• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Mafia - Day 4: Feeding the Flames of Firey Passion

I was disappointed in town's performance in this game. I said I could prove my vig shot and instead I got called a liar and got shot. Mafia would never fake claim a joat with an ability to prove themselves like that and the Pika mislynch on day 2 was also bad since he claimed doctor and there should always be a protect role in the game.

Next time I get a joat role I'll claim in the beginning of day 1 since it seems like the joat role nowadays is being treated like a miller.

The mafia abilities looked op for being in a small game like this. Those type of abilities I see being used in large role madness games and they often tend to be frowned upon.

gg, thanks for hosting TheCapsFan (+ Elementar)

i still think joat and my ability were essentially the same (just 1 had an extra ability over the other) and i havent come across a situation like that before

The mafia abilities looked op for being in a small game like this. Those type of abilities I see being used in large role madness games and they often tend to be frowned upon.
honestly my ability was fairly weak but I agree Fangirl's was insanely strong

factional roleblock was a bit strong too

just outta curiosity who did you shoot N1?

honestly my ability was fairly weak but I agree Fangirl's was insanely strong

factional roleblock was a bit strong too

just outta curiosity who did you shoot N1?
I was juggling between Eternal or Pika and landed on Pika.

What a game! For those who wonder, I've doused EternalPokéFanGirl in N1 but didn't go for the kill in N2 because I knew there was a tracker around - wouldn't have worked anyway becaus DawningWinds told me that EternalPokéFanGirl was undoused in N2.
However, thanks to TheCapsFan and Elementar.
And sorry for the rather random accusations, I had a vision but no plan.

I second Caps' statements. As usual I think I got carried away with creating a new custom role and I didn't consider the impacts properly.

I also apologise for not being terribly present during the actual running of the game. I originally signed up to cohost thinking that it would be completed in a less busy time for me, but I tried to help out behind the scenes and do as best I can with my limited availability. I hope you all had fun and thank you for playing our game. We really appreciate it.

I was disappointed in town's performance in this game. I said I could prove my vig shot and instead I got called a liar and got shot. Mafia would never fake claim a joat with an ability to prove themselves like that and the Pika mislynch on day 2 was also bad since he claimed doctor and there should always be a protect role in the game.

Next time I get a joat role I'll claim in the beginning of day 1 since it seems like the joat role nowadays is being treated like a miller.

Jinjo you were questioned because Space counterclaimed you. Both of you were questioned at first because we don’t expect same sides JOATs.

One thing that really confuses me….HOW THE FLIP DID MY ROLE NEVER WORK!?

Seriously I don’t see roleblocker anywhere and not once did my role work. Please tell me I’m misreading something.

Seriously I don’t see roleblocker anywhere and not once did my role work. Please tell me I’m misreading something
we had access to a factional roleblock and I'm so sorry lmfao
once I figured out you had to be the investigative role you just were the optimal target

Seriously I don’t see roleblocker anywhere and not once did my role work. Please tell me I’m misreading something.
Mafia also had a factional roleblocker (sending the galactic grunts to block) and you were blocked every night :/

I could've sworn it was X-shot at one point, but somewhere it got changed to an every night roleblocker.

I also feel like it's somewhat of a loophole to target the same person with blocking ability every night. I mean, didn't we have some rule put in place when Elieson got targeted by the silencer every night in that one game back in the day? However, after talking with Elementar, we let it slide.

Mafia also had a factional roleblocker (sending the galactic grunts to block) and you were blocked every night :/

I could've sworn it was X-shot at one point, but somewhere it got changed to an every night roleblocker.

I also feel like it's somewhat of a loophole to target the same person with blocking ability every night. I mean, didn't we have some rule put in place when Elieson got targeted by the silencer every night in that one game back in the day? However, after talking with Elementar, we let it slide.
Either x shot or not the same person every night would have really helped nerf that. Considering I was the only investigative role and they had ninja to counter me already, it really hurt town.

Well at least we had the game figured out. If not for that double vote thing I think town would have won. Being it was a balance thing and I know how hard that is I don’t mind. It’s a good reference for everyone for future games.

Who redirected me night one? I don't think I see any abilities that should've been able to do that.

Infinite factional roleblock on top of Eternal's everything else is kinda crazy. If you ever use a similar role to the Palkia role in the future again it definitely needs to be nerfed (banning in -Lo is a reasonable solution, as is limiting scum's vote use after using, or some combination), and since factional roleblock isn't anyone's actual role it does feel like it needs to be restricted some because they can't lose it upon the roleblocker dying.

I always struggle with balancing third party roles in my game because I feel like it's very unfair to give a player a third party role that has an incredibly low chance of winning, like standard Survivor or Serial Killer, just for the sake of having a third party in the game. I had the same problem with Zombie in Xenoblade Mafia. Of course, having a third party that can actually do stuff means that town needs to get buffed, and I always overestimate the effect that numbers have for the town. Once again, here we figured that 2 mafia in a game of 11/12 would have a relatively low chance of outplaying town, but what do you know.

We liked Arsonist for this, because it fit the flavor well, and could do a lot of damage at one time, which could really give it a good shot at winning.

Ah well. Perhaps I just avoid 3Ps in general from now on.
I think the Arsonist was alright balance wise; it definitely had the potential to be swingy later in the game, but with a firefighter to remove the dousing and an ascetic immune to dousing counter it, it seems alright. It was mainly the amount of power shovelled onto the Mafia that had balance issues.
Don't stop using 3p! I loved the Zombie role in Xenoblade, it was a lot of fun even though I didn't get very far. It might take some work to figure out how to balance them right but interesting 3p roles are lots of fun to get.

Btw is it possible to douse Acstetics?
Not usually; they're immune to all non-nightkill actions, and this would usually include the dousing part of the Arsonist role. If there were a way for the ascetic to temporarily be deactivated and you doused them during that, then they wouldn't be immune to ignition while ascetic.

---

@RavenRaziel98 You did really good! I wasn't really suspecting you at all until Mido's ISO of you; this is kinda where she pointed out you hadn't been scumhunting a ton, mostly throwing shade at whoever would keep it off of you. As hostile 3p in the future, the best play in my experience is to keep the focus on looking for Mafia and actively do so; as in, for real. Just try and solve who the Mafia are. This can get you townread and keep you townread under scrutiny.

@EternalPokéFanGirl You also did great! I'm really impressed, I only really suspected you by process of elimination later on.

@Sushi The Enby Idk if you're still interested in Mafia, but if you are it might help you start understand what's going on to sign up for a game or two as a spectator, and/or maybe watch a couple uninformed. This'll let you see what people are doing in the game without the pressure to participate, and watching uninformed gives the chance to try and practice solving the game. It won't make you an expert right away, but you're also always free to ask players in games you're in any questions on things you don't understand, and probably at the end of games you watch you should be okay to get your questions answered as well. (Not during since non-players can't post in thread and talking about the game outside the thread is against the rules, but if you write down whatever questions you have and ask them in endgame I bet people will be glad to help.)

@Bigfoot_the_Pokémon Don't sweat being D1 mislynched too much. Getting lynched D1 happens to every player once in a while. There might things to learn from it happening, so try and figure out what you need to note for future games and move on. But especially as a newer player there's gonna be something you can learn from every game. Keep practicing; you'll start to figure things out I think.

Welcome to the War Room y'all! Hope to see you around here in the future!

Who redirected me night one? I don't think I see any abilities that should've been able to do that.

Infinite factional roleblock on top of Eternal's everything else is kinda crazy. If you ever use a similar role to the Palkia role in the future again it definitely needs to be nerfed (banning in -Lo is a reasonable solution, as is limiting scum's vote use after using, or some combination), and since factional roleblock isn't anyone's actual role it does feel like it needs to be restricted some because they can't lose it upon the roleblocker dying.

I think the Arsonist was alright balance wise; it definitely had the potential to be swingy later in the game, but with a firefighter to remove the dousing and an ascetic immune to dousing counter it, it seems alright. It was mainly the amount of power shovelled onto the Mafia that had balance issues.
Don't stop using 3p! I loved the Zombie role in Xenoblade, it was a lot of fun even though I didn't get very far. It might take some work to figure out how to balance them right but interesting 3p roles are lots of fun to get.

Not usually; they're immune to all non-nightkill actions, and this would usually include the dousing part of the Arsonist role. If there were a way for the ascetic to temporarily be deactivated and you doused them during that, then they wouldn't be immune to ignition while ascetic.

---

@RavenRaziel98 You did really good! I wasn't really suspecting you at all until Mido's ISO of you; this is kinda where she pointed out you hadn't been scumhunting a ton, mostly throwing shade at whoever would keep it off of you. As hostile 3p in the future, the best play in my experience is to keep the focus on looking for Mafia and actively do so; as in, for real. Just try and solve who the Mafia are. This can get you townread and keep you townread under scrutiny.

@EternalPokéFanGirl You also did great! I'm really impressed, I only really suspected you by process of elimination later on.

@Sushi The Enby Idk if you're still interested in Mafia, but if you are it might help you start understand what's going on to sign up for a game or two as a spectator, and/or maybe watch a couple uninformed. This'll let you see what people are doing in the game without the pressure to participate, and watching uninformed gives the chance to try and practice solving the game. It won't make you an expert right away, but you're also always free to ask players in games you're in any questions on things you don't understand, and probably at the end of games you watch you should be okay to get your questions answered as well. (Not during since non-players can't post in thread and talking about the game outside the thread is against the rules, but if you write down whatever questions you have and ask them in endgame I bet people will be glad to help.)

@Bigfoot_the_Pokémon Don't sweat being D1 mislynched too much. Getting lynched D1 happens to every player once in a while. There might things to learn from it happening, so try and figure out what you need to note for future games and move on. But especially as a newer player there's gonna be something you can learn from every game. Keep practicing; you'll start to figure things out I think.

Welcome to the War Room y'all! Hope to see you around here in the future!
Lol, doesn't that kinda take the chance for me to win even further beyond my influence? I would've won if there was either only me or only me and one other person left - If there are two people that can't be doused, how am I supposed to pull this off? Even if I burn everyone else I would probably come to a dead end afterwards XD
But I guess at least becoming buddy with the firefighter kinda worked out I guess :D

Lol, doesn't that kinda take the chance for me to win even further beyond my influence? I would've won if there was either only me or only me and one other person left - If there are two people that can't be doused, how am I supposed to pull this off? Even if I burn everyone else I would probably come to a dead end afterwards XD
But I guess at least becoming buddy with the firefighter kinda worked out I guess :D
I wasn't actually immune to dousing, I lied about that. And Sushi/Jinjo wasn't immune to nightkills or lynches so in that case I guess hoping they get lynched or nightkilled is the best play? I could self target and remove dousing from myself, but not two nights in a row. Jinjo 2 was the only person who was actually immune to dousing I believe.

Back
Top Bottom