• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon (Dunkin) Boomer sticker cards

The Phenomenon

Reaction score
This information is all provided as far as I found out.

THE POKÉMON (DUNKIN) BOOMER STICKER CARDS
The chewing gum brand Boomer, or perhaps formerly Dunkin Boomer, offered collectible Pokémon sticker cards in the years of 1999, 2000 and 2001. They came in packets together with their bubble gum, but probably, the cards weren't a free prize, having an additional cost in comparison to just the bubble gums. This happened in the context of the time, where different types of kids food would offer some prizes like these, such as tazoos. It's possible to see pictures of the cards by searching on the internet for the tags: Pokémon Dunkin Boomer sticker cards... There's not even much information about Boomer, but it appears to now belong to the giant Mars company. The cards of 1999 and 2000 have trademark and copyright assigned to Nintendo on them. The ones of 2001 are more elaborated here, even being signaled as a product licensed by Nintendo. They can be found on France, Portugal, Spain ... they might have been European. The packets change by country, but not the cards. Not to be confused are these stickers with other ones, or with the Merlin cards from the same time, neither with the Topps ones, or naturally, the Pokémon Trading Card Game cards. These are the Boomer ones.

GETTING THEM DOCUMENTED
There are many cards on sale online, and thus, several pictures too, but there's no wiki article and its lacking some covering in that sense, which the reason for this post, to hear from anyone who may know about these cards. I could tell you my story of how I collected them, and how many other kids also did and some details, but this is instead to uncover the cards a bit, not one's personal collection. This, especially because there's something odd about the number of cards, a likely cheating presentation, as explained below.

THE THREE EDITIONS
The cards were available for three years.
  • The 1999 edition — The cards have the year of 1999 indicated. It's stated on the back and on the packets that there are 150 cards, which is in fact what can be found.
  • The 2000 edition — The cards have the year of 2000 indicated. They are basically the same as the previous ones and there are 150 cards as well (which have to be collected on top of the other ones). The number and name of the Pokémon were moved to a white stripe at the bottom. This became an element that easily distinguishes these cards from the previous ones.
  • The 2001 edition — The cards have the year of 2001 indicated. The backgrounds and Pokémon drawings were changed, but the same art style is used. They continue with the identification bottom white stripe previously introduced. New glittery or foil card versions were introduced, so there are regular card versions of each Pokémon and additional glittery versions. The design of the back of the cards and of the packets was changed. There stopped being a list of Pokémon, and instead of stating that there are 150 cards to collect, it started stating that there are new characters. There were in fact new Pokémon in this edition in addition to the old ones, including #250 Ho-ho. National Pokédex numbering is used. The amount of cards in this edition is a mystery formally not known.
TRICKED: IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO CATCH THEM ALL
Note that the number of cards isn't really officially given for the 2001 edition. Presumably, because of the introduction of the second generation of Pokémon, there would be 250 regular cards, plus the glittery or foil versions, totaling 500 cards. However, there is vast evidence that there are only 50 Pokémon featured, totaling at most 100 cards if there is a glittery version for each of them. It's misleading, as buyers would keep acquiring cards without ever getting all Pokémon. Out of what would be 250 possibilities, the dozens of internet pictures and media of these cards always feature the same 50 Pokémon. People who sell these cards always sell the same 50 Pokémon, unless my search was very coincidental. I too only have cards of those 50 Pokémon. No other Pokémon are found. Many of them are listed in the catalog here. But then, what's really strange is a Croatian Boomer album, as found on the 7th and 8th pictures from here (archived on this page). It doesn't fit any other cards other than these, and yet — it's up for 251 Pokémon. That's really wrong.

Contribute with thoughts or what you may know about how many cards there are. I still like this collection a lot, of course, it introduced me to Pokémon.

Last edited:
Hello!

To start off, I literally made an account just so I could reply to this post. I hope this post hasn't been forgotten as I am really interested in finding out more about these sticker cards as well. I am from Eruope, specifically Croatia. I grew up watching and playing Pokemon and I collected normal Pokemon Trading Cards as a kid. Today as I was organizing my old stuff from childhood I came across many Pokemon TCG Cards, Pokemon Topps cards and coincidentally, these Dunkin Boomer Cards as well. I spent quite a bit of time googling about it and I stumbled upon this post and I'm honestly quite shocked that noone ever talks about this. I saw that you mentioned some Croatian Boomer albums and the bells started ringing. I truly do remember seeing them for sale here but I do not remember owning one. Iremember the Advanced and the one with Cyndaquil and Totodile on the cover the most. I had no idea they were this rare nowadays! I read what you wrote about the 2001 series and I'm pretty sure my cards are from that series as well as the back says 1995-2001 Nintendo Licensed. I also looked at the site you linked and none of the cards Ihave are registered on that site. I have a #65 Alakazam, #85 Dodrio and a Shiny #152 Chikorita, and you're right, I haven't seen any of these 3 cards online, especially not the Chikorita. I'm really interested now 'cause it seems like these cards are quite rare and all 3 of mine are in superb condition (quite surprisingly) as they have no scratches on them and even the edges/corners are untouched. I could potentially ask some friends around here to see if they remember collecting these. Maybe some of them have these Croatian albums and know more about this.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom