• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Dear PK, I am so glad you have raised this poin! I just now wrote a post re Geckouga on why I think Oaking sucks compared to permanent release:
Releasing the Pokemon at least feels more organic and liberating - they are parting ways so that both can pursue new adventures, rather than one of them waiting endlessly in the wings for the one call that means they are needed again. I know most people hate releases because they're permanent, but Oaking is not really different. Yeah, sure, there's a potential for your beloved Pokemon to return, but how many times has that actually happened in a meaningful way?
As for the TRio numbers game, not including Nyasu, they at one point in DP had 6 Pokemon on hand between them, and frankly the group was very well handled. Musashi's participation in contests (and the fact she used Kojiro's Pokemon too) helped for sure, but even as early as late Kanto they had a team of 4 which was well balanced. The TRio and their Pokemon simply need to be written more equitably.

Dear PK, I am so glad you have raised this poin! I just now wrote a post re Geckouga on why I think Oaking sucks compared to permanent release:

As for the TRio numbers game, not including Nyasu, they at one point in DP had 6 Pokemon on hand between them, and frankly the group was very well handled. Musashi's participation in contests (and the fact she used Kojiro's Pokemon too) helped for sure, but even as early as late Kanto they had a team of 4 which was well balanced. The TRio and their Pokemon simply need to be written more equitably.
Yep. All of the TRio Pokemon in Sinnoh actually had things to do.

(Nyasu,) Sonansu, Manene, Muskippa and Sabonea were comic relief, whilst Habunake and Dokucale got to participate in contests.

I don't think permanently releasing any Pokemon is a good idea to use willy nilly, and should only be done in a completely necessary situation. Yeah, sure, we hardly see the Pokemon when they get left at Oak's and at Team Rocket HQ, but that's still more heartfelt then just parting ways with them, probably never to be seen again, whereas Ash goes to Oak's after every journey and probably sees his Pokemon offscreen and who knows, maybe Team Rocket did that after Best Wishes. The writers probably don't think older Pokemon are as marketable now, so they don't want to bring their old Pokemon along. I know they gave Clemont a Luxio, but they probably wanted him to have an Electric type Pokemon to have on his team and they couldn't give him a Heliolisk, since he already has one and Clembot was using it at the time. And lets say they did bring their old Pokemon along for example, lets say Team Rocket kept their Pokemon from the end of Diamond and Pearl and then James also caught a Yamask and an Amoonguss and Jessie caught a Woobat and a Frillish, then lets look at how mayn Pokemon they have.

Jessie: Wobbuffet, Seviper, Yanmega, Woobat, Frillish.

James: Mime Jr., Carnivine, Yamask, Amoonguss.

Then once they went to Kalos, James would only have room for one more Pokemon and Jessie's team would be full. Then what? The anime will still give them more Pokemon from the next region, so that they market the Pokemon from that same region, and Jessie would have to put some of her Pokemon somewhere and by that logic, she would either have to leave one of them at Team Rocket HQ or releasing a Pokemon or two and as I said, they shouldn't release Pokemon unless its necessary. Also, I regardless of their Pokemon from the previous generations, I very much doubt they'll release Inkay and Gourgeist anyway and the reason is that XY054 already showed that James and Inkay want to stay together, just like how XY082 showed that Jessie and Gourgeist want to stay together.

In regards to the numbers, I know they had more in Diamond and Pearl and in other regions, but I still think it was too clustered, even if it was well handles and the writers probably felt the same way as well. I think one or two for each of them is a good amount for each generation.

For some reason, I feel that Ash will get the Lycanroc midnight form. Don't get me wrong, I love the Midday form more, but there is something on the English Sun and Moon Site which makes me believe this...

Sun and Moon English Site said:
Contempt rises in this Pokémon for Trainers who give orders it doesn’t agree with or who try to force it to battle. On the other hand, it will feel a deep trust in a Trainer who can truly draw forth its power in battle.

Counter is a move that Rockruff can learn when it evolves into Midnight Form Lycanroc. When Lycanroc takes physical damage from an opponent, it deals double that damage back to the same opponent.

Who is the trainer we know who can bring forth a Pokemon's true power in battle?
I guess I don't need to explain further.

If Ash truly gets a Rockruf... please evolve into the Midday form, it's just soo much better
He rarely catches Dark-types so that would be the case most likely.

EDIT: Noticed he was pure-Rock.

Last edited:
They always use the argument that they'd raise suspicion if they're carrying Pokemon from a different region, which is complete bs, because:
1) Trainers travel from region to region all the time with their Pokemon (case in point- Ash, and even Sawyer)
2) They have a talking Meowth out with them at all times
3) They're not exactly known for their stealthiness to begin with

That was just for Unova, though. They never used that excuse for Kalos (and most likely won't for Alola).

Are you mistaking Lycanroc Midday for Lycanroc Midnight? Which is also pure Rock.

I disagree about their Kanto team being "well-balanced". After its capture episode, Jessie didn't even use Lickitung again until the Orange Islands, and even then Arbok was still her go-to Pokemon. And James used Victreebel only once while they were in Kanto.
Yeah, ok that was a slip on my part :p But I feel all this was rectified by the introduction of Sonansu, after which I haven't had any issues with team balancing until end of DP.

Greninja's part Dark.
Yeah, it's only a shame it was never really treated as a Dark-type. Someone's always pointing out the obvious like "He's sending out an Electric-type against a Flying-type! Such a smart, calculated move!".

But Greninja I don't remember going up against Fighting- or Bug-types and someone pointing out a bad match-up and it doesn't even know any Dark-type moves to be effective against, say, Ghost-types. The only real indication to its Dark typing is the fact that Diantha's Gardevoir never used any Psychic attacks. But then again, it never used any Fairy attacks, either...

Midnight form is oddly enough not a Dark type, but your right, Ash doesn't get them often anyway. Scraggy, Krookodile, and Greninja are his only 3

The only real indication to its Dark typing is the fact that Diantha's Gardevoir never used any Psychic attacks. But then again, it never used any Fairy attacks, either...
So......Moonblast doesn't count as a Fairy attack? Cause it did use it against Greninja

Midnight form is oddly enough not a Dark type, but your right, Ash doesn't get them often anyway. Scraggy, Krookodile, and Greninja are his only 3
That and also one that can evolve into a Dark type but we might never get that evolution, so yeah, it's only those three unless Ash catches a Dark type Pokemon in Alola, which only Rattata and Meowth's evolution line currently have

That and also one that can evolve into a Dark type but we might never get that evolution, so yeah, it's only those three unless Ash catches a Dark type Pokemon in Alola, which only Rattata and Meowth's evolution line currently have
Er... well, if the new 3 second preview for Goodbye Ash Greninja means something... well, then Ash really will only have the Pokemon from Unova

So......Moonblast doesn't count as a Fairy attack? Cause it did use it against Greninja
Oh, right, it did. I guess I forgot 'cause it was drowned out by the 7 Shadow Balls it used. And 2 Reflects if you wanna count those.

Oh, right, it did. I guess I forgot 'cause it was drowned out by the 7 Shadow Balls it used. And 2 Reflects if you wanna count those.
Shadow Ball is likely the animators favorite move it seems... Showing off their dark sphere powers I suppose

Back
Top Bottom