• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is the Woobat line!

250px-527Woobat.png
250px-528Swoobat.png

Introduced in Pokémon Black and White, these Psychic/Flying Pokémon are based on a variety of real life bat species, such as flying foxes, Honduran white bats, and the heart-nosed bat. Like several other Unova Pokémon, Woobat and Swoobat can be seen as a spiritual successor to a generation 1 Pokémon, Zubat and Golbat. Like these older 'mons, Woobat seems to have underdeveloped eyes and navigates primarily with ultrasonic waves. Perhaps the most striking feature of both of these Pokémon are their heart-shaped noses that they can use as suckers to stick to walls or to fire destructive sonic blasts. Woobat played a minor but consistent role in the anime as a member of Jessie's team. It mostly used Air Slash and Hidden Power to attack from a distance, but was never shown to be particularly strong in combat.

While Swoobat's Psychic/Flying type isn't unique and both its offensive and defensive stats seem underwhelming at a glance, it's managed to make a small name for itself with its impressive speed and phenomenal Simple ability. This ability allows a single Calm Mind to grant an instant +2 to both Special Attack and Special Defense and also gives the Egg Move Stored Power a sizable 90 base power. Subsequent stat boosts only increase these values, causing Swoobat to be one of the most efficient set-up Pokémon in the game.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • After Gen V's experimentation with this concept, would you like to see any other old Pokémon concepts revisited or reimagined?
  • How do you feel Woobat compares with other Psychic and/or Flying types in the game, especially Sigilpyh, which has the same typing and was introduced in the same game?
  • Do you think Swoobat's stats are too low, or does it compensate well enough with its powerful ability, good speed, and decent movepool?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

I don't think these pair really do enough with their inspiration. If the Zubat line are Microchiroptera, and the Woobat line Megachiroptera, it would have been nice to see a clear thematic difference between the two. Woobat turning up in caves and having that same poor eyesight doesn't help. It would have been interesting to do something with the typically fruit-based diets of Megachiroptera - maybe have them as a common encounter around berry trees, that sort of thing

• Staff
I don't think these pair really do enough with their inspiration. If the Zubat line are Microchiroptera, and the Woobat line Megachiroptera, it would have been nice to see a clear thematic difference between the two. Woobat turning up in caves and having that same poor eyesight doesn't help. It would have been interesting to do something with the typically fruit-based diets of Megachiroptera - maybe have them as a common encounter around berry trees, that sort of thing
Agreed. Another thing I think they should have added is a greater focus on sound based attacks, since both of their dex entries talk about using ultrasonic waves in various ways. They don't get any through level up, and only Supersonic and Synchronoise through Egg Moves. Meanwhile they get access to a bunch of Psychic type moves even though nothing in the dex entries seem to hint toward psychic powers. I like this line a lot but it also feels conceptually unrealized and all over the place.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I like it, interesting and cute design for Pokemon based on bats, I like how its typing wasn't the same as Zubat etc.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Haven't given it a try.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Haven't given it a try there either.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Jessie's Woobat! :3 It was really cute to see around. to the point it was the center of my whole April Fool's Day stunt last year
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Some people would like it for its cuteness, others wouldn't because it is a bat. A few would also be scared of Psychic-types or weirded out by its heart stamps.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats and their distribution. Better completely drop the Attack and make it Special-based. Typing and ability are fine... although I can also see it as Psychic/Fairy with Levitate.
After Gen V's experimentation with this concept, would you like to see any other old Pokémon concepts revisited or reimagined?
Sure, it would be nice to see what they'll do with that. I don't think of it as uncreative or repetitive, it has potential.
How do you feel Woobat compares with other Psychic and/or Flying types in the game, especially Sigilyph, which has the same typing and was introduced in the same game?
I have used Sigilyph in-game and it was good; I guess Woobat would be worse but Swoobat would be better. Overall it's just a matter of preference I guess. In-game, I did prefer Sigilyph...
Do you think Swoobat's stats are too low, or does it compensate well enough with its powerful ability, good speed, and decent movepool?
I haven't even realised how good 2 of its 3 Abilities are and then some get Klutz :(. I think its stats could use a boost so it would be more viable.

Woobat's reveal was pretty exciting for me since I absolutely love the Honduran White Bat. Probably the cutest animal in my opinion. I used in White it alongside Archeops and Braviary before deciding on Braviary as my main bird. I managed to evolve it pretty early due to how much time I spent with it. I do wish Swoobat had a bit more power since that's one reason why it lost out to Braviary in my White run.

I've been wanting to use the Simple set for a long time now. I first saw it used by a Youtuber who normal doesn't make Pokemon videos. Having never seen it before it made me think that he had come up with it himself!

Never really liked this line much. I like the fact it is similiar to the Zubat line in that it needs a close bond with its Trainer to reach its final stage, but I dislike their designs and Swoobat's cry is grating. On top of that, their only good stat is Speed, and they have good movepool, but can't use it well thanks to their poor attacking stats. I like Crobat and Noivern much better than Swoobat, honestly.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom