1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Anime Continuity Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by CrystaI, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Johtohfiller

Johtohfiller Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    If there are at least 2 different timelines with Ash then are both Victini movies canon?

2. Kirby4ever

Kirby4ever Likes cute Pokemon

Blog Posts:
    The Victini movies are hard to make cannon, you can make those two cannon then you can since no one's stopping you since it's your head cannon that you're controlling. The upcoming movie to me is an alternate timeline of Ash, the time where he doesn't meet Misty and Brock the way he did in the main anime.

3. CrystaI

CrystaI The Pokemon Observer

Blog Posts:
    What I can say when I'm not the mod hence whatever I say is not authoritative enough for someone to accept, despite I'm 10000% sure I didn't mistranslated anything? Someone will trust the mod rather despite the mod doesn't know Japanese at all, just because he/she is the mod.

But, whatever. When Mima Masafumi's word where he is the Sound Director of Pokemon Anime hence authoritative enough in most of the things he announced, is still denied by most of the fandom, I can see most of the fans are really "loving" Ash Ketchum so much to the point of blindly denying whatever harsh words findable on internet, including the pessimistic possibility of we won't see the old "original Ash" anymore in the future.

4. Silktree

Silktree Foresight

Blog Posts:
    That was Dephender from SPPf.

There is no evidence of this.

A "what if" scenario that is being treated as Ash's origin story as far as SM is concerned.

QueenEevee likes this.
  5. Jez

Jez Registered User

Blog Posts:
    In November I asked my Japanese friend to ask Masafumi Mima about his tweet. Here is what my friend told me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#85 Jez, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. ii kanji

ii kanji ❤ Best Worst Feeling ❤

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Jez.

I'm now more confused than ever.

7. CrystaI

Blog Posts:
    If it is within Twitter, may I ask for the original link? I want to see the conversation in original Japanese text.

QueenEevee likes this.
  8. Jez

Jez Registered User

Blog Posts:
    It was a private conversation but you can ask Fifi to send you the conversation she had with Masafumi Mima. (I contact you in PM right now)

9. CrystaI

Blog Posts:
    She is your friend, not mine. So it might be better for you to ask her instead of me. You can just simply copy-paste the original Japanese text and post it in this thread.

10. Jez

Jez Registered User

Blog Posts:
    I'll see what I can do...

11. Cresselia92

Cresselia92 Dream Guardian

Blog Posts:
    "This is not the continuing episode from XY&Z. It's Satoshi's parallel story departed from the past, for more beginning."

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that M20 Ash and SM Ash are the same character. I mean, a parallel story which originated from a "more" beginning? Seems to fit M20 to a T.

That user also said that the TRio in the series is the same TRio… quite weird, but it is still feasible. After all, in the Mirror World episode, the "true" TRio were the villains of the episode, rather than Mirror TRio. So, having them around isn't all that Farfetch'd.

After all, what is one of the main themes of SM? Ultra Wormholes. And we know that Anabel is a character coming from a destroyed timeline through one of those holes. Destroyed timeline… doesn't that sound eerily familiar?

Long story short, if what that user has said is true, then that could mean that the TRio present in SM may be a group of Fallers, and the souvenirs could gain a new meaning and mean that the original TRio would have appeared in SM.

A quite fascinating theory, which would be really cool if it became plot relevant. Not only that, but it would also give an indirect bit of continuity in a sense, which people seem to be craving so badly.

#91 Cresselia92, Apr 18, 2017
    Kallyle likes this.
  12. Silktree

Silktree Foresight

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't seem that Mima specifically singled out Team Rocket as having the same personalities. He was referring to all the familiar characters (Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket) acting similar to their OS selves.

With Team Rocket, the distinction between the different series is rather moot with the exception of BW, so the reset is hardly noticeable. In contrast, I would argue that Ash and Pikachu lack their characteristic spunk/chutzpah from the original series, and I don't recall Pikachu acting so happy-go-lucky. It would look down on Ash at times.

@Cresselia92 No offense, but any theory about destroyed timelines and Fallers is rather contrived for the anime. This is a show for kids.

#92 Silktree, Apr 18, 2017
  13. ii kanji

ii kanji ❤ Best Worst Feeling ❤

Blog Posts:
    Parallel stories, same characters but from the past makes it sound like the origin story at least would be the same... But at this point God only knows what is intended.

14. Silktree

Silktree Foresight

Blog Posts:
    Parallel stories suggests that even the origin story is different.

The anime staff having us discuss the implications for continuity is rather hilarious when you think about it. What I'd like to know is what the Japanese fans have to say about this, because as far as I can see BMGf is the only English forum that is analyzing this topic...

15. Cresselia92

Cresselia92 Dream Guardian

Blog Posts:
    I'm not saying that they would mention the timeline being destroyed or whatnot. I just found amusing how the SM games say that the original timeline is gone and that there are some implications that the original timeline of the anime is gone as well.

I don't expect them to go in deep detail about this, mind you. I just found these similarities fascinating.

16. Silktree

Silktree Foresight

Blog Posts:
    The SM games don't say that any timeline is gone. All we know is that Anabel lost her memories and ended up in another universe.

If Team Rocket mentioned anything nearly that mysterious, then that would be a different story. But they're as laid back as they can get.

#96 Silktree, Apr 18, 2017
  17. PkmnTrainerV

PkmnTrainerV Flame Trainer

Blog Posts:
    Don't fallers lose their memories? But the TRio seem to remember chasing Pikachu.

18. CrystaI

Blog Posts:
    BMGf is so open to controversial topics. In other forums, the mod shot this topic down immediately just because it is controversial, hence uncivil flaming will very likely occurs. I really appreciate this is a civil forum.

It was not like this continuity issue doesn't bother the Japanese fandom. Unfortunately it is just because in Japan there lacks forums for open in-depth discussion, hence the doubts and concern are not voiced out loudly and no one will answer it. Though there are a whole bunch of 2chan style message boards for quick anonymous response, but because most are just Twitter-like chat exchanging and redirecting, the responses within a thread are mostly just "I like it" "I hate it" kind of simple messages without any much follow-up by the same user. In-depth discussion are a rarity, unless you go to personal blogs where then the blogger him/herself will post some more in-depth personal opinion about an issue, but yet, there are very few response because, well, it is blog aka personal diary.

BTW, that is not only limited to Pokemon topics. Anything including academic issues or philosophy or daily-life doesn't have a specialty forum for local Japanese people to gather together and discussion whatever things related. I also have to wonder why the Japanese seems like unfond of long discussions and debating.

#98 CrystaI, Apr 18, 2017
  19. QueenEevee

QueenEevee Member

Blog Posts:
    I see many indications for a reboot. Some may be stretched though.

1. The tweet from the sound director.
    2. Ash is going to school and his goal is to graduate. Why would a League finalist do that?
    3. SM020 didn't mention the past eventhough it was called an anniversary episode.
    4. The movie is saying it's about Ash's beginnings.
    5. Ash isn't interested much in Trials. Also, how much effort does he put in training his Pokémon?
    6. Ash isn't going in adventures.
    7. Ash can never win. TPC will stand firm in their decision and no one can do anything about it. A reboot makes it easier to justify him not winning.
    8. After Ash beat 2 Legendaries in Sinnoh. TPC gave us Best Wishes where Pikachu lost to a beginner Snivy and where Ash lost to a total idiot who only brought 5 Pokémon to a full battle.

20. VTP-Dawkins93

VTP-Dawkins93 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    It's a cool topic to discuss and think about. Parallel worlds/timelines open up so many possibilities. However, right now it's sounding like a convenient excuse for Pokemon's mangled and neglected continuity; a happy accident to explain away some of the more not-very-well thought out decisions.

If Pokemon anime acknowledged this as a thing, though, I'd be interested.

ii kanji likes this.