• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

I can see Ash get Litten Pikipek Rockruff Crabrawler Grubbin & maybe unexpected Pokémon like Mimikyu also/or Jangmo-o.

We've been seeing a lot of off-topic discussion of Pokémon captures and evolutions in the episode preview/review topics, so please use this thread as a hub for anything that doesn't belong elsewhere.

Do you guys know if the starters' final evolutions can learn Z moves? I'm kind of lost on this, I would like Ash's Litten (or/and Rowlet) to use them.

Do you guys know if the starters' final evolutions can learn Z moves? I'm kind of lost on this, I would like Ash's Litten (or/and Rowlet) to use them.
Apparently, any Pokémon can use Z-Moves if they have the corresponding Z-Crystal for the move's type while also knowing a move of the type of the Z-Move. Thus, there is a possibility that the starter Pokémon might be able to know a Z-Move if Ash manages to find the corresponding Z Crystal(s) (and the Pokémon fulfill the other conditions!)

Though, I would love if Jessie discovers a Psychic-type Z-Crystal and gives it to her Wobbuffet. That would be truly marvelous!

It would be a miss opportunity for Ash to not use a Z-Crystal. A good way to promote the games. An Alola form could do that too. Ash could use both of these but I wouldn't get my hopes to high.

Been awhile since I last posted....

I hope Ash catches Pokemon more often in the Alola Region than he did in the Kalos Region.

Last edited:
Here is my first post for this new thread so here are my predictions for Ash, Mallow, and Lana
Ash
1. Pikachu
2. Rowlett-Datrix- Decidueye
3. Oranguru
4. Litten-Torrocat-Incineroar
5 Kommo-o - if Kommo-o is a pseduo legendary pokemon I think ash has a good chance getting a replacement for goodra remember when ash release butterfree and gave primeape for Training he didn't catch another bug or fighting pokemon until Heracross which was both bug and fighting
6. Comfey- kinda like Bayleef in her chikorita days
other chances
Greninja- Even though Greninja left two weeks ago I have hope it will return in the future I mean I was right about Goodra returning someday and if Goodra can return so can Greninja
Rotom- in the form of a pokedex

Mallow
1. Bounsweet- Steenee - i see it evolving once
2. Lurantis- since she likes grass pokemon why not give her another one
3. Ribombee- another pokemon to represent mother natural team

Lana
1.Popplio- don't see it evolving
2. Pyukumuku- another water pokemon for her
3. Bruxish- probably not a lot of battling but friendly with the other pokemon

With Cilan putting in an appearance, any hopes that his team has changed slightly, the only one capable of evolving is Pansage but I don't think it'll evolve, maybe he has caught new Pokemon in Johto

Although we still don't have the whole pokedex released, my opinion about the teams is below.
As Ash now has only 3 Pokemon from Kalos, I can see him catchin more than 5 in Sun and Moon series.

Ash
- Pikachu
- Rowlet- I can see it evolving once, twice, or even not evolving at all
- Pikipek- will reach final stage
- Litten- Torracat- Incineroar
- Crabrawler- Will evolve- If its evolution will be Fighting/Ice as leaked, I'm pretty sure Ash will catch one. He owns only one Ice type
- Mudsbray
- Jangmo-o - Hakamo-o

Serena
I still have the feeling Serena will come back after the School Arc will end.
- Braixen (Maybe Delphox)
- Pancham
- Sylveon
- Pikachu- Alolan Raichu - If Serena will have a special episode, I have the feeling there she will meet that contest idol girl Lisia, which owns the Cosplay Pikachu, and she might give one or an egg to Serena. After she goes in Alola her female Pikachu will evolve into Raichu
- Treecko- caught in Hoenn
- Popplio- Brionne- Primarina

Mallow
- Bounsweet- Tseenee
- Lurantis

These are the following Pokemon I hope he catches/own in the Alola Region:

-Rowlet --> Dartrix --> Decidueye
- Litten --> Torracat --> Incineroar
- Pikipek --> evolves?
- Grubbin --> Charjabug --> Vikavolt
- Turtonator
- Crabrawler

Maybe: Rockruff --> Lycanroc, Mudbray --> Mudsdale, WImpod and Minior

I left Popplio out because I don't think Ash will get that one for sure. Not many water pokemon region. If Ash doesn't get Popplio, Wimpod is the likely one to fill that spot. Don't care much for the other 3 water pokemon (4th one is Tapu Finu but not counting that one as a catch for Ash, since it is a guardian of Poni Island).

Well, ignoring the fact that I'm not too fond of the Yo-Kai Watch like redesign of Ash and that it feels like a Spin-Off series so far, I'm pretty happy Ash caught Rowlett. I just hope it gets final evolution. I wanted him to catch a Phantump in XYZ anyway and Decidueye is also Grass/Ghost (and it's kinda cute with his backpack obsession) which would be somewhat new for Ash to work with. I also expect him to catch Litten in the next 5 or so episodes (meaning in Episode 10 of Sun and Moon at latest) though I'd be fine either way. I'm not sure if he gets a Pikipek as a regional Bird now, since Rowlet kind of was with those. I haven't seen enough of the new Pokemon to decide, which others I want to see with Ash yet, so I let it stay like is, for now.
Also, Ash getting Pikanium Z, is a safe bet but I wonder, is there a slim chance, that he also gets Deceitium and/or Incinerium Z (given he gets Litten soonish)? I think not so much, what about you?
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
the best thing about Z-crystals is that you never know what one will be used in a future battle, becuse the user can change them between battles. Hope that this game mechanic will stay in the games foreever and will come back from time to time in future generations anime like also will do Mega Evolutions.

hope that Halas team consists of 6 and not only 5 pokemon like in the games.
Hope that he gets the fighting dragon/fighting fully evolved.

If they keep to the game mechanic of exclusive Z moves requiring a certain move, then Ash won't get Pikanium Z. Catastropika needs Volt Tackle, which Pikachu doesn't have anymore.

No, my bet is on Pikashunium Z.

If they keep to the game mechanic of exclusive Z moves requiring a certain move, then Ash won't get Pikanium Z. Catastropika needs Volt Tackle, which Pikachu doesn't have anymore.

No, my bet is on Pikashunium Z.
You know, firstly, game logic mustn't necessarily apply too the anime and second, wouldn't be to hard to make him remember Volt Tackle or it just happens that a quick attack results into a Volt Tackle which stays, for at least Sun and Moon.

wouldn't be to hard to make him remember Volt Tackle or it just happens that a quick attack results into a Volt Tackle which stays, for at least Sun and Moon.
Nah, that sounds way too much like wish fulfilment for those who still want Volt Tackle to return.

You know, firstly, game logic mustn't necessarily apply too the anime
But they've followed this said logic perfectly so far. Look at the Z-moves and the users we've already seen.

Kiawe's Turtonator has used Inferno Overdrive and knows Flamethrower.
Ash's Pikachu has used Gigavolt Havok and knows Thunderbolt/Electro Ball, in addition to Breakneck Blitz while knowing Quick Attack.
Hala's Hariyama has used All-Out Pummeling and knows Arm Thrust.
Ash's Rowlet has used Breakneck Blitz and knows Tackle.

At this stage, it's been obeyed exactly to the letter.

Nah, that sounds way too much like wish fulfilment for those who still want Volt Tackle to return.

But they've followed this said logic perfectly so far. Look at the Z-moves and the users we've already seen.

Kiawe's Turtonator has used Inferno Overdrive and knows Flamethrower.
Ash's Pikachu has used Gigavolt Havok and knows Thunderbolt/Electro Ball, in addition to Breakneck Blitz while knowing Quick Attack.
Hala's Hariyama has used All-Out Pummeling and knows Arm Thrust.
Ash's Rowlet has used Breakneck Blitz and knows Tackle.

At this stage, it's been obeyed exactly to the letter.

1. May sound so but I don't think that's beyond the Anime staff. Only time will tell.

2. Give you that point (not following too close to this stuff, Gen 7 games were kind of a letdown and on times mostly annoying anyway but I digress) but I'll never be fully convinced that they follow the exact recipe all the way.

Back
Top Bottom