there is no continuity. It doesn't matter why and how they're replaced, their missing from the show is what makes it big.
Ash's change from DP to BW was jarring.
Well, I always thought that BW was supposed to be a low key reboot at the beginning, but they're backtracked after some kind of disappoint. Which explain sudden fanservice boom in "BW Season 2".

Last edited:
True. Why did people even think that he's carrying two empty balls with him? Whether it's a reboot or not, we have no idea which pokemon he was carrying at time.

Continuity in this show is always depends on the writers. Without them, there is no continuity. It doesn't matter why and how they're replaced, their missing from the show is what makes it big.

It's TPC who decides if there's continuity or not.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom