• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Pokemon Moonlight Silver (COMPLETE!!!)

Ah I see, and honestly I don't mind not seeing Team Rocket, as for Lyra and Hana always nice to see ingame playable characters pop up. yeah I thought as much.

One of the things that bothers me about the show is how Team Rocket has to show up in every episode, when many episodes have (or would have) perfectly decent plots if they were removed altogether.

My solution for this remix was dramatically reduce how often they appear and have what appearances they do have mirror the games (save for a few memorable episodes that are fan favorites or were just too good not to cut)

@Charles Legend;

Episode 22: Tears of Emeralds

After bidding Sonrisa and the residents of Bloomingvale Town goodbye, the group departed in high spirits the next morning. "Well done on your first Lore Stage victory!" Misty raved. "I remember when you told 'Moltres' Song' to Ash and me when we first arrived in Pewter."

"Which seems like ancient history now..." Ash mused.

"It's one of my signature stories--and the theme for the Lore Stage was 'joy', so I felt it would work." Brock explained as he admired the red stripe between the cloud patches on his vest. "But I also know I have six more colors to earn, and if I do create a rainbow, I'll have a chance to perform before an even bigger audience--the Pokemon League."

"I want to see you do some more stage archery!" Misty suggested.

"Well, what you see on the stage takes weeks and sometimes months of practice to get right." Brock began before he spotted Lyra and Hana in the distance on the plains. "I see Lyra and Hana!"

Ash noticed a concerned look on Lyra's face. "Something's wrong--normally she and Hana are happy together."

"Well, let's go see what the matter is." Misty motioned for the boys to follow her to a shady spot, where Lyra was consoling a sobbing Hana.

"What happened?" Ash asked. "Why's Hana crying?"

"I wish I knew myself." Lyra sighed. "We challenged a trainer here on this plain, and although Hana won the battle, she seemed off...like she was holding herself back for some reason. I don't know if something else caused her to cry, or what, but I can't bear to see her crying like this. If only I knew what the matter was..."

"Did you take Hana to a Pokemon Center after the battle?" Brock asked.

"Yes...Nurse Joy thinks Hana may be depressed." Lyra replied.

"Although I'm no medical expert myself, I would be very careful against jumping to conclusions just because she's crying a lot and generally mopey." Brock cautioned. "Has there been any dramatic change in her appetite or sleeping habits?"

"No..." Lyra replied. "She has lost a little of her energy, but she doesn't feel worthless or want to hurt herself. In fact, she doesn't want to withdraw, but doesn't want to leave my side."

"It may be something totally different from depression." Misty mused.

Ash nodded in agreement. "Separation anxiety, maybe? Or just anxiety in general?"

"Maybe." A smile formed on Lyra's face. "She's been having a lot of nightmares lately..."

"Well, even Pokemon need to relax." Brock assured Lyra. "So if you've been pushing her a lot, take a step back and slow down a bit."

"If she's afraid, reward her for being brave!" Ash suggested.

"There's an idea!" Lyra smiled.

Brock, meanwhile, knelt down to Hana's level as she trudged away from Lyra's arms. "Is everything okay? Whatever's bothering you, you can tell us, and we won't laugh it off."

[Really?] Hana asked.

"Yeah..." Brock replied as he settled in the grass, still at Hana's eye level. "So, what's going on?" he asked as Ash and Misty joined him in the grass, with Lyra under the shade of a tree.

Hana sighed. [I'm both scared I'll let Lyra down one day, and a little jealous of Ash's and Tintri's friendship...]

"Okay, why do you think you'll let Lyra down?" Brock pressed Hana further.

[When we fought that trainer earlier today, I barely won against his Raticate.] Hana explained as she wiped away her tears with her leaf. [I don't want to see Lyra sad, and I really don't want to lose.]

She looked over at Ash. [Can I say that I admire and respect the bond you and Tintri have? I want a bond with Lyra that's that close.]

"So you admire my relationship with Tintri, but you're afraid of losing, which you think is letting Lyra down?" Ash asked, making sure he had heard Hana correctly.

Hana nodded. "Whether you like it or not, losing is a part of any Pokemon's life." Misty explained. "Despite all the preparation and training in the world, you are still going to lose sometimes.

[The reason why Ash and I are so close is we understand our strengths and weaknesses, and we respect each other's limits, both in the battlefield and out.] Tintri explained. [Even the times you lose have lessons you can learn.]

Hana pondered what Tintri had said for a moment. [I never thought of losing like that before...]

"Besides--battling's not the only thing you do well, Hana." Lyra added. "You're very friendly to other people and other Pokemon, and eager to explore."

[Okay...so how can losing teach me?] Hana asked Ash.

"Well..." Ash thought for a moment. "Losing can allow you to see the strategies your opponent was using, and how you can better defend against them next time."

[Okay...] Hana mused, now in a slightly better mood.

"Think of battling like playing music." Brock explained. "If you stumble over a wrong note, you don't shove the instrument back in its case, or close up the piano, and never come back to it for a long time because you think you're the worst musician in the world. You go back and practice the passage in question until you can play it well."

"Likewise, try not to beat yourself up over what you did or did not do in the match." Misty added. "Even when you lose, you still gave your all to win, right?"

[Yeah...] Hana replied.

"So you think about what you did well, and how to improve what didn't go so well, so you're ready for next time." Misty replied.

"Also know that I would never punish you for not doing well." Lyra told Hana. "That's never a good reason to punish anyone, and I will still love you, regardless of how well you battle.'

[Thanks, guys...] Hana smiled. [I feel like a big rock's been lifted off of me, so I can keep growing towards the sun!]

"Anytime." Ash smiled. "If you need someone to talk to, you can talk to Lyra or one of us." he assured Hana as Brock got up to retrieve the camp supplies.

Misty looked up to notice the sun setting. "Wow...we spent all day talking?"

"We probably needed to stop and rest after being on the road for the last few days." Ash explained.

[And I learned so much from our long talk.] Hana smiled as she romped into Lyra's arms, moments before Brock returned with the camp supplies.

Lyra smiled. "I can't thank you enough for talking to Hana today--I think she's back to her old self again!"

To Be Continued...

Yah I remember reading that nice throwback, it's also nice to see good advice being given, side note care to explain how humans can understand what Pokemon are saying?

@Charles Legend;

Episode 23: Counting on an Ally

"Okay, chili's done!" Brock smiled as he checked a pot simmering over the camp stove. "I have chips and the trimmings if you wanna make nachos with it." he explained, gesturing to nacho toppings strewn across a large rock near their temporary campsite.

"About time! I'm starved!" Ash eagerly hurried to the stove to receive his share, than hurried over to assemble the ultimate nacho platter for him to share with his team and Tintri.

Misty smiled. "I'll just enjoy the chili by itself today...besides, we have a lovely view in the Lanas Hills."

After handing off Misty's share of the chili, Brock reached for his guidebook and thumbed to the appropriate chapter. "According to the guidebook, the Lanas Hills are named for the many Mareep farms and Mareep herders that live in the area. There's also a town named Lanas Town, where a big festival honoring the Mareep is held every year."

"Sounds fun!" Ash grinned as he put a spoonful of sour cream atop the mountain of chilli, chips, cheese, and vegetables he had created.

Misty rolled her eyes. "Better to list what Ash DIDN'T put in his nachos than what he put in there..."

"I have to feed my whole team as well as me, so best to have a variety." Ash explained as he heaved his three remaining Poke Balls skyward. "Mina! Brenna! River! Lunchtime!"

[Mmm...smells delicious out here.] a small blue turtle Pokemon smiled as it tottled over to the massive platter.

[Nice, you remembered the guacamole.] Mina smiled as she flew down to help herself to the platter.

"Remember, gang--it's all you care to eat!" Ash reminded the Pidgeot, the Squirtle, the Marill, and the Pikachu before him as he took the most chili and cheese filled piece he could find.

[Looks amazing!] River gasped before helping herself to a portion full of lettuce.

Just as Ash was about to take a bite, he noticed a small yellow sheep-like Pokemon wearing a plaid bow trotting towards the group's camp. [Hi--were you coming to join us for lunch?] Tintri asked.

"Maaaa!" the sheep Pokemon replied before Headbutting Tintri. [Hey, what was THAT for?] he protested as he charged a warning spark.

He swallowed hard as the sheep Pokemon absorbed some of his sparks, making it become even fluffier. Oh no... he thought as several more of the sheep Pokemon came bounding over the hills, eager to absorb some of Tintri's electricity. [Where's a dragon Pokemon when you need one?] he screeched as he scrambled to get away from the small flock of sheep Pokemon.

Piqued in the chaos, Ash retrieved his Pokedex to learn more about Tintri's pursuers:

"Mareep, the wool Pokemon. Its fluffy coat swells to double when static electricity builds up. Touching it can be shocking."

[NOW you tell me...] Tintri sighed as his warning Thundershock made a Mareep's wool puff up.

"Hey!" he heard a female voice call. "Leave that Pikachu alone!"

Tintri managed to get a glimpse of one Mareep hopping to greet a brown haired girl about six or seven years old. I see...these Mareeps probably belong to this little girl and her family.

Just then, he heard an older female voice call "Raika, Come bye!" and watched as a Raichu circled around his pursuers, and gathered them close to her. He watched the Raichu's owner, a young woman with neatly braided brown hair in dull teal work clothes call "Raika, look back.", prompting the Raichu to look and see if all the Mareep were safe and accounted for.

Once sure all the Mareep were together, the woman smiled. "That'll do, Raika."

The Raichu nodded, and obediently brought the flock to the woman. [Here y'are, Miss Ellen. They're all safe.]

He then saw the girl he had seem before approach the woman with a sullen look on your face. "Mary...remember that you need to be on guard at all times--predators can attack with no warning." she explained.

"I'm sorry, Mom...I was just so excited about the Mareep Festival, I forgot about the flock." the girl sighed.

"I know you want to enter Fluffy in the festival, but I don't think you're ready yet." the woman explained.

"But when CAN I be ready?" the girl protested.

"What's going on?" Ash asked as he retrieved Tintri.

"Ever since my daughter Mary received a Mareep of her own, she's had her heart set on entering this year's Lanas Festival." the woman explained. "But I fear her constant training is becoming an obsession, to the detriment of her other responsibilities."

She looked over at the group. "Are you three traveling, by chance?"

"We are...I'm Ash...and these are my companions Misty and Brock." Ash replied, gesturing to Misty and Brock as he introduced them.

"Nice to meet you." Misty replied.

"Pleased to meet you." Brock agreed.

"And this is my partner, Tintri--who you guys rescued." Ash explained as Tintri shyly waved hello.

"My name's Ellen, and this is my partner Raika." the woman smiled as she petted the Raichu. "She can herd Mareep better than any Growlithe..."

"That I have to see!" Misty was intrigued.

"Hi, I'm Mary!" the girl smiled as she shepherded a familiar Mareep wearing a plaid bow to her side. "And this is Fluffy." she grinned, unaware that Tintri was nervously sparking.

"If you need a place to stay for the night, our house is not far from here." Ellen offered. "Otherwise you'd have to travel through the night to get to Lanas Town."

"We'll take you up on that offer." Ash replied as he followed Ellen, Raika, and the flock of Mareep up a hill towards a large sprawling farm overlooking a forest.

---------

"Fluffy, use Thundershock!" Mary commanded as Ash and Tintri arrived in a smaller field near the house later that evening.

Ash applauded as Fluffy fired a tiny thunderbolt at a makeshift ball target. "Not bad." he commented. "Want to try battling against a real opponent?"

"Sure!" Mary smiled as Brock arrived on the dusty hill overlooking the house and the farm, where Mary and Fluffy had been practicing.

After drawing a Poke Ball shape in the dusty ground, Brock asked Mary "Which side of the Poke Ball do you want?"

"Left!" Mary replied as she led Fluffy to the Poke Ball's left side.

"Okay, so Mary's on Gold, and Ash is on Silver." Brock replied before explaining to Mary "Since this is just practice and no one's really watching us, I'm not gonna introduce the sides like real referees do."

"You will count us down and blow the whistle, right?" Mary asked, her eyes shining excitedly.

"Of course." Brock replied as he retrieved his own whistle and hurried to the line dividing the Poke Ball drawing in half. "Are both sides ready?"

Mary cheered in reply. "On your whistle, Brock." Ash calmly replied.

"Okay...and three...two...one..." Brock counted before blowing his whistle to start the match.

Tintri immediately jumped to avoid Fluffy's opening Headbutt, before powering around the little Mareep with Agility. "Fluffy, use Thundershock!" Mary called, but gasped as Fluffy collapsed on the ground with a plop. "Oh no...Fluffy!"

Another whistle blast confirmed her worst fear. "Gold is unable to battle." Brock announced. "Silver wins!"

Tears welled up in Mary's eyes. "How could THIS happen? I worked so hard getting Fluffy ready for her first ever battle..."

"Come here..." Ash knelt down to Mary's eye level and wiped her tears away. "Maybe the reason why Fluffy fainted right out of the gate was because you've been working her too hard--and every Pokemon has their limit. Good trainers understand what this limit is for each Pokemon they own, and try not to push them past that limit."

"So I reached Fluffy's limit?" Mary asked.

Ash nodded. "While time in the arena and practicing moves is all well and good, you also need to give your Pokemon a chance to rest. A rested Pokemon will do much better in battle than a tired one."

Mary pondered what Ash had said as she, Ash, and Brock started back towards the house, with Mary carrying Fluffy in her arms. "You're right...maybe I do need to let Fluffy rest for a while."

"Come on--let's head back inside and have dinner." Ash suggested.

"And after dinner, we'll sing some songs and hear a tale or two." Brock agreed, gesturing to the group's instrument cases in the living room as they arrived in the house.

"Stories?" Mary gasped, excited. "Can you tell one with princesses and magic and dragon Pokemon and adventure in it?"

Brock nodded. "I'll see what I can come up with."

To Be Continued...

Last edited:
@Charles Legend

Interlude: Mary's Bedtime Story

"Okay..." Brock mused as he brought his plate to the sink for Ellen to wash. "One story with princesses, magic, monsters, and adventure, coming up..."

After the group settles in the house's living room and Brock thinks of a suitable story, he begins "Long ago, when this world was full of a deeper magic and terrifying monsters, and the rivers ran with milk and honey, there lived a king--whose name does not concern us--with his queen and their three sons, Alex, Dimitri and Peter, who were all handsome and clever."

Tintri bounds by Mary's side as Brock continues "One day the queen, who had gone on a walk on the open plains, failed to return to the palace, and though the royal army searched far and wide, no trace could be found of her. She had disappeared into thin air."

"So what did the king do?" Mary wondered

"He called together his ministers and advisors, his sages, his grandees and counselors, and asked their advice, and after discussing the matter for three weeks, the chief elder came before him and said..."

In an older version of himself, he announces "Your Majesty! We have concluded that the queen has been spirited away by Darkrai, the Nightmare Pokemon. While his own realm and castle are deep beneath this world, he possesses many other strongholds in the land of mortals, and it has long been known that his most beautiful and well guarded palaces are on the tops of the highest and most inaccessible mountains in the world. It is, however, pointless to fight against him, for his palaces are enchanted by the darkest of magics, and Darkrai himself cannot be killed by mortal means, since he carries his life not in his body, but in a secret place that is known only to him. We counsel you, therefore, to choose another wife, for your lost queen you will never see again until Arceus returns triumphant."

As himself, Brock continues "The king was devastated by this speech. He loved his vanished queen so much, he dared not choose another in her place, but sent heralds into kingdoms far and wide, offering wealth and honors to the one who brought her back to him. Daring heroes, brave adventurers, and great generals came in response to the call, each of them promising valiant deeds, and the king bade each of them take from the royal treasury sufficient gold for his needs. But though many came and many went, there was no news of the missing queen."

"Poor queen..." Mary sighs.

One day, as the king sat musing in his summer palace, his three sons came into the garden and, unaware that he was within earshot, began to talk with each other about what was going on, unaware their father the king was listening in." Brock explains. "When the princes had left the garden, the king returned to the palace and summoned them to his presence.

In character as the king, he tells an imagined person "My dear sons, you know how the loss of your mother troubles my heart and soul. Many brave heroes have searched for her in vain and I am compelled to send one of you forth. Alex, as my eldest, take my fatherly blessing, with as much gold and as many troops as you require, and try your fortune in the quest. If you succeed, you will inherit my kingdom."

As himself, he continues "So Prince Alex took from the treasury a full purse and with fifty thousand troops armed with iron lances, swords, bows, and powerful spells, set out from the capital. He rode one day, and then rode one week, he rode a month, and two and three, asking questions of all he met, until he had passed beyond the borders of his father's kingdom, but no one had heard of the lost queen or of the strongholds of Darkrai the Nightmare Pokemon."

He intones "Finally, he came to a desert land where only earth and sky were to be seen and the sand was as hot as cinders, and one by one his troops perished until only ten remained. Beyond the desert was a forest and on the outskirts of the forest, in a patch of brush and brambles, he came upon an old man sitting on a stone, unaware it was Arceus in disguise."

"Hail to you, Grandfather," he calls in a mimic of Gary for Prince Alex.

"And to you likewise, milord," he replies in a gentle deep voice for Arceus. "Where does the wind take you? Have you come here to escape a task or find one?"

"To find one," he answers as Prince Alex. "I seek the stronghold of Darkrai the Nightmare Pokemon, who has spirited away my mother."

"You are on the right track, but you will not be able to reach it."

"Why not?"

"Because, there are three rivers in between, over which you must be ferried, and the price asked is a great one."

"I have gold and plenty to spare."

Mary giggles at Brock's vocal dexterity as Brock continues as himself "With that, Prince Alex rode on to the first of the three rivers....."

---------

"...Prince Peter fastened the boat and rode on, and before long he came to a mountain so high that its top appeared to be propped against the sky, and he could hardly lift his eyes to its summit." Brock continues. "He left his steed to graze, and searched until he came upon the iron door and entered the cave. Here he found the four iron claws, and after tying them to his hands and feet, began to climb the mountain. For a whole month he climbed, higher and higher, and finally he reached the top, which was so high that one could see the whole world, with all its realms, spread out as if on the palm of his hand. Here he took off the iron claws, thanked Arceus, and after resting three days, went onward."

"Wow!" Mary gasped.

"Whether the way was long or short, I don't know, but he came at last to a vast palace built all of gold. No guard stood at its gate, and he went inside." Brock explains. "Every room he passed through was of gold. In the innermost chamber sat a maiden on a golden chair, embroidering on a golden frame, and the scissors, the thimble and the needle she used were of gold too. He greeted her and told her his quest."

"This is indeed a palace of Darkrai, young hero," Misty jumps in the role of the lady. "My name is Orla. I, too, was stolen away from my father's kingdom by the Nightmare Pokemon, who comes here to visit me once every three months. I know nothing of your mother, but if you go to Darkrai's second palace, maybe you may hear of her. The Nightmare Pokemon is hard to conquer, however, and you are the first who has been able to come this far in recent memory. Should you succeed, remember me and take me back with you to the world of light."

"Prince Peter promised her this, and setting out, traveled until he came to a palace more splendid than the first one, built all of silver." Brock continues. "It, too, was unguarded, and entering, he found in its innermost chamber a maiden sitting on a silver stool, weaving on a silver loom with thread of pure silver. He greeted her, and told of his quest."

"My name is Ariana." Misty fills in the second lady's dialogue. "I too was stolen away from my father's realm by the Nightmare Pokemon, and brought to this palace, where he comes to visit me once every two months. I have not seen your mother, but if you go to Darkrai's third palace, beyond this, maybe you may hear of her. If you meet in battle and are the victor over him, do not forget me, but take me with you to the world of light."

"Prince Peter gave Princess Ariana his promise and set out immediately, and the next day came to a palace which blazed like fire in the sunlight, for it was built entirely of pure crystal." Brock continues, to Mary's awe. "Like the others, it was unguarded, so he entered and explored it. In its inmost chamber he found a maiden sitting on a crystal couch, making lace on a crystal pillow, and both the shuttle and the thread were pure crystal. This lady was of such beauty that no mortal word could describe her, and no mortal song was worthy of her."

"Hail and well met, milady!" Ash, in the role of Prince Peter, greets Misty.

"To you likewise, young prince," Misty replies as the third lady. "But how did you come here? By your own free will or by force?"

"By my own free will." Ash answers. "I seek my mother who has been stolen away from my father's kingdom by Darkrai. Can you tell me where she is?"

"Why should I not be able?" Misty smiles. "My name is Christina, and I too was stolen from my father's kingdom by the Nightmare Pokemon, who visits me here once each month. But your mother he keeps in his fourth palace, which is built of diamonds, and there you must go. But, I beg you, if you do overcome and slay the monster, remember me and take me with you into the world of light."

"Better I give my own life than leave you to Darkrai!" Ash vows as Prince Peter.

"Listen closely," Misty explains in character. "When you come to the fourth of the Nightmare Pokemon's many palaces, you will see that it lies in a garden which is surrounded like a wall by an enormous Arbok coiled with its tail in its mouth. Take this bundle of herbs, and when you come into the open field around the palace, choose a spot where the wind blows from you toward the Arbok, build a fire, and throw some of the herbs into the flames. Be careful that you do not use it all and that you yourself stand with the wind at your back. The smoke will put the Arbok to sleep, and you may then climb over its body and enter the palace."

Mary smiles with anticipation as Brock continues "Prince Peter bade her farewell and set out, and when he had traveled a day he came to a palace which rose dazzling white from the midst of a green garden, and all around the garden lay coiled a huge Arbok, a living, scaly wall. He went into the meadow, built a fire and threw some sprigs of the herbs on it, creating a great plume of smoke which the wind drove toward the Arbok, causing it to fall asleep. He then climbed over it and entered the diamond palace."

"What was in there?" Even Ellen is interested, and at the same time enjoying how her daughter is entranced by the epic adventure.

"He passed through room after room till he came to the innermost sanctum, and there he saw his mother sitting on a diamond throne, dressed in a robe of brocade sewn with diamond dust, and wearing a queen's crown studded with diamonds." Brock explains. When she saw him she ran to him, and embracing him, she cried..."

"How have you found me here, my brave and beloved son? For I, your mother, am in the power of this mighty Nightmare Pokemon who comes to me each day." Misty gasps in character as the mother, complete with wearing a towel as a cape. "You will strive to overcome him, yet he commands powerful dark magic, while you are but a untested hero--I greatly fear for you!"

"The wind does not blow forever," Ash assures Misty in character.

"They kissed and caressed one another for a moment, until a mighty rushing wind made the crystal windows rattle." Brock intones, aware of the wind blowing outside and the clouds obscuring the stars.

"Darkrai comes even now," Misty tells Ash. "Hide beneath my mantle!"

As if on cue, a rumble of thunder was heard outside, snapping Ash and Misty out of character. "Nice touch." Ash commented as rain started to fall outside.

Ellen, however, seemed excited about the storm. "Come on, Mary...let's get the Mareep to the top of the hill so the lightning can fluff up their wool!"

"Okay!" Mary led the group outside into the rain. "You can tell me the rest of the story once we get back in, okay?" she assures Brock.

To Be Continued...

@Charles Legend;

Episode 24: Attack in the Night

"Wow!" Misty gasped as lightning flashed across the night sky, illuminating the cliff the Mareep flock was standing on. Every so often, a bolt would streak down and strike a Mareep, making it cry joyfully as the surge of power made the wool fluffier and brighter.

"This is beautiful..." Ash agreed as he welcomed Tintri into the somewhat dry pocket of his raincoat.

"We do have to be careful when we bring the flock to the cliff." Ellen cautioned before a huge bolt interrupted the conversation. "Wild Mightyenas roam the forests in this area, and I sure would hate for one of the flock to wind up dinner for them."

"We have our teams, and Brock is an expert archer in case our Pokemon fall in battle." Misty explained.

"That's what I have covered beneath my rain gear." Brock explained before letting Mary see one of the green fletched arrows. "Fingers crossed I won't have to use them."

Just then, a howl in the distance made everyone jump. "Oh no..." Misty sighed as she spotted some black and gray wolf-like Pokemon emerging from the nearby forest, intrigued in the Mareep flock on the cliff.

Ash's first thought was to order Tintri to attack, but Ellen stopped him. "Typically, Mightyenas are more afraid of you than you are of them, but once urged to attack, than can and will harm people and other Pokemon. I wouldn't attack unless one of the Mareep is in danger or we have no other option."

Piqued, Ash decided to read up on the group of wolf Pokemon:

"Mightyena, the bite Pokemon. An invasive species native to the Houen region, they live in a pack in the wild." the Pokedex began. "They never defy their leader's orders, and defeat foes with perfectly coordinated teamwork."

Misty swallowed hard. "I'm not sure we should be engaging those..."

[Relax--if we must fight to protect the flock, I'd happily take down those ol' snarlers with my Thunderbolt!] Raika assured the antsy group.

[And mine too!] Tintri agreed.

"Where did these Pokemon from another region come from?" Brock was curious.

"It started as a well intentioned experiment to reintroduce Mightyenas in a similar habitat after they were very nearly eradicated in their native land." Ellen explained. "But it went south very quickly--what didn't get killed by the Mareep farmers succumbed to disease. Even though I hear the Mightyena population in Houen has since recovered, a few packs still remain here in Johto as remnants of that experiment.

"If I ever get to go there, I'll have to see them in their native land for myself." Ash mused, at the same time unaware of a Mightyena sneaking up on Fluffy.

Mary, however, spotted the Mightyena. "Fluffy!" she yelped, which spurred the Mightyena pack to charge towards the vulnerable flock.

Raika, meanwhile, blocked the pack leader from Fluffy. [Don't you DARE harm these Mareeps!] she warned as the snarling Mightyena approached the frightened Mareep.

She nimbly jumped to avoid the Mightyena's sharp claws, then fired a massive Thunderbolt, knocking the pack leader and several other Mightyenas backwards. [I've got the pack leader--you and your friends go work on the other pack members!] she instructed Tintri.

[Got it!] Tintri nodded before hurrying off to engage another Mightyena.

"Pearl, Spritz, Ami, go help Tintri!" Misty instructed as she heaved three Pokemon skyward.

"I have Hinata and Argent on standby, if either of you need help." Brock reported before hurrying off to find a vantage point to shoot from, should the need to use his bow arise.

"Mina, Brenna, River, go help Misty's team!" Ash instructed as he too summoned his remaining Pokemon.

[I'll be your eyes from the air!] Mina volunteered before taking off to get a better view of the battle zone.

She reported to Ash down below [Okay...Raika's busy with the pack leader and the alphas, Misty's team is dealing with those pack members on the left, and your team is dealing with those on the right. Brock is on standby behind that hill close to you.]

"Thanks, Mina." Ash grinned before hurrying to join his team.

[I'm gonna go give Raika some air support.] Mina told Ash before flying towards the hill where Raika was grappling with the pack leader and unleashing a Whirlwind attack, sending the two Mightyenas with the leader tumbling down the hill.

[Thanks...] Raika wheezed. [This pack leader is very strong...I don't know...if...I can...]

Mina squawked with alarm as the pack leader swatted Raika, sending her tumbling down the hill and landing at Ellen's feet.

"Raika!" Ellen gasped. "Are you okay?"

"I think so..." Raika wheezed, but she looked very clearly in pain. [That pack leader...was...too...strong...]

"Team, hold off the Mightyenas!" Misty called. "Protect the Mareeps at all costs!"

[HAAAAAAAAAH!!!!] Pearl unleashed a Water Gun, sending three Mightyenas tumbling back down the hill. Spritz followed up with a Mist attack, making it hard for the remaining Mightyenas to see.

[Pokemon down!] Mina reported to Brock. [Raika's been unplugged!]

Mary, meanwhile, had an idea. "Maybe if we somehow froze the Mightyenas in place, that would buy the flock time to power up Fluffy!"

"But, Mary...!" Ellen started to protest.

"How will we know Mary's plan won't work if we don't try it?" Ash interrupted.

"It is risky, yes, but we know how special the flock is to you both, and will do anything to keep the Mareep safe." Misty assured Ellen. "So try and trust Mary."

Ellen weighed the pros and cons of her daughter's idea as another thunderbolt rumbled overhead. "Okay...if it means saving the flock, we'll try your idea." she told Mary.

[First, I'll freeze some of your arrows, Brock...] Pearl offered before firing an Ice Beam from her core, freezing the arrowheads of the three arrows in Brock's hands.

"Thanks, Pearl." Brock replied as he carefully aimed one of the frozen arrows at the pack leader, which was creeping up behind a Mareep that Fluffy was guarding.

After a few tense seconds, he fired into the grass, freezing the pack leader and several other Mightyenas solid. "Bullseye." he grinned.

He explained to Mary. "Even though they are predators, I still don't want to hurt the Mightyenas, so that's why I fired into the grass."

"Oh..." Mary grinned as she watched the other Mareeps rally each other into gently zapping Fluffy.

For a moment, the only sound was the pitter patter of the rain, a rumble of thunder in the distance, and the quiet crackle of electricity as the Mareeps worked to give Fluffy strength. "I don't know if we'll have time to get Fluffy powered up in time..." Misty worried as she saw some of the ice from Brock's arrow begin to melt.

Ash grimaced. I don't know how I can help, but Fluffy is our only chance! If she falls, not only will Mary be heartbroken, but we'll be toast!

He didn't know where the words came from, but he found himself singing Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul..., which supercharged one Mareep's thunderbolt to the point where it gave Fluffy a golden glow, moments before the pack leader broke free!

Ellen watched in awe as the little gold Mareep rammed, Headbutted, and Thundershocked the pack leader. "I can't believe it...Fluffy's holding her own in battle!" Mary gasped. "Although maybe Ash's spell helped supercharge her bravery too."

Inspired, she called "Fluffy, use Thundershock!"

[HI-YAAAAAAAAAA!!!!] Fluffy screamed as she fired the biggest thunderbolt she could muster, paralyzing the pack leader and forcing the other Mightyenas to flee!

"We did it!" Mary cried as the rain started to subside. "We scared those mean ol' Mightyenas away, didn't we, Fluffy?"

"You sure did, hon..." Ellen smiled as she hurried to assess the flock for injuries. "But Fluffy's the real hero, here..."

She then offered Mary a Poke Ball. "For your heroic deed here tonight, I think you and Fluffy are ready for the festival after all."

"Honest?" Mary gasped. "Yay!!!!! We get to battle in the festival after all, Fluffy!"

Ellen then led out the Mareep Ash's Heart Song had supercharged. "While I don't doubt your Pikachu's bravery, feel free to adopt this Mareep as a token of our thanks."

"Thanks." Ash smiled as he watched Hinata retrieve the arrow Brock had shot earlier. "Any ideas for Mareep names?" he asked Brock.

"How about..." Brock thought for a moment. "Luce?"

"Loose? What kind of a name is that?" Misty asked.

"No, you say it 'Loo-cheh', not 'Loose'" Brock gently corrected Misty. "It's Italian for 'light' and very appropriate for what Mareep ultimately becomes.

Mary, meanwhile, led Luce and Ash back inside the house. "Keep practicing your magic, okay?"

Ash sighed--his use of his Heart Song wasn't technically magic, but to a young girl like Mary, it likely was. "I'll take good care of Luce, and I'll have a bunch of new spells to show you next time!" he grinned, playing along.

To Be Continued...

@Charles Legend;

Episode 25: Pokemon by the Numbers

"It's so peaceful here..." Misty sighed as the group made their way to a forest. "Better than a Mightyena attack at midnight during a storm..."

"I'll say..." Ash agreed, still shuddering at a memory of what had happened a few nights before.

Brock was about to reassure his jittery comrades when a flash of red got his attention. "What was that?" he asked, seconds before he saw what the red blur was: a large red mantis-like Pokemon that appeared to be made of steel.

He nervously reached for his bow and nocked an arrow. "Why would you use an arrow against steel?" Ash wondered as he watched Brock prepare his shot.

"I have no intention of firing--that would anger this Pokemon." Brock explained. "This is meant to warn our visitor away."

He cautioned "If you don't know how to approach an opponent, don't just blindly rush in--as your first move could be your last."

"Stand down, young archer--my Scizor means no harm." a man in a neatly pressed suit began as he joined the mantis Pokemon.

"Our apologies, sir-we thought your Scizor was a wild Pokemon." Brock replied as he stood down.

"He's not--his name is Date, short for Date Masamune, after the famed katana maker and warrior." the man replied.

"But why would you let such a dangerous Pokemon run loose and attack at will?" Misty asked.

"We were only trying to do some secret training in the woods, and nothing more, miss." the man explained. "We already made short work of some troublemakers in the forest--a boy and a girl in R labeled attire with a Meowth that spoke the words of humans."

Team Rocket... Ash winced when he heard the descriptions of the opponents the man and his Scizor had defeated.

"Secret training, huh?" Misty grumbled. "What was so secret about it? How do we know you're not a Team Rocket goon yourself? Cause if you're out to get my friend's Pikachu, you're in for a world of pain! No, more than pain! You're gonna--!"

A whistle got her attention. "Let it go, Misty--this guy doesn't look like a Team Rocket lackey to me." Brock assured Misty.

"I am not even affiliated with those rogues." the man assured the group. "My name is Muramasa, and you've already met my partner, Date."

Ash, meanwhile, fished out his Pokedex to learn about the majestic steel mantis:

"Scizor, the pincer Pokemon. This Pokemon's pincers, which contain steel, can crush any hard object it gets a hold of into bits."

"Wow!" he gasped. "I'll bet he could even crush a diamond if he wanted to!"

Muramasa chuckled. "Judging from how your friend ranted before, you and your Pikachu must be very close."

"Oh yes...we went all the way to the Indigo League together, even if we started out on rough terms." Ash replied.

"Really now?" Muramasa was impressed. "In that case, I believe you are just the trainer I have been looking for!"

He motioned for the group to follow him. "Follow me--Date will clear the brush for you."

---------

"Wow..." the group gasped as they arrived in a large clearing in the forest, where a large skyscaper-like building towered over even the trees.

"What is this place?" Misty asked.

"Welcome to the Silverleaf Trainer's Academy." Muramasa smiled. "Trainers from all over the world come here to train themselves and their Pokémon."

"So...mind if we take a tour?" Misty asked, which got some of the students' attention as they arrived outside for lunch.

"Principal Muramasa is a very talented trainer." a girl smiled as she spread out a picnic blanket on the grass and secured it with some rocks as some of her friends arrived.

"Yeah, his Scizor Date is also known as 'The Crimson Streak' because of his incredible speed and strength." a boy agreed as he settled before the blanket and opened his lunch box.

"Or at least, he used to be." another male voice interjected, bringing the conversation to a standstill as the crowd of students looked over at a dull purple haired boy in a red and black shirt reading a book at a picnic table.

"Who's that?" Ash wondered.

"This is Shingo, the school's top student." Muramasa began as he led the group over to the table. "Why don't you ask him for a friendly match?"

"No need." Shingo replied as he opened a silver laptop and started typing something.

Brock balked at the futuristic logo on the laptop's top. "Whoa...that's a PSUS Zenbook! One of the nicest laptops available for students!"

"Here we go..." Shingo mused as he studied the profile, then turned the laptop to allow Ash to see his own trainer profile! "This is why a battle is not needed--I have information on every trainer in the world here at my fingertips."

He turned his attention to Ash's profile. "As for you, Ashton Grant Ketchum...you are a type C trainer--not the worst of the worst, but still have a ways to go. You prefer to use standard attacks, and rely on your Pokémon's power to win for you. You are also prone to making rash decisions and relying on hunches."

"I wouldn't say Ash has made rash decisions..." Misty protested.

"I'll admit he doesn't think things through sometimes, but Ash knows more than people think he does." Brock agreed. "Sometimes those risky decisions have paid off big."

"You sure you're up to the latest version? I'm a way better trainer than I was before!" Ash protested.

"Really?" Shingo smirked. "You were lucky to get into the top 16 in the Indigo Plateau Conference!"

Ash growled in frustration. "Well if I'm as bad as you say I am, then why don't you battle me to confirm your findings?"

"You have a 85.9% chance of losing anyway." Shingo smirked. "So there's no point in battling."

He cleared away Ash's profile and showed a comparison graph between a Pikachu and a Scizor. "The numbers don't lie--my Scizor has the advantage in every stat except for Special Attack and Speed, and gives 2 EVs in Attack, rather than the two EVs in Speed your Pikachu would give that he doesn't need...that, and he has the max DV's of 15..."

"So...many...acronyms..." Misty groaned at all the technical jargon.

"The only EV I know about is a cute brown Pokemon that can evolve many different ways." Brock agreed.

"I don't care about all that technobabble that predicts I'll lose! I STILL want to battle!" Ash snapped.

"Good luck, man--Shingo told everyone here the same thing, and he beat them all." a boy sighed as Shingo gathered his gear in a huff and departed.

"Shingo hasn't battled in over a year because he believes he can predict any battle with his database of Pokemon and trainers." Muramasa explained. "Many of us agree that Shingo has lost his way, and needs someone to battle him to show him that there is more to Pokémon than just facts, figures, EVs, DVs, IVs, RVs, and TVs."

"I'll find some way to battle Shingo--don't worry!" Ash grinned. "I'll show him that while the numbers may not lie, they're only part of the puzzle!"

"Yeah--you need love, trust, and confidence, too!" Misty agreed.

"You will?" Muramasa smiled. "Thank you--and if you do manage to beat him, I'll give you a personal tour of the school!"

Brock offered a hand to Muramasa. "You've got yourself a deal."

Meanwhile, Kamon watched from a bush as Brock and Muramasa shook hands. A database of every trainer in the world? Maybe now I can learn Wonderboy's secret!

To Be Continued...

Last edited:
@Charles Legend;

Episode 26: A Simulation of Battle

There he is, still typing away in that database... Ash thought as he spotted Shingo typing away in a lounge.

He waited a moment for the other people present to clear out, then approached Shingo. "My offer to battle still stands, you know."

"There's no need...I can win a match without leaving my laptop." Shingo calmly replied.

"Errgh...if you don't wanna battle willingly, I'm gonna have to drag you to an arena." Ash grumbled as he tried his best to drag Shingo away towards a hallway leading to an arena entrance.

With Ash occupied, Kamon saw his chance when he saw Shingo's laptop unattended. Wow...a PSUS Zenbook...that's pretty hot stuff.

He smirked as he retrieved a USB cable from one pocket of his bag. I hope its owner doesn't mind me "borrowing" his database...

But when he tried to connect the cable to the USB port, he discovered that the plug was too large. So much for downloading it directly... he sighed as he settled in a chair, rubbing his finger on the touchpad in hopes it would bring the laptop out of screensaver mode.

Please enter password to exit screensaver. came a prompt, making Kamon balk. Password? I didn't know you could password protect screensavers...

"Okay...let's do a little brute force hacking here--probably has some stupidly easy password." he mused as he typed "letmein"

He balked when he saw Incorrect password. "Okay, let's just try another one..." He tried "mankey".

Incorrect password. Not one to be deterred, Kamon tried "dragonite"

Incorrect password. came the prompt.

"Hey! Quit trying to get into my data!" Shingo's voice startled Kamon.

"Relax, calm down...I just wanted to borrow it for my own research." Kamon smugly replied as he got up from the table.

"Well, you could've asked nicely instead of trying to hack into my research!" Shingo shot back. "That database of trainers is my crown jewel!"

Kamon was unfazed. "All this over trainer data? It's just a bunch of zeroes and ones."

"But my research is not meaningless!" Shingo protested. "I will fight to protect this database!"

"Bring it on, tech geek!" Kamon smirked as he summoned Spike, Ash looking on from a couch all the while.

Shingo grabbed a Poké Ball. "Blade, come show this hacker who's boss!" he called as he heaved the Poke Ball to the ground, revealing a Scizor of his own in the room.

"Nice, a Scizor..." Kamon had to smile in awe over the red steel mantis before him.

"Not just any Scizor--Blade is faster and stronger than Principal Muramasa's Scizor Date, and he has never lost in battle!" Shingo retorted.

"Really? Try me..." Kamon sighed as Shingo returned to his waiting laptop and entered the correct password to bring it out of screensaver mode.

Next, he entered the relevant data in his match simulator. Suggested move: Quick Attack. came the prompt.

"Okay, Blade...use Quick Attack!" Shingo commanded.

Kamon watched in horror as Spike went flying across the room and crashed into a wall. "Whoa...not bad, I'll admit." he began as he hurried to tend to Spike, who had Torchics spinning around his head.

Some applause got Ash's and Shingo's attention. "Wow! I'm amazed I managed to see you battle again!" Muramasa raved as Kamon departed from the room.

"I just did what I had to do to save my data." Shingo smiled.

"Well, there's more to battling than winning, and data can't predict everything." Ash cautioned as he got up from the couch he had been watching from. "So, how bout it? Will you battle me now?"

Shingo nodded. "All right--we'll see if your claims have any merit or not."

---------

"Representing the Gold side, Shingo and Blade!" Brock announced. Blade just flexed his claws as Shingo readied his simulator. "...and representing the Silver side, Ash and River!" He made a grand gesture to Ash and his Marill on the Silver side of the arena."

[I'm not scared of you!] River taunted.

"Are both sides ready?" Brock asked.

Ash and River cheered in reply. "Simulation loaded and ready to go." Shingo grinned.

"And three...two...one..." Brock's whistle then rang through the arena.

"Blade, use Quick Attack!" Shingo called.

"River, try lowering Blade's defense with Tail Whip!" Ash called.

[HA--!] River tried to lash at the oncoming red streak running at her, but Blade's impact sent her flying against the safety barrier. [Ow...] she groaned as she slid off the barrier and landed at Ash's feet.

"River!" Misty gasped.

[You can't give up!] Misty's Marill Ami agreed. [Show Geek Boy battling isn't all zeroes and ones!]

Shingo smirked as River struggled to get up. "Blade, use Metal Claw!"

[Wha...] River gasped as she felt Blade pick her up in his claws. [Oh no...]

Ash realized what was about to happen. "River, whatever you do, don't let Blade throw you!"

He heaved a sigh of relief as River managed to wriggle free and get back on the ground. [Don't worry, Ash--I've got Cybug here under control.] she smiled,

With that, she took a deep breath and unleashed a Water Gun, sending Blade flying towards the Gold safety barrier.

"Wha...how was this supposed to happen?" Shingo gasped, stunned at the turn of events.

"I don't need any techno-wizardry to predict anything--I use my instincts to choose attacks." Ash explained. "Sometimes, they're right, and sometimes, they're wrong, but I can use the outcome to plan my next move."

He then called to River "Use Play Rough!"

[HAIIIIIIIII-YAH!] River barreled at Blade in an attempt to drag him to the ground, but couldn't hit Blade, who had used Agility.

She lunged again and again at the red blur in the arena, but no matter which direction she tried to attack from, Blade would run in a different direction. [Whoa...this guy's way too fast for me.] she groaned as she tried to keep up with her opponent. [I'm getting dizzy trying to follow him!]

"Calm down River...relax." Ash assured the Marill before him. "Rather than trying to catch Blade, let Blade come to you."

River nodded, and closed her eyes. [Let Blade come to me...let Blade come to me...]

Over on the Gold side, Shingo was panicking at Blade racing at the Marill, and the Marill calmly waiting to intercept Blade. Wait...I can't look at the laptop and the battle at the same time.

About then, River suddenly opened her eyes. I gotcha now, Blade!

"River, use Superpower!" Ash commanded.

[HAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!] River cried as she dashed forward, her body surrounded in a light blue aura. Blade tried to use Metal Claw, but River proved and knocked Blade in the air with a PLING!

"Blade!" Shingo gasped as Blade landed near the worktable he was sitting at.

Blade had just stood up, when the glowing River used Superpower again, sending Blade flying to the other end of the arena.

"Whoa...I can't believe River's speed!" Shingo gasped as he closed up the laptop. Here goes...I have to call the shots myself now--the simulation is in shambles!

"Blade, use Quick Attack!" he called.

"River, try to Tackle Blade, and intercept his attack!" Ash called.

The arena fell silent when they saw that both Pokémon had missed. After a few moments to collect herself, River saw Blade approaching with a Metal Claw, and jumped out of the way as Blade sped past her.

"Blade, use False Swipe!" Shingo called.

"Come on, River! Stand your ground!" Ash called.

He watched as Blade flew into the air, then flew down towards the Marill bracing itself on the Silver side. Blade raised his pincers into the air, then slammed them onto where the Marill stood.

But when the dust cleared, River still stood--battered and beaten, but still in the fight!

"Okay! River, you have permission to Play Rough!" Ash called.

River ran at Blade and proceeded to drag him across the floor, complete with a drop kick across the arena.

Ash grinned as Brock's whistle signaled the end of the match. "Gold is unable to battle." Brock announced. "Silver wins!"

"Well...what are you going to do with your laptop, now that your database has been bested?" Muramasa asked as he approached Shingo.

"I don't need it for battling anymore--I'll just use it for organizing my class notes, writing papers, and the occasional MMO." Shingo smiled.

He looked over at Blade. "Well done, Blade...you did well, even though we lost." Blade weakly purred in reply, as if thanking his master.

Ash hugged River. "Thank you, Shingo...you did a brave thing by calling some shots on your own."

"I think I get what you mean when you say you battle by your instincts." Shingo replied. "After I get a chance to practice that, we should battle again the next time you come. I clearly have a lot to learn."

"I'll hold you to that, then." Ash grinned as he and Shingo shook hands. "Until then, study hard, and keep practicing battling by instinct!"

"I will!" Shingo smiled, waving goodbye as Ash rejoined Misty and Brock for their well deserved tour of the school....

To Be Continued...

@Charles Legend;

Episode 27: Good Quill Ambassadors

"Well, once again, we're lost..." Ash sighed as he led Misty and Brock through yet another forest.

"And this is how many forests we've gotten lost in on our way to Azalea Town?" Misty asked, a note of frustration in her voice.

"There has to be a misprint on the map somewhere..." Brock mused as he turned the map upside down, and then sideways. If there IS a misprint, either I'm not looking hard enough, or it's in a very obscure place."

"Silly! All we need to do is keep going through the forest until we reach the road again." Ash grinned, pleased with himself.

"Understatement of the year." Misty deadpanned as the group emerged from the forest onto a path lined with high cliffs.

Just then, a boy with purple hair approached them. "Excuse me, but have you guys seen any Cyndaquil around?"

"Cyndaquil?" Ash gasped, excited about welcoming a new fire Pokemon to the team. "Where? Where?"

"Ash, wait!" Misty started to protest as Ash dashed off towards some bushes. Here we go again...

She was snapped back to reality when she heard the purple haired boy call "Whatever you do, leave any Cyndaquil you find alone--some red haired punk caught one, and I shudder to know how he's treating it!"

"Now wait a minute!" Misty protested. "You can't tell Ash to leave them alone and horde all the Cyndaquils for yourself!"

"Yeah--if Ash finds one, he has every right to catch it." Brock agreed, unaware Ash had disappeared into the brush with Tintri.

---------

Meanwhile, Kamon watched Brock and Misty argue with the purple haired boy from a bush on top of a rock. There they are--I've got Wonderboy and pals right where I want them! he grinned before moving out to the edge of the rock in preparation to jump down and ambush the group.

After a few tense moments, he leaped from the rock, making Brock, Misty, and the boy gasp when he landed before them with the grace and agility of a Meowth.

"Weird...where's Wonderboy and Wonder-chu?" Kamon asked as he brushed the dust from his clothing.

Just then, a flash of red and white in the brush got Kamon's attention. "Never mind, I found him!"

He heaved a Poke Ball skyward. "Helena, go give Wonderboy the scare of his life!"

A ghostly spirit Pokemon emerged from the Poke Ball, and flew off after Ash. Misty just swallowed hard as the spirit Pokemon flew off through the forest underbrush. Ash...please be careful...

---------

In the forest, Ash yelped in surprise as Helena appeared before him and Tintri. [I've gotcha, Ash!] Tintri called as he leaped towards the Gastly and fired a massive Thunderbolt.

He shuddered when he saw his attack had not fazed the ghostly Pokemon. [Oh no...] he started as Helena started charging a large ball of ominous purple energy. [Shadow Ball!]

"Jump!" Ash called to Tintri, prompting them both to make a running leap into a ditch, making the Shadow Ball miss completely. Once sure the ghostly attack had disappeared, Ash motioned for Tintri to follow him out of the ditch and up towards a network of caves in the rocks.

They wound their way through mossy rocks, a patch of wild mushrooms, gnarled tree roots, over a stream, and through a cave made out of a hollow tree, but it wasn't long before Ash managed to catch his breath. "Whew...we're safe here." he assured Tintri.

[I'll say...you run pretty fast for a human.] Tintri wheezed.

Ash smiled. "Came in the top five fastest times running a mile in gym class when I was little...but I don't think that Gastly will find us in here..."

[Forgetting something, Wonderboy?] Helena asked as she warped inside the hollow. [Solid walls are no match for me!]

"Run for it!" Ash called as he and Tintri scrambled out of the hollow to avoid another Shadow Ball, tripping over a tree root on the way.

After dashing through the forest some more, Ash and Tintri emerged from the underbrush to find a series of small caves along a wall of rock. [Where are we?] Tintri asked. [Did we lose the Gastly?]

"I think so..." Ash nervously replied before a familiar tiny porcupine-like Pokemon popped out of one of the caves. Piqued, he fished out his Pokedex to read up on the tiny Pokemon:

"Cyndaquil, the fire mouse Pokemon. The fire that spouts from its back burns hottest when it is angry. The flaring flames intimidate foes."

A voice calling "Mica, use Sand Attack!" snapped him back to reality. "Gah!" he cried as sand flew into his face, sending him tumbling back to the ground.

The Cyndaquil, however ran back into the cave it came from, with the purple haired boy in hot pursuit. [Follow that boy!] Tintri called as Ash rubbed the sand from his eyes and eased himself to his feet.

"Hold it, Wonderboy!" Kamon called as he arrived with Helena, just as Ash was checking himself over for injuries.

"Sorry, I haven't got time for you guys!" Ash replied before dashing off after the boy and the Cyndaquil.

"Hey, I wasn't done talking to you!" Kamon yelled, but Ash and Tintri were already gone.

---------

Ash balked when he saw several small holes inside the second cave. "Okay...where could the Cyndaquil have gotten to..." he mused as he checked each hole, only to find pebbles, twigs, and leaves in each one.

A flash of red got his attention, but before he could run after it, a sharp claw sent him falling backwards.

[Shadow Ball incoming!] Tintri called as Ash hurried to get up.

Ash gasped when he saw the purple energy ball, and dove into an alcove, making it fizzle out on the stone floor. As he caught his breath, he saw that the purple haired boy had the Cyndaquil up against a wall, trying to battle it. I can't hide in the shadows while an innocent Pokemon gets hurt... he thought as he watched the Sandslash use Poison Sting from the safety of the alcove. I've gotta do something!

After summoning all the courage he had, Ash leaped from the alcove and grabbed the frightened Cyndaquil seconds before the Poison Sting landed, making sure to roll to avoid another Shadow Ball on the way.

The Shadow Ball's energy was enough to send Ash and Tintri flying out of the cave. "I knew I'd corner you here sooner or later..." Kamon sneered as he and his Gastly approached Ash. "You've got a lot of questions to answer for me...."

Just then, Ash realized he still had the Cyndaquil in his arms! After checking its gender, he set it down on the ground. "I wish we could visit some more, but you need to run before things get bad."

[No--you saved me, and now it's my turn to save you!] the Cyndaquil replied.

With that, she heaved a huge stream of fire at Kamon's Gastly. "No!" Ash cried, heaving a Poke Ball into the stream of fire, in a desperate attempt to save the little Pokemon.

"Ash!" Brock called as he and Misty arrived on the path near the cave, where Ash was struggling to get up. "You okay?"

"Yeah..." Ash replied as Misty looked him over for injuries. "But...I caught this Cyndaquil..."

Just then, the purple haired boy came out of the cave. "Hey! I wanted that Cyndaquil--I demand a duel to see who gets Cyndaquil!"

"Well, Ash already caught Cyndaquil fair and square." Brock replied. "There's plenty of other Cyndaquils here..."

"I accept the challenge." Ash replied as Misty finished bandaging the scrapes and scratches he had sustained on the wild chase. "I'll even use my new Cyndaquil--her name is Cyndy!"

"Cyndy?" Misty winced at the seemingly cheesy name Ash had chosen. "Really?"

"She belongs to Ash, and he can name her whatever he wants." Brock reminded Misty as he retrieved his whistle and hurried to referee the impending battle.

---------

The sound of a referee's whistle echoed through the caves, signaling that the match between the Sandslash Mica and Cyndy was underway. From the right side of the Poke Ball, Ash watched in awe as Cyndy dodged all of Mica's attacks. "Wow! Not only is Cyndy strong offensively, but defensively too!"

He gasped as he watched Mica heave a flurry of shining stars at Cyndy. "Cyndy! Counter with Flamethrower!"

[Waaaaa!] Cyndy cried as the shining stars knocked her back into a tree. She quickly darted away as Mica charged at her in an attempt to Tackle her, but ended up getting stuck in the tree's trunk. Cyndy looked up at Ash with a smile, then blew out a small Ember, burning Mica, and making him faint.

"Gold is unable to battle--Silver wins!" Brock announced, making Ash and Cyndy cheer.

Ash saw his opponent grab a bug net. "If you won't willingly give the Cyndaquil to me, I'll just take her from you!"

Brock just blew his whistle again. "Silver won, fair and square--now, shake hands."

Cyndy flared her quills at the boy. [I WANT to be with Ash, you jerk!] she screeched as she let out an impressive Flamethrower, sending the boy and his Sandslash tearing down the path with burning feet.

"Talk about the old hot foot..." Misty grinned.

Ash gently hugged Cyndy. "Welcome aboard, Cyndy! Our road to glory burns white hot!"

To Be Continued...

@Charles Legend

Episode 28: Familiar Foes and Water Woes

"Boy, it's hot today..." Ash groaned as he wiped the sweat from his brow.

[Tell me about it...] Tintri agreed. [Is there a Fire type close by, or something?]

"I wouldn't say there's a Fire type in the area, but I will tell you that the plants by the roadside are all drying up because of this heat." Brock explained, gesturing to some wilting flowers by the side of the road.

Ash slumped to the ground. "What I would give for some air conditioning or a swimming pool right now..."

"Well, a swimming pool can't necessarily fit in a bag, but I do have the next best thing!" Misty grinned as she brandished a Poke Ball.

She heaved the Poke Ball skyward. "Pearl, come on out and help us beat the heat!"

[Oh my...it is hot today...] Pearl noted. [Perhaps I can be of service and cool you guys?]

Misty nodded "Fire a Water Gun into the air and make a fountain for us to splash in!"

She smiled at the relieved looks on the boys' faces. "I hope you packed your swim trunks, guys!"

"That's fine--water will dry off anyway." Brock replied as he watched the Starmie fire a stream of water into the sky. "That, and I don't really see a place to change into bathing suits and swim trunks.

He looked over at Pearl spraying water. "While that is a good start to a makeshift sprinkler, we're gonna need more water than that..."

"Not a problem!" Ash smiled before heaving a Poke Ball to the ground. "River, come on out and cool us all off!"

[You called?] River smiled as she materialized on the road. [Wow...the ground's all cracked and hot!] she gasped when she noticed the warm ground and cracks forming on the road due to the heat.

"This is where you come in...I want you to make the biggest water spray you can to help Pearl create a sprinkler for us to play in." Ash explained.

[Okay!] River wasted no time in making a large water spray to help Pearl.

The group wasted no time in kicking off their socks and shoes and hurrying to play in their "fountain". "Yee-ha!" Ash cried as he dove head first into the cool water...

---------

Meanwhile, on a different stretch of the roadway, three familiar hoodlums--a fuchsia haired girl, a lavender haired boy, and a small cat Pokemon with pale yellow fur trudged along the road. ""It's the end, I tell you!" the boy cries in frustration. "We're lost, fried in a scorching sun!"

"Well, if you're so thirsty, Meowth has the water bottle." the girl sighs--she has had to endure her partner complaining the whole way.

"Okay, who needs watta more?" the Meowth asks. "Last time we took a watta break, Jessie needed it, and judgin' from how James has been complainin' dis whole time, I tink it's his toin."

"Gimme that!" James eagerly dashed up and snatched the water bottle from the tiny cat Pokemon's paws--only to find that the bottle was barely a fourth of the way full! "Meowth! This was supposed to last until we got to town! If I drink this, then what will Jessie have when she inevitably gets thirsty?"

"And if I drink it, then James will only be complaining for the next two hours!" Jessie grumbled.

"I'm a livin' bein too, yanno--so I need watta too." Meowth reminded his two human companions. "So if yanno of a well, or a grocery store anywhere..."

Jessie then spotted a well not far from the trio's current position. "Hold that thought, I see a well!"

"Follow me!" The three Rockets dashed over to the elegant looking well with Slowpoke designs in its base, eager for a drink of water.

Jessie wasted no time in hoisting up the bucket--only to find sand inside instead of water! "Any more bright ideas?" she grumbled as she lowered the bucket back into the well.

"We could try dousing rods..." James suggested.

"But then we'd have to dig for the water, and that would be too much trouble in the heat!" Jessie reminded him. "There's a reason the weatherman tells you to limit strenuous activity when it's hot!"

"You're forgettin' we have the Diglitank here..." Meowth grinned as he pressed a button on a small remote, making a giant machine that looked like a cross between a tank and a Diglett emerge from a nearby rock.

Jessie smiled. "Meowth, you're a genius! Who needs shovels and picks when we can cover a whole lot of ground at once?"

All three Rockets giddily climbed aboard, and created a large hole in the road as the tank burrowed underground.

For a while, there was nothing interesting to see in the tunnel as the tank burrowed through the earth. But after about an hour, the Rockets emerged into a large underground cave. "Wow..." Jessie asked, amazed over the crystals that formed in the cave.

"Wait a minnit..." Meowth mused as he stopped the tank. "Where dere's crystals...dere has ta be..."

"WATER!!!!" the Rockets cried as they scrambled out of the tank, and hurried towards a huge sparkling pool of water. But they stopped in their tracks when they found themselves surrounded by hundreds of large pink creatures with curled ears and vacant expressions on their faces.

Meowth noticed a sign near where his companions were standing. "Dis is Slowpoke Well--da story goes dat Slowpoke have da power ta make it rain when dey yawn."

He sighed. "Who believes dose kinds of fairy tales, anyway?"

"But what if it's true, Meowth?" Jessie gasped, excited.

"We could capture the Slowpoke and get rich by charging the townspeople to have them make it rain!" James suggested. The Rockets giggled with excitement as they retreated to the tank to discuss the particulars of their latest plot.

---------

"Welcome to Azalea Town...where people and Pokémon live in happy harmony." Brock read as the group approached a wooded area near some mountains, where they could see rooftops and buildings in the distance.

"Finally!" Ash smiled as the group made their way into town. "I am SO ready for my second badge!"

"What's the hurry? I kinda want to see the sights." Misty suggested as she pulled Ash back. "Like this Kurt guy, who makes his own Poke Balls, for a small fee."

"Besides, the Gym is closed because of the drought." Brock agreed, showing Ash a sign on the path leading to the Gym that said "NO CHALLENGES TODAY DUE TO DROUGHT." "So I think it'd be fun to watch a Poke Ball maker at work."

"Okay..." Ash sighed in defeat.

Misty, meanwhile, noticed that all the signs depicted Slowpokes, people openly dressed up as Slowpokes, Slowpoke dolls and trinkets were in all the shops, and a music store had a book open to the tune "The Slowpoke's Yawn". "There's Slowpoke stuff everywhere..."

"Not to mention Slowpokes themselves..." Brock noted as he observed Slowpokes lying in the road. Some stared into the distance, others were curled up, asleep, and a few would begrudgingly get up to allow a person to pass before plopping back on the path again.

"Is this place a shrine to Slowpoke or someth--!" A low pitched howl suddenly got Ash's attention. When he looked down to see what he had stepped on, he saw a Slowpoke with a pained look on its face. "Uh, sorry, big guy." he apologized.

"How dare you step on one of our Slowpokes' tails?" a woman gasped.

"It was an accident, I didn't know!" Ash pleaded as more angry townsfolk, including the woman, approached the group. "We only arrived in town today!"

"That doesn't matter!" a man retorted. "Locals and visitors alike are supposed to respect the Slowpokes, and you will pay the price for causing one pain!"

"No time to ask questions, we need to go!" With that, Brock led the others into the main district, being careful not to step on any more Slowpoke tails as they rushed to avoid the angry mob.

After weaving past shops, nearly snarling traffic, and ducking down a sidepath, Misty noticed that the group had arrived in a park. "I think we lost them..."

"Talk about an overreaction...." Ash grumbled--he had not expected an angry mob to chase them for merely stepping on a Slowpoke tail. "I apologized and everything!"

"That won't be enough, travelers..." an older man in a Slowpoke costume cautioned. "For now, just put these on and lie very still." he instructed as he gave the group three Slowpoke costumes.

Ash sighed as he heard the rumble and shouts of the approaching crowd. "I guess we have no choice, guys..."

When the crowd arrived in the park a few moments later, they came to a screeching halt when they saw four Slowpokes lounging by the fountain--one was playing with a Pikachu, one was sprawled over the fountain, and one was observing a Vulpix, in addition to one staring at the sky.

Minutes seemed to tick by like hours as Ash--inside the Slowpoke costume--would periodically bat at Tintri to keep up the ruse. Geez, I'm hot...

"Okay, the coast is clear!" he heard their rescuer say.

Misty was first to remove her costume head. "How do you even stand being in one of these on a day like today?" she asked as she got up from the fountain.

"I'll say--these feel like a sauna!" Ash agreed as he got up and started removing the sweat drenched costume.

Brock, meanwhile, was the farthest along at getting out of the costume. "If you don't mind my asking, sir, why are the Slowpoke so important?" he asked as Hinata brought him his story notebook. "I'm an amateur storyteller competing in the Lore Stage, and the tale might make some good material."

"I see--the clouds and red stripe on your vest made that clear." the man grinned.

Once Brock had a pen to write with, the man began "Long ago, there was a drought just like this in Azalea Town. One day a Slowpoke came to the town, and the people wondered who it belonged to--or if it was a wild one. One day, when it yawned, it started to rain, and the town was saved. Since then, Slowpoke have been treated with the deepest respect."

"No wonder the townsfolk got so mad at Ash stepping on one..." Misty mused as Brock finished copying down the bones of the man's story.

Suddenly, something dawned on the man. "Oh, look at the time! I just remembered the errand I had to do today!"

"Who was our rescuer?" Misty wondered as the man dashed away, still in costume.

"I don't know, but we need to thank him later for saving our skins." Brock smiled as he pocketed his story notebook, with his pen neatly clipped to the cover. "For now, let's go see Kurt."

To Be Continued...

I apologize for not replying sooner, don't get me wrong I do greatly enjoy reading this story, however partly the reason I have not said very much is that I been working on my own story. Anyways keep up the good work.

I was beginning to get worried for a moment--I'll still continue tagging you when new episodes go up--so if you didn't understand something, have a question about the story, or want to tell me what you liked or what I could do better, please tell me

@Charles Legend;

Episode 29: Blame It on the Rain

As the group arrived in a small forested area, where a modest house stood, a brown haired girl ran to meet them. "Are you looking for someone?" she asked.

"We're looking for someone named Kurt...do you know where he is?" Misty asked.

The girl smiled. "Yeah--Kurt's my grandad! He came home in a hurry just a little while ago, but when I has him what was wrong, he said something terrible happened at Slowpoke Well, and was going there to find out what that something terrible was. I hope he's okay..."

"We'll go help your grandad, okay?" Ash offered.

"You will?" Thanks!" the girl smiled. She waved goodbye as the group departed.

After retracing their steps back to the well, Ash led the way underground, with Brock not far behind. "Remember, stay together, as appealing as splitting up may sound." Brock cautioned as the three friends carefully climbed below the ground into the crystalline cave.

"Is someone there?" a familiar voice groaned in the distance. "I need help..."

Misty recognized a prone pink form on the ground. "Our rescuer from before!"

Ash hurried over to the man's side. "Hey...as thanks for helping us before, we want to help you in return." he assured the man.

"Can you tell us what happened here?" Misty asked as Brock examined the costumed man for injuries.

"I saw two hoodlums in a tank-like machine chasing the Slowpoke, laughing with glee as the sharp points cut their tails." the man weakly explained. "I yelled at them to stop, but they fancied me a large Slowpoke, and chased after me. Try as I might to get away, I tripped on a rock and hurt my back...and here I am."

"You guys go on ahead, I'll take care of our friend here." Brock began as he retrieved some medicine from his bag.

"Got it!" Misty replied as she and Ash hurried off into the deeper reaches of the cave.

---------

Great--Team Rocket's followed me here to Johto to cause even more trouble! Ash grumbled to himself as he followed Misty through the glittering cave. They likely won't rest until they have Tintri, but they're not gonna get him! I would gladly give my life for him if I had to, but he doesn't deserve to be the pet of a gang of criminals!

When he and Misty arrived in the largest room of the gave, he balked when he saw Team Rocket capturing more Slowpoke with nets. "Okay, Team Rocket! If you're gonna cut the Slowpoke tails, you're gonna have to answer to me!"

[Yeah!] Tintri agreed.

"You realize that the floor of the cave is wet, twerp?" James shot back. "So any electric attacks will shock the Slowpoke too."

"Then I'll just fight water with water!" Ash retorted before heaving a Poke Ball skyward. "River, I choose you!"

[Leave it to me!] River smiled as she emerged in a flash of light. [I may not look it, but I can lift heavy things like this tank!]

With that, she nimbly hoisted the tank in her paws, and heaved it into the air, Team Rocket screaming all the while. [Whoa--you weren't kidding when you said you could lift heavy stuff!] Tintri gasped in amazement.

A hiss of an approaching missile snapped him to attention. [River! Watch out!]

[AUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!] River screamed as the missile sent her flying across the cave, landing at Ash's feet. [Ash...I'm sorry...] was all she could say before she fainted.

The whir of the tank moving got Misty's attention. "There! They're trying to escape by digging a tunnel into the floor!" she called, pointing out the tank attempting to drill through the floor.

Just then, Brock arrived. "I have our rescuer stabilized--did I miss anything?"

"Team Rocket knocked River out with a missile, and now they're digging a hole in the floor." Misty reported. "We have to hold them off somehow."

Ash watched, bemused, as the remaining Slowpoke all stood up and began to walk out of the cave. "Weird...where are the Slowpoke going?"

"Let's follow them and see!" Brock led the way outside, making sure not to lose the Slowpokes in the winding tunnels.

They emerged on the edge of the cliff that surrounded the well, where all the Slowpokes were gathering. Once all the Slowpokes had arrived, they started yawning, which made the sky cloud up!

"By Arceus...it's raining!" Misty gasped as sure enough, rain began falling.

"It's coming down hard--let's get up on the well's roof." Brock suggested before helping the man up first, then climbing up himself. Ash followed Brock, and Misty brought up the rear.

From their position atop the roof, the group watched as water poured into the cave and down into the tunnel that Team Rocket had attempted to dig. After a few tense moments, the tank was washed out of the tunnel, cracked in two.

Ash grinned as he saw Team Rocket crawl out of the wrecked tank. "Fire when ready, pardner."

[AI-YAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!] Tintri screeched as he unleashed a Thunder attack, which was made even more powerful by the rain.

"Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off AGAIN!!!!" the Rockets cried as the tank and its occupants went flying into the stormy skies with a ping.

Brock smiled, relieved that all was well again. "I wonder if there's any truth to the tale of the Slowpoke making it rain..."

"I'd like to think so." Ash smiled. "You've said it before--there's a grain of truth to every story."

"Your friend's right--the world is full of mysteries indeed." the man agreed. "Let's get back to town."

---------

Back in town, cheers filled the air as the river rushed by and the crops recovered. "...this young man and his friends have shown great character, and meant no harm to the Slowpokes before--they were travelers, and unaware of the rule against harming them." the man explained to the townsfolk. "Can you find it in your hearts to forgive an accident?"

"If they saved our town, we forgive them wholeheartedly!" the woman from before replied, to cheers from the crowd..

"How would you three like a tour of Azalea Town?" the man offered. "As thanks for your help."

"We'd love to, but we have to find Kurt--Ash was interested in seeing some of his handmade Poke Balls." Misty explained.

The group balked as the man removed his costume to reveal a dull teal kimono-like outfit. "I am Kurt, and he is me."

He smiled. "At the very least, I can give you some lodging at the house--I hope Maizie's all right..."

"She was worried about you--but at least now we can tell her you're okay!" Ash smiled, relieved that at least for now, all was well in the world.

To Be Continued...

@Charles Legend;

Interlude: Plans and Dreams

"I can't even begin to thank you after what you did for me back there..." Kurt smiled. It had been a few days since the drought in the Azalea Town had ended, and no one was more relieved than Ash. "But considering how i saved you from the angry townsfolk, I guess we're even."

He noticed Maizie looking up at him. "Would you mind telling me why the three of you travel?"

"I'm hoping to win the Johto League!" Ash confidently replied.

Kurt just smiled. "And I believe you will, with your brave Pokemon--I'm sure Bugsy would be happy to battle you."

"Bugsy?" Misty swallowed hard at the prospect of seeing bugs.

"Misty's a little leery around some kinds of bugs." Brock explained. "Pretty bugs, like Butterfree and Ledyba are okay, but anything that bites or stings and she will use you as a shield." Misty blushed a little at this.

Kurt just chuckled. "I'm sure she would be fine around Mariposa, Bugsy's Beautifly companion--he got her on an expedition to the Houen region."

"I see..." Ash mused before reading up on the exotic Pokemon:

"Beautifly, the butterfly Pokemon. Vibrantly patterned wings are its most prominent feature. It sucks sweet flower nectar with its long mouth."

"Wow!" Misty gasped, awed by the exotic Pokemon's colorful wings. "So pretty!"

"Remember 'Legendary Idol Kochou'? Brock reminded Misty. "And Niji the Beautifly?"

"One of my favorite TV shows!" Maizie raved before singing There's a melody playin', on the radio, there's a melody playin', soft and sweet and low, there's a melody playin', I don't know what to do....

There's a melody playin', and it makes me think of you! Ash joined in, to some laughter.

"Can't you do Kochou's voice?" Misty asked Ash.

"Yeah--but I have to warm up first, or else I'll crack." Ash confessed.

Misty decided to turn the conversation back to its initial topic. "I'm hoping to compete in a water Pokethlon."

"And I'm competing in the Pokemon Lore Stage." Brock explained, proudly showing off his cloud patches and red stripe.

"Where's all the other colors?" Maizie asked.

"I have to earn the other six by telling some good stories." Brock explains. "If you make a rainbow, you get to tell for the Pokemon League."

Maizie smiled. "I hope you all achieve your goals! I want you to win the League..." she told Ash. "...and I want you to be the best water Pokethlete..." she told Misty.

She looked over at Brock. "But I hope you make your rainbow, and tell your stories for the best trainers in the world!" Brock just blushed a little, flattered he had a fan.

"If you need to call anyone and update them on your progress, the phone is over there." Kurt began, pointing out a phone by the PC.

"Thanks!" Ash hurried to the phone and wasted no time in dialing Prof. Oak's number.

Misty and Brock joined Ash around the phone as it flashed "DIALING" on the screen. After a few tense moments, the image of Oak in his lab appeared on the screen. "Hello?"

"Hi, professor--we made it to Azalea Town." Ash began. "We're staying with this guy named Kurt."

"Really?" Prof. Oak was interested. "You picked a good person to stay with--Kurt makes a living making special Poké Balls using Apricorns."

"Apricorns?" Ash was interested.

Prof. Oak nodded. "Apricorns are special fruits that are native to the Johto region. They appear to be related to Berries, although more research is needed."

He smiled. "Maybe if you ask very nicely, he might make some for you all."

He then noticed the clock on the wall. "Oh my, look at the time! This week I'll find out if Kelly confesses her feelings to Nicholas or not! Gotta go!" With that, the call ended.

Misty sighed. "The professor loves his soap operas..."

"And woe betide the person that makes him miss a week." Brock agreed. "Never mind it's the same old plot recycled a million times over."

Ash meanwhile, found Kurt at his workbench. "Would you please make me and my friends some Poké Balls?"

"Sure!" Kurt replied. "You bring me some Apricorns from the groves, and I'll make you all the Poke Balls you want."

"I'll take our guests to see the Apricorn trees back behind the house, Grandad!" Maizie volunteered before motioning for the group to follow her to a forested area that was accessible from the back yard...

To Be Continued...

Right Pokémon Sun + thanksgiving, Anyways one thing I noticed is that while the chapters are good there really doesn't seem like a whole lot going on in each chapter, what I mean is it seems as all Ash and the gang does is talk, sorry I'm not trying to complain you see the last major pokémon fan fiction I read was heavy on the pokémon battles. However I will say that this retelling is arguably much better than the Animé, also did you drop the GS Ball?

Yes, I did delete the GS Ball, because the real show never did anything with it to begin with, and I couldn't think of any feasible way to incorporate it, so on the cutting floor it went

If you're itching for some action, I have a Team Rocket encounter and Ash's second Gym match coming up.

Ah I see, it's not that big of a deal, that's good to here, also is Brock going to catch a Pineco?

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom