• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Hoppip, Skiploom, and Jumpluff!

187Hoppip.png
188Skiploom.png
189Jumpluff.png
This PotW is particularly special for me, because Skiploom happens to be my favorite Pokémon of all time, and I love each member of the evolutionary line dearly. The Hoppip line represents the life cycle of a dandelion flower, and they also feature mammal-like characteristics, which makes them as strange looking as they are adorable. They were introduced in Generation II as an early-game Pokémon, with Hoppip being found just before the first gym leader battle if you choose to venture south. Unfortunately, its typing led to it struggling against the first couple of gym leaders, and both its offensive stats and movepool were underwhelming compared to other grass types such as Bellsprout or even Chikorita. However, if a trainer put forth the effort, they would find that they could evolve it fully on a relatively low level for a three-stage Pokémon, and its speed is almost unrivaled in its game. This along with its decent bulk and good support moves allowed it to set up for other Pokémon or stall the opponent with moves such as Leech Seed and Sleep Powder.

Looking at competitive play, Jumpluff has never made a huge splash, and in Gen V it appeared to be largely outclassed by a new floating Grass type: the Prankster-weilding, even faster Whimsicott. Fortunately, Jumpluff found a new niche in the metagame by making use of the new move Acrobatics coupled with the Flying Gem, at last giving it a powerful Flying type attack to give it more of an offensive presence. These combined with its high speed and access to Swords Dance can make Jumpluff quite a force to be reckoned with if given the chance to set up.

Another fun fact about Jumpluff, it is among the shortest three stage Pokémon standing at only 2'07" and it is the lightest, weighing in at a whopping 3kg. This line breaks the typical expectation of a Pokémon beginning as a small, cute creature and becoming more ferocious looking as it evolves.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Do you prefer using this Pokémon as a supporter or sweeper?
  • What types of moves or abilities do you think could benefit Jumpluff for either of these goals, especially now that the Flying Gem has been mostly cut from the games?
  • Do you wish there were more Pokémon lines that stayed small and "cutesy" for their entire evolution?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Last edited:

Jumpluff used to be one of my favorite pokemon, but not anymore, as it is...kind of boring, I guess? It would have been much better if it had maintained the ears it had as a skiploom. I still like it a bit.

it's got no offenses and average bulk, so probably not too hot. Definitely fun annoying stuff with sleep powder and leech seed tho.

• How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?

well, you basically covered it in the op. I'm still sort of in shock that a pokemon with about the same attack as bastiodon would ever act as a sweeper. I'm still a little embarrassed from when my friend swept me with his. Ugh.

I don't really use it at all but I'd say I'm more interested in a supporting set, not that I'd be opposed to trying a sweeping set

• What types of moves or abilities do you think could benefit Jumpluff for either of these goals, especially now that the Flying Gem has been mostly cut from the games?

if SM doesn't reintroduce flying gem (and even then), it could really go for some stronger physical flying STAB. "But acrobatics has 110 BP!!1!" You do realize you're firing this off base neutral-natured base 55 attack right? The inability to hold lorb or even sharp beak means its damage output is crap, and while it does hit quite hard after a boost, it's not quite razing walls like most other offensive pokemon would be at that level. Better coverage would be good too, seed bomb can only go so far especially with acrobatic's no-item curse dragging it down

• Do you wish there were more Pokémon lines that stayed small and "cutesy" for their entire evolution?

no

Do you wish there were more Pokémon lines that stayed small and "cutesy" for their entire evolution?

I'm always for as much variation in pokémon as possible - the roster doesn't have to filled with little other than multicoloured cats, scaly lizard dragons, and dogs in martial arts uniforms. In that sense the Hoppip line has always been a favourite, not making much of a splash but interesting enough in their own way

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I love love love love LOOOOOVE Jumpluff. It's the cutest little puff to ever exist. ESPECIALLY ITS SHINY. My friend spent over a week in X/Y doing hoard battles in order to get a shiny hoppip for my birthday after the games came out. It took him so long he got a shiny Psyduck before he caught Pinkyfloof.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
ADORABLE.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
They would be amazing and drift on the breeze. I'm sure gardeners would love seeing this line visiting their yards.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
More Jumpluff merchandise. Also I want jumpluff themed clothing in game!
Do you wish there were more Pokémon lines that stayed small and "cutesy" for their entire evolution?
Sure. We should have plenty of lines that prove appearances can be deceiving. Sadly I don't really know how tough these pokemon actually are since I don't use them that often.

Jumpluff is love. Jumpluff is life. HAIL PINKYFLOOF.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I like it. The concept of a bouncing plant being Grass/Flying is nice.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Unfortunately not good.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?

I guess there is the one most Grass-types like to use; status and Leech Seed, then wait it out. I really don't like that playstyle, though.
I didn't have a clue it could be used as a sweeper before reading this; I'd sure prefer that.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?

I don't remember much from the Johto episode that had them as I was young when I last saw it. I don't remember any other appearances either.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?

Children and Grass-type lovers would find it cute. Most competitive Trainers just wouldn't care.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?

Much better stats, good Ability.
Do you prefer using this Pokémon as a supporter or sweeper?

Sweeper, as explained above.
What types of moves or abilities do you think could benefit Jumpluff for either of these goals, especially now that the Flying Gem has been mostly cut from the games?

Can't think of something right now; I believe Jumpluff really needs a great niche ability to get any better, though.

I wouldn't mind it.

Because it is amazing.

Amazing

idk
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?

Ash needed to catch one.
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?

Awesomely.
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?

Stronger.

As one of the GOATs

Explosion, Earthquake, Fire Blast, Surf. Just stack it.

Then it ruins the fun.

Not a huge fan of this line. I don't dislike them but they're not something I am dying to get my hands on in-game. In fairness, Jumpluff may not look like much, but it's actually very useful and can be a real menace when used correctly. It's lightning-fast speed and access to stat reducers and moves that can change status condition can make things beyond annoying for the opponent. Definitely works better as a supporter. It has a great moveset to act as one and it's Attack/Special Attack power are nothing too spectacular to make much use out of it offensively, anyways. The problem that makes it not so useful is it's double weakness to Ice, and with Ice Beam being one of the most commonly used moves in the game, I wouldn't expect the little cotton ball to last too long, especially since Game Freak decided to downgrade its Special Defense for some reason. It would be great if it could learn Spore, but that's only relegated to mushroom-like Pokemon.

I don't have any memories of this line in the anime, but as for a real-world encounter, I'd imagine they would be giving people lots of allergies. Ever lived near a cotton field and gin? I'd imagine a flock of these Pokemon would be causing some real mayhem in the real world. On a positive note, there probably wouldn't need to be land dedicated to growing cotton when these Pokemon could give an endless supply of it.

For some reason, I love it when an adorable Pokemon evolves into something monstrous. I find that charming. It staying cute throughout or it staying monstrous throughout isn't too appealing to me, but I guess if I really like the Pokemon, I don't think too much of it. I can think of a few Pokemon that started off cute that ended cute that I really like. =)

I remember Jumpluff's Acrobatics very well for one reason: A Jumpluff had used this move against my Slurpuff after I pulled off Belly Drum to maximize Attack and eat the Sitrus Berry. I then mimicked this 110 power Flying type move with Copycat, using that to defeat the Jumpluff and a Typhlosion switch in.

In all seriousness though, Crobat and Gliscor can do Flying Gem Acrobatics better and I'd rather use Jumpluff as a supporter. If I even use it at all.

• Staff
In all seriousness though, Crobat and Gliscor can do Flying Gem Acrobatics better and I'd rather use Jumpluff as a supporter. If I even use it at all.
Not arguing they aren't better in battle but to Jumpluff's credit it's faster than Gliscor, those two can't set up with Sleep Powder, and, even though it's the fastest of the three, Crobat has no way of boosting its own attack power like the other two.

But Crobat and Gliscor both have a lot more going for them offensively unlike Jumpluff so it really is outclassed in higher tiers.

True on that, but Acrobatics is physical.
different spectrum of attack sure but if we're going to compare the two mons I'm not seeing how it doesn't warrant mention
if we're going to talk about jumpluff using acro off base 55 attack I think we can discuss crobat using air slash and sludge bomb off of base 70 sp. attack

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Crobat Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 212-251 (62.1 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Crobat Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 255-302 (74.7 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 210-247 (61.5 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

dat flinch chance <3

Ahh, Jumpluff. I have a sort of fond nostalgia for it. I remember really liking it way back in the day, in large part because I pulled the Neo Genesis card and it was one of the few full evolution lines I owned. :p But also, as a kid, I always liked trying to blow the seeds off of a withering dandelion in one breath, and in general, I just think the way that dandelions turn into seed heads is quite neat. So of course it follows that I should like the Hoppip line, for imitating that line of progression.

Additionally, I think it's a clever way to work in a Grass/Flying type. And, I really like how the colors don't remain consistent between the three stages of the Hoppip line, and yet they are still vibrant and look good - not a lot of lines do that, probably because it's quite tricky to manage, but Hoppip, Skiploom, and Jumpluff manage to pull it off.

I don't feel like there is a shortage of Pokémon lines that remain "cute" throughout their evolution, but it's certainly not something I'm opposed to, anyway.

I've recently used the line in a playthrough of Crystal. Dandy was one of the first Pokemon I caught in that run was considering dropping him many times because I thought he wouldn't be useful for much longer. But despite my concerns Dandy managed to stay with me all the way through. He mostly stayed around as my catcher with Sleep Powder but with the addition of Leech Seed and Headbutt and his great Speed he proved to be a pretty reliable battler even defeating Elite Four Pokemon once he got Mega Drain. Mega Drain being Jumpluff's best non-Solarbeam STAB was initially a put off but it isn't so bad as long as it has the aggravating Sleep Powder/Leech Seed combo. High speed and the chance of flinch from Headbutt is also very nice.

Also because if this thread I realized that the whole line has feline traits because they're dandeLIONS!

Love what they're based on. Definitely one of my top 20 favorite Pokemon.

Never really liked this line much. They are cute and all, but their attacking stats are just awful, which is kind of awkward with their very impressive Speed. Well, at least they get stuff like Stun Spore, Leech Seed and Sleep Powder. I liked the island in FireRed/LeafGreen where you would find nothing but Hoppip in the grass, but that's about it.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom