• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Destruction (TEEN)

Chapter 8

The L-shaped hallway on the right-hand side of the guild led the rabbit out of the guildmistress' office, and back into the bright and sunny dome that was the guild's assembly hall. Breathing fresh forest air again was nice and all, but an annoying soreness behind her neck told her to ignore it. She stopped in place, rubbing that specific spot that bothered her for days with her right hand to see what's the problem. No matter how much she massaged it, it refused to go away as it lingered within the muscle. “Man,” she groaned, “that's the last time I'll ever sleep in an Inn for a while.”

“Mamma!” Two separate cries caught her low hanging ears- and soon after- she found two little creatures latching themselves onto both of her ankles. Being gone for a week, seeing the smiling faces of her Buneary and Riolu again uplifted Lopunny's spirit. “We missed you so much!” they told her. Good thing her little ones anchored her to the ground- she felt light enough to float away with the gentlest of breezes.

“Hey, guys,” she told them back, softly smirking, “How ya been?” She picked them up from her legs, and perched them both on her shoulders. Feeling them play with curled, fluffy, wool-like fur lining her ears was something that always brought a smile to her face. “I missed you both while I was gone, y'know that? Florges told me you guys became explorers- that's awesome!”

“Yeah, we did,” Oran told her in an eager tone. “Today, we fought a Graveler-!” he threw his arms out wide, as if holding a ball bigger than he, “he was so big, and mean! But me and Pecha came up with a plan to beat him- and we did-!”

“Actually, we teleported before the fight could be finished,” Pecha informed her.

Mamma Lopunny gave them a bright smile, and said, “sounds like you guys had quite the day.”

“What did you get to do, mamma?” Oran asked, with eyes shimmering and ears ready to listen.

“I'll tell you both, later-” catching something on the edge of her left eye, she spotted a wounded Scyther. Several cuts and deep purplish bruises were painted all across his body like a game of connect-the-dots, and his steps carried a heavy limp, as if he's more dragging his feet than walking. Even the blades he cares for constantly were nicked and cracked, and in desperate need of a resharpening. “Right now, I think I'm about as exhausted as he is.”

The mantis turned his head to the left, the sensors on his head catching someone saying his name. But seeing the Rabbit Pokémon again brought an even harsher tremble into his weak body; he needed to work on sneaking past her, better. He gave her a weak smile, “O-oh...h-hi, Lopunny. I guess you're back, huh?”

“Yeah,” she told him, “I guess I am back. What happened to you? You like like some Luxray's chew toy.”

He shrugged his stiff shoulders as best he could, trying to blow it off. “W-well, y'know, got attacked by a Graveler,” he said, while letting out a nervous chuckle. “He just sorta got me when I wasn't looking.”

Lopunny's grin grew wide, wanting to make him fell better with a joke, “I guess you could say- he rocked your world.”

In an instant, the mantis' thinly held together smile dissolved like a solvent underneath his heavy flow of tears. “Puns make the pain worse!” he cried out, limping away from the reunited family as he hunted down the infirmary.

She watched the Bug-type leave trails of tears, looking on with a face deciding whether or not it wanted to be regretful for telling the joke, or just indifferent. “I guess some people don't have a taste for puns,” she said to herself underneath her voice. But whatever ounce of guilt that tried to build up rushed out of her head with a quick shake, and she said to her children with a cheery voice, “You both should tell me more about your exploring back in my room-!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom's room- the same as it's always been. Despite each room in the guild looking the same as the last, her room had a more personal touch: where everyone slept on a pile of bedding, she had a makeshift bed of cloth from discarded cloaks she wore in the past, most of which became too torn to wear, but she refused to get rid of them. The “guild-issued” straw was useful as its filler.

Sitting cross-legged on the lengthy sac, her hip-length ears stayed open to the stories her children told her during her absence. The Quagsire; the giant Ariados; even the Graveler from earlier, they've told their mother about- most of the enthusiasm coming from Oran- Pecha filled in the blanks he excitedly forgot to address. “Huh,” she said, “That sounds pretty neat.” Placing her right hand on top of her daughter's head, petting her gently, she giggled, “I especially liked the one with that Quagsire- you're quite the charmer, Pecha! Maybe you'll grow up to be just like me!”

A luminescent blush brushed underneath her eyes as she shrugged her mother's hand off from her skull, looking away. “Whatever,” she mumbled.

“What did you do while you were gone, mama?” Oran asked.

The mother laid herself on her side, her head perched on top of her left paw. She grinned, and asked, “You really wanna know?”

“Of course,” he told her back, with no control over his wagging tail. “I wanna hear the cool things you did!”

What happened to her plan to sleep after getting back to the guild? For now, she put it on hold, wanting to see her son's reaction to her story, first. She gave an assuring smirk, and said, “All right, I'll tell ya.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She began her story: a little settlement off the edge of the Verde Forest, known as Naranja Town. After three days of cruising through the forest, she stepped foot into the community of orange huts. Lucky for her, the one place she came to visit was the one who broke the town's pattern: On The House Gummi Saloon. She took a good look at its rustic design, its brown, weathered wood refusing to conform to its surrounding town's single color. Their drinks better be good for the trouble of coming.

Swiveling the dual doors wide open, everyone's eyes glued to the Lopunny in a fluttering tan cloak. All of the rustic bar's walls were covered in thick streams of string, snuffing out the bar's sense of antiquity, or so it appeared to her. Four other Pokémon were present: a gang of three Beedrill, and the bartender, a Wigglytuff. Her glimmering silver badge froze everyone in silence while the wooden floors creaked under each of her steps, until she parked herself on one of the bar stools near the counter.

“W-welcome to On The House Gummi Saloon-!” the Wigglytuff welcomed her with a surprised smile, “it's on the house!”

Lopunny knew her smile wasn't genuine: her plump, pink marshmallow body trembled of exhaustion, after days of nonstop work; and her eyes, those round, crystal blue orbs reflected the pain her mouth couldn't speak of. She knew- on the inside- she's crying for help. “Do you have any red gummi juice?” Lopunny asked. “I traveled a long way to get here, and I'm feelin' parched.”

Wigglytuff tried spitting it out, “U-uhm, well, I-I don't know if I have any red ones left. But I can certainly check if I have any others left- just sit tight!” Running on the last bit of energy she had, she scavenged her emptied drawers and shelves, only coming up with a handful of light green gummis. “I-I only have green gummis left, ma'am,” she told her, “is that all right with you?”

Lopunny slumped into her left hand, “I suppose,” she told her. “It's a bummer you don't have any reds left- those are my favorite.”

As the sounds of a blender grinding the beans into juice whirred in the air, Team Bee Sting kept their eyes on the rabbit, analyzing her. If she had been any other Pokémon, they would have attacked her on sight- but she scared them. They felt it in her aura: her bloodlust, her taste for conquest, it almost came off as demonic to them. Whomever sent her didn't send any regular guild member after them- they sent a monster.

“Y.J., what should we do?” the male Beedrill asked his leader underneath a whisper. “She might be out of our league.”

The Beedrill took awhile to respond, her body shook while being absorbed by the mere shock of the rabbit's potential strength. Just by staring at her she felt powerless- like she was a Weedle, again, but with wings. “N-nonsense,” she told him while gaining some composure, her wispy voice shaking. “O-o-our instincts can pull our wings, sometimes. Y-yeah, that's it, it's all in our heads. Sh-she's just a Lopunny- how bad could she really be? We can take her.”

“W-well, what should we do about her, then?” the other male asked. “She's in our turf.”

“The same thing we always do to people who step into our turf,” Yellow Jacket told him, regaining her confidence, “make her regret it!”

“Here ya go, ma'am.” The Wigglytuff placed a cup of light green juice in front of the Rabbit Pokémon. “Please, enjoy.”

Her nose was about a foot above the drink, and yet she could catch a slight scent of green apple wafting from the cup. She already felt her taste buds pucker in anticipation to the sourness of the juice before the cup was in her hand- sour isn't really her taste. “Bottom's up,” she said to herself.

Before the ceramic touched her lips, a blunt, “Hey!”, called out to her. She turned to the right, just to see the three Bug-types just wallowing in their own anxiety in her presence.

“You guys must be Team Bee Sting,” she told them. Her face looked away, uninterested, “I'll deal with you guys, later; right now, I'm thirsty-” but a sudden sting struck her in her hand, sending her straight back up to her feet while she dropped her cup. Smashing onto the hard wood floor, her drink was reduced to just bits of clay fragments sitting in a puddle. She plucked the thin purple needle from her left palm, and shot the bees a cold glance. “You owe me a drink.”

“You must be pretty stupid to come here!” shouted Yellow Jacket. “We, Team Bee Sting, were in the middle of preparing this bar to become our nest- and I'm going to be queen of it! After it's completed, this place'll be swarming with our little Weedle-”

“Classy,” Lopunny remarked. “Your standards seem low enough to make it work.”

“Sh-shut up!” the leader shouted. This Lopunny knew how to get to her. Her very blood boiled, urging her for the first strike for it to be quelled. Yellow Jacket obliged, flying straight for the rabbit, “If you're not gonna leave, I'll make you by force!”

Within just a second, the Beedrill lunged at Lopunny with a thousand strikes of its lances, none of which landed a successful hit on her. To the Beedrill and Wigglytuff watching, Lopunny was just standing still in one spot- but she's been dodging each attack, with little effort. As much as she pushed herself to land a hit, her speed simmered down, her arms soon dropping limp from exhaustion, unable to lift the very weight of her lances. Still not a single scratch on her opponent- even failing to hit her cloak. “H-how,” she huffed under heavy breath, “how were you able to keep up? My Fury Attack is the fastest around- how were you able to dodge it all?!”

“You call that 'fast'?” She mocked. “I've seen a Slakoth move faster than that. All I did, really, was move out of the way. What's wrong? You look exhausted- take a load off-!” Lopunny drove the blunt end of her right knee into her abdomen, sending the Beedrill flying past the spectators. All that everyone's eyes could catch of the incident was most of the wall behind Team Bee sting having a crater blown through it, and outside laid Yellow Jacket, lying unconscious among a pile of brick and tangled in string.

“Yellow Jacket!” her teammates called out, peeking their heads out of the hole the Lopunny made, “Are you okay?!” Her twitching, silent body flapped her wings in response. For a second there, she might have been squashed for good!

“Y'know, all I was gonna do was kick you out,” Lopunny told the remaining two Beedrill, grabbing their attention. “But now, guess I gotta kick your little stingers in. That'll teach ya for killin' my drink.”

The remaining Beedrill looked at each other, nodding as if they knew how to take care of her: a synchronized attack would leave her helpless. “Prepare yourself!” They shouted, voices melding as one. Impatient to dig their lances into the rabbit for their fallen teammate, their wings produced a symphony of buzzing while flying towards her, mirroring each others' swift speed. If they act as one, they'll win as one.

The Beedrill on the right lunged with his right lance, and the Beedrill on the left with his left, both aimed for her chest. But they stopped before they even touched flesh, grasped by both of the Normal-type's paws. Having both hands holding their stingers created an unfortunate lock on her by forcing her in place, greatly eliminating the Lopunny's chances of dodging their next attack.

Witnessing their remaining arm stingers reeling back for another strike, they deserved no more than a bored smirk from her- predictable. Moving her hands away from each other knocked them out of their prepared pose, which allowed her to slam the two Bug-types into each other with disorienting force, dropping them by her fluffy feet. Muscles twitching, their soft grunts in pain told her they were still alive, albeit a bit shaken from the impact.

Team Bee Sting was everything Lopunny expected from C-ranked outlaws- boring. They fought more like E-ranked outlaws. With tender care she placed the males' unconscious bodies underneath a table near the entrance, sitting them up by its single beam. Before she hunted for the leader's, she turned to the near ecstatic Wigglytuff, and asked, “Happen to have any rope or somethin' on ya?”

It took her a minute or two, but she managed to collect the full set- the three Beedrill- tied snugly together underneath a table by a thick rope. They won't be going anywhere when Bisharp comes to pick them up- except jail. And for her, a sac of Poké that fit in her palm awaited her on the serving counter. “Here you go, ma'am,” said the bartender, her smile now growing more genuine with Bee Sting out of the picture. “Thank you for your help; they've been running me rampant for days.”

“Yeah, sorry 'bout your wall,” Lopunny apologized, taking the coin bag in her right paw. “I'll let the guild know to repair it.”

“Oh, no, it's quite all right,” she giggled, “I'll just request Guildmaster Bisharp to have those three Beedrill repair it when he comes- after they pay their bill, or course-”

“Hypocrite!” Yellow Jacket butted in with a wheezing shout. “Your motto is, 'it's on the house', isn't it?! Do you not know what that means?”

“Honey, that's just a business hook,” Wigglytuff told the loud Bug-type. She returned her attention to Lopunny, “They don't understand a thing about business, do they?”

“Yeah, well, neither do I,” Lopunny replied. Walking away from her, she said, “I'll be headin' back to the guild, now; I got nothin' better to do.”

The sound of her doors swiveling brought a stream of relaxation to ease the bartender- so much so- she fainted behind the counter. Her face hit the hard wood floor with a heavy thump, though she felt no pain. She didn't care where she rested for the moment- it'll be better than being on her feet for another minute. “I need a vacation,” she moaned, her relieved voice muffled by the floor.

“Huh.” Oran looked down to his lap, his eyebrows pinched together, “I was expecting more from that fight.”

“You and I both,” the mother told her son, while scratching the back of her left calf with her right foot. “But oh well, I don't really expect much from C-ranks, anyways.” A yawn escaped from her mouth, hitting the back of you open hand. Sinking deeper into her bed as if it and her body became one, she closed her eyes, and told them, “Anyways, mommy's a little tired. Why don't you two run along, maybe go bug Florges for a little while? I'll just be here.” It took her a little while to find a comfortable position, but once she did, she was out cold.

It was cool to Oran that she came back. Just thinking about all the cool things he'll get to do with her, all the cool missions he'll get to do with her in the future, he felt no limit to the butterflies in his stomach!

His train of thought broke, taken by strange ramblings happening somewhere outside her room. Though muffled by the thick stone walls, he could almost make out some of the conversations: some burst in outrage, others were crying, scared. “Hey, Pecha, you hear that?” he asked his sister.

“Yeah,” she said. “What is with everyone?”

By the time Pecha and Oran came to investigate the commotion in the assembly hall, almost all of the guild, except the guildmistress and her assistant, crowded around the request board like a flock of Mandibuzz scoping out a freshly deceased body. Being blocked from view of the request by the much taller adults, all they could make out was: an important mission had just arrived from Bisharp Guild. Or so that's how they interpreted it. They gave them no room to budge through to even see it.

“What are we going to do?” a Swadloon asked.

“There's not much we can do,” a Tangela answered back. “These guys seem pretty tough- I don't think even our strongest guild members can deal with them.”

“B-but what about Guildmistress Florges and her team?” A Butterfree asked. “They're really strong- they can beat these guys. R-right?”

“QUIET, ALL OF YOU!!” Loudred's thunderous voice silenced the masses, and maybe have ruptured an eardrum or two, evidenced by a few Pokémon shaking their heads to get the static hissing out of their ears. “AS SHOCKING AS IT IS, WE ALL HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO- AND ON TOP OF THAT- YOU'RE ALL MAKING ME CLAUSTROPHOBIC. SO, UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO GET A MISSION OFF THE REQUEST BOARD: GET BACK TO WORK!!”

Preferring to not listen to another one of Loudred's grading outbursts, the group dispersed from the request board, though not without muttering a few choice words about him to themselves.

Finally open, the children ran right for the board to observe the mission that got everyone so riled. No new, updated missions, except for one that took Oran's eye. He jumped for it, tearing it slightly off the pin that stuck it to the flat timber. His eyes quickly scribbled across the note, only to feel the inside of his skull about to burst, overwhelmed from so many words! He passed it to the Buneary, “Here, sis; can you read it?”

“What, can't read simple words?” she snickered at him, swiping the paper from his paws. She cleared her delicate throat, before beginning:

THIS IS A STATE OF EMERGENCY TO ALL GUILDS,

Recently, a team of outlaws who call themselves, 'Team Sharktooth', have attacked a small village located in the Beige Plains, killing one and wounding many others. After speaking with the village chief, I have reason to believe they will attempt an assault on the guilds in the near future. There are three members of Team Sharktooth:

Ku the Garchomp- the leader. Sports a large scar across his chest, and one enclosing his left eye. Wanted for: murder of the first degree; acts of terrorism; destruction of property; major theft; and harassment of travelers. Reward for capture: ten-thousand Poké, dead; twenty-thousand Poké, alive.

Pele the Gabite- the only female of the group. Extremely volatile, and highly dangerous. Wanted for: arson; battery; assistance of a dangerous fugitive; major theft; and harassment of travelers. Reward for capture: five-thousand Poké, dead; ten-thousand Poké, alive.

Lono the Gabite- their strategist. Most likely to verbally confront you, rather than physically- suspected to be the least dangerous of the group- but remain cautious while confronting him. Wanted for: conspiracy; assistance of a dangerous fugitive; major theft; and harassment of travelers. Reward for capture: five-thousand Poké, dead; ten-thousand Poké, alive.

Overall outlaw team rank: Star-III

They are carrying a very dangerous item, known as the Inverse Orb. Once in effect, it may turn any confrontation to their favor. Approach with extreme caution.

All explorers ranked Bronze and below: do not engage the enemy- evacuate from the premises immediately. To all explorers ranked Silver and up: you are to confront Team Sharktooth in large groups- do not fight any of them, alone. Any trained guild personnel, such as nurses and combat instructors, are recommended to support their efforts.

We recommend keeping them alive for interrogation purposes- only kill if absolutely necessary.

-Guildmaster Bisharp

“I wanna fight 'em,” Oran spoke with a casual tone.

“Are you serious?” she objected. “we're not even ranked explorers, Oran, how are we supposed to fight these guys?”

“With fists, that's how,” he answered back. He placed his paws on his sister's shoulders, “Come on, Pecha, think of the challenge!”

“That's not a challenge, Oran- that's just insane,” she told him while shrugging off his hold.

“Don't worry, sis,” he assured her, smiling, “if I train hard enough, I won't lose to 'em-”

“Are you even listening to yourself?!” In a sudden, Oran found her face just inches from touching his. Anger reflected through her button eyes, but it brought with it a worried twitch in her brows. “It doesn't matter how much you train- you're not going to win against them! Have you even considered how long you need to train before it even matters? What if you decide to train tomorrow, and they just show up? Are you still going to fight them?”

“Of course,” he told her. “I can't just let them come and trash my home; I wanna help defend it! I'll leave the other two for you, but I wanna fight the leader dude.”

Pecha clenched her teeth tight while giving her brother an irritated grunt. He was just doing what little siblings do best- enjoying talking nonsense. She had a feeling that's going to bite him back, someday. “Whatever,” she huffed, pushing him aside as she left. “You're unbelievable. If you want to get your legs broken or something, that's your business; but don't drag me into it.”

Before she departed from the hall, he noticed the paper gliding in the air, thrown out of her grip. Rushing to pick it up, a few damp spots appeared across its pulpy surface, soaking in the morning dew from the blades of grass it touched. Skimming through its well-crafted cursive calligraphy brought back faint episodes of a dream he once had: a yet-to-be finished fantasy of him fighting a Garchomp. One way or another, an ending to that dream will be created- even if he had to fight a real Garchomp to get it.

Dusk brought a sleepy indigo tone to Unido's previously clear cerulean sky. One by one the stars began to awake, as the sun decided to retire for the night. Team Sharktooth appeared out from under the earth, one after the other, returning to that familiar little cavern on a prairie. It was good to be home.

With soft breaths of fire, Pele relit the five charred torches suspended on the walls, as her brother laid a map flat on the stone floor. All of Unido was illustrated on the face of the thin paper: the heavily forested South; the oceanic beachfronts of the West; the mountainous badlands up North; the unforgiving deserts occupying the East; and the prairie seas of Central Unido.

“Okay, so right now, we're here,” Lono told his gathering associates, as he drew a small circle Southeast of the prairie with his claw, “and Florges Guild is here,” he said, drawing another little pattern on the Southern tip of the map. “Normally it's about a three or four day journey by foot; since we're faster underground, I'd say we'll hit them in about half a day's time. I recommend attacking them during the night: we'll catch them off-guard, and hopefully it'll make it easier for us to go in, grab whatever treasure they have, and get out-”

“No,” Ku's deep voice objected, “we'll attack them during the day.”

“What?” Said Lono, asking if he heard that right. “What do you mean, 'no'? If we are going to succeed, then we need to strike them when it's most optimal, right? If we hit them at night, they won't fight back as much-”

“I want them to fight back,” Ku replied. “I want them to fight back, and see exactly who crushed them. I want them to see exactly who it was that toppled their foundations. I want them to realize how weak they were for depending on the guilds for strength. And when they've had enough, and cry for mercy- I want them to know exactly who denied their request.”

“Well, I think that's a borderline dumb idea.” Standing to his feet, Lono walked over to the towering dragon, stopping until their bellies were inches apart, and looking him straight in the eye. “Rumor's been going around that our little stunt in the Beige Plains escalated us to a Star-III outlaw team. I've also heard that Bisharp called off his pursuit of us to alert the guilds of our coming. Do you know what that means, Ku? We're walking into our own execution if we fail to hit them at the right time. If damage is to be had, I want as minimum of it to happen as possi-”

For his defiance, the Garchomp whipped his hulking tail into the Gabite's side, smashing him into a wall. Lono fell out of the crater he created, face first onto the floor. He got his trembling self onto his hands and knees, before taking Ku's monstrous kick to his stomach, sending him flopping deeper into the mouth of the cave. All he could do was breath in his own spit, before coughing it back out in a nasty wheezing fit. “Learn your place, Lono,” the leader hissed. “Next time, I won't be merciful.”

“Lono!” Seeing her twin brother near beaten to a pulp in just two blows brought a rare case of worry back into the sister Gabite; she had to help him up!

“Leave him be, Pele!” Ku's daunting roar froze her in place before she had a chance to run to his side. Hearing his voice being raised like that was the worst of her nightmares come to life, sending her entire body into a shivering tantrum. “Listen, the both of you: I don't care what ideas you have of going about this- we are doing this my way. Damage control is out of the question. There will be resistance- and resistance is meant to be crushed. We will leave no one standing, with or without the treasure. After tonight, there is no going back; we will cross the point of no return, whether you like it or not. If you can't handle it, I will save myself the trouble, and kill you now. Do I make myself clear?”

“Y-y-y-yes, s-sir,” Pele squeaked.

“You both need your strength, so rest up for tonight,” Ku told them as he turned around to walk out of the cave. “I will be on watch duty.” The walls of the cavern obscured him from Pele's sight as he walked out side, to the left of the cave.

Taking the time while he's out, Pele sat down by her aching brother on the floor, still trying to calm herself from the shivers. “G-gee,” she whispered to him, her voice only audible from the echoes of the cave, “I-I think you really got to him.”

“What...ever,” Lono wheezed, “he just can't take other people's opinions. Short-sighted punk; I hope a low hanging branch pokes him in his good eye. That'll be funny.”

A subtle, yet somewhat chilling breeze whistled across the Garchomp's navy blue scales as he sat in the sea of dried grass, watching the moon rise from the East. What a beautiful shape it had, tonight: a full moon, partly censored from passing clouds. Its pale light was enough to hypnotize him, becoming something of a luxury to him since he turned to the busy life of an outlaw. He could stare at it all night if he wanted, just like the old days.

And sometimes, if he stared long enough at it, it felt to him like it stared back like a familiar smiling face in his past. It only left him wanting the moon even more.

Last edited:
In an instant, the mantis' thinly held together smile dissolved like a solvent underneath his heavy flow of tears. “Puns make the pain worse!” he cried out, limping away from the reunited family as he hunted down the infirmary. Today just wasn't his day.

She watched the Bug-type leave trails of tears, looking on with a face deciding whether or not it wanted to be regretful for telling the joke, or just indifferent. “I guess some people don't have a taste for puns,” she said to herself underneath her voice. But she didn't let that affect her for too long, as she said to her children cheerily, “You both should tell me more about your exploring back in my room-!”

My issue here is that you're telling when you also showed things, or when you could show more.

The Beedrill on the right lunged with his right lance, and the Beedrill on the left with his left, both aiming for her chest. But they stopped before they even touched flesh, grasped by both of the Normal-type's paws. Time for plan B: with both of her hands occupied, she can't dodge their attacks- time to strike a blow with their free lances!

You flip between past and present tenses a lot in between sentences. You should make sure you don't do that, or just get a beta. That's the type of thing beta reading fixes pretty easily.

My issue here is that you're telling when you also showed things, or when you could show more.

You flip between past and present tenses a lot in between sentences. You should make sure you don't do that, or just get a beta. That's the type of thing beta reading fixes pretty easily.

Ok, I'll make sure to fix those.

EDIT: I've edited those areas. Hopefully they're better, now.

Last edited:
Chapter 9.1

Faint and constant pecking sounds of iron thorns hitting a stump target rung through the Verde Forest. In the back of the forest, that little designated spot that they usually go to for training, Pecha and Oran spent the humid afternoon throwing the slim barbs of metal that the guildmistress gave them at their assigned targets ten feet away from them. Ambipom, their combat instructor, stood beside them to provide advice on better techniques to throw them- and prevent the kids from poking their eyes out, while he's at it. Of her ten thorns, Pecha managed to stick seven into the rings of her target; Oran only managed to get two.

“Oh-ho, what's wrong, Oran?” the instructor asked, looming over him. “Your sister is beating you good; you just gonna take that?”

The Riolu returned from his target, with a handful of ten refreshed thorns. The next iron thorn ready to be pitched twirled and spun in his paw as if he couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it. Just holding the spike normally felt awkward to him, no matter where he gripped, one of its three prongs would stick him. “I don't understand,” he told the monkey, “how do I even throw these things?”

“Here, grab your next thorn, and lemme show ya something, oh-ho.” As the pup picked his next spike and held it in his right paw, the monkey caressed his paw with both tails, shuffling the thorn around with care; by the time he was finished Oran held the long end of the metal spike between his first and second digits, its sharp tip pointing towards him. “There,” the instructor said, smiling, “You were putting too much muscle in your throws; relax your body. Don't just throw the thorn- let it glide out of your paw like a dart. Keep your back straight, your body calm, and your right foot in front of the left.”

“Okay.” Oran took his eyes off his teacher, and aimed back at the wooden structure designated to be his target. Just as the monkey advised: a deep breath or two loosened him from within, and his back erected straight. It took him a few wind-ups to mark where he expected the piece of metal to go, in the center dot; when he felt he built up enough confidence, he let it loose from between his fingers, a little wobbly while it spun in the air, but in the end, the spike managed to stick deep into the right of the center, in the last of the three rings. What an awkward routine to go through.

“Not bad,” Ambipom congratulated him with a smirk, patting him on the back with his left tail, “needs a little more practice, but not bad, oh-ho.”

Oran's eyes drifted toward his left, to where his older sister came back from harvesting her thorns from her cedar target. She threw each one as he was instructed to, only left-handed, and to his discouragement, the Buneary threw each spike into a tight, correlated group, just barely hovering underneath the bullseye- and she was just as much a beginner as he. “How come she's a lot better at it than me?” Oran pouted to Ambipom.

“I just am,” his sister intercepted the question, gloating.

“Some Pokémon are just naturals at it,” Ambipom told him. “Some learn faster than others; I guess it didn't take your sister too long to figure it out, oh-ho.”

“Don't tell me you're giving up on this,” the Buneary joked, flipping her left, uncoiled ear with a flick of her paw. “Oh well, it wouldn't surprise me- I'm the older sibling, after all- talent just comes to me-” all of a sudden her pile of thorns grew larger as Oran dumped his handful into hers. She gazed at her new quantity with a dash of confusion in her eyes, then told her brother, “You aren't any fun; I was at least expecting some competition.”

“Nah,” he replied with hands behind his head, shrugging his shoulders. “I just don't care for them; I don't see the point. You're much better at it than me; you can have this win.”

Hearing his forfeit was like a dream come true to the Buneary's ears as she kept the tears in her eyes from falling. Ever since he came into her life, she threw herself in constant competition with the jackal- whether for affection or attention- which was the reason she put so much pride in her seniority in the first place. She never thought she'd see the day he'd give up without a fight- it nearly brought her to tears! But she had to keep that visage of superiority strong, wiping excess water from her eyes with a quick stroke of her arm, then puffing out her chest a little as she bragged, “I guess you just aren't cut out for this, after all, Oran: this is much too sophisticated for you.”

The pup chuckled as if agreeing, “Yeah, you're right about that, Pecha. And you know what else? You can take them with you during our missions! That way, you can help me and Scyther fight for once.”

“Are you calling me useless?” she snapped at her brother like a piece of twine under a candle flame. “I'll show you who's the useless one!” Dropping the spikes in her hand she pounced on her little brother, sending the duo to the ground, clutching each other as they tumbled around in the sea of short grass.

Ambipom stood as he watched the children deliver a flurry of punches, kicks, and slaps to each other. To some degree it was amusing to him, almost comedic, watching them go at it, but at some point he had to put a stop to it before they start yanking each other bald. Grabbing the both of them by their napes with his slender tails, he yanked them apart from their little squabble, and hoisted them into the air. “Does Scyther have to put up with this?” he asked the two with a hint of irritation breaking in his voice.

“Yeah, all the time,” the Riolu replied. “We're just playin' with each other.”

Gingerly Ambipom placed the duo back on their hind paws, back on solid ground. “You can kill each other, later,” he told them with a scowl, “But right now, we're practicing, oh-ho.”

“Yes, sir,” the kids said in a defeated groan, looking down to his feet.

Thirty feet below the guild's surface sat a Diglett in a dark corridor, his only source of light beaming from a hatch located in the assembly hall above ground. He had what he considered a simple duty: to alert the establishment above to any foreign threat. The other Pokémon would go insane, staying in what looked like a hole, doing nothing all day, but not him; he enjoyed the quiet solitude it provided.

He sensed a slight vibration in the ground he protruded from, feeling it grow in intensity until it was akin to a harsh shake. However, not all of the floor quaked around him, feeling too precise and focused to be an earthquake; someone was down there with him, tunneling their way in his direction!

Before he had the chance to alert the guild above, something crashed through the wall in front of him, the harsh light emitting from its claws stunned the mole from identifying the invader. A streak of brilliant orange swung like an ax across the Mole Pokémon's necks, and suddenly the walls around him gained a fresh, uneven coat of red. Scarlet blood emptied from the open tear in his throat into a growing puddle around him, and with each ounce spilled his consciousness dissolved to just enough strength to keep his eyes open. “Intru...,” he squeezed out a painful wail, “intru...”

“How about you take a rest?” the intruder's coarse whisper asked Diglett.

The longer he forced his weary eyes to stay open, the heavier his eyelids weighed in his blinking. His vision became a blur, and breathing dwindled to just short huffs at a time. Before fading away, the soft hue emitting from his attacker's claws allowed him to at least capture an idea of who it was: from the darkness, the soft orange glow revealed blue scales, and the ruby red underbelly of a towering dragonic body belonging to a Garchomp. The feeling of drowsiness soon overpowered the little Ground-type, slouching over himself as he gave a final, weak sigh.

“The alarm's been dealt with,” the shark said to his two associates lined behind him.

The team of three gathered in the corridor that was once the Diglett's station, immersing themselves in the amount of surprising elbow room it provided. Giving his teammates some time to stretch, the leader asked his strategist, “Lono- our location-”

“Well, since that was a Diglett sentry you filleted, a safe guess would be: we're beneath the guild's assembly hall,” he replied back in a whisper.

“Perfect,” the Garchomp replied. “Hand me the orb, Lono; now's about the time we use it.” Just as instructed the Gabite fished out the sphere from the belly of his satchel and handed it to his leader, its hot pink core illuminating the room to some degree. “Once we use it, we'll only have ten minutes of its effect,” Ku told his subordinates, taking the glass sphere between his claws. “But ten minutes will be just enough time to cause damage; that should draw the guildmistress and her team out from their quarters. After which, we'll force them to spill the location of their treasury. Both of you- cover your eyes.”

The pair of Gabite flinched behind the fins hanging below their arms, as sounds of the Inverse Orb cracking in the Garchomp's grip filled the area. Falling apart into an innumerable amount of shards underneath the dragon's mighty pressure, a surge of magenta light that was once the sphere's core exploded into a flash bang.

After a good hour or two counting Poké on her desk, Guildmistress Florges finished accounting her guild's budget collected over the week: fifty-thousand Poké. A treasure chest slept underneath her desk, where she put the last few bags of coins into its interior, and closing it with a satisfying click.

A sudden cry from deep within the guild caught her ears, causing her to jump out of her seat; if the nervous pitter-patters of her dancing heart were to be believed, she had a hunch what might have caused the distress.

The Florges rushed herself to the assembly hall, meeting with her teammates, Azumarill and Granbull, to find three dragons standing in front of the entrance: two Gabite, and a heavily scarred Garchomp- just as Bisharp's alert illustrated. And it seemed they found their way through the Diglett sentry's hatch, which emitted a heavy smoke of dust behind them.

“Good afternoon, Florges Guild,” the large Garchomp addressed the scared stiff members in his daunting, yet calm voice. “We are Team Sharktooth. We came with a simple demand: either relinquish your treasury to us, or watch your precious guild fall like rain water; we're not leaving until we accomplish one of those.”

“What have you done with the Diglett sentry?” Granbull demanded the Dragon-type in a menacing growl.

The Garchomp gave a subtle smirk to the dog. “That's a good question, mutt,” he replied, “although you won't like the answer. Let's just say: he'll need that hole of his more than ever, now.”

Hearing that sent the Fairy-type through a fit of trembling rage. “You,” he huffed furiously, tightening his knuckles until blisters would appear, “you monsters!” A simple step turned into a bloodthirsty dash towards the shark, even slipping out of his guildmistress restraining grasp; all he wanted for the moment was the dragon's head as his trophy.

In response the Mach Pokémon primed his right claw in a feral orange light.

“That won't work on me, idiot!” the Granbull shouted. In a blink of an eye his long, sharp fangs turned icy blue, and he frothed a cold, wintery haze from his mouth. Taking a powerful leap at the dragon, he opened his maw wide, revealing those icicles for teeth ready to shred into his skin.

“Let's find out!” Ku responded with a heavy swing with his Dragon Claw, cleaving straight through the Granbull's abdomen, and even amputating his left arm just below the shoulder joint with simple force. Even his expression of shock read deliciously predictable to Ku: “how is this even possible?”

The mangled dog landed straight on his back with a heavy thud. The shock in his eyes remained permanent while he twitched and shook, the open wound in his chest continued spraying his vital life essence like a sprinkler, and his newly stubbed arm coated him in a red puddle. He sat there as his slayer stepped over him; when he took a look at his fresh kill, the Granbull was no more than discarded trash in the Garchomp's eyes. “Disgusting.” With a bump from the back of his right foot, Ku kicked the defeated mutt into the blown Diglett hole, wanting to forget about the mess he made of him. Though instead of hearing a satisfying scream, all the dragon ever heard was a faint “thump”.

“Disgusting,” the dragon said once more to the shivering guild members, “he even died like a mutt; what a waste of time. Who else is feeling particularly brave?”

No one wanted to face that monster. They stood in place, either shivering out of their own skins, or keeping themselves from balling their eyes out. Even the guildmistress dared not to budge from her stasis, freezing her left hand in front of her mouth as to keep herself from throwing up from tension. “E-evacuate,” Florges squeezed from her mouth. She tried once more, but with a stronger roar, “Everyone- evacuate! Now! Evacuate to the back of Verde Forest!”

“Y-YOU HEARD HER, EVERYONE,” Loudred's voice broke from the silence, “MOVE IT TO THE BACK OF THE VERDE! MOVE IT, MOVE IT, MOVE IT!”

At first it took them a while to gain the courage to even break from their statue-like stances, but with the Loudred leading them, an organized stampeded ensued, heading for the back of the Assembly Hall which led to the forest outside.

“Ku, they're all getting away,” Pele whispered as she jogged to his side. “What should we do?”

The Garchomp responded with silence at first. But after a few seconds, he told her, “Leave them be- this makes it easier to loot their belongings.”

“But they're eye witnesses,” she whispered back in an angered growl. “We can't just let them go!”

“And what are they gonna tell the officials?” he asked her back. “All they can do is spread our influence. Don't waste your energy on those guppies; we have bigger fish right in front of us-”

After the guild cleared of all potential distractions, all who stood in the outlaws' way were the guildmistress, and her assistant. Ku gave a slight smirk: telling by the shaken expressions worn by the opposing side, his team had the psychological advantage. “What's wrong, ladies?” he taunted the Florges and Azumarill pair. “You're acting like you saw a ghost. I assume the both of you are the strongest in the guild, yet here you are, frightened like a pair of newcomers. Go on, then- defend your pathetic guild! Show no mercy to us!”

“G-Guildmistress, I'm scared,” the Azumarill squeaked to her.

“It will be all right,” Florges assured her. She then asked her invaders, “I have but one question for you: the Inverse Orb- are you under its influence? What you did to Granbull was unnatural, a Dragon-type move hurting a Fairy-type; even if that was your natural strength you've trained specifically for countering us, you still wouldn't be able to even bruise us. If you are under its effects, then I assume our Fairy-type attacks are ineffective, correct?”

“You have an eye for observation,” the dragon replied with an intrigued smirk. “I'll answer your question with a question of my own: do you want to find out?”

The second the Garchomp tilted over for a charge, a curtain of blue flame engulfed him, taking everyone by surprise! A tall Delphox approached from one of the many hallways connected to the assembly hall, with a wooden staff aimed at the outlaws in one hand, and her daughter in the other. “Go, now, Cheri,” she told her pup, placing her on the ground, “go find the evacuation party.”

“But, mother-!”

“There's no time for arguments!” the mother roared, causing her child to cower. Taking a few steps back, the Fennekin pup took her mother's advice, running off to find the rest of the guild members. Wherever they were, at least she would be safer there than here.

Ku fanned away the sea of fire with a single swing of his left fin; thick clouds of gray smoke filled the hall from its embers attempting to burn the moist grass of the guild floor. Despite being in the belly of an overwhelming inferno, he showed no scorches or burns across his entire body. “You'll pay for that,” he hissed at the fox.

“Forgive my intrusion, guildmistress, but I would like to join in on the fun,” she told Florges with an air of confidence. “I simply won't allow these barbarians to destroy my home; I've recently made one journey to move here, I refuse to make another.”

It wasn't much, but the sight of Delphox brought a wave of relief surging through the guildmistress. “Thank you for joining,” Florges told her, smiling.

With the addition of the fox on her side, it was now three against three. “What an interesting development,” the Garchomp said to himself. “Regardless, adding more people into the fray won't increase their odds of winning- it only increases the number of bodies.” He shouted to his teammates, “Lono- take the Azumarill; Pele- take the Delphox; I'll have a little talk with our guildmistress.”

Her collar of hydrangeas glowing pure white, Florges took her hands up to her chest, charging a small ball of greenish-blue energy between her palms; once it grew to the size of a bowling ball, she hurled it at the Garchomp. Swinging his left claw down like a hammer, Ku responded by Slashing the ball of energy in two, detonating it in front of him.

Drawing a circle of fire in the air with the end of her staff, Delphox collapsed it into a single point before spewing a tense stream of bright sapphire flame at the female Gabite. Pele reacted with a stream of flame of her own, colliding her Flamethrower with the fox's Mystical Fire to create a great curtain of inferno that spread across the guild floor.

Azumarill took a deep breath, and soon fired a high pressured jet of water from her mouth, aiming to take the male Gabite out in a single attack. Covering his chest with both arms, Lono took the impact of her Hydro Pump, trying to hold his ground while the jet of water pushed him back with boulder-crushing force, waiting for the Aqua Rabbit to tire.

Last edited:
Chapter 9.2

A suspicious noise latched on to Ambipom's ears, making him turn his attention away from his student's practice. An entire crowd of Pokemon gathered around the teacher and his disciples, though curiosity or amazement wasn't what dragged them out in the forest.

“Ambipom, what's wrong with them?” Oran asked, observing the same scene the monkey was.

“Oran, stay with Pecha,” he told him. “I'll go figure out what's happening, oh-ho.”

Leaving his students for a second, the double-tailed monkey met with the sudden crowd, but something wasn't right with them to him. Some hid their faces in paws full of tears; others spaced out with empty eyes as if escaping from an active battlefield. “What has gotten into everyone, oh-ho?” he asked himself. Among the bunch he saw Loudred, as quiet as a Whismur for once. “Loudred, what's going on?” Ambipom asked.

“SOMETHING TRULY TERRIBLE, THAT'S WHAT!” he replied with a shout loud enough to rumble a mountain, everyone around him covering their ears to keep from going deaf. “THREE OUTLAWS JUST SHOWED UP OUTTA NOWHERE AND STARTED ATTACKING THE GUILD! THEY EVEN WHACKED GRANBULL!”

“That's terrible!” Ambipom screamed. “What about the Guildmistress? Is she still all right?”

“SHE AND AZUMARILL ARE STILL IN THERE,” he explained, “TRYING TO PROTECT THE GUILD. BUT SOMETHING ABOUT THOSE OUTLAWS ARE JUST WEIRD, I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG FLORGES CAN LAST AGAINST THEM. YOU'RE A TRAINED EXPLORER, AMBIPOM; WHY DON'T YOU GO IN THERE AND HELP?”

He didn't care how strong the invaders were, or why they want to wreck the guild. Ambipom had only one answer, and he blurted it without a second thought, “Oh-ho, yeah, like I would ever let those punks destroy my guild! Watch Pecha and Oran for me; make sure they don't leave the group, oh-ho. I'm going in to help Guildmistress Florges!”

“BUT, AMBIPOM, I AIN'T GOOD AROUND-!” Having started his run for the guild, Ambipom made a great effort to ignore Loudred's complaint, never looking back to acknowledge him. “KIDS,” the Loudred sighed. His perpetually open mouth took on the form of a frown. “GREAT,” he said to himself, “HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KEEP THOSE KIDS AWAY FROM THE GUILD? I'M NOT SO MUCH WORRIED ABOUT THE GIRL; SHE SEEMS TO BE ENJOYIN HER PRACTICE. IT'S-”

He felt two light on his right leg. Looking down, he saw a curious looking Riolu hovering near his kneecap. “hey, Loudred, do you know what's going on?” Oran asked. “Where's Ambipom going?”

“NOTHING,” he replied, “NOTHING IS HAPPENING. WE'RE DEFINITELY NOT BEING ATTACKED BY A GANG OF SUPER STRONG OUTLAWS OR ANYTHING; THAT'S JUST SILLY. AMBIPOM JUST FORGOT A FEW THINGS, SO HE'LL BE BACK IN A MINUTE OR TWO.”

“But you just said a second ago-”

“I SAY A LOT OF THINGS!” the Loudred screamed. “I'M LITERALLY JUST A BIG MOUTH WITH LEGS- IT'S WHAT I DO! NOW GO BACK TO PRACTICING THROWING YOUR IRON BARBS, OR WHATEVER.”

“You mean, 'iron thorns'?” Oran corrected him. His eyes drifted away, and his hands locked behind his head. “Nah, I don't like those things all that much; I just feel like heading back inside, and-”

To his surprise Oran found himself lifted up with ease, Loudred hoisting him by his sides, and suspending him over his head to observe the forest's thick skyline of rich, emerald foliage. “HEY, LOOK, KID- NATURE!” Loudred exclaimed in a falsely excited tone. “YA LIKE NATURE, DON'T YA, KID?”

“Well, of course,” Oran replied back, watching the blanket of leaves above head sway to the slightest touch of wind. “I live in nature. I get to see it every day; it gets kinda boring, though, after seeing it so many times, y'know-?”

MY MASTER PLAN IS WORKING,” the Loudred thought to himself as the Riolu pup rambled on without much of a care.

Meanwhile, the guild remained an active war zone. The moist grass floor became a thin smokescreen from the Gabite and Delphox spreading their fire around; everything below the fighters' feet was a mystery.

Azumarill, the first to fall in battle, laid on her stomach unconscious, with several light gashes and scratches lining her cerulean body. Lono loomed over her as the victor, though looking down on her wrote a grimace of self-disgust across his face. Even after going easy on her, refraining from doing any major damage to her, he felt sick to his stomach just looking at what he was able to do. If he wasn't under the Inverse Orb's effects, maybe she'd be in better condition.

His sister's shout caught his ear, “Hey, Lono, get your butt over here! This one's really starting to get under my scales!” When he looked over to her battle, he realized she wasn't kidding. It's been only two minutes since they started fighting, and already Pele huffed and wheezed as if she just ran a marathon; she never learned how to conserve her energy during fights.

“Take this!” Again the Delphox drew a circle of flame midair with her staff, collapsing it into savage stream of inferno. Except this time, her opponent had tired herself too much to counter, deciding to engulf herself in the ravenous sapphire flames. But as the Gabite's screams of discomfort suggested, she was unaware the Inverse Orb weakened her natural resistance to fire.

“Lono! Don't just stand there,” she shrieked in pain, rolling around the ground in a panic, “do something, you idiot!” Lono kicked up a small stream of sand with his left fin, using his Sand Attack to douse out the flames devouring his sister before they did any major harm to her. Pele's cries for mercy turned into a series of coughing fits as she laid flat on her belly. “Took you long enough,” she coughed out. Just like Ku, her body failed to register a single scorch mark, even after being turned into a giant ball of fire.

“Mystical Fire doesn't act like other Fire-type moves,” the Delphox explained to them. “It lacks the ability to burn, yet your body still registers the sensation of burning. Being both a Dragon-type and a Ground-type you should have resisted it fairly easily, yet, your reaction to it was interesting.”

Pele stood herself onto her knees, refusing to lose the fight. “Why don't ya shut your mouth, ya dumb broad?” she blurted out. “Your voice makes me wanna puke!”

Seeing such revolting disrespect from her opponent sent a twitching fit through the fox's right eye brow. “Is that how you treat your elders?” Delphox growled at her, flinging a ripple of blue inferno at the Gabite with her staff. But a line of sand intercepted the fire attack, snuffing it about before reaching Pele. The Fox Pokémon passed an apathetic glance towards the brother, suspecting him of throwing the Sand Attack. “I prefer you not to interfere,” said the fox witch.

“You got something in your eyes!” Whipping his tail across the foggy black ground summoned a splash of sand, aiming directly for the Fire-type's head. Delphox nudged her head to the left, missing the Dragon's pathetic Sand Attack.

“Fool,” Delphox called the Gabite. “Did you really think that would work after you called it out?”

“No,” Lono answered with a confident grin, “but thanks for taking the bait, anyways.”

At first she had no idea what he was talking about, But then it suddenly dawned on her. Delphox only took her eyes off her real opponent for a few seconds, but that gave the female Gabite enough time to get up close to her, practically breathing up her robes. There wasn't enough time to charge another Mystical Fire; in a split-second decision, her deep blue eyes turned entirely purple with psychic energy, erecting an invisible, paper-thin barrier between her and the Gabite.

Passing through it certainly slowed the Dragon-type down to a noticeable degree, but it failed to stop her from attacking. Swiping at her lower abdomen with her right claw, to start off her Dual Chop attack, it connected with a light mist of blood. Then the second claw came, cutting diagonally downward to intersect with the first wound; a little more fluid left the fox's stomach as she toppled like a falling tree, hitting the ground hard on her back.

Delphox groaned while wiggling on the ground, using her thick coat arms to slow the heavy bleeding; All she felt in her stomach was a deep burning sensation from her open wounds getting some air. Had she not used her Reflect, she feared the dragon's claws could have gone deeper.

As the Fox Pokémon used the wall to her right to help prop her to her knees, the victor towered over her, a smug grin stretching across her face. “Had enough, yet?” Pele taunted in glee. “I guess so; you're just all bark, and no bite.”

“You little, arrogant brat,” Delphox growled in pain. “I will not allow myself to be talked down by the likes of you-!” in the middle of forcing herself up her knees gave in, and she toppled back to the ground on her stomach.
The Cave Pokémon burst out laughing at the sight of her enemy falling down, her obnoxious howls rung through the guild like a banshee's wail. “Look at you; you're a mess!” she hollered, tears nearly trickling down her face. “Don't think about getting back up- you look better as a rug, anyways!”

“Leave her alone, already,” Lono told his sister. “You've won your fight; there's no need to brag about it.”

Suddenly her desire to laugh died out to a resentful silence. “Gee, just suck the fun outta everything, why don't ya,” she groaned in a disheartened tone. That was her brother for her, all right: an enemy to all that is fun.

Her fight with the Garchomp didn't even remotely feel like a real fight to the Guildmistress. Her once perfect, porcelain skin now adorned several deep purplish bruises and lightly bleeding scrapes. With not a single scratch on his scales, it was like he was toying with her, playing with her like she was some child's doll. To her- he was taunting her abilities.

“Tired already?” the dragon mocked. “We haven't even begun, yet.”

As mush as she wanted to tell him otherwise, the flower wasn't in any condition to lie. Each irregular breath was heavier than a Stoutland's overheated panting. Even while she slumped to the ground for a few quick gasps, the desert in her mouth kept getting dryer, making it harder to breathe. All of her muscles felt stiff and heavy, having expended so much energy to punish the foe with no payoff.

“What you did to Diglett and Granbull, was truly horrendous,” she huffed. “As Guildmistress, I will stop your terror; no more members will be harmed by your hand!” Struggling to get back up, she continued, “Even if I must fall, I will not allow your evil to destroy my guild! As every guildmaster must be, I am prepared to die, to protect the home of so many Pokémon-!”

Ku's enormous tail slammed into the guildmistress' gut with boulder-shattering strength, knocking the wind out of her lungs and the Florges off her tail, flinging her outside of the guild's entrance to the Verde Forest. “I've been courteous enough to go easy on you,” said the Garchomp as he strolled to her. “With this power of mine I could have killed you the moment we started fighting; I kept you alive this long to tell me where your treasury is located.”

Laying on her back in the pebble-filled dirt, a spot of sun hit her in the eyes. It gave her an idea: closing her eyes, her collar of blue hydrangeas turned snow white, drawing in energy from the sunlight around her. The Synthesis continued to draw in the surrounding light, reinvigorating the Garden Pokémon with newfound energy; she didn't need much, just enough to keep her fighting.

Ku's hefty left foot crashed down on the Florges' arm, disrupting her Synthesis, and pulverizing her left humerus into bone powder. Biting down on her lip almost hard enough to draw blood, she locked a scream of pain inside of her mouth, filtering it to sound like a discomforting groan to the dragon. Florges turned her head, trying to rob her opponent the pleasure to watch a heavy flow of tears trickle down her face, but no matter which way she turned, there would always be one eye revealed.

Grinding his left foot with her arm underneath forced those exquisite screams right out from her throat, and her tears flowed heavier than streams out of a crumbling dam. “Talk,” he told her in a calm demeanor. “Where is your treasury? Your guild will be left unharmed, if you just tell me where it is.”

Despite squirming around on the ground like an earthworm, filling the air with her stomach-churning howls, Florges kept her lips shut to the hammerhead.

Ku bellowed a low growl at the sight of the guildmistress' noncompliance; a new persuasion tactic was needed. He lifted his foot off the Garden Pokémon's broken arm, only to place his right foot on the side of her head, placing firm pressure, but not enough to squish it like a grape. Ku ground her face into the dirt, until she was locked in place to stare at the inside of her guild through watery eyes.

“Look, Guildmistress,” the dragon told her, “look at your guild. Watch what your stubbornness rewarded you with.” The leader called out to his observing teammates from the inside, “Lono, Pele: destroy the guild! Leave nothing standing!”

The female Gabite was all too happy to carry out his order. A calm vortex of sand formed around her at first, but the entire inside of the assembly hall was soon devoured by the devastating storm. Fine particles of earth produced by her Sand Tomb wore down the walls at an alarming rate, until the ceiling overhead collapsed from having nothing left supporting it. Like meteors from the sky, the ceiling collapsed into large chunks of stone, burying both the unconscious Azumarill and Delphox underneath hills of rubble.

Her entire pride and joy was being destroyed by a simple sandstorm- and she was forced to watch every second of it. She was forced to watch her guild, her home, be converted into an unrecognizable ruin in a hand-made desert. Florges tried wiggling her head out of her captor's grasp, to avoid another moment of devastation, but Ku's foothold held strong and firm; the more she struggled, the harder he pressed down.

“Stop,” the guildmistress gave in, begging while catching a mouthful of dirt, “please, stop! I'll do as you ask- just leave the rest of my guild alone! I'm begging you!”

The dragon lifted his foot from her tear-soaked face, believing in her surrender. Signaling for his teammate to put a cap on her Sand Tomb, He told the guildmistress, “Then be a good girl, and tell me: where is your treasury? If this is a trick, I have no qualms with squashing your head like a berry underneath my foot.”

At first she couldn't speak coherently underneath her heavy sobbing. But she took a few seconds to collect some calmness to speak, “The- the treasury is underneath my desk, in my office, west wing. It's all collected inside a treasure chest. We are a- we're a rural guild- we don't receive much, anyways; it's all we have. So, please, just take it, and leave,” she told him before her tears started running, again.

The dragon gave a slight smirk, satisfied with his prey giving in to his demands. “There; was that so hard?” he asked as if belittling her.

A furious shout broke from behind the Garchomp as he turned his back and started walking for the guild, “Hey, you! Get away from the guildmistress!” An aggressive Ambipom caught up to him, ten feet in the air, preparing to strike him with a savage punch from one of his tails.

Ku blocked the attack from his right tail by covering his upper body with his arm fins, unflinching at its sheer impact as it drove him backwards. Ambipom landed several feet away by ricocheting off his opponent; the Garchomp's entire left fin was nearly turned black, but he read no signs of pain from his face.

“Oh-ho, how are you still standing?” Ambipom demanded. “That punch was strong enough to even fall a redwood tree; how did it not break your arms?”

“Oh? Was I supposed to feel something?” the shark taunted, a wide, toothy smile stretching across his face. “Because I didn't feel a thing.” He turned to his teammates inside the ruins, “Lono, Pele: find the treasury,” he ordered. “I'll deal with this monkey, myself.” Given the order, the Gabite pair ran off deeper into the guild, hunting for their treasure.

“You'll pay for-”

Ku cut him off, “For destroying your home- I know; I can't go five seconds without you worms reminding me. It disturbs me that so many of you fell for that guise. Do you know what a guild really is? What it really is: is a work camp, leeching off what little their 'explorers' rake in. You risk your life, possibly even die, to earn just a measly handful of Poké, while the Guildmaster gets comfy with your earnings.”

A look of confusion struck the two-tailed monkey, unable to decipher what he's saying. “Oh-ho? Which guild did you come from that does that?”

“Why does it matter to you?” Ku asked. “You're going to die in a few moments!” Digging his right foot beneath the Florges' barely conscious body, he flung her at Ambipom!

Distracted by his flying guildmistress, he took his eyes off his opponent for a few seconds to catch her in his scrawny arms; for someone built like a slender flower, she packed some serious weight!

A sudden shadow blotted out the sun; in just a few short moments, Ku towered over the monkey, poised to strike! He brought his right claw down with the weight of a sledgehammer, but the nimble Ambipom dodged by jumping backwards several feet.

“What an attack,” the Normal-type remarked to himself, observing the thick cloud of dirt that engulfed the dragon whole. “Had I taken it, Florges and I would've been torn apart like paper, oh-ho! I can't mess around with this guy; first, I need to find a safe spot to put the guildmistress down. But where is 'safe'?”

“Nowhere's safe,” Ku remarked, as his veil of earth cleared, revealing him once more. “If you lay her down, who's to say I won't attack her?”

“You're a monster!” screamed Ambipom. “What are you gaining from attacking us?”

“That's a good question,” Ku replied. “A good question that I don't have the time to answer!” From underneath his feet he summoned a whirling maelstrom of sand, using it as a veil to block his opponent's line of sight.

The storm howled relentlessly, causing the Ambipom to close his eyes shut; his whole body stung from resisting the sand blasting him at a high velocity. But through it all he kept the guildmistress close to his chest. “You're Sand Tomb doesn't me!” Ambipom's scream broke through the storm. “You're gonna have to try a lot harder if you wanna beat me!”

The sandstorm died off, but there was no trace of the Dragon-type anywhere; only a large hole was left where he used to stand. His heart beat like a racing Rapidash, and his nerves hardened to steel. The inside of his head buzzed like a hive of angry Combee, turning every direction in a frantic sweep.

“Where could he be, oh-ho?” he asked himself. “It's unlikely he's retreating- he doesn't seem like that kind of Pokémon. So, is he going to attack me from the front? Or maybe from behind?” A loud gulp rung through his throat, “What if he's planning a sneak attack on the evacuation party?”

Following the sound of the earth exploding behind him, a sharp pain traveled up his spine, causing him to drop his leader from his tight grasp. Turning around, he saw the outlaw reappear, but with both of his tails laying beside him.

Hyperventilating, he patted down the bleeding stubs where his precious extensions used to be, hoping this was some kind of dream. It wasn't. “What did you do to my tails?” screamed Ambipom.

“The same thing I'm going to do to you,” the outlaw replied.

This is just part of the review game for me, but from what I've read, I was intrigued yet horrified.

The characters of Oran and Pecha interested me, though I only read the chapters asked for in review. I can already tell Oran is a Riolu with something to prove. Pecha, meanwhile, probably has an interesting story to tell (and decent sass to boot), though maybe not quite as interesting as Eteboth's. (I only use the Japanese names now.) He seems like a Pokémon that's been to hell and back and learned all he knows there. The horrifying parts involved the deaths I read about. I promised a darker anime for my own story Pokémon XCD, but I don't think I'd ever be as graphic as the deaths in those chapters. That's not necessarily bad, but it surprised me how far Team Sharktooth went against their enemies. (Dismembered tails and trickling blood, yikes.)

It's a story I may have to look more into. The English names will definitely throw me off, though I could just mentally replace them (That's what I've been doing in ORAS.). If it's anything like the more grim outlook presented in 9.1 and 9.2 alone, however, I might be in over my head.

This is just part of the review game for me, but from what I've read, I was intrigued yet horrified.

The characters of Oran and Pecha interested me, though I only read the chapters asked for in review. I can already tell Oran is a Riolu with something to prove. Pecha, meanwhile, probably has an interesting story to tell (and decent sass to boot), though maybe not quite as interesting as Eteboth's. (I only use the Japanese names now.) He seems like a Pokémon that's been to hell and back and learned all he knows there. The horrifying parts involved the deaths I read about. I promised a darker anime for my own story Pokémon XCD, but I don't think I'd ever be as graphic as the deaths in those chapters. That's not necessarily bad, but it surprised me how far Team Sharktooth went against their enemies. (Dismembered tails and trickling blood, yikes.)

It's a story I may have to look more into. The English names will definitely throw me off, though I could just mentally replace them (That's what I've been doing in ORAS.). If it's anything like the more grim outlook presented in 9.1 and 9.2 alone, however, I might be in over my head.

Oh yeah, trust me, I didn't originally plan the invasion to be this graphic. I was talking to someone on Serebii, and he suggested me to be this graphic, and I thought he was right, though I was reluctant at first to make a bloodbath this early. In the end I took his advice.

Chapter 9.3

Obnoxious fumes of foliage and chlorophyll invaded the land sharks' nostrils as they entered a small room housing no more than a hand-grown garden of various colors, and a desk; it was like walking in to an Aromatisse parlor! What a bland, little office: nothing gave the room any sort of personality, aside from the few cornrows of dirt that sprouted a plethora of different flowers.

“Where could it be?” Pele asked.

Her brother responded, “She said she kept a treasure box under her desk.”

“Oh, really?” She walked up to the dark oak desk; placing her claws underneath its ledges, she tossed it at a nearby wall, smashing it into a broken heap of wood. There it was, begging to be taken: a wooden box with a dark finish, large enough for the both of them to carry.

Bending over, Pele tried picking it up by herself. It wouldn't budge, her single-clawed hands were unable to get a solid grip; very time she pulled up, it would just slip out of her grasp.

“You can do better than that, Pele,” Lono remarked.

The sister took several huffs, not of exhaustion, but out of frustration. “Oh, forget this!” She reeled her left leg back, and delivered a swift kick to the box, its top exploding into a spray of fine splinters. Inside were several sacs, some big, and some small. “Lono, fill your bag up with these,” she told him.

Lining the inside of his bag with the numerous coin purses, its single strap thrown over his right shoulder started choking him from its accumulating weight. Just one big sac of Poke was almost enough to fill his pouch entirely! “I don't think they can all fit.”

“Shut up, and do !” the sister exploded, startling her brother into a faster pace of scooping up the loot.

By the time he was finished, his bag was overfilling with Poke; he felt like he was put in a chokehold by the strap over his shoulder. “Okay, Pele, let's go,” he wheezed, “you have no idea how uncomfortable this is.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ambipom crashed into the face of a large tree back first, kicking all air out of his lungs. Black spots littered his purple body, and a massive shiner closed his left eye entirely; his body became too weak and broken to even stand himself up. Consciousness came as quickly as it went, often blurring his vision of the dragon towering over him.

“I'm surprised you still decided to stay and fight,” he told him, “considering I've crippled your only means of effective attack. Either: you stayed out of obligation, or desperation.”

Ambipom said nothing to him, focusing his remaining energy on breathing, albeit they were very weak.

Ku looked down upon the hurting creature, with not a single shred of regret. But something about the sight of him disgusted the Dragon-type: his broken appearance reminded him of his own pain from long ago.

“Look at you,” he snarled, “all broken and vulnerable; you disgust me. You are probably thinking to yourself: 'if I were any stronger, I could have prevented this'. Regardless of how many times the weak convince themselves they're strong, there's always something to prove them wrong. You think relying on the guild makes you strong? Look-” his right eye shifted to the downed Fairy-type, “your caretaker couldn't do anything to stop this. What does that say about your dependency? Such a reliance is why weak spirits as yourself exist.” He turned back to the monkey, “And that reliance on her got you in the state you are in, now. I can see it in your eye: you want it to end. Don't worry- it will.” Extending his right fin, he placed it firmly across the battered Ambipom's throat.

All the monkey could do was grip at the fin, kicking up mounds of dirt to try and break free. Breathing soon turned to constricted gurgling, and tears tread down his open eye. After a few seconds his strength started failing him, his grip on the dragon turning limp. It didn't take long until his arms fell to his side, hanging lifelessly as he drew a long sigh. As soon as Ku let go, the monkey flopped onto the ground.

Ku stared at the lifeless husk, now sleeping peacefully on the grassy floor. He wanted a formidable fight from the guild; in the past ten minutes, he had nothing that even resembled a fight. Three members have died, while three more remained critically injured. All the while he stood victorious without a scratch. The Inverse Orb was to blame, for the most part: it made all those “fights” boring to him. No wonder why it was banned from use in the first place.

“Ku!” A male voice broke from the background calling for him, grabbing his attention. He saw both Lono and Pele back from the Guildmistress' office, but with no aforementioned chest. Instead, Lono's satchel was full to the brim with its loot. “Our time is up,” Lono cried, “We need to go!”

“I couldn't agree more,” he shouted back, “it's no fun fighting these worms, anyways.”

Ku felt like he was forgetting something. As he stepped over the unconscious body of the guildmistress, he gazed down at her from his shoulder. Florges looked so peaceful in her sleep, except her left arm bent in a twisted, mangled way. She was left wide open; he could kill her in an instant, and she won't even know it. But that would be no fun. “I'll let despair do the job for me,” he told himself as he turned away from her.

When he stepped back into the destroyed assembly hall, the soft sand covering the ground, getting in between his toes, reminded him of the desert he used to call home. But now wasn't the time for reminiscing.

“My taste for battle has grown stagnant,” he told his team members in an unsatisfied growl. “I expected them to give me a fight, but apparently that was asking too much of them. Even killing them felt like I was doing them a favor. Disgusting.” He turned to Lono, and asked, “Do you have all of it?”

The Gabite flipped his faded brown pouch open, revealing the many sacs of Poke stacked over its brim. “Pele couldn't lift the chest,” he told him, “so she had to improvise. But, yes, we got it all.”

“Good. Very good,” Ku said. “Now, I don't have to spend another second meddling with these degenerates.”

“There, there, good,” a mysterious female's voice rung through the eastern hallway, accompanied by the quiet screech of an object grazing against a wall. Telling by her tone she was rushed, like she quickly needed to be somewhere. “You're doing fine,” she said to someone unknown, “just a little further, then we'll make it with everyone else.”

Seconds later, two Pokemon emerged from the corridor: one of them was a Blissey, adorning a pure white gown and nurse's cap. She hovered next to a Scyther, directing him as he slowly made his way through the hall. The Bug-type looked taped together, many little white strips and bandages patched all over his mint green exoskeleton. They must have been late to taking the evacuation call.

“Just keep walking,” the nurse told him. “We're almost-” she stopped in her tracks.

“Nurse? What is it?” the Scyther asked. “Why did you stop?” When he looked in front of him, he found himself speechless. Three Pokemon unknown to him stood in what used to be the assembly hall, which was now a makeshift wasteland. To his horror, he noticed Azumarill and Delphox buried under a mound of debris passed out, or possibly even worse.

“Who are you three?” Blissey demanded them in a frightened squeal. “What have you done to the guild?”

“You two were late to the party,” Ku told the nurse and her patient. “We don't take kindly to latecomers.”

Gazing around the room in shock, it didn't take the pink egg very long to realize the dragons' sheer strength. Her muscles locked up in tension, only being able to tremble. “C-could you let us pass through, please?” she asked them in a quivering voice. “I-I-I wasn't trained to fight; I-I'm just a nurse!”

“All the more reason to quash you!” Pele snapped at her, sending a shock down her spine. A stream of intense fire left the Gabite's mouth, roaring straight for the nurse with the intent of cooking her like the frightened egg she was.

In a quick moment of selflessness, the Scyther stepped in front of the Blissey, taking her place to be engulfed by the flames as her shield. His blood-curdling roars drowned out the crackling of the flames, and he collapsed to the ground rolling, hoping to use the soft earth to snuff out the blaze. But the Flamethrower still persisted, constantly adding new fire before the old inferno had a chance to die out.

It only stopped after a few seconds when Pele interrupted it with a sudden cough. Puffs of smoke now bellowed from her maw as she hacked up a storm. “Man, what was up with that just now?” she asked herself in a scratchy voice, before clearing her throat again.

Scyther's bonfire dissipated to just a few embers, revealing the full horrors of his condition to the Blissey: his bright lime skin was now charcoal black. His thin wings completely burned away like they were made of paper. His body raised and lowered faintly, showing her that he was still conscious- for now.

“S-Scyther!” Blissey shouted as tears ran down her cheeks.

Before she attempted to touch him, Ku barked, “You there: run! Do you want to share a similar fate?”

The Happiness Pokemon stood frozen in fear, overloaded by her thoughts. She wanted to do as he said and run; on the other hand, she couldn't just leave Scyther by himself in his burned state.

“Run!” Ku barked at her even louder. Eventually, she gave in to him before he gave in to his rage, and waddled out to the forest where everyone else was.

“Why'd you let her go?” Pele questioned him. “Do you know who that was?”

“I'm well aware,” Ku answered. “She would have been a nuisance had we fought her: even with our combined efforts, it would take all day just to scratch her. My patience has been stretched far enough with this pathetic place. We have what we came for- so let's just leave.”

One moment, the team hid behind a violent vortex of sand; in the next, they were gone, with a large gaping crater appearing where they used to be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the past ten minutes, strange noises and smoke emitted from the guild. The occasional screams of familiar voices got on everyone's mind, even Oran's. From the sounds of it, something interesting was happening, and here he was, suspended five feet in the air by Loudred, only able to observe the clouds above. If he wanted to free himself, he had to devise a quick plan.

“Hey, Loudred,” he said, “I have to pee.”

“HUH? OH, OKAY.” The moment he placed him on the ground and let go, the Riolu dashed straight for the guild! “ORAN, YOU LITTLE LIAR! WAIT UNTIL I GET MY HANDS ON YOU!” the Loudred shouted, finally realizing what the blue jackal pup was planning. “DON'T GO THAT WAY! ORAN!”

“Loudred, what's going on?” Pecha asked, taking time off her practice to notice almost everybody had gathered outside. “What's happening?”

“NOTHING, NOTHING'S HAPPENING,” Loudred assured her nervously. “I ASSURE YOU, I HAVE EVERYTHING UNDER CONTROL; THE GUILD ISN'T BEING DESTROYED, AND OUTLAWS ARE DEFINITELY NOT ATTACKING US. JUST KEEP PRACTICING YOUR IRON BARBS, WHILE I FETCH YOUR BROTHER.” Loudred gave chase to the little Riolu pup.

The trees zoomed past him like brown blurs as he made his run. Suddenly he put on his brakes, sliding across the dirt floor before stopping in front of his first warning sign. Ambipom's body laid in front of a tree, while his severed tails were strewn everywhere. The guildmistress herself was in no better condition, having fainted in the middle of the trail, with her left arm bending in a naturally impossible angle.

Hovering above the downed leader, he saw Blissey flipping Florges' unconscious body around to examine every bruise and broken bone. “No fatal injuries, as far as I can tell,” she said to herself, “but you need attention, pronto.”

“Hey, miss, what happened?” Oran asked, startling the nurse from her work.

She took a large sigh of relief, “Oh, Oran, you startled me. It was those outlaws- they did all this! First, they burned Scyther right in front of me, and now I see they've knocked Guildmistress Florges unconscious, and killed Ambipom! And I'm sure that's not even all they did!”

“What?” His tightening fist croaked loudly and trembled; anger swelled inside him like a boiler under pressure. He couldn't create a single consistent thought about the scene before him, but one: “unforgivable”. Who could have done such a thing? But one thing he was sure of: whoever did this must be very strong.

Leaping over the leader's body, he dashed straight for the guild, without a second thought. Most rational Pokemon would turn away after witnessing what he saw; he used it as a reason to push forward.

“W-wait, Oran,” Blissey cried for him, “don't go in there! You don't know the danger you're getting yourself into!”

Oran tuned her out.

Oran's hind paws sunk into the soft sand that flooded the floor as he entered the assembly hall- or what's left of it, anyways. The stone dome that once sheltered him was converted into a sun roof, while large chunks of ceiling laid on top the ground like monoliths sitting in a wasteland. The surrounding walls showed varied signs of erosion, from light scratches, to deep, compromising scars.

A strange object caught the edge of his eye: it was black, charred, like a large piece of charcoal. He ran over to it to have a closer look: he noticed two thin blades laying beside the object, singed to a toasty brown color.

“S-Scyther?” The pile of ash still had a recognizable form, and it still showed weak signs of breathing. But even just the softest touch from Oran sent the bug in a screaming frenzy, flailing about like he's gone mad from the pain.

He startled the Riolu into backing away immediately, tumbling onto his butt. For a few seconds Oran's heart galloped, calmed by a gulp of air.

The bug finally calmed from his tormented rampage. A mellow wave of guilt formed at the bottom of the jackal's stomach; Scyther would have been better off had he not decided to touch him. “Scyther,” Oran said to himself under a low voice, “who did this to you?”

He turned to his left, and spotted a massive hole that took up at least a third of the floor that he somehow missed. Lightly jogging toward it, he peered down from its edge: not much of the bottom was visible within the thick veil of darkness. Though it seemed shallow enough to jump in without much injury.

“ORAN! ORAN! COME BACK!” Loudred's roaring cries grew louder as he approached closer; from the sounds of it, he was almost to the entrance.

Oran gazed down the darkness once more. “If I let Loudred catch me, I won't find who did this,” he told himself. “No way I'm gonna let'em get away with this! If no one can beat these guys- then I will!” Lead by his determination to avenge his fallen home, the pup reeled back a step, before leaping into the crater of darkness.

“ORAN!” Loudred burst into the destroyed room, shouting for the little pup, but Oran didn't respond back. Light sweat soaked his lavender skin, giving it somewhat of a shine in the bright sunlight. His winded panting sounded more like disgruntled roaring. For just running a few miles, he felt like he was about to pass out.

His eyes scanned the miniature wasteland for the blue pup- nothing but sand, sand, and more sand. But he felt his stomach drop at the sight of a blackened, charred husk, sickening him that he immediately recognized it: Scyther. “O-OH, NO,” he told himself in a slight panic, shaking his head multiple times. “OH, NO-NO-NO-NO. THIS AIN'T GOOD; THIS AIN'T GOOD AT ALL. EVEN SCYTHER, THEY GOT SCYTHER, TOO?”

A discomforting groan from within the large hole tugged at the Normal-type's ears. Peeping down, he noticed the defiant Riolu hiding in the dark, rubbing his calves to massage the pain away. “ORAN,” his voice reverberated down the hole, somehow becoming louder than it naturally was, “ARE YOU OKAY, KID?”

“Y-yeah, I'm fine,” he answered back in a sore whimper. “I just hurt my legs a little; it's nothing much. This hole was deeper than I thought!”

“WELL THEN, GET YOUR BUTT BACK UP HERE,” the Normal-type told him. “YOU'LL BE SAFER UP HERE!”

Oran sprung back up to his feet, and argued back, “Well, I'm not doing this to be safe: I'm doing this to get back at whoever did this to the guild! Are you telling me you're just gonna let'em get away with this?”

“YES!” Loudred bluntly shouted.

“Where's your guild pride?” Oran asked.

“KID, WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT 'GUILD PRIDE'?” Loudred asked back. “WHAT YOU'RE DOING ISN'T GUILD PRIDE- IT'S SUICIDE! DIDN'T YOU SEE WHAT THEY DID TO AMBIPOM, SCYTHER, AND THE GUILDMISTRESS? YOU'LL-!”

“Yeah, I know- I'm gonna avenge'em!” Oran told him with a confident smile. “Don't worry, I'll save some bad guys for you, too; come down here, and join me!”

“NO THANKS,” the Loudred said, “I'D RATHER STAY UP HERE, AND HAVE YOU COME UP, SO I CAN CATCH YOU.”

“Suit yourself!” The Riolu didn't turn back. Even with the Normal-type calling for him several times more, warning him to come back, Oran blocked him out as he dashed deeper into the one-way tunnel.

Loudred stood motionless from the edge of the hole. He had one simple job- and he blew it. But the job itself wasn't what riled his nerves to hardened steel. “WELP, I TRIED,” he told himself. “I GUESS THIS IS THE END: WHEN LOPUNNY FINDS OUT ABOUT THIS, IT'LL BE GOODBYE ME, FOR SURE. WHAT A WAY TO BE DONE IN.”

Team Sharktooth landed themselves into a strange cave that emitted its own light, which eliminated any darkness that would otherwise be considered normal. They quickly concluded it was a Mystery Dungeon, though it was the smallest they've been in. A Graveler tried throwing them a welcome party; he became no more than a heap of rubble.

Piles of gold coin were spread in front of the dragons in small piles. The male Gabite's eyes widened slightly in surprise as he finished counting each one. “Whoa, fifty-thousand Poke,” he exclaimed in the most astonished tone he could muster, which could easily be misheard as sarcasm. “We were actually lucky, for once: we must have pillaged them on one of their good weeks.”

“Hmm,” the standing Garchomp on lookout hummed to himself. “No, it's still not enough.”

“What do you mean, 'this still isn't enough'?” Lono asked. “It's enough for us to retire right now, though I prefer to have a little more: Pele could blow through this all too easily-”

“Hey!” The sister jumped from her sitting position to approach her brother in a hostile manner. “If you got something to say, say it straight to my face!” Pele screamed above him.

Lono only gave her a side glance from his sleepy glare. “You're so loud,” he told her, “You don't need to blow your top off so close to me-”

“Stop arguing!” Ku burst into a furious roar almost loud enough to collapse the cave on top of their heads. “You two are getting on my very last nerve!” The twins remained silent to prevent from provoking him any further. After a moment Ku's burning, venomous glare softened to a collected calm, and he told them, “That Poke is not enough; I want more. We're not gonna stop until we hit every guild. We were sloppy the first time; this time we won't be.”

“Then let's hit Slowking Guild, next,” Lono suggested. “It's the closest one to Florges Guild. And from what I've heard, they're rolling in Poke- practically drowning in it-”

“We are hitting Machamp Guild, next,” Ku said.

“What? Why?” Lono demanded, raising his mellow voice to a somewhat frustrated growl. “They're located in the heart of the Espectro Badlands: even if we dig our way there, it's at least gonna take us a week to get there! Azul Shores will only take us about a day to get there, maybe even less! Don't tell me you want to go all the way to Espectro just because you're bored!”

“That is exactly my reason,” Ku told him. “Florges Guild left a bad taste in my mouth; they were weaker than I anticipated. I need something to rekindle my taste for battle- and Machamp Guild will do exactly that. I don't care how long it takes us to get there; it'll be worth watching that guild tumble and fall.”

A suspicious sound bellowed from their tunnel, like an intruder was trying to climb their way to them. A few seconds later, a strange dog-like Pokemon emerged, small in stature and clad in blue and black, with his crimson eyes hiding behind a mask-like fur pattern. “Whew, I finally made it,” the pup huffed, catching his energy from the elevated climb.

He stared down three hammerheads from the other side of the cave, all three looking back at him in various degrees of confused silence. Who was this strange Pokemon? For that matter, what was this strange Pokemon?

“You should head home to your mommy, little one,” Ku finally broke the silence. “If you came here to fight, it's not in your best interests. I've had enough weaklings to deal with to last me a while.”

“That's why I'm here,” Oran shouted at him, “you guys trashed my home pretty bad!” The young pup raised his fist to the dragon leader, and shouted once more, “None of the other members could stop you- but I will! Believe it or not, I had a dream like this, once: I faced a Pokemon that looked just like you, but with less scars. That was the first reason I wanted to fight you, because I couldn't finish that dream; now you gave me an even better reason! I won't let you get away with what you did to the guild!”

The Garchomp left himself in a stupefied daze, and his face froze in an expression unable to fathom the sheer idiocy he was fed. Something was loose in this child's head, he just knew it.

“Can you believe this kid?” Pele whispered to him. “The audacity on this one; it's just unbelievable!”

Ku broke free from his stupor, morphing his face into a listless grimace. He decided how to deal with the intruder: the boy wanted a fight, so he'll get his fight. “Very well, child,” Ku told him, “I will grant your wish to battle- just you and me.”

“Ku, you can't be serious-” Lono whispered to him.

“At least let me fight this pipsqueak,” Pele growled.

The Garchomp ignored them, continuing on, “I will give you one free shot- use any move you wish against me- make it count.”

The Riolu didn't even need to think about the move he was going to use. Blue mist swirled in between his paws, collecting and condensing into an orb the size of a grapefruit. It was no ordinary Aura Sphere: he poured all of his determination, all of his hopes of defeating the enemy within this one attack. Once ready, he let it loose in a blue blur, the sphere screamed with a loud whisper-like wail before burying the Garchomp in a violent explosion of dust and earth.

Lono's face froze agape, and his eyes widened from their tired gaze. “What an attack,” he said to himself, after witnessing his leader being smitten in front of him. “I didn't realize this Pokemon knew such a powerful technique.” Telling by his sister's same expression of surprise, they were on the same page for once.

A quiet, yet unsettling chuckle came from within the thick veil of earth. The dust settled, unraveling the Dragon-type with not a single scratch on his body. “Pathetic, I didn't even feel that,” Ku hissed at the pup.

“You were supposed to blow up!” Oran shouted, pointing at the dragon. “Why didn't you blow up?”

“I gave you a free shot, and you wasted it so casually,” he remarked. “Now, it's my turn.”

Lopunny's snoring roared through all of Unido. Taking a day off from her explorer duties she decided to spend it sleeping in- ever since this morning arrived, she fell into a heavy, coma-like slumber. Every now and then a girlish groan escaped her mouth, following her tossing and turning in bed from whatever indecent dream her lewd mind cooked up.

Something tickled the inside of her nose, irritating enough to disturb the Normal-type from her wonderful dreams; snorting only made it worse. Her thunderous sneeze rumbled the surrounding foundation, causing her to scramble around into sitting upright in a blink of an eye.

Her crimson eyes couldn't see a thing in her room: everything hid behind a dense fog of dust. “Ugh,” she groaned in disgust into her elbow, covering her mouth, “where did all this stuff come from? How long have I been breathin' this in?” Unrolling her cloak from its pillow form, she tied it around her nose and mouth, then walked out of her room.

“Oran? Pecha?” Lopunny called out, muffled by her mask, but no response returned. No matter where she went, the air was heavily laced with dust; It seemed to her the farther she walked into the guild, the more sand she tracked in her cream colored feet. “Ugh,” she groaned to herself, “so much sand laying around; I'd rather be in bed, than deal with this.”

She reached the end of the hallway, and the full horror kicked in: the entire assembly hall disappeared, turned into a field of rubble with only the walls remaining. Nurse Blissey roamed about with several of her Double Team duplicates, clearing debris, and pulling the unconscious bodies of both Delphox and Azumarill from the wreckage. One Blissey kept herself busy analyzing what looked to be a burned up, shriveled corpse, while a handful more gathered three bulky, bloodied tarps, laying each one side by side. The real nurse remained with the guildmistress, mending her left arm back in working condition underneath a strange pulse of energy.

“Whoa, what happened here?” Lopunny asked. “Did you guys throw a party? Without me?”

“LOPUNNY!” Loudred sprinted towards her as if his life depended on it. From the looks of him, he was short on breath, and about ready to suffer a nervous breakdown. “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN THIS ENTIRE TIME?”

“Sleeping,” she told him in a tired, disgruntled tone. “What did I miss?”

“THREE OUTLAWS CAME OUTTA NOWHERE, AND DESTROYED US- THAT'S WHAT!” Loudred shouted. “AND WORSE THAN THAT: ORAN RAN OFF TO FIGHT THEM ON HIS OWN! OUR BEST EXPLORERS COULDN'T EVEN SCRATCH THEM; WHAT DO YA THINK THEY'LL DO TO A KID LIKE HIM?”

“Yeah, that does sound kinda bad,” Lopunny replied, scratching her left cheek. “All right: I'll go get Oran, then.” She gazed to her right, spotting a ginormous gaping opening near the entrance to Verde Forest. “Lemme guess: he went down there, right?” she asked him, pointing at it.

“YEAH,” he said. “I TRIED STOPPIN' HIM, BUT HE JUST WOULDN'T LISTEN! I'M TELLIN' YA, THOSE OUTLAWS WILL BE TOO MUCH FOR HIM; HE'S GONNA END UP HURT, OR WORSE!”

“I gotcha, no need to say more! I'll go rescue him!” Darting for the hole, she hopped down its gullet, descending about thirty feet into its dark belly before hitting the bottom.
She glimpsed down its pitch black corridor, running faster than her like could muster towards the faint glimmer of light at the end. Her voice echoed, “And maybe while I'm at it, I'll even take care of those outlaws!”

From the dragon leaning slightly toward him, the Riolu knew he was about to do something. In a quick decision he reverted behind his arms, which were stiffly crossed in front of his chest in a defensive stance.

Ku smirked, recognizing the formation his opponent instantly adopted: his foe was attempting to Counter his attack. “Smart boy,” he said, “but you jumped too quickly to assumptions!” Swinging his right fin with tremendous force, he kicked up a ravenous Sand Tomb which devoured the blue pup in no less than a second.

He broke from his stance, moving his arms in front of his face to keep the rapid streams of dust from blinding him. Trapped inside a merciless vortex, he felt his body being stripped of his fur one strand at a time by the plucking sands.

All of a sudden the storm stopped, disappearing as if it never happened. By the time Oran opened his eyes and realized why, it was already too late: the Garchomp was just inches away from him, too close for him to react in time. The dragon swerved to his right, slamming the full girth of his tail into him, knocking him off his feet with little difficulty.

Oran was thrown as easily as a ball into a right side wall many feet away, the sudden collision taking most of the air out of his lungs as he flopped back on to the ground. He gasped loudly several times like a Magicarp out of water, grasping his throat.

Looking up with shaky eyes, the Garchomp was already towering above him. Ku spun around for another whip of his tail, throwing the young pup off the ground once again, and violently tumbling across the hard rock floor many feet away from him.

The impact knocked the wind right back into his lungs, but the pup's cerulean fur became dotted with innumerable scarlet scratches and cuts from skipping and rolling across the rugged surface. His breathing spotty and rough, Oran struggled to push himself back up to his feet, as if a tremendous weight was strapped to his back. Even as he stood, he seemed barely conscious, often fighting back a collapse; his determination alone kept him awake.

“You picked a fight with the wrong shark, boy,” the dragon told him.

Oran let out a desperate roar as he charged at the Mach Pokemon. While being flailed at his left knee, Ku felt nothing, not even a slight thumping from each hit, before punting the jackal away from him. “You disappoint me,” he told the Riolu, walking towards him from his side. “Where has all your pride gone? I wanted to see more of your ambition, but it was nothing but talk.”

Defeat never sat well with the child. While pushing himself off his belly his feeble arms trembled, ready to give in to his own weight. Blood dripped from the Riolu's snout onto the floor beneath in a little red puddle. Faint grunts of frustration and anger filled his breath, accompanying an occasional painful cough that left his throat aching after clearing.

Even with a young body as ragged and broken as his, he still remained adamant to fight; the boy confused desperation for gallantry. “You are a waste of my time,” Ku growled. “Now that I think about it, I don't know why I chose to battle a child, if there was really nothing to gain from it. At least that mutt and monkey put up something resembling a fight; killing you won't even be pleasurable.”

“You...you killed Ambipom,” he growled in a wrathful whisper. “You killed Granbull. You keep hurting my friends!” Oran roared to the sky, “There no way I'm gonna let you get away! No matter what I'll beat you, here and now-!”

Ku dropped his right foot like a sledgehammer on both of the Riolu's legs, crunching them between a hundred pounds of weight and the hard, rocky surface, silencing the pup for a moment. When the pain caught up, hurt accompanied his roar instead of rage, his cries for the pain to stop was like nails on a chalkboard. Tears fell out of his eyes like waterfalls, while he screamed at the top of his lungs, trying to rake his way out of the dragon's hold.

“It disgusts me watching someone cry during battle,” the dragon bellowed. “You wanted to fight me; the least you can do is have some dignity while in pain.” Slowly twisting his foot around, the jackal's screams grew to a deafening screech. Oran soaked the rock floor beneath in a heavy flow of tears, while the painfulness compelled his unrestrained body to flop about for freedom from the dragon's foothold; once again, his efforts were in vain.

“Enough crying!” the dragon exploded in a fit of rage. With all of his unbridled fury, he delivered a kick to the Riolu's stomach with almost enough power to break him in two. When the blue pup finally hit the floor ten feet away, he became unable to left himself back up to continue the fight. Instead he laid broken, with only the occasional muscle spasm to indicate he's still alive. “Pathetic,” Ku remarked.

He stepped closer to his beaten prey, his claws wishing to spill more blood to cure his displeasure. He had no qualms with having a child join his list of victims- he had it coming.

Just as he approached the broken pup for the finishing kill, the Gabite brother rushed to stand between his leader and his victim, wearing a mask of disapproval and disgust.

“Out of my way,” Ku demanded in a calm demeanor.

“Not not letting you kill this one,” Lono told him.

“Oh? Then tell me, are you going to finish him off for me?” the leader asked.

“Watching you kill all those Pokemon was one thing,” Lono said. His usually laid back tone erupted in a roar of anger, “but this is a child you are wanting to kill! Does he really need to die just because he made a stupid decision to fight you?”

“Yes,” The Garchomp said bluntly. “He was wanting to fight me: this is merely his punishment. Are you going to stop me?”

the Gabite hesitated to speak, deciding to first gulp down his nerves. “I'll try,” he muttered. “I'm done playing outlaw with you; I'm done watching other Pokemon suffer because of us! If you want to kill this child, first, you have to get through me-!”

Ku made sure he made his disobedient team member regret those words. In a heavy, yet swift motion, he swung at the Gabite with the back of his right claw like a hammer to his rib cage, throwing the smaller dragon out of his sight.

Fifteen feet away the Gabite crashed back onto the hard surface back first. He coughed into the ground beneath him, splattering it with little droplets of blood. He gritted his teeth together as he pushed himself back up, but a sharp, stabbing pain in his chest kept him pinned to the floor.

“Don't be so impatient to die, Lono,” Ku told him, “you'll have your turn: after I'm finished with the child, I'll kill you next.”

A suspicious sound of quick footsteps came from the tunnel Ku dug earlier- another guest was soon to be expected. A blur shot straight from the tunnel's mouth, and soon after, a Lopunny landed back onto the cave floor with the grace of a trained gymnast. Even in this cavern she couldn't escape the heavy blanket of dust wafting in the air, heavy enough to fog up her vision somewhat. But what she could make out was her son, appearing broken and near death to her laying on the ground, with a hulking dragon towering over him.

“Hey, you,” she shouted at the Garchomp, pointing straight at him, “get away from my son!”

“Oh? So this odd creature is your son?” Garchomp asked. “Funny, I don't recall Buneary looking like this. But no matter: he wanted to fight me, and I obliged him. Sadly, I'm not in the mood for company.” He the remaining Gabite, “Pele, be a good girl, and take care of our unwanted guest.”

“Right!” Pele charged straight for the Normal-type, accompanied by a fierce battle cry.

In a blink of an eye, Lopunny disappeared in a bright light blueish flash, and suddenly Pele's body went numb, and was unable to move. It happened in a blink of her eye and didn't feel anything, but she found herself encased in a thick chunk of ice, with only her head being able to move freely. “H-hey! How did you do this?” Pele wiggled about frantically, but it wasn't enough to loosen herself out of the ice. “This isn't funny,” she shouted, “it's actually starting to get really cold! Get me out of here!”

The downed Gabite watched with amazement. His sister may not have seen what happened, but his eyes were able to identify the move: an Ice Beam, weaker than most he's seen, but it served its purpose.

Underneath his angered grimace, the incident lit some intrigue into Ku, though he refused to show it through his perpetual frown.

“I'll tell you one last time,” the Lopunny warned in a stern tone, “get away from my son.”

She could make all the warnings she wanted to him, he knew she was just a Lopunny: her kind was below him. What was the worst she could do? “And if I refuse-?”

In under a second she appeared before him as if teleporting to him, lodging her right foot into his chest, too fast to react to. The kick shot him into the face of a cave wall, digging him deep enough to meld with it.

The look on Lono's face witnessing it morphed from surprise to utter terror, his eyes shooting wide open and jaw dropping to the floor. One second he saw Ku, and in a blink of an eye, he disappeared into a side of the cave. Never had he seen the kind of power she displayed: even Dragon-types had to train for years to even reach that kind of strength. Just thinking about what else she was capable of sent an arctic chill down his back, distracting him from the stabbing pain of his broken rib.

Lopunny kneeled down to Oran, who still remained a twitching husk. Both his legs were flat and crinkled from the knees down like paper cutouts plastered below his hip. She held him in her gentle caress, feeling the tears form behind her eyes at the unsightly mess that dragon turned her son into. Stripping her lower face of its makeshift mask, she bundled the Riolu in her cream colored cloak, and pinning her explorer badge to keep the wrapping from uncoiling. She tapped its brilliant sapphire eye, and her son vanished from her hold in a blinding glare.

Slowly getting up from her knees, she started walking to the tunnel back to the guild. A voice cried out to her, “Hey, you! Help me out!” She turned around, now realizing the beaten Gabite she missed earlier laying on his belly across the stone surface. “Can you help me, please?”

“You one of the outlaws, huh?” Lopunny asked. “Why should I help you out-?”

“Because if it weren't for me, your son would have already!” Lono shouted in the strongest voice he mustered. “Look, be mad with us all you want: but if you help me out, I'll turn myself in; I'll tell the authorities everything I know!” A dry, troublesome cough interrupted his plea, irritating his throat. “Just before you showed up, I defended that Pokemon from him- that's why I look like this, now. The least you can do is help me out!”

“Rrgh.” An angered growl escaped from the Garchomp, catching the Lopunny by surprise that he was still alive. He peeled out from his earthly mold, planting his knees into the solid ground below. Blood spilled into a growing puddle around his knees from his now opened chest scar, ruptured wide apart at its seam from the kick he earlier received, with some trickling down his bottom jaw, in between his jagged teeth. “And where do you think you're going?” he snarled at her in a weak undertone.

“Back to the guild,” she replied. “I already did what I came to do, so there's no reason to stay. But I gotta admit, you're a pretty tough guy if you can take one of my kicks the way you did. Props for that.”

The Garchomp's scowl turned to a toothy grin, exploding into a fit of disturbing chuckles that echoed throughout Pequeño Cave, and not long after a moment, the giggles evolved into roars of laughter.

“What's so funny?” she asked, feeling left out from the joke.

“This pain,” he told her in a jagged smile, “it's finally starting to sink in. It's been so long since I last felt something like this.” His heart galloped like a wild stampede of Bouffalant, a feeling he thought long went extinct. Each beat stretched that toothy smile more and more, allowing him to soak in the adrenaline his mortal wound brought.

“What power you have,” he praised the Normal-type, an acknowledgment he rarely gave out. “In all my years, I haven't met a single Pokemon with strength like yours. I never knew a Lopunny, of all Pokemon, was capable of such power! For most of today, I failed to find a single battle that satisfied me. But in a single moment you made prey out of me- and it excites me! Stay and finish the job; show me more of that power of yours! Don't hold back!”

Ku lunged forward, soaring above the floor like a jet. He was hooked on a single taste of the Lopunny's strength, and he wanted more. As respect for his opponent he held nothing back, because she gave him something he searched long and hard for: a worthy foe.

Last edited:
Hey,

One thing I noticed about your style this time around is that you tend to overuse exclamation points. I've found that there aren't really many uses for them in stories as they tend to be more distracting than accentuating. Maybe one per thousand words, or something, could work but they probably shouldn't be used so frequently.

Another thing to note is that in the last chapter you would often say something in narration and then have a character say something to that affect. Or have characters essentially give narration in the form of dialogue when they really shouldn't. This really became jarring for me during the Ambipom fight where Ambipom essentially called his attacks and then you casually gave some of Ku's backstory in narration only for him to immediately say more or less the same thing.

Other than that, action was good. I'll give you credit for that. Once the fight reached the cave at the end I thought it reached its best quality. So I look forward to seeing how that gets resolved.

Another thing to note is that in the last chapter you would often say something in narration and then have a character say something to that affect. Or have characters essentially give narration in the form of dialogue when they really shouldn't.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm really bad at this. This'll be one of the things I'll either fix before I archive the story as complete, or try to avoid it while writing the next one.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while guys. Since I actually found a job this February, I've been kinda hardpressed to find the time to actually write. And whenever I do get days off I forget to write and update.

But I haven't given up on the story. Chapter 10 is still in its early development, but won't be out for a while longer.

Chapter 10

When the sounds of destruction subsided, the remaining members returned to see their guild reduced to a giant sand trap. The grassy floor was underneath an ocean of beige earth, and the destroyed bits of ceiling stuck out from the ground like jagged teeth. It was like walking into a ruin forgotten and abused by time.

Nurse Blissey worked herself to near death managing the dead and wounded; aside from the whistling of the coming breeze, all the returning members heard was her ordering herself around. Three large cocoons of cloth were laid side by side where the request board used to be, two of them heavily soaked in blood. Of the five wounded and unconscious, she laid them in the middle of the room.

Among the wounded, Assistant-Guildmistress was given the lightest treatment, hiding her many cuts underneath simple bandages. The worst she had to deal with were the numerous dark purplish spots dotting the cerulean section of her body.

After laying her completely flat, Blissey hovered her flippers above Delphox's lower stomach, where a large gash stretching across her wide waist resided.

“You might feel a slight burn,” Blissey told her. A brilliant glow emitted from her hands. Delphox clenched her jaws shut, holding down a distressed growl. It was like the nurse held the open flame of a Charizard's tail close to her abdomen. But the longer she endured the harsh burning sensation, the more her flesh wound shrunk. Within no time, the deadly affliction became a simple graze across her epidermis, until disappearing completely.

Delphox relaxed her head on the wall behind her. “Thank you,” she said to the nurse under an exhausted, yet relieved huff.

“Just rest up, for now,” Blissey told her. “You've lost a lot of blood; you may be light headed for a little while, so I don't recommend you do any heavy physical activity.”

Her little Fennekin pup ran to her mother's side, curling herself into a little yellow and red ball of fur in her limp left arm. “Mother,” she squeaked with mist forming in her eyes, “are you going to be okay?”

“I'm fine now, little one,” Delphox told her, raking her in closer to her, “just a little sore.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Nngh.” The guildmistress felt a strange sensation like pins and needles fill her arm, causing her to wake up. The harsh brightness of the afternoon day stabbed her into the back of her brain like a well placed knife, causing her to shade herself with her right arm until her sight adjusted. “What happened?”

“Good afternoon, Guildmistress.” The nurse's soft voice caught the dazed Fairy-type's ear. “Hold still, I'm almost done.” Her vision was still a bit fuzzy, but from what she could make out, the Blissey had her broken left arm in a gentle caress. A healing pulse of energy surged through it, reconstructing the broken bits of her limb into a whole bone like puzzle pieces being put together. When she let go, Florges moved her arm a little: aside from a numb ache lingering in her upper arm, it was back in proper working order!

“Thank you, nurse,” Florges said in a grateful sigh, “I don't know what we would do without you.”

“I can name a few things,” she answered back, “but you wouldn't like them. Just rest easy, don't push yourself too hard.”

Florges rested her head against the wall, sighing an exhausted huff. Gazing around the assembly hall, her heart crawled down her stomach after seeing what those barbarians did to her guild. Covering her mouth with her hands, a consuming emptiness overpowered her, seeing most of her pride and joy reduced to just bits of rock. Though only the assembly hall suffered damage, to her, it felt like all of it was destroyed.

“What's the matter?” the nurse asked.

“I don't know what I'm going to do,” the guildmistress huffed, wiping the water from her eyes. Under a strong sniffle, she continued, “Some of my best explorers are dead; our guild is ruined; what am I going to do? How am I going to rebuild it? We've lost so much in so little time- I don't know how to deal with this!” She sunk into her lap, sobbing to herself.

“There, there,” Blissey told her, patting her on the back, “you'll eventually work things out.”

Four Blissey hovered over Scyther's burnt carcass. His entire body was one large third degree burn, his exoskeleton was almost pitch black instead of mint green. He wore himself out from his flailing for now, but whenever they touch him, he would still jerk back in pain. Every time he took a faint breath, it came out as a weak wheeze.

“This isn't good,” one Blissey said, “he's in critical condition.”

“You're telling me,” another Blissey replied. “The bad thing is: our Heal Pulse won't do anything against burns.”

“But we can use it to mitigate some of the pain,” the fourth replied.

“Good idea,” the Blissey occupying his legs complimented. “If we do that, we won't hurt him as much when we move him to the medical bay. Then when we settle him there, we can start applying herbs to reduce the burns.”

“Maybe we can collapse one of the sick beds to use as some sort of stretcher?” The Blissey near his head asked.

“Yes, good idea,” Blissey said, “go do that real quick.”

The Blissey near his head left her spot, hustling her way to her office.

The land shark zoomed towards Lopunny in a streak of sand. His left claw burned in a harsh orange color, poised to strike. She leaped out of his range to the left. The Dragon Claw missed, striking the ground instead with a thunderous crash. Buried deep in the rock, he pulled his talon out of its crater.

A light bluish glare caught him in his good eye. He turned around. Crouching, the rabbit fired a straight beam of ice at him. Ku responded, kicking a maelstrom of sad with just a single waft of his right fin.

Dirt and ice collided, fusing to become a twisted, warped barrier of frozen earth separating the two.

With the howling of both attacks simmered down, all had gone quiet for Lopunny. She heard no more heavy grunts from her opponent. “What is he up to?” she said to herself, trying to read her opponent's next move.

She heard screaming, a voice shouting the same thing over and over. “He's below you,” Lono shouted at the top of his voice, “below you! Move out of the way!”

By the time she caught his message, she already felt a rumble beneath her feet growing in intensity. She leaped to her right to escape her reappearing opponent's surprise attack. A geyser of rock and dirt exploded from behind, and razor sharp teeth clamped down on her right ankle, cutting to the very bone.

In the air Ku twirled with his prey in his mouth, letting go to throw her into the barrier of ice. Lopunny slammed into the frozen wall back first, bellowing an agonizing yelp as one of its icy prongs impaled her straight through her side. The icicle snapped from holding her weight, and she fell flat on the ground, her left side soaked in red from her wound.

Now was his chance. Ku dashed toward her, his right claw raised up high. But again, the slippery Lopunny barely avoided his assault by leaping out of his way. He struck the wall of ice, shattering it completely in to just hunks of frozen block. “Why are you avoiding me?” the dragon asked in a calm tone masked by bloodthirsty rage.

She didn't answer him at first. She groaned in discomfort, slowly pulling the icicle from her back. An extra squeal left her mouth when she freed the chunk of ice; her blood lightly coated it from its tip to its middle. “It's called strategy,” she wheezed, throwing the shard to the ground.

“With strength like yours, it's a waste,” he growled. “I didn't choose to fight you so you can showcase your acrobatic skills. I am showing my respect for you by giving you all I got; I expect you to do the same-!” He waved his right fin, summoning a ravenous vortex of sand.

“Another Sand Tomb,” Lopunny grunted to herself, “like I would fall for that again!”

“This is the end for you!” Ku's left claw took up its familiar orange glow, as he dashed for the tornado. He slashed into it, but when the dust cleared, nothing was inside the Sand Tomb. “What?” His eye opened wide. “How could it have missed?” Ku growled between his clenched teeth.

It dawned on him. Looking up he saw her, several feet in the air. She kicked her left foot out in front of her, while descending back down as fast as a shooting star. Ku threw himself out of her way, avoiding the impact as she crashed down to the earth, leaving a small crater in her wake.

Lopunny tumbled to her side, growling while holding her left shin tightly. A sharp, stabbing pain ran from her foot to just below her knee. Putting weight on it as she attempted to stand made the pain flare up even worse, and she tumbled back down.

“So careless,” Ku remarked, looming over her, “you broke your leg. I'll admit, you're one of the few able to escape my Sand Tomb. It's a shame I have to put you down so soon.” Ku raised his left claw, readying it for the killing blow.

“Please-”

Ku stopped his talon from diving into the Lopunny. She turned around, staring at him with her soft crimson eyes. Her outstretched body laid innocently across the floor, with her chest puffed out. “You don't want to hurt me, do you, Mr. Dragon?” she asked in a tender voice.

He lowered his claw. Looking at her brought a strange sense of calmness to the Dragon-type. Each heartbeat filled him with a gentle and close warmth he forgot long ago. She watched all of his aggression dissolve off his face, leaving behind a submissive grimace. “N-no,” he told her back in a depressed voice, “I don't want to hurt you.”

Lopunny ran her left paw across her chest, playing with her short yet soft fur between her fingers. “I wish I could get up,” she said to him under a flirtatious smile, “but I'm very injured. I need a big, strong Pokémon to help me back up.”

“I'm big and strong,” he replied back. “I'll help you back u-” he flinched back a step, cradling his head between his claws. “N-no,” Ku growled repeatedly while shaking his head, as if trying to shake some maddening voice out of his mind, “no!” Lashing out, he drove his shin deep into her side, tossing her across the cave like a ball thrown at full force.

Lopunny rolled across the hard, rocky floor as her body came to a halt at the other end of the cave. She lifted herself up on all fours, though feeling a bit shaken and breathless. A severe bruise numbed her lower abdomen, while a burning dryness flared in her chest from coughing so many times. “Guess some boys just can't handle me,” She huffed to herself, wiping her mouth dry of saliva.

Ku flailed about as if he went mad, his feral roars almost reaching deafening levels. His furious gaze fixated on the rabbit, the blood thirst in his golden eye burned away what little shreds of respect he had for her. “You,” the dragon hissed, “how dare you defile me!”

Ku's footsteps thundered down the cave as he sprinted for the downed Lopunny, looking to put her down for good. Both of his talons illuminated the settling dust-filled air with an orange hue. Before she had time to react, he was already on top of her. He swung his left claw down first- Lopunny caught it before it sank into her shoulder. He took another swing with his right, and once again, she caught it.

Lopunny held his attacks by his wrists, but her arms felt like they were about to snap under the dragon's immense weight. Fatigue started to sink in, allowing her strength to fail her and the dragon's claws to slip closer. The heat coming off his Dragon Claws was intense, like they were steel daggers fresh out of a furnace. At this rate, she couldn't tell which was about to give in first: her arms, her legs, or her back.

“Give in, already!” Ku demanded, pushing down harder on the struggling Normal-type. “This fight is over- I've won! So stop struggling, and just die!”

Lopunny refused to lose, refused to let this monster walk away from what he did to her son. While bearing his weight on her shoulders she slowly rose to her feet; her left leg screamed in pain, but she had to ignore it. She threw his talons off of her to her left, causing the brute to stagger; in his moment of lost poise, Lopunny delivered a swift punch to his jaw, feeling it fracture beneath her knuckle. She held him tight by his hammer-like appendages, then drove his snout into her left knee.

He stumbled back a few steps; broken growls of pain left Ku as he stomped at the ground. He lifted his face from behind his arms: streams of blood emptied out from his nose, while the right side of his jaw was somewhat slanted. That punch was harder than he expected; even his opponent flicked her hand and flexed her digits, checking to see if she didn't break anything again. “I spoke too soon about you,” he told her in a numbed voice, “you still got some fight in you. But it's going to take more than a few dirty tricks to stop me!”

“Then I'll just cool off that hot head of yours!” Lopunny put her hands together, and let loose a straight beam of ice heading for the Dragon-type.

Thinking fast Ku hid himself behind his right fin as he took the Ice Beam; a thick cloud of chilling mist enveloped the dragon as the beam continued to flow. She won't let up until the dragon was nothing but an ice statue. But her weakened leg gave in, causing her to collapse back onto her knees and stop the attack.

After her struggle passed, she caught her breath. Her body hurt from the waist down, but she now had the time to let the pain settle for a moment. That Garchomp was unlike any Pokémon she fought before; none of the others were able to keep her on her toes for so long. But this was one fight she would be glad to forget about. After a quick breath she tried getting back up, again. Everything ached as she limped towards the cave's exit; she knew for sure this was the last fight she'll have for a while.

“What a shame.” The voice stopped Lopunny in her tracks, and her heart dropped. She looked back: the icy veil soon dissipated, revealing the Dragon-type. All of his right arm was encased in ice like a cast, along with some of the right side of his body, its trail stretching as high as the bottom of his chin; the ice went far enough to even enclose some of his ruptured chest wound. For a dragon he didn't look too bothered by its cold, numbing sting. “If you kept going, you might have won,” he told her.

“You're still kicking?” Lopunny asked.

“I've been through worse,” Ku replied. “It was smart targeting me with an Ice-type attack, but it's going to take more than a little frost to defeat me!” Without hesitation, Ku slammed both his arms together in a scissor motion, shattering his right arm off like it was made of brittle glass.

Both Lopunny and Lono shared their shock, speechless as they watched him stomp on the ice chunks that used to be his arm. If Ku did it to catch their attentions, he certainly had them. He made it clear to them this wasn't the first time he was willing to sacrifice a body part to win.

“Hey, why'd you do that?” Lopunny asked. “Now you're missing something on both sides!”

He responded with a toothy smirk and chuckle. “I could tell you,” he replied, “but I'd rather show you- up close!”

Chapter 11

Those affected by the battle migrated to the medical ward, with the help of the nurse. It was a quaint room somewhat larger than the average quarters the guild provided, with little to get in the way of her work besides her materials, and several sick beds lining its walls. Despite her Heal Pulse healing some of her patients' wounds, she wanted to analyze their conditions more thoroughly for signs of shock her technique couldn't treat.

She laid the guildmistress down first by the right-hand wall, with her assistant right beside her; Delphox, and later Scyther and Oran, were placed gently along the left wall. Most of the more delicate medical attention went to the Bug-Type, as the nurse's Double Team clones started applying Rawst juice over some of his crusty exterior, while the rest had nothing more than a few examinations.

The Riolu laid in his cot motionless, as if he was taking a power nap. Underneath the nurse's healing rays his flattened legs started popping back into their original forms, as if they never broke in the first place. Pecha watched in a slightly disgusted intrigue, listening to what sounded to her like his tibia's being broken in reverse. It fascinated her, but at the same time, it left a nauseating pit in her stomach; good thing she never had plans of becoming a nurse when she grew up.

“All right,” the nurse sung in a happy tune, “he's all fixed up, good as new!”

“But why isn't he waking up?” Pecha asked her, pointing at his closed eyes.

“Sometimes Pokémon will faint from just the pure shock of pain,” Blissey educated her. “It'll take some time: maybe he'll wake up in the next few seconds; maybe he'll wake up in the next few days?”

“D-days?” she squeaked.

“Days, sometimes months,” Blissey continued. “In fact, I've even seen one or two Pokémon not wake up at- oh?” She peered down, and saw the Buneary stand there in sniveling silence. She was struck with a bad shivering fit, her paws continually trying to wipe the tears from her eyes.

Looking at her, Blissey realized she went a little too far with her story. She wrapped her flippers around the distressed rabbit, holding her close, in an attempt to comfort her. “It's gonna be okay,” she told her in a motherly whisper, “I'm sure he's strong enough to pull through it.”

Pecha continued to cry, her wails muffled by the Blissey's round stomach. “I-I didn't think he would do it,” she said. “I heard him argue with Loudred, but I didn't actually think he would do it! It-it's my fault he ended up like this! Ambipom, Scyther, Oran; If I wasn't so focused on those stupid iron barbs, I would have-!”

“That's enough, now,” she told her, pulling her in closer, “you don't need to blame yourself so harshly. If you stand by him, I bet he'll recover out of this as if it never happened!”

Pecha paused from her sobbing, to look up at the nurse with watery eyes, “Y-you really think so?”

Blissey nodded. “Of course.”

The Buneary sunk her head back into the nurse's stomach. Though her tears still flowed slowly, she felt the weight on her chest lighten up a little. Maybe the nurse was right, she just needed to stick by him. Maybe that would help him wake up faster.

Lono's broken rib kept him pinned to the floor in pain. His and Pele's eyes were glued to the fight in front of them, watching as it devolved from a fight between equal individuals to a long-winded struggle between predator and prey. He wondered how long they've been at it: ten minutes? Twenty minutes? He was lucky the fight never drifted towards them; he had to get away before that happened.

“Pele, we need to get out of here, somehow,” he told his sister, his voice shook with worry.

“What? How are we gonna do that?” She asked him back.

“Try your Flamethrower to thaw yourself out,” Lono told her.

“O-okay.” Pele wiggled her head back and forth, trying to find a decent angle to aim her attack with. The ice kept her neck stiff and locked in place; wiggling was all she could do. She stopped, letting out a large breathe, “I can't do it,” she told her brother in defeat. “I can't get a good angle! My Flamethrower won't be able to come into contact with the ice.”

“All right, lemme try something.” Lono's arms shook as he lifted his heavy torso off the ground, a discomforting groan slipped through his clenched teeth; he managed to get on all fours, but nothing more. His chest burned, his lungs felt ready to pop if he took too big a breath.

As the fighters occupied each others' attention, he crawled over to his frozen twin sister while the pain in his chest stabbed at him with each inch he made. He perched himself against the block of ice, and started to chip away at her prison with his right claw.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!” she screamed at him. “What do you think you're doing?”

“Breaking you out,” he told her, “do you want out or not? I'm not leaving here without you.”

“But you might turn me into Pele cubes-!”

“Better than Ku turning you into Pele steaks,” Lono quipped. He hammered away at the ice, chipping off chunk after chunk, watching the crack in its shell grow with each strike.

With his remaining arm Ku summoned another stream of sand to engulf Lopunny in. She memorized his routine: the Sand Tomb itself was just a diversion. After which, he would either go straight for a Dragon Claw, or a surprise attack with Dig. “Sand Tomb again?”

Before the ravenous storm reached her, the Lopunny leaped straight up, thinking she was safe from his attack. To her surprise the dragon followed her into the air, where she left herself open. A brutal uppercut to her chest painted the air in a fine rain of red mist. Her yelp caught the Gabites' attention, and they watched both fighters crash back down to the floor.

Ku felt weak in his knees, wobbling for a moment after landing. His vision blurred for a quick second or two, disoriented by a rush of lightheadedness before shaking it off; after pushing himself to defeat his opponent for so long, the loss of blood started to take it's toll.

He stepped over to the Lopunny's left side. She sprawled out across the hard, rocky floor, unable to move from landing on her back. A large gash from where he stuck her stretched across her chest, her brown fur turning red from soaking up excessive amounts of blood.

Something light tapped him on the head. He looked up out of curiosity: small pebbles fell from the ceiling. During his fights, his Sand Tombs worsened the pre-existing cracks in the walls; the cave could collapse on top of him with just the lightest touch.

“Ku,” Lono's grading voice called out to him, “there's not much time left! Forget about that Lopunny for a second, and help us es-!”

“I thought you killed over already,” he replied agitated. “No matter, after I'm finished with this rabbit, I'll finish you off properly.” He raised his right foot over her rib cage, ready to put her down for good.

Another rush of lightheadedness disoriented the Garchomp. His vision blurred, one Lopunny split into several others, it was hard to keep focus on the real one. Keeping his foot elevated over her chest proved difficult, growing heavy from his declining strength, and hovering listlessly with little control. The ground crushed underneath his stomp when he decided to bring it down, but the attack missed her chest by a few inches. He lifted it back up, and went for another stomp- another miss.

Lono cried out to him, “are you even listening? Forget about her, the cave is gonna-!”

Before he could finish his sentence, a large chunk of rock the size of a Tyranitar plummeted down from the ceiling, crushing the Garchomp in a blink of an eye. Lono stared at it in dumbfounded shock, it happened so fast. The thought scared him: the same could happen to him at any moment, and it would flatten him quicker than he could realize he was hit.

“Lono, you idiot, quit gawking at the stupid thing,” his sister barked, snapping him out of his trance. “Get me outta this thing! Do you want us to end up like him?”

“R-right.” His sister had a point- time was running out. The longer he stood there paralyzed, the less time they had to escape.

The giant headstone that marked his leader's demise exploded, shattered into dust and pebbles. The Gabite twins drew their eyes toward the Garchomp, who demolished the boulder with one swing of his claw. They thought he was crushed- the rock only fell in front of him.

“I've had enough of you,” Ku told Lono, his calm demeanor masking his rising anger. “Every time I hear you speak, it's like listen to a crying Whismur up close. Just the sight of you now disgusts me to my core,” he said while pointing to his open chest scar. “I've become weak from losing so much blood, but I still have enough strength to kill y-!”

Something climbed onto his back. One of their tiny arms coiled and tightened around his neck, and the other tucked underneath his left arm, pulling him back with all their weight. “Get off me!” He flung himself around to try and break free from the Lopunny's hold, but she stuck to him like glue. Even while being thrown about in the air like a sac of feathers, she kept her grasp tight.

“You guys,” she called out to the Gabite twins, “Get out outta here as fast as you can! I'll try to keep him busy!”

Pele yelled back, “Are you nuts? The cave will collapse on top of you!”

“I know,” Lopunny shouted. “If it means keeping this psychopath from hurting more Pokémon, from hurting my kids, it's something I have to do! Hurry, get outta here-! ”

“I told you to get off me!” Ku struck the Lopunny in the face with his elbow, loosening her grip enough to throw her over his shoulder.

Slamming onto the hard surface back first stunned Lopunny, knocking the air out of her lungs for a moment. She opened her eyes to the dragon's foot plummeting straight down toward her head. Rolling to her right, his stomp missed her, the rock beneath his foot shattered like frail glass.

Lopunny performed what looked like a strange dance move to get back on her feet, hopping forward to stand on her hands before launching herself in the other direction like a spring. Wobbly, she stumbled backwards a bit while landing, trying to regain a steady posture. But her weight tipped her to fall on her knees, with one hand grasping over her bleeding wound.

“You're a real nuisance to kill,” Ku told her.

Underneath her winded pants, she gave the dragon a faint smirk and replied, “I consider that a good thing.”

Working at an exhausted rhythm, Lono carved away at his sister's frozen shell. His right claw sank deeper with each strike, breaking larger chunks from the mass, but it still wasn't enough to free her. He stopped, huffing on the ice while pressing against it, the jagged pain in his chest began to overwhelm him.

“Lono, what do you think you're doing?” Pele barked. “Breathing on it won't get us nowhere! Stop goofing around!”

“You try doing this with a broken rib,” Lono replied in a pained huff.

By the second more debris from the ceiling fell like hail, some barely the size of pebbles, others big enough to cave a Pokémon's head in on impact. The cave itself groaned in agony, with cracks climbing up its crumbling walls, creating even more hazards to avoid.

“Lono, we don't have time for this,” Pele shrieked, “get me outta this thing! Hurry!”

He returned to his routine of breaking large amounts of ice from Pele's restraint, carving into the crater he created in the ice. His chest continued to scream in pain for him to stop, and arms burned with fatigue, but if he and his sister want to survive, he had to suppress it back for a few more moments.

He raced against the crumbling state of the cave, more and more debris fell from above with no telling where they'd land. Clawing at the frozen mass, he managed to carve a Pele-shaped cavity into her casing, though she was still contained in its grasp.

“Lono, hurry up,” she told him, “I can't handle this any longer!”

“Just,” he huffed, “hold on for just, a second!” Lono cleared most of the front side of the iceberg; all that's left was to pull his sister out from her mold. He hooked his claws from behind her shoulders, pulling with a tender tug that gradually increased in harshness.

“Ow, ow, ow!” Pele didn't realize how well ingrained she was into the ice. Like a slowly removed bandage plucking off a few arm hairs, being gradually split from her mold took a few scales off her shoulders and back, though her dorsal fin slid out with little confrontation. With her arms and legs freed one at a time, she plopped on top of her brother, a heavy groan of discomfort leaving his mouth.

She barked to his face, “You could have done it a lot quicker than that, you idiot!”

Underneath a pained breathe, he replied, “Get off, you're hurting me.”

As much as she wanted to get off, Pele couldn't. The ice had drained all of her strength from her body, her muscles were numb and cold. The best she could do was strain herself to roll off his fractured chest, after which she laid on the ground, vulnerable to the cave's fall.

She couldn't feel it, but Lono wrapped his left claw around her middle frame, helping her stand as her crutch. Her weight pushed down on his chest, the stabbing sensation returning to torment him. Lono refused to move, but not because the pain paralyzed him.

“Lono, what are you doing?” She asked. “Go!”

“I'm thinking,” he said, his voice crackling in discomfort. He pointed his snout toward the Dungeon's tunnel, and said, “We can't exit that way: the cave will collapse on top of us by the time we get there.” His eyes traveled to the burrow his team dug, several yards away from the exit, “We can't exit through there, either: that's a thirty foot drop.”

“I'd rather break my neck from a fall than get caved on,” She told him in a harsh manner.

Lono would have joked about how she could only feel from the neck up, but time was slipping out of his grasp. “Then it's settled, I guess,” he muttered, carrying his heavy sister over to the hole where they entered through.

Broken and exhausted, Lopunny struggled to defend against the Garchomp. She collapsed to her knees gripping her scar, hoping to stop the blood pouring profusely from her chest. her head felt light like a Drifloon, and the room started to spin around her. It was a miracle she was even breathing, despite each huff for air being thin.

Ku loomed over her like a scarred tower. “I win,” he boasted to her. “You gave me a good fight, I'll admit; the fun's over, now. Prepare to die.”

After a few short gasps, she broke away from her pain for just a moment to ask, “You keep saying you'll kill me, but why haven't you done it yet? Don't say you grew attached to me.”

“Don't worry about that,” he said, raising his remaining claw up high. “For now- worry that I'll grant your request.”

While focusing on his talon, Lopunny's eyes caught a glimpse of something in the background, and she knew immediately what they were- the next batch of rocks falling from above- and they seemed big enough to crush even a steel-type flat. If she could push the Garchomp underneath their paths, she'd end this long-winded battle once and for all.

She roared at the dragon, “I take back my request!” With the last of her strength, she hopped into the air, driving both of her feet into Ku's chest with a quick drop kick. The ice covering his scar broke wide open, spraying driblets of blood as all air in his lungs escaped him. He stepped back several steps, stumbling to his knees as his breathing returned.

A growing shadow encompassed him, taking his attention. His eyes opened wide, gazing at the large chunks of death raining down on top of him, at a rate too quick to avoid. Before he knew it, the stones crushed him underneath their weight, burying him instantly under their mound.

Lono, with his sister wrapped around his shoulder, was near the hole where they entered from, when he felt a tremor from the earthy rain. Before they could turn their heads around to witness Ku's burial, the ground beneath gave in without warning, causing them to plummet into the hole.

Lopunny laid on her stomach, barely conscious enough to breathe. Her body was numb from pain and exhaustion, not a single muscle could move; it'd be a miracle if they could even twitch. “I-I'm spent,” she spoke slowly to the ground. “I can't get back to the guild; I'm gonna be buried here.”

Her eyes welled up with tears, the streams were soaked up by her delicate fur. She howled as if her heart was broken in many pieces, muddying the ground around her head with a rampant flood. “I'm stupid,” she screamed in realization, “I'm stupid for letting this happen! Why didn't I just escape the fight, and get back to my kids? I deserve every bit of this!” She calmed herself from her screams, though her sniffling and huffing still rang through the crumbling cave. “I'm sorry, Oran. I'm sorry, Pecha,” she whimpered. “I became too careless, this time. Please: grow up for me.” Pequeño Cave couldn't bare its own weight anymore and collapsed, burying Lopunny with the last of its ruin.

Pitch black darkness. The cave-in sealed all light from streaming down the escape hole. It's narrow walls did a good job from keeping most of the ruin from reaching the twins, though the interior creaked in stress.

Lono's closed eyes twitched every time he was pecked in the forehead by a small pebble, though it wasn't enough to open them. A softball-sized stone struck him in his right eye, causing him to jolt up in pain. “O-ow!” He gave his injured eye a little rub and a few blinks; his left eye could see perfectly well in the dark, but the vision in his right was foggy. His eyelids wanted to latch closed, and so he let them. “That hurt,” he groaned to himself, giving it another gentle rub.

He spotted his sister, Pele, unconscious not too far from him to his left. He crawled toward her; despite his dragon body being built to endure punishment, falling from thirty feet with a broken rib didn't put him in a comfortable position. At least she was lucky enough to have her body numbed.

At first glance, when he got close to her, she seemed to not move at all; maybe she landed on her neck and broke it. He prodded her fave gently with his right claw to see if she reacts to it: she twitched.

“S-stop it, Lono,” she groaned. “Can you- can you pick me up?” she still couldn't feel her own body.

“Sure.” Like before, he wrapped his sister's arm around his shoulder as he stood up. He wasn't in any condition to push himself, but if he wanted to escape alive, he had no choice. He knew this tunnel only had one route- he hated the thought of going back- but he had no choice. “Get those legs movin', Pele,” he told her as he walked with her at a slow pace down the tunnel. “I can't keep dragging you around forever.”

Post awards feedback:

Like most stories in the Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky mold, this one also begins with two young Pokemon yearning for adventure. But at the same time, there are details both large and small (a Florges as the guildmaster, for one example) to set it apart from the games. It's only bumped down a few points because we don't even get a glimpse of a villain until Chapter 6, which (at least to me) is a little too long to wait to introduce the bad guy. I'm also intrigued as to what powers the Inverse Orb mentioned at the end of Chapter 6 has, and how this plays into the villains' plot to attack the guilds.

You do very well making it very clear that this is not the world in Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. The world you have created, however, is the kind of world I love--a world filled with lore and secrets to explore. That being said, this world could feel even more alive with a little more description--it doesn't have to be Lord of the Rings caliber description, but enough to create atmosphere for the audience.

Characterization is where the story really shines--every character here has a well developed personality--Pecha and Oran's repartee as siblings, Florges' kind and motherly demeanor, the very tomboyish Dedenne--every member of the cast here was a true delight to read. The Dedenne was easily my favorite of all the characters I saw--I actually grinned when she appeared. This was only kept from being a perfect 10 because of Oran's personality--I understand his yearning for adventure, and his desire to do good, but over time he comes across as annoying.

The story does take a while to get going, but when it does, it is worth the wait. I was also concerned with some of the chapter lengths--Chapter 5 could've easily been told in two parts if all the gaps in the post had been removed. While not dealbreakers, the pacing and the gaps that start appearing in Chapter 3/4 is something for you to be mindful of.

While there are no major spelling or grammar errors, the gaps between paragraphs create a lot of unnecessary space, making chapters longer than they should be. There's also some missing capital letters at the start of sentences.

Overall: 82/100

A very nice story with a well realized world--pacing and capitalization are the main things to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Post awards feedback:

Plot: 7/10

Like most stories in the Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky mold, this one also begins with two young Pokemon yearning for adventure. But at the same time, there are details both large and small (a Florges as the guildmaster, for one example) to set it apart from the games. It's only bumped down a few points because we don't even get a glimpse of a villain until Chapter 6, which (at least to me) is a little too long to wait to introduce the bad guy. I'm also intrigued as to what powers the Inverse Orb mentioned at the end of Chapter 6 has, and how this plays into the villains' plot to attack the guilds.

Setting: 8/10

The author makes it very clear that this is not the world in Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. The world they have created, however, is the kind of world I love--a world filled with lore and secrets to explore. That being said, this world could feel even more alive with a little more description--it doesn't have to be Lord of the Rings caliber description, but enough to create atmosphere for the audience.

Characterization: 9/10

Here is where the story really shines--every character here has a well developed personality--Pecha and Oran's repartee as siblings, Florges' kind and motherly demeanor, the very tomboyish Dedenne--every member of the cast here was a true delight to read. The Dedenne was easily my favorite of all the characters I saw--I actually grinned when she appeared. This is only kept from being a perfect 10 because of Oran's personality--I understand his yearning for adventure, and his desire to do good, but over time he comes across as annoying.

Style: 8/10

The story does take a while to get going, but when it does, it is worth the wait. I was also concerned with some of the chapter lengths--Chapter 5 could've easily been told in two parts if all the gaps in the post had been removed. While not dealbreakers, the pacing and the gaps that start appearing in Chapter 3/4 is something for the author to be mindful of

Technical: 9/10

While there are no major spelling or grammar errors, the gaps between paragraphs create a lot of unnecessary space, making chapters longer than they should be. There's also some missing capital letters at the start of sentences.

Overall: 82/100

A very nice story with a well realized world--pacing and capitalization are the main things to keep in mind.

Thanks for the review @LightningTopaz :D I actually thought everyone just forgot about my story after a while!

Awards Review

Oh yeah, I got to judge this one too. Turns out I write really long reviews, sorry about that. But here's a slightly edited version of the original review - hope I reformatted it properly, as opposed to the awards version. If there's any problem, please yell at me about it, I'll have it sorted.

Plot

The story’s plot for the most part seems fairly simple but strong. Focussing on Oran and Pecha’s training as explorers is a good way to keep up a sense of progression, while exposing them to a variety of interesting and exciting situations and developing their characters. And then, before this can become routine, you throw in Team Sharktooth to mix things up a lot. The build-up to their attack on the Guild is overall done well, though it probably wouldn’t have hurt to introduce them a chapter or two sooner, or foreshadow their appearance somehow before Chapter 6 – given their importance to the plot later on, I think they’re owed that.

One thing I definitely would question is the way you handle the attack itself, in Chapter 9. It seems rather too brutal in contrast to the rest of the story – certainly there have been dangerous and scary situations before, but the tone was predominantly lighthearted. I feel the brutality of this chapter is somewhat out of place here, and could definitely have been toned down a fair bit. Otherwise, my only real criticism is that you seem to be dragging out the finale a bit. After the plot bomb of Chapter 9’s three parts, Chapter 10 just seems to flit between the various injured being treated, and Lopunny fighting Ku, without really progressing or resolving very much. That being said, the story's been updated since the awards started, and I'm not up to date yet, so this could have been fixed already for all I know.

Overall, I’d say the plot’s strength is in its simplicity. For the most part, it’s no more ambitious than it needs to be, which is great, but I would definitely be cautious of the stylistic and thematic changes in the most recent couple of chapters.

Setting

Worldbuilding and suchlike is certainly not first priority in a story of this length, and I feel for the most part you address it appropriately, with this in mind. There’s a clear idea of a dangerous world kept safe by the members of a number of Guilds. This being said, though, this story’s worldbuilding is nonetheless one of its weaker points. There’s a tendency to simply tell the reader about the world, which would be fine in a story of this length, if not for the fact that what we are shown sometimes conflicts with and contradicts what we are told. In the first chapter, you note that ‘there's no such thing as discrepancy at the Florges Guild’, but just later this chapter we’re shown precisely the opposite. Oran and Pecha, by fighting as soon as they get their first mission, show they’re clearly not mature enough to be given such a responsibility. Such a falling out at the wrong time could end up being very dangerous indeed – by all rights, Florges should realise this, and to send the two of them out anyway comes across as very irresponsible and negligent.

Overall, I feel the general picture of the setting is well-handled and presented. However, there are definitely some issues with conflicting information – as another example, the Guilds are portrayed as being influential and powerful, yet even Florges Guild’s strongest fighters prove essentially worthless when Team Sharktooth attack. Things like this harm my ability to believe in the Guilds and take them seriously. Otherwise, the setting is mainly solid, apart from the Mystery Dungeons, which lack much explanation of their stranger workings other than just ‘magic’ - which works okay, but probably it's best not to draw any attention to it.

Characterisation

The story’s characterisation is definitely its strongest point. Oran and Pecha – and a good deal of the rest of the cast – are all strong personalities that it’s easy to like and get attached to. Every character feels clearly defined and recognisable without losing any depth for it. Oran makes for a good protagonist, with his strong drive to become a proper explorer – the dream sequence at the start establishes this well by showing off the cliché heroic lucario he aspires to be, before he’s woken and his true self is revealed – though it must be admitted he can get a bit annoying at times. Pecha is probably my favourite character, speaking personally, she brings some much-needed sense to contrast with Oran, while still being childish and fun in her own way. I particularly liked Pecha feeling awkward about having to use Attract, that’s definitely an interesting idea that gives her some nice development, and it’s always nice to see moves being given relevance outside of just battles.

If there were any characters I’d honestly complain about (other than Florges, who I covered in the last section), it’d be Team Sharktooth - they're workable characters in their own right, but I do have a few issues with them. Other than Ku wanting a challenging battle, they don’t seem to have much motive for anything other than just getting money. Some more expansion on what exactly they want money for and why they need so much could help flesh them out some more. Also, while I do like Lono a lot as a character, I really must wonder why Ku bothers to keep him around as a strategist. You clearly show that Ku doesn’t really listen to him, and favours the worst and most dangerous plans as a self-imposed challenge, so why have him on the team in the first place? I can understand that Lono and Pele might be hanging around on the team to get money, but Ku clearly doesn’t care for keeping them around so why does he?

Overall, most of the characters in this story are an absolute joy to read. Their personalities feel authentic, without losing that classic Mystery Dungeon goofiness, which makes them relatable, likable and entertaining. My only criticism is that a small number of characters behave illogically from time-to-time, when it makes little sense given their characters and roles for them to do so. Florges doesn’t seem strict or responsible enough to make a competent guildmistress, and I can’t tell what makes Team Sharktooth stick together as a team at all. Maybe if you made Ku out to be less overwhelmingly strong on his own, and show at least a little appreciation for the others, him having teammates would make more sense?

Style

The prose here is of great quality. The descriptions, actions and dialogue all flow into each other naturally, making the story read very smoothly for the most part. The only jarring moments came at a few of the POV changes. You tend to change POV often, and while it’s generally easy to follow, there are definite moments when I honestly can’t tell whose POV we’re supposed to be following, or when it was supposed to have changed – though this is definitely getting into nitpick territory.

Overall, the style flows excellently, and the descriptions are both apt and elegant without going over the top. To be nitpicking, I’d say the frequent POV changes catch me off-guard every now and then, but I notice no major problems with this story stylistically.

Technical

By and large, the story has very few technical errors. The standards of spelling and grammar are very good, though I did notice typos turning up every now and then. Of note, the most common seems to be not capitalising the first letter at the start of a paragraph – not something that makes the story any less readable. Otherwise, I’d question your use of exclamation marks in a few cases, they tend to slip in where they aren’t needed sometimes. It might also be worth going back to your earlier chapters and inserting section breaks where needed.

Overall

Explorers of Destruction is a very solid Mystery Dungeon story that does a great job of presenting enjoyable characters in a simple but strong plot, all wrapped up in excellent prose and descriptions. The main issues to work on are the worldbuilding and some of the smaller characters, which cause some small but jarring plotholes, holding the story a little, though its merits definitely outweigh its flaws.

Awards Review

Oh yeah, I got to judge this one too. Turns out I write really long reviews, sorry about that. But here's a slightly edited version of the original review - hope I reformatted it properly, as opposed to the awards version. If there's any problem, please yell at me about it, I'll have it sorted.

Plot

The story’s plot for the most part seems fairly simple but strong. Focussing on Oran and Pecha’s training as explorers is a good way to keep up a sense of progression, while exposing them to a variety of interesting and exciting situations and developing their characters. And then, before this can become routine, you throw in Team Sharktooth to mix things up a lot. The build-up to their attack on the Guild is overall done well, though it probably wouldn’t have hurt to introduce them a chapter or two sooner, or foreshadow their appearance somehow before Chapter 6 – given their importance to the plot later on, I think they’re owed that.

One thing I definitely would question is the way you handle the attack itself, in Chapter 9. It seems rather too brutal in contrast to the rest of the story – certainly there have been dangerous and scary situations before, but the tone was predominantly lighthearted. I feel the brutality of this chapter is somewhat out of place here, and could definitely have been toned down a fair bit. Otherwise, my only real criticism is that you seem to be dragging out the finale a bit. After the plot bomb of Chapter 9’s three parts, Chapter 10 just seems to flit between the various injured being treated, and Lopunny fighting Ku, without really progressing or resolving very much. That being said, the story's been updated since the awards started, and I'm not up to date yet, so this could have been fixed already for all I know.

Overall, I’d say the plot’s strength is in its simplicity. For the most part, it’s no more ambitious than it needs to be, which is great, but I would definitely be cautious of the stylistic and thematic changes in the most recent couple of chapters.

Setting

Worldbuilding and suchlike is certainly not first priority in a story of this length, and I feel for the most part you address it appropriately, with this in mind. There’s a clear idea of a dangerous world kept safe by the members of a number of Guilds. This being said, though, this story’s worldbuilding is nonetheless one of its weaker points. There’s a tendency to simply tell the reader about the world, which would be fine in a story of this length, if not for the fact that what we are shown sometimes conflicts with and contradicts what we are told. In the first chapter, you note that ‘there's no such thing as discrepancy at the Florges Guild’, but just later this chapter we’re shown precisely the opposite. Oran and Pecha, by fighting as soon as they get their first mission, show they’re clearly not mature enough to be given such a responsibility. Such a falling out at the wrong time could end up being very dangerous indeed – by all rights, Florges should realise this, and to send the two of them out anyway comes across as very irresponsible and negligent.

Overall, I feel the general picture of the setting is well-handled and presented. However, there are definitely some issues with conflicting information – as another example, the Guilds are portrayed as being influential and powerful, yet even Florges Guild’s strongest fighters prove essentially worthless when Team Sharktooth attack. Things like this harm my ability to believe in the Guilds and take them seriously. Otherwise, the setting is mainly solid, apart from the Mystery Dungeons, which lack much explanation of their stranger workings other than just ‘magic’ - which works okay, but probably it's best not to draw any attention to it.

Characterisation

The story’s characterisation is definitely its strongest point. Oran and Pecha – and a good deal of the rest of the cast – are all strong personalities that it’s easy to like and get attached to. Every character feels clearly defined and recognisable without losing any depth for it. Oran makes for a good protagonist, with his strong drive to become a proper explorer – the dream sequence at the start establishes this well by showing off the cliché heroic lucario he aspires to be, before he’s woken and his true self is revealed – though it must be admitted he can get a bit annoying at times. Pecha is probably my favourite character, speaking personally, she brings some much-needed sense to contrast with Oran, while still being childish and fun in her own way. I particularly liked Pecha feeling awkward about having to use Attract, that’s definitely an interesting idea that gives her some nice development, and it’s always nice to see moves being given relevance outside of just battles.

If there were any characters I’d honestly complain about (other than Florges, who I covered in the last section), it’d be Team Sharktooth - they're workable characters in their own right, but I do have a few issues with them. Other than Ku wanting a challenging battle, they don’t seem to have much motive for anything other than just getting money. Some more expansion on what exactly they want money for and why they need so much could help flesh them out some more. Also, while I do like Lono a lot as a character, I really must wonder why Ku bothers to keep him around as a strategist. You clearly show that Ku doesn’t really listen to him, and favours the worst and most dangerous plans as a self-imposed challenge, so why have him on the team in the first place? I can understand that Lono and Pele might be hanging around on the team to get money, but Ku clearly doesn’t care for keeping them around so why does he?

Overall, most of the characters in this story are an absolute joy to read. Their personalities feel authentic, without losing that classic Mystery Dungeon goofiness, which makes them relatable, likable and entertaining. My only criticism is that a small number of characters behave illogically from time-to-time, when it makes little sense given their characters and roles for them to do so. Florges doesn’t seem strict or responsible enough to make a competent guildmistress, and I can’t tell what makes Team Sharktooth stick together as a team at all. Maybe if you made Ku out to be less overwhelmingly strong on his own, and show at least a little appreciation for the others, him having teammates would make more sense?

Style

The prose here is of great quality. The descriptions, actions and dialogue all flow into each other naturally, making the story read very smoothly for the most part. The only jarring moments came at a few of the POV changes. You tend to change POV often, and while it’s generally easy to follow, there are definite moments when I honestly can’t tell whose POV we’re supposed to be following, or when it was supposed to have changed – though this is definitely getting into nitpick territory.

Overall, the style flows excellently, and the descriptions are both apt and elegant without going over the top. To be nitpicking, I’d say the frequent POV changes catch me off-guard every now and then, but I notice no major problems with this story stylistically.

Technical

By and large, the story has very few technical errors. The standards of spelling and grammar are very good, though I did notice typos turning up every now and then. Of note, the most common seems to be not capitalising the first letter at the start of a paragraph – not something that makes the story any less readable. Otherwise, I’d question your use of exclamation marks in a few cases, they tend to slip in where they aren’t needed sometimes. It might also be worth going back to your earlier chapters and inserting section breaks where needed.

Overall

Explorers of Destruction is a very solid Mystery Dungeon story that does a great job of presenting enjoyable characters in a simple but strong plot, all wrapped up in excellent prose and descriptions. The main issues to work on are the worldbuilding and some of the smaller characters, which cause some small but jarring plotholes, holding the story a little, though its merits definitely outweigh its flaws.

Thank you for the review @Lord Kyuubi. I realize that the story was a little messy after chapter 9, and am planning to do some edits after I drop the final chapter. Afterwhich, I plan to do a separate rewrite of the story, in hopes to fix the more deeply rooted problems I cant fix through simple edits (such as giving team sharktooth a tad more backstory, and fixing the final battle between Lopunny and Ku).

Thank you for the review @Lord Kyuubi. I realize that the story was a little messy after chapter 9, and am planning to do some edits after I drop the final chapter. Afterwhich, I plan to do a separate rewrite of the story, in hopes to fix the more deeply rooted problems I cant fix through simple edits (such as giving team sharktooth a tad more backstory, and fixing the final battle between Lopunny and Ku).

Sounds great, I'll look forward to it! :) In the meantime, I'll catch up with the latest chapter(s) and hopefully get back to you on them soon.

Alright, so my computer is breaking down. I'm still going to try and do some writing, but it won't be a whole lot until I buy a new computer. So until then, I don't see an update on the story this month.

On top of that, work's been killing most of my writing spirit, along with writer's block killing off whatever little's left.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom