• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly and Sudowoodo

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Bonsly and Sudowoodo!
250px-438Bonsly.png
250px-185Sudowoodo.png
Sudowoodo is an odd Pokémon. Introduced in Generation II, this Rock-type was one of the few Pokémon to be found exclusively in the overworld, disguising itself as an inconveniently placed tree that can be provoked into attacking by the SquirtBottle. It is known for its wood-like appearance and relatively flexible body (for a Rock-type) that it uses to simulate the shaking of a small tree. Sudowoodo's inspiration appears to be a spin on petrified wood, that is wood that has become fossilized into stone but retains its original shape perfectly. Though it normally just mimics trees, it is known to imitate the actions of other Pokémon as well, which is reflected in its moveset by attacks such as Mimic an Copycat. In Pokémon X and Y, Sudowoodo can be encountered in Horde Battles along with Trevenant, indicating it might have a preference for imitating Grass-type Pokémon.

In Generation IV, Sudowoodo received a pre-evolution called Bonsly. This Pokémon also resembles a plant despite its stone body, specifically a potted bonsai tree. Bonsly doesn't appear to be as interested in blending in with plants as Sudowoodo is though. Generation IV also brought Mime Jr, a pre-evolution for Mr. Mime. The Mime Jr. and Bonsly families are version exclusives in their premiere games, making them counterparts to a certain degree. Both also evolve by leveling up while knowing Mimic and have a theme of imitating other things.

Sudowoodo has never stood out competitively, but it's by no means a weak Pokémon. This Pokémon has very low speed, but slightly above average attack and sizable defense. It has two strong abilities in Sturdy and Rock Head. Sturdy keeps Sudowoodo from being one hit KO'd by nearly any attack, which helps make up for its relative lack of special defense and HP. Rock Head pairs well with its range of powerful but usually risky moves like Wood Hammer and Head Smash, the former being a rare type for Rock-types to have access to that can give Sudowoodo an edge over Ground and Water types. Other notable moves it has access to is the Fighting type Hammer Arm and the high priority Sucker Punch.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Do you think of Mr. Mime as a counterpart to Sudowoodo even though they had no connection when they were introduced?
  • Would you like to see more Pokémon serving as roadblocks in the future?
  • Did Sudowoodo's typing ever confuse you when learning about the Pokémon?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu

Sudowood's alright, but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites. Same with Bonsly. I like how it's based on the concept of bonsai and a petrified tree, although when it comes to Pokémon based on Japanese art forms, I'm more of a Kartana guy.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I like the concept and how it has been used as a roadblock in the games.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Unfortunately quite lackluster, although in Gen II and remakes it could pull its weight, being at its final form early in the game and not falling behind too much until the League as the League was earlier level-wise in those games.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Haven't tried.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I liked Brock's Sudowoodo.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
People would find it strange, kids would like to play with it.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Grass/Rock typing would be great, better stats and Ability.
Do you think of Mr. Mime as a counterpart to Sudowoodo even though they had no connection when they were introduced?
Not really although there sure are similarities and Brock having Bonsly while James had Mime Jr. sure was nice.
Would you like to see more Pokémon serving as roadblocks in the future?
Sure, although this one felt a bit less convincing than Snorlax because of its body shape.
Did Sudowoodo's typing ever confuse you when learning about the Pokémon?
I think I had Quilava use a Fire attack on it thinking it is Grass but the moment I saw it was not-very-effective Fire I immediately understood it was pure Rock. Not sure if I remember correctly though as it's been a long while and I was pretty sure of its typing for several playthroughs of Johto.

I remember thinking Sudowoodo was a really powerful Pokemon when I was a kid. Likely because it was a one-of-a-kind as far as I knew. It needs better stats - give it more HP and Sp.Def. There's some potential there but it needs further refining and they can always move Mimic to a higher level on Bonsly if higher stats means they don't want it evolving so early. Still kinda hoping it gets a Mega (or an evolution) where it grows a big bushy afro like a child's drawing of a tree. They can probably just say it's moss or whatever starting to grow on it from standing still for so long. We need more fun Mega designs like Slowbro, if they return in the future.

I like Sudowoodo's design. It's cute and kinda silly - especially one of its animations. The simplistic design also helps it too, I think, since it's simplistic in a way where it doesn't look like it's meant to be an actual tree, so the concept was somewhat understandable as a kid once you saw its type (that being it's pretending to be a tree, not necessarily knowing the petrified wood basis). Bonsly is pretty fun too.

Best thing with Sudowoodo is it being used on Miror B's team along with all the dancing Ludicolo. I remember it bursting out of the ball a few times, but when that track is playing it was hard to feel frustrated. It being part of a Trevenant horde in XY was also very amusing and a nice inclusion.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I like it for its quirky design and interesting typing.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
I don't really remember, but I'd use it anyways, lol.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I'm not really a competitive player exactly, but I'd give it Wood Hammer of course.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Yes, I do. Brock's Sudowoodo is memorable, and I also liked that Water-tolerant gold Sudowoodo from that one Gen III episode.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Unfortunately, I doubt that camouflage would help it much here. Fortunately, it's not like there's much for a creature made of solid rock to hide from.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
I don't think I'd change a thing.
Do you think of Mr. Mime as a counterpart to Sudowoodo even though they had no connection when they were introduced?
Yes, I do. Maybe it has something to do with my first game being Pokémon Diamond.
Would you like to see more Pokémon serving as roadblocks in the future?
Sure.
Did Sudowoodo's typing ever confuse you when learning about the Pokémon?
Nah, the anime made it clear to me from the start.

I do enjoy Pokémon acting as obstacles.
Snorlax in Gen I.
Sudowoodo in Gen II.
Kecleon in Gen III.
Psyduck in Gen IV.
Galvantula webs in Gen V.
Snorlax again in Gen VI.

As a Pokémon, though I'm not particularly fond of Sudowoodo. It's design is okay, and it's name is pretty funny.
Sudowoodo's stats aren't great, and it's moveset is somewhat lackluster, though it does have some interesting combinations, like Wood Hammer, Head Smash, and Rock Head.

I didn't really think that baby Pokémon were necessary when they were introduced in Gen II, and the introduction of Bonsly and Mime Jr. in Gen IV, was fairly pointless.

I think the thing I like most about Sudowoodo is that its shiny form kinda looks like a tree in autumn.

I sort of like sudowoodo. I enjoy it when pokemon act as obstacles in the overworld, as pokemon don't play as much of a role in the overworld as they should. The design is simple but fun, I like the idea of a rock-thing standing around pretending to be a tree. I'm glad it's not a grass-type, as while that would help it stand out more competitively, it doesn't fit flavor-wise. Speaking of competitiveness, it's another example of gamefreak being needlessly cruel shitheads with stat distributions. Like, 410 bst, really? I get that not all pokemon can or should have good stats, but geez, the overkill during the first three generations is ridiculous. At least they threw the poor thing a bone with rock head head smash...

I'd probably like it more, but for some reason its eternal smile irks me. I couldn't tell you exactly why, it just doesn't look good on sudowoodo to me, I prefer the neutral expression it had in its older sprites and artwork. I'd say I prefer bonsly to sudowoodo, partially for this reason, and partially because bonsly is cuter in general. It's one of the better baby pokemon.

I like Sudowoodo quite a lot, although it isn't my favourite pure Rock-type (I like Midday and Dusk Lycanroc better). I loved it when it was a roadblock in Johto games and Emerald, as Pokemon are much better roadblocks than random NPCs, even though I prefer natural obstacles like water, boulders, and breakable rocks. My first Pokemon game was FireRed, and I remember seeing it on a Hiker/Ruin Maniac's team and thinking it was a Grass-type.
Sudowoodo's Abilities are pretty decent, and it has a good movepool, with moves like Head Smash, Knock Off, the elemental punches, Hammer Arm,Wood Hammer, and Sucker Punch. I wish it had more Attack and HP, though.
I also liked it how it appeared in hordes with Trevenant in X/Y given its tendency to mimic a tree.
Bonsly is somewhat plain-looking, but then again, I don't like most Baby Pokemon in general.
I remember Brock's Bonsly/Sudowoodo in the anime, and I was disappointed to see it lose to a Nurse Joy's Chansey, since the latter had nothing but Normal-type moves.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom