• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is the Pikachu, in honor of the 20th anniversary of the anime.
600px-025Pikachu.png

The series mascot, Pikachu is the original electric rodent, and appears on pretty much all official Pokémon merchandice.

Pikachu is very prominent in the anime, where he was Ash's first Pokémon. At first, the two of them didn't get along, with Pikachu refusing to obey Ash, but after Ash save Pikachu from a flock of wild Spearow, Pikachu gained a respect from Ash, and has traveled with him ever since. In the episode Electric Shock Showdown, Pikachu refused to evolve in order to defeat Lt. Surge's Raichu, and, ultimately, was able to prevail over its evolution using a combination of speed and outside of the box strategy.
Pikachu has also appeared numerous other times in the anime, notably under the ownership of Ritchie as well as in the episode The Pi-Kahuna. In that episode, the Pikachu, named Puka, had blue eyes and was able to sense the approaching tidal waves. Puka was revealed to have floated in from somewhere far away.

Pikachu has also had notable appearances in the Manga, and even has a manga based around his travels with Ash, The Electric Tale of Pikachu, which is an adaptation of the anime. Even in the Pokémon Adventures series, Pikachu appears as one of Red's main Pokémon, and in the Yellow chapter of that series, discovered that he can use Surf.

Pikachu has received a lot of attention in the games as well, both main series and otherwise. It was the player's first Pokémon in Pokémon Yellow Version, and was the first Pokémon which was able to follow around its trainer, as well as the first Pokémon for which happiness was observable. Other notable attention that Pikachu received in the main series games is cosplay Pikachu, appearing in ORAS, which had unique moves depending on which costume it wore, and the two exclusive Z-Moves that Pikachu received in Sun & Moon, Catastropika and 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt. Pikachu is the only Pokémon to receive more than one exclusive Z-Moves. Pikachu were also distributed with in Sun & Moon wearing various caps based on the hats that Ash wore in the anime.
Outside of the main series games, Pikachu has been the star of both the Hey You, Pikachu! and Great Detective Pikachu games, and there was an event which gave away Pikachu wearing various costumes or disguises were given out in Pokémon GO.

In battle, the entire Pikachu family is considered to be glass cannons. With higher offensive stats and low defensive stats, Pikachu isn't going to be taking hits very well. However, starting in Gen II, the item Light Ball was introduced. In Gen II and Gen III, the Light Ball only doubled Pikachu's Special Attack, but starting in Gen IV it also doubled Pikachu's Attack stat. This makes Pikachu's attacks hit harder than even its evolution Raichu's attacks. With access to Special Attacks like Thunderbolt, Thunder, Volt Switch, Grass Knot, and Surf (via event), as well as support moves like Rain Dance and Nasty Plot, Pikachu can be a force to be reckoned with. Pikachu also has access to physical moves like Volt Tackle, Brick Break, and Nuzzle, and is good at spreading Paralysis with Nuzzle and its 90 Speed base stat.

Although there is a lot more than can be said of this electric rodent, due to its prominence in the franchise, I will cut things off here for the sake of brevity.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Does Pikachu make for a good series mascot? If not, which Pokémon do you feel would be a better choice?
  • Do you think that Pikachu receives too much attention?
  • Pikachu's physical appearance has changed in the past 20 years. What do you think about Pikachu's newer appearance in comparison to it older appearance?
  • Approximately 20 years after the episode The Pi-Kahuna aired, Pikachu from Alola was revealed to evolve into Alolan Raichu, which is based on a surfer. Do you like how Pokémon has resolved this mystery?
  • What other 20 year old mysteries would you like Game Freak to resolve?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!
Previous Pokémon of the Week
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I like it, of course! How can I not like the mascot of the Pokemon franchise, the symbol by which it is known to all the non-Pokefans in the world?
How is this Pokémon in-game?
It started off as quite bad in past generations but a lot of steps in the right direction have been taken. In Yellow it was the only starter Pokemon available, giving it trouble against Brock. Then after Misty there wasn't much it could do before being overshadowed by the gift starters or any evolved Pokemon to be honest. At least Surf/Fly versions were released as events, and they were better. Then it gets Light Ball which helped it a bit. In ORAS it finally got Cosplay forms and was a gift Pokemon, making it much better; Pikachu Belle with its Electric/Ice coverage was the best option in my opinion. Finally in SuMo it gets a much better evolution in the form of Alolan Raichu as well as two Z-Moves exclusive to it.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I haven't attempted using it in competitive.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Of course, it's the main character's main Pokemon! I like how it can be so mature yet playful.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
If there's one Pokemon that is actually interacting a lot with our world, it is Pikachu. And it's already doing very well. If it existed for real it could only get better!
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats and a way to actually get all its powerups together. You can't have Light Ball and Z-Crystals together, for example. I also guess Cap Pikachu (which will be the only ones able to use Pikashunium) won't stack with Cosplay. Surf/Fly don't appear anymore.
Does Pikachu make for a good series mascot? If not, which Pokémon do you feel would be a better choice?
It sure does! Can't think of many better choices; it is so characteristically yellow for any other mascot to do.
Do you think that Pikachu receives too much attention?
It does but that's not really a bad thing.
Pikachu's physical appearance has changed in the past 20 years. What do you think about Pikachu's newer appearance in comparison to it older appearance?
All appearances look good but I think the newer one is more marketable. Which makes sense as that's what they tried to achieve.
Approximately 20 years after the episode The Pi-Kahuna aired, Pikachu from Alola was revealed to evolve into Alolan Raichu, which is based on a surfer. Do you like how Pokémon has resolved this mystery?
I don't really feel like they tried to resolve that particular mystery from one old filler anime episode, although they might have got the idea from there. In any case I like the concept of Alolan Raichu.
What other 20 year old mysteries would you like Game Freak to resolve?
Several major mysteries about the Pokemon world that are around since Generation I; how Pokeballs work, why you can only have up to 6 Pokemon at a time, the actual governmental structure of the Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh nation, why Silph Co. is so special, Professor Oak backstory, more insight on Red/Blue's missing parents and more I probably forgot right now.

It was chosen as the franchise's mascot, so it is understandable that it appears in everywhere and anywhere. I don't have any issue about it.

Though, there is only one thing I would like to rant about Pikachu. Thanks to it, Raichu got the short end of the stick.
I don't hope for much, just at the very least make Light Ball workable on its entire evolution line, not just Pikachu. Raichu is supposed to be the evolution of Pikachu, but with Light Ball, Raichu becomes even weaker than Pikachu...... What logic is that? Please spare some love to Raichu (and Pichu) as well, at least make Raichu more appreciable in competitive play.

I'm sort of bummed that Pichu and Raichu were excluded from PotW , and they will probably never be chosen as Pokemon of the week since Pika is used now.

---

Thanks to this little mouse, my favourite Pokemon, Raichu was underrated. It is almost depicted as a sin to evolve your Pikachu. Pikachu is depicted as a pure being which is 'corrupted' and is now evil when contacted with a thunderstone.
I also hate how cosplay Pikachu cannot evolve. Can anyone imagine how great a Raichu PHD would look?

They worsened regular Raichu in competitive play by giving Pikachu and A-Raichu their own Z-Moves, and now Raichu has an Alola form, it will probably Noe mega evolve.
(More to rant later)

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I love it! So cute!
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
A very good Pokemon early on in the game.
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I just hate how Ash’s Pikachu is in every episode. I’d like to see about 2 or 3 episodes where it goes missing. But it’s adorbs.
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
It would be one of the worst pests ever. It can shock you and your appliances? No thanks.
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Make it a little stronger. It’s the mascot of Pokemon! It needs to have good stats.
  • Does Pikachu make for a good series mascot? If not, which Pokémon do you feel would be a better choice?
It’s very good, attracting people who like cute Pokemon and people who prefer cool Pokemon. But a Pokemon like Mew might be a pretty cool mascot.
  • Do you think that Pikachu receives too much attention?
Not too much, because it’s the mascot of Pokemon. It receives a lot because it’s the mascot.
  • Pikachu's physical appearance has changed in the past 20 years. What do you think about Pikachu's newer appearance in comparison to it older appearance?
Wait, it’s changed? It looks the same to me.
  • Approximately 20 years after the episode The Pi-Kahuna aired, Pikachu from Alola was revealed to evolve into Alolan Raichu, which is based on a surfer. Do you like how Pokémon has resolved this mystery?
Yes! Puka is an Alolan Pikachu confirmed! Kinda...

• Staff
@AnimePsyclone
1da6fa12a621bbd7fbd3fcf24d5dce62
pokemon-go-pikachu-guide.jpg

Note how Pikachu didn't really used to have a defined neck and was a little chubbier in 1998.

@PkmnTrainerV don't be too sure that Raichu and Pichu will never make an appearance in PotW.

I think Pikachu is one of the best designed, most charismatic Pokémon in existence. They really struck gold with this one and are really lucky they decided on this one for their mascot. Pikachu is traditionally cute and cuddly looking but also very distinct and easily adapted to look "cool" if that's what's needed. Just think about Ash's Pikachu, it's adorable and friendly but can also look awesome when launching a giant Thunderbolt. Also Pikachu's coloration is a stroke of genius. There's not a lot of other mascots out there that are yellow since it's inherently a bit of a riskier color choice. It's not as inviting as blue or pink and not as traditionally cool as red, but it does let Pikachu stand out. That paired with the red cheeks makes Pikachu iconic.

If you saw this image:
uOFRPVw.png

I bet nearly every single person who reads this would immediately identify it as Pikachu, even though it's no more than two red circles on a yellow background. Pikachu's design is that simple yet recognizable.

Pikachu also caused a generation to associate electricity with the color Yellow. Electricity almost never occurs naturally as that color (it's usually blue or white) but because of its signature moves that brilliantly designed tail, Pikachu's color and element become inextricably linked.

• Staff
I bet nearly every single person who reads this would immediately identify it as Pikachu, even though it's no more than two red circles on a yellow background. Pikachu's design is that simple yet recognizable.
Actually, I associated that image with cockatiel cheeks, because I own a cockatiel.

In any case, I do rather like Pikachu as a whole, and I think that it works very well as a series mascot.
What I am not fond of is the continuing trend of electric rodent clones that have all attempted to capitalize on Pikachu's success. I just don't like Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne, or Togedemaru as much. If they want something cute with a similar color scheme to Pikachu, they could use other types of animals, such as the aforementioned cockatiel, which were yellow and had bright red or orange cheeks before it was cool.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Of course I love it. It's Pikachu :)

How is this Pokémon in-game?
I'd have to say that it's only decent at best. It can last on its own for quite a bit if you get in early in the game, but by the halfway point, opponents can become too much for it and soon it's time to grab a Thunder Stone.

Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I've loved him up until XYZ. For some reason they've decided to make him completely ooc compared to his former self in Sun and Moon and I can't stand it. I have to say that Jimmy's rock n' roll Pikachu, Spike is one of my favorites in the series.

How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Sort of like a typical mouse, scurrying around, looking for food, being little pests. The only difference would be that it would constantly be seeking electricity.

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Honestly...no. I don't think there's a single thing about Pikachu that would make me want to change it.

Does Pikachu make for a good series mascot? If not, which Pokémon do you feel would be a better choice?
Sure. It's easily recognizable, pretty unique when compared to other series mascots, super cute and can be super tough as well. Perfect for males and females of all ages :)

Do you think that Pikachu receives too much attention?
Well sometimes, but that can't be helped. Naturally the mascot will receive the most attention. The only time it not only annoyed me, but angered me was in Pokemon Adventures manga. Ash's Pikachu getting the most focus above the rest of his Pokemon makes sense, because he's his starter. Pika and Chuchu getting the most attention and Red and Yellow's teams respectively made absolutely no sense (minus the mascot excuse) and I hated it because they are not their starters. It made me nearly hate the characters (Pokemon and human) entirely. From a storytelling point of view it especially didn't make sense. Red's had much more positive experiences and bonding moments catching Poli and Saur than he did with Pika in the beginning. They were loyal and fought for him with all of their power when Pika just acted like a little brat. So why was Pika always thought of in such high regard? Why did they call Pika the leader of Red's team when it should have been Poli or at the very least, Saur? I didn't mind Pika getting a bit of focus when he was still starting to bond with Red in the beginning, but when he started acting like the only Pokemon on Red's team, his trump card, and most reliable member, that's when I got irritated. And Yellow obtained Chuchu dead last; 3 freaking years following her original story arc. They basically ignored Ratty and all of the other teammates that went through her adventure with her in the Yellow arc for for another damn Pikachu. And why? Just to introduce Pibu? They literally could have given anyone else a dang female Pikachu for that. At the very least they could have had Chuchu only act as a means for bringing in Pibu and not had her essentially act as Yellow's new main Pokemon.

Pikachu's physical appearance has changed in the past 20 years. What do you think about Pikachu's newer appearance in comparison to it older appearance?
Still cute and honestly I prefer it:3

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom