• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Anime Continuity Discussion Thread

And come on folks, there is no reason they'd bother to show a minor Pokemon like Tauros, whose major role pre-orange League was stampeding the lab.
There is a time limit, you know, so they'd better give a decent pacing to Charmander's evolutions (he's seen capturing a Charmander, and later, a Charizard is there), so that it dosen't look like some in-game grinding.
So by your logic, it doesn't matter whether or not they show it, because we can just assume they didn't have enough time.

Thanks.

Well, what can I say? I'm even more confused now than how I was before.

Though, it seems that there is a different interpretation of SM from the various members of the anime cast. Basically, Mima says that this series feels like a "restart", while Rica says that this Ash has "travelled in many towns". However, this doesn't necessarily make the two sentences mutually exclusive.

I mean, M20 Ash seems to be traveling to many towns in the movie, so those could be the towns mentioned by Rica. And Ash being the same in spirit doesn't necessarily make him the "original" Ash. He could just be someone who looks like Ash, has the name Ash, explores the world with a Pikachu just like Ash… but isn't the "real" Ash. Same origins, different individuals.

Also, it could be pretty counterproductive if they explicitly said if this is a new continuity. Perhaps there are some things that they think should be kept under wraps, or they want to avoid some important spoilers.

Whatever is the case, the riddle becomes even more intriguing. Perhaps, if another member of the staff said something about this topic, it could help break the stalemate.

It's obvious that Rica was just referring to Kanto towns. Otherwise, there would be nothing special about her remark, and Mima wouldn't object to it... Also note that Jez's friend referred to Rica interpreting Ash as a completely new character.

Mima is living in this bubble world where something can "feel" like a restart without actually being one.

Just wanted to confirm again, who was the series director of SM saga?

Just wanted to confirm again, who was the series director of SM saga?

This should be the current anime staff.

The official TV Toukyou website revealed the main staff for Pocket Monster: Sun & Moon. There's some big changes in store.

CuvCwXwWEAk3J_v.jpg:orig

Tomiyasu Daiki (storyboard artist for several XY episodes and The Origin Episode #4) will take over as series director, but Yuyama Kunihiko remains as the chief director. Hiro'oka Toshihito passes the role of character designer to Nakano Satoshi and Yasuda Shuuhei. Nakano was the action animation supervisor for The Origin Episode #4. Tomioka Atsuhiro passes the role of series composition (basically, the head writer role) over to Matsui Aya. Matsui Aya held the same role for Dragon Ball GT and wrote many early episodes of Pokemon. It's so sad to see Tomioka leave. When he took over the role beginning with Diamond & Pearl Episode #1 he really helped turn the franchise around. It makes sense that XY & Z was going to be his big finale. He's written a lot of episodes for it has been busy writing for Dragon Ball Super, One Piece and Gyakuten Saiban this year, too. It's such a shame.

Can we able to get hold of any interview, announcement, tweets, or any kind of messages from anyone of the above listed staff regarding on their view on SM saga?

Mima is living in this bubble world where something can "feel" like a restart without actually being one.
Just want to point out that not long ago you were preaching that Mima's word was holy...

Just want to point out that not long ago you were preaching that Mima's word was holy...
I said no such thing. You called him a maverick and I was confused as to why.

Now we've seen that he phrases his sentences awkwardly and he takes issue with a simpler statement made by a lead voice actress who should know about as much as he does.

Also how about Barri-chan/Mimey? Didn't Hanako catch it during OS?

I had been reticent about posting my feelings about this somewhat controversial topic, and I did wish to await for a translation of the discussion before biting the bullet and posting my personal feelings on the matter.

Firstly, I will say this to avoid any confusion or misinterpretation - I definitely am not dismissing the plausibility of the theory. The Pokemon anime seems to be determined to show us all that anything is possible, and with M20, it already has dipped its toes into the idea of alternative timelines as well as multiple universes. While I think it's plausible, I don't think it has actually happened.

However, I do think it's very quick for people to be claiming others have been in denial when the points of evidence are tenuous at best, and in some cases, down to individual interpretation behind the meaning of some statements. I also feel that saying "the movie will cover that" in relation to any holes poked into this theory is mere hand-waving and not a sound argument, when none of the promotional videos have provided a basis for Ash catching a Tauros, and neither have they given any indication as to how many Pokemon he will catch throughout the course of the film. This is not to suggest that SM's continuity is perfectly solid - the mystery of the five pokeballs remains a problem - though, Ash might have rotated Pokemon while at home in between the events of XY and SM, but that's mere speculation with absolutely no proof. However, as others have mentioned, SM does seem to reference events that have at least occurred in the anime's timeline for definite - so it is reasonable in my view to still believe that this is still in the anime's timeline.

I wanted to face my feelings in the circumstance of if this has happened - if this theory is correct, that M20 Ash and SM Ash are one and the same. It would not provoke me to discontinue with the anime, for starters. While it's pleasant to see continuity and past references, it is not the primary reason I watch the anime, neither the secondary nor tertiary. The anime's formulaic style disposes of the sense of a progressing storyline where if you didn't watch OS, AG wouldn't make any sense and so on, so forth - so continuity isn't its predominant selling point in terms of the storyline anyways. It's easy to fall into line with the anime due to this style - really, you can begin at any season and this makes for great casual viewing. If it is really a different timeline, then I can breathe easy, as I no longer have to expect these references - the lack of continuity only bothers me when I am led to believe that there will be references, such as in SM020.

Ash's character in itself is something I personally believe differs from season to season, from OS to XY - I have always felt that his character has the generic shounen protagonist traits (huge appetite, determination to pursue his dream which happens to be quite daring, altruism, importance of friends) and then tweaks to this each season that bring out different sides of Ash. So, the concept of a different Ash doesn't bother me either - BW Ash and XY Ash to me, are extremely different, thus, I have gotten used to Ash's fluctuating identity already. If there was an argument that this timeline made sense due to the differences between Ash in XY and SM - I would argue that Ash had already undergone a large change in character between DP and BW, and that's already in the same timeline.

Finally, I don't think the idea of that if there are two alternative timelines, the original Ash never reaching his conclusion is all that terrible either. Frankly, there are conclusions that have caused huge consternation in other fandoms - Digimon 02's epilogue and last chapter of Naruto both come to mind - I would rather not see a conclusion that I couldn't come to terms with than no conclusion at all. I also think it's kind of nice that if it did end in XY, it ends with Ash continuing on his journey - after all, that'd emphasise the importance of the journey - what I watched the anime for - as opposed to the end point and truly hit home the idea that Ash never gives up.

That is not even May's bandana. Just saying.

Also how about Barri-chan/Mimey? Didn't Hanako catch it during OS?
Unless the movie replaces a chunk of Ash's Pokemon, I don't see a reason to assume that Tauros or Mr. Mime don't get caught even if the movie doesn't cover those minor events.

Ultimately, Delia still has Mimey in SM because he's a good match for her. I doubt that there is anything more to it than that.

Likeitornot. said:
I also think it's kind of nice that if it did end in XY, it ends with Ash continuing on his journey - after all, that'd emphasise the importance of the journey - what I watched the anime for - as opposed to the end point and truly hit home the idea that Ash never gives up.
It's one thing not to give him a conclusive ending, but the idea that they would just move on from that continuity without truly acknowledging it, is quite frankly insulting. Especially so close to the 20th anniversary, which they consider important enough to focus on Kanto and Ho-Oh after all this time - except in a different continuity.

Last edited:
Eh. If you consider that more natural than Ash and his mother still owning the same species in an alternate continuity, so be it.

I think Ash is just the kind of sentimental person (in all his 'iterations' from OG through SM) who would keep a Pokeball to honour a Pokemon's memory, and in case of the off chance it came back (still waiting for ya, Pidgeot!).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom