• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling and Sawsbuck

SirOni

Driving You Batty
Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Deerling and Sawsbuck!

240px-585Deerling-Autumn.png
240px-586Sawsbuck-Autumn.png

240px-585Deerling-Winter.png
240px-586Sawsbuck-Winter.png

240px-585Deerling-Spring.png
240px-586Sawsbuck-Spring.png

240px-585Deerling-Summer.png
240px-586Sawsbuck-Summer.png

It’s that time of the year when the leaves begin to change and the sun starts to set sooner, so this week we’ll be showcasing Deerling and Sawsbuck. Normal/Grass-type Pokémon introduced in Generation V Deerling and Sawsbuck are embodiments of the seasonal cycle. Designed to go hand-in-hand with the Seasons mechanic of Black and White these Pokémon change their body in tandem with the change of the season. With each month a different season takes the place of its predecessor as does the form Deerling and Sawsbuck are in. Summer sees a green coated Deerling and a green spotted Sawsbuck sporting an impressive head of lively green foliage. Autumn gives us an orange coated Deerling and a dull red spotted Sawsbuck molting its rack of leaves with have turned red and brown. Winter we can find a brown coated Deerling and a white spotted Sawsbuck with bare white antlers and large tufts of furs to protect it from the cold. And finally, in Spring the Deering have pretty pink coar and the Sawsbuck are pink spotted with antlers adorned with small pink flowers. In accordance with that cycle Sawsbuck name comes from the first letter of each of those season followed by the word “buck” which is a term for a male deer. Sawsbuck could also be derived from the sawbuck which is a device used to hold wood when sawing often also made of wood and is itself also named after male deer. The idea of Sawsbuck’s antlers also behaving like tree branches may have come from the humorous image of real life deer getting plant matter and debris stuck in their antlers. Some such as Pere David’s deer have even come to use this as a form of display for attracting mates. Deerling and Sawsbuck are seasonal migrators returning to the forests and grasslands near human communities in the spring which have given them the moniker the harbingers of spring. In the Unova Horoscope Sawsbuck represents January which in the real world zodiac roughly corresponds to the sign Capricorn that uses a goat as its symbol.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
-Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
-How is this Pokémon in-game?
-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
-How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
-Which form of this Pokémon is your favorite? Is it the same as your favorite season?
-Deer are known for their antlers which the females often lack. What do you think about the idea of female Sawsbuck lacking antlers as well? If you do like the idea then what could you add to female Sawsbuck so that they could still change with the seasons.
-Many real life animals are known to change appearance according to the seasons. Are there any other animals you would like to see as Pokémon with seasonal forms or even existing Pokémon with added seasonal forms?
-Due to the removal of seasons currently this Pokémon is only available in its Spring Form except by importing a different form from Generation V. In order to obtain all the forms in a current generation would you like to see the reintroduction of seasons, or maybe is there some other method you would like to see implemented in order to get them all in one game?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week

I like it. Nice concept and interesting typing, I didn't like most Grass-types of Generation V but this was one of the best.
Good enough thanks to Horn Leech and some strong Normal-types moves. I've used it in Black 2 since it was a gift Pokmon, and it did not dissapoint.
-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Haven't tried it in competitive. I guess Horn Leech would be a key move for it, that's its entire niche in battle pretty much.
-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I generally do although that episode where all forms appeared at once was strange. It was nice to look at but so many questions, everything was mysterious in that episode.
It would be the kind of Pokemon most children would like to see. It would also be mostly rare with the exception of a few areas, adding to its "exoticness".
-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats, better Ability (while I'd like it to keep its typing, it is weak to many types and that's where the Ability could fix things a bit).
-Which form of this Pokémon is your favorite? Is it the same as your favorite season?
Spring Form. I like summer a bit more but Summer Form I don't like as much.
-Deer are known for their antlers which the females often lack. What do you think about the idea of female Sawsbuck lacking antlers as well? If you do like the idea then what could you add to female Sawsbuck so that they could still change with the seasons.
It would make sense but also cause design problems. I don't mind much especially not that it's done and I doubt it will ever change.
-Many real life animals are known to change appearance according to the seasons. Are there any other animals you would like to see as Pokémon with seasonal forms or even existing Pokémon with added seasonal forms?
Sure. Although I don't know which existing Pokemon would be the best for added seasonal forms.
-Due to the removal of seasons currently this Pokémon is only available in its Spring Form except by importing a different form from Generation V. In order to obtain all the forms in a current generation would you like to see the reintroduction of seasons, or maybe is there some other method you would like to see implemented in order to get them all in one game?
I'd like to see seasons once again. When a mechanic like that is introduced, I'd expect it to appear in all future games and would like it to be as such.

I guess Horn Leech would be a key move for it, that's its entire niche in battle pretty much.
pretty sure its main niche is not horn leech in pu. Imo its niche from another physical grass type is its normal typing, allowing it to hit grass resists like roselia hard with double edge. Though of course, its own useful in PU and has a slight use in NU.

It's aight

Aight.

N/A

No clue

Change it's color.

Nothing.

Fall/Autumn and no.

I dunno.

Grimer.

I guess due to the date or something. Helps with trading I guess. Idk

If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Cleffa, Clefairy & Clefable line

I like Deerling because it's so cute, and Sawsbuck is just there for some reason.​
Probably alright.​
.....​
Meh, they weren't used very much.​
More than likely, what normal deer do.​
Nothing.​
Spring. You bet, although I also like autumn.​
-Deer are known for their antlers which the females often lack. What do you think about the idea of female Sawsbuck lacking antlers as well? If you do like the idea then what could you add to female Sawsbuck so that they could still change with the seasons?
Perhaps just a coat change like Deerling.​
Cherrim might be interesting since it already has Overcast and Sunny forms.​
I'd love to see seasons again, except maybe they occur in time with actual IRL seasons.​

I suggest the Mareep line again.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I do like this Pokemon. I used it on my team in my first playthrough of Pokemon Black and usually try to whenever I replay that version.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Definitely gets better once it evolves and gets a little move diversity with thinks like Jump Kick and Megahorn.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
I can just imagine how majestic a Sawsbuck would look strolling through a forest.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
I feel like now we have the Fairy type, Deerling and Sawsbuck's ability to change with the seasons would be a good Fairy/Grass type.
Which form of this Pokémon is your favorite? Is it the same as your favorite season?
Probably Winter with Spring form a close second. The same holds true for the real seasons.
Deer are known for their antlers which the females often lack. What do you think about the idea of female Sawsbuck lacking antlers as well? If you do like the idea then what could you add to female Sawsbuck so that they could still change with the seasons.
There probably wouldn't be a way to give the female Sawsbuck a different appearance and keep it accurate to the real world animal but if there had to be a gender difference a ruff or collar similar to that on the winter Sawsbuck that changes with the season could be cool.
Many real life animals are known to change appearance according to the seasons. Are there any other animals you would like to see as Pokémon with seasonal forms or even existing Pokémon with added seasonal forms?
Castform maybe? Rain form in Spring and/or Autumn. Ice form in Winter. Sun form in Summer.
Due to the removal of seasons currently this Pokémon is only available in its Spring Form except by importing a different form from Generation V. In order to obtain all the forms in a current generation would you like to see the reintroduction of seasons, or maybe is there some other method you would like to see implemented in order to get them all in one game?
I just wish they'd stop making cool features like seasons exclusive to the generation they were introduced in.

Sawsbuck is one of my favorites for its unique seasonal changes. Love love LOVE the winter variant! Kind of miffed that seasons weren't a thing in X and Y since the spring form is the most boring to me. I'd love to see them bring back seasons.

In-game it is not too shabby! It has nice Attack and decent Speed stats. Even competitively it could be a nice option to use. Having it part of a Sunny Day team to take advantage of Chlorophyll is something I would love to do when Sun and Moon come along.

Only thing I would change is if they added a type to whatever the season it was, rather than it being cosmetic. Then again, my favorite is the winter variant and if it were to be part Ice, it would just put it at multiple disadvantages. XD Then again, the summer form being part Fire would have been cool!

Overall, a cool Pokemon. I love it!

In-game it is not too shabby! It has nice Attack and decent Speed stats. Even competitively it could be a nice option to use. Having it part of a Sunny Day team to take advantage of Chlorophyll is something I would love to do when Sun and Moon come along.
there are better sun sweeper tho

there are better sun sweeper tho
While Victreebel, Shiftry, and Leafeon are all better physical sun sweepers, I think there is something to be said for Sawsbuck's access to STAB Return and Jump Kick in lower tiers. But its lack of Leaf Blade and a priority move like Sucker Punch plus its frail stats do set it at quite a disadvantage compared to the others unfortunately.

Honestly I think I prefer a Sap Sipper set that lets you benefit from moves such as Spore and Leech Seed. Too bad it doesn't really get anything from its Hidden Ability Serene Grace. :/

I understand why seasons didn't carry over as a mechanic, but they could have easily found a way to integrate Deerling and Sawsbuck's forms. Off the top of my head: Why not some device at the Weather Institute in ORAS? Or, if not that, then why not some season-themed Mirage Islands? And in XY, why not just divide the region into seasonal quadrants, where Deerling's form would be determined by the one it most recently battled in (à la Burmy)? They practically already have them, aesthetically - let's say everything from Vaniville to Route 7 (+Route 22, Victory Road, and Kiloude) is the Spring quadrant, everything from Route 8 to Route 13 is the Summer quadrant, everything from Route 14 to Route 16 is the Autumn quadrant, and everything from Dendemille to Route 21 is the Winter quadrant. Sure it's not perfect, but I don't see why they couldn't have done something along those lines.

Anyway, as for the Pokémon itself, I'm quite a fan. The Spring Form is probably my least-favorite of the bunch, but it's still fine. Autumn Form is probably my favorite (which makes sense, as that's my favorite season). I haven't used Sawsbuck very often though, only once in a BW run if I remember correctly. But it handled well, and Horn Leech is an awesome move. I do love HP absorption attacks, and it's a pretty unique one.

what if sawsbuck gets headbutt XD Thunder wave serene grace headbutr
That would have been pretty fun. heh If they had been around in Gen IV they probably would have due to it being a tutor move in HGSS. Right now its only Serene Grace moves that I see are Rock Smash, Energy Ball, and Shadow Ball. There might be a couple more but the point being as it is right now it's useless since it would never use any of those moves anyway outside of MAYBE in-game.

I like Sawsbuck quite a lot, but Deerling's design is too bland for my liking. It is cool that the first four letters in the former's name are actually an abbreviation for the names of the seasons. I was rather annoyed by the fact Sawsbuck couldn't make a good use of its Hidden Ability for a while (it can't even learn Stomp, unlike Stantler!), but now that it can learn Headbutt through breeding, this is no longer an issue. It also has a good physical movepool with moves like Return, Double-Edge, Horn Leech, Megahorn, Wild Charge, and Jump Kick. My favourite form is the autumn one, but I like them all.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! How did I not see this before?! Deerling is my #1 favorite Pokemon EVER!! My whole life, I've always wanted to see a real deer Pokemon. I didn't like Stantler because it wasn't cute. Imagine my surprise when this cutie was revealed to the world! God, I fell in love! Sawsbuck is really good, too! Whenever I catch some in game, I always name the male Bambi and the female Faline, because...obvious reasons. I have a Deerling figurine, a Deerling zipper clip, I even have a winter coat Deerling plush that my friend got me for Christmas eight years ago which still sits proudly on my shelf! Deerling is the best Pokemon ever and I'll always love it!

Sawsbuck is among my favorite all-time Pokemon. Deerling is cute, but I've always been drawn to Sawsbuck specifically. Oddly enough my favorite design of it is the Spring design. Whereas IRL I despise the Spring season.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom