• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Global Link closing service for XY and ORAS

Kirby4ever

Likes cute Pokemon
Reaction score
It had been announced on Pokemon Global Link tonight that their service for Pokemon XY and ORAS on October so they can make space for Pokemon Sun and Moon. You can still go online, but you can't sync your gen 6 games, can't bring items into those games, can't do rating battles, and can't check the log books. I'm sure that we can do those things when Pokemon Sun and Moon comes out. What do you guys think? Right now, it's time to start working on clearing out Pokebank and put in those Pokemiles since they might be the same or turned into something for Sun and Moon. We have until late October to do this and what that comes, Pokemon XY and ORAS will no longer be able to use PGL.

Pokémon Global Link

Aww...a little short, but I should Wonder Trade like heck to get as many Rainbow Scales as I can.

Aww...a little short, but I should Wonder Trade like heck to get as many Rainbow Scales as I can.
You can still get Rainbow Scales from Lovediscs. Why you need a lot of Rainbow scales even though Pokemon Sun and Moon comes out in November?

I never really used it anyway, I did like one competition(Battle of Legends). I never bothered to figure out what Pokemiles even do, I just take the BP

You'll still be able to Wondetrade after Global Link goes down, so no need to hurry ;)

Things you can't do anymore after Global Link goes down:
  • Logging into Global Link
  • Game Sync
  • Returning items into the game
  • Rating Battles
Things you CAN still do after Global Link goes down:
  • Wonder Trading
  • Free Battles
  • Use the GTS
I'm not too sad Global Link is going down for a while, I'd rather have they take their time to make sure everything is up and running as soon as Sun and Moon come out. I specifically hope the servers will be ready for lots of people making their own competitions. I expect that feature to be quite popular, especially the first month after the games are out.

Also fun to note: from July 26th everything on the PokéMileage Club will be 50% off and Ability Capsules will be re-added for 5,000 PokéMiles a piece. Still have loads of PokéMiles, so think I'm gonna spend those on some Ability Capsules then ^^

You'll still be able to Wondetrade after Global Link goes down, so no need to hurry ;)

Things you can't do anymore after Global Link goes down:
  • Logging into Global Link
  • Game Sync
  • Returning items into the game
  • Rating Battles
Things you CAN still do after Global Link goes down:
  • Wonder Trading
  • Free Battles
  • Use the GTS
I'm not too sad Global Link is going down for a while, I'd rather have they take their time to make sure everything is up and running as soon as Sun and Moon come out. I specifically hope the servers will be ready for lots of people making their own competitions. I expect that feature to be quite popular, especially the first month after the games are out.

Also fun to note: from July 26th everything on the PokéMileage Club will be 50% off and Ability Capsules will be re-added for 5,000 PokéMiles a piece. Still have loads of PokéMiles, so think I'm gonna spend those on some Ability Capsules then ^^
Um...I kind of already know what I can or can't do when the Global Link shuts down for Gen VI (which is a bit short compared to shutting down the Wi-Fi service after 9 years).

The question is, will Poké Transporter still work? Bank will because of the compatibility with S/M, so hopefully they'll keep Transporter up. Otherwise I could delete who knows how many Pokémon whenever I decide to buy a used White 2! If they take it down there'll be much less incentive to go buy used Pokémon games with no way to transfer them over to now.
(When I bought my Black, I brought over a ton of Pokémon from it, which was pretty good.)

The question is, will Poké Transporter still work? Bank will because of the compatibility with S/M, so hopefully they'll keep Transporter up. Otherwise I could delete who knows how many Pokémon whenever I decide to buy a used White 2! If they take it down there'll be much less incentive to go buy used Pokémon games with no way to transfer them over to now.
(When I bought my Black, I brought over a ton of Pokémon from it, which was pretty good.)
You can still you Pokebank since Pokemon Global Link has no control over Pokebank.

Okay, good. Now we just have to hope they don't take down Nintendo Network...
Why would Nintendo take down Nintendo Network when there's games that need it and there's no next gen game and consoles that play them yet? I think you need to relax. :p

Nintendo Wi-Fi connection was started in 2004, it was pretty outdated when it shut down. Nintendo Network is a lot more flexible.

As for the Gen VI PGL shutting down, it was expected. Gen V's wound down pretty quickly as X/Y released.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom