• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People say that Stars will not be a thing and we will have another Z on our hands but I like to ask where the proof of that, just because it seems like this year is probably a break year doesn't mean that we won't get Stars in a year or two
@Silktree already have a source the next pokemon being on 3ds, because they're hiring a staff member for 3ds RPG, Eurogamer stated that "Stars" will be Switch Exclusive, wouldn't that debunk the rumor of "Stars", plus they moved on from third game since Platinum anyway, Finally they only care about the sell. Paired games like XY and Sun/Moon sell better than third game and remake sell better also.

Hmmm that's very interesting. If they had just left it at their original article then I'd say maybe it was a false lead for them, but if they're actively continuing to hint towards Stars being real then they must know more than they originally stated back in November. At the very least they must have great confidence in their sources and have maybe seen proof of Stars themselves.

They must know more than they did in November? Then they would tell us; Tom Phillips has made it clear that he doesn't care about spoiling Nintendo's surprises. Chances are that he trusts his source, but doesn't have anything else to go on.

As a reminder, Eurogamer said that Mario would be released in March and Zelda wouldn't, so let's be careful here. And for anyone expecting an E3 surprise:

“Our various E3 activities will showcase the next steps for Nintendo Switch, from a summer of social competitive gaming to a holiday season highlighted by a milestone Mario adventure,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America.
Nintendo is treating Mario as the highlight... I'm pretty sure that they would hail Stars as equally important, even if it were just a third version. Granted, Reggie wouldn't mention an unannounced game, but why imply that the biggest game has already been announced? I find it hard to swallow that TPCi would wait until E3 for the first time ever, only for Mario to be prioritized.

Add that to the clear evidence of a 3DS game, the New 2DS' upcoming release and the 3DS having higher software projections than the Switch... The Eurogamer rumor stinks like an avocado from November.

Last edited:
Except it is obvious that they need to move onto the Switch for the next generation, which is already in development.

So no, it doesn't make a 3DS release any less likely. These are obviously separate projects.

The Mario adventure that they are hinting at is the Mario x Rabbids RPG arriving in either August or September.
It was meant to be a surprise for E3, but you know how the Internet is. :p

Yeah.......Nintendo's big thing for E3 this year is definitely Mario Odyssey. I'd imagine they were planning on revealing MarioXRabbids, but that would have been a side thing in comparison to their Odyssey segments. That said I still don't think it's out of the question that a Pokemon game could be announced at E3. Yes it's never been done before, but that doesn't mean it can't ever. Pokemon had never had a presence at E3 before, but suddenly with XY it was center stage. Things change. One of the reasons Pokemon likely never had anything at E3 was because the releases of the games were so divided. Advertising for the games wasn't shared between countries and usually it took months for the new games to start getting shown off in countries other than Japan. Now however their advertising can be singular and precise. When they push a commercial or announcement it can go out to the entire world. The ecosystem Pokemon lives in now is different than it was in the past. I'm still tempering my expectations as I don't want to get my hopes up, but the fact that Eurogamer is still sticking to the idea that Stars exists to me means something. If their info had come up wrong at any point in the past 6-7 months I highly doubt they'd continue to push the idea. If they have THAT much confidence in their source then I think that's an important thing to take into account. I won't say they got everything right, but even half truths are true in some way. For all we know Stars DOES exist, but it won't be released until next year. Does that mean Eurogamer or their source are liars? No it doesn't. It just means things change and they can't keep us up to date at all times. Anyway I guess we'll just have to see. I think once E3 comes and goes we'll know exactly where we stand once and for all. Or maybe not lol

Last edited:
It would be hard to believe that Game Freak would forego it's own independent announcement of a Pokemon game to share the spotlight with other Nintendo properties.

Bottom line: Unless GF pulls a Beyonce and announces a game out of nowhere, I think the likelihood of a Pokemon game being announced at E3 is slim to none.

If Eurogamer is wrong about the release year and the system (anyone who denies that the 3DS is going to be involved is being naive or a devil's advocate), then what exactly are they right about? The third version part is fishy as hell and they didn't even provide any details to substantiate that.

So yeah, E3 will make or break the Stars rumor. You can't give Eurogamer the benefit of the doubt forever just because they can't admit to being wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah, let's ignore the clear evidence of a 3DS RPG being on the way. Like, you can second guess the assumption that it's a Pokemon game, but firmly reject something so reasonable? Denial much?

What is possible is that it's cross-platform, but that would still make Tom Phillips wrong since one of his original tweets ruled that out.

Last edited:
So, it seems that there is another stars-related merchandise line coming: Pokémon Center Tohoku se renueva y tiene preparados varios eventos para este verano

This could mean nothing, but it made me thought that it makes sense for a stars-related game to be announced in Tanabata, the first week of july, for a november-december release.
As I was forced to translate this via google translate, I don't really see any connection to Stars, other than Victini and Jirachi, but they could just be random legendary Pokemon being released as a plush or whatnot.
This could mean nothing, but it made me thought that it makes sense for a stars-related game to be announced in Tanabata, the first week of july, for a november-december release.
If announced July, a November-December release is definitely too early, as it usually takes around half a year to develop the whole game. Also pretty much everyone is setting up a E3 deadline, which does make sense because Pokemon core series games usually are announced prior to E3, unless GF wants to spice things up this year
They're also hiring for a world famous Switch RPG. The point stands both ways.
What other world famous RPG's are there? Tons (Xenoblade, Paper Mario, LoZ), so if you are arguing for Stars, that's really not a strong arguement

I'm now highly doubting Stars coming out this year, mainly because if there was a new Pokemon game announced it would have been already. Though we still have time left each day that passes without any new info just makes everything worse. I dunno, E3 may present Pokemon Stars, but as you guys said above it's already focused on Super Mario Odyssey.
I'm saying quits at around June 10th for info that's not at E3. E3 would be right around the corner and there would be no point in announcing Stars then.

So, it seems that there is another stars-related merchandise line coming: Pokémon Center Tohoku se renueva y tiene preparados varios eventos para este verano

What makes you say it's stars-related? Jirachi? Because that's the only thing, and even then, I'm sure they give one out every year for Tanabata.

The rest is for the Pokemon Center in Tohoku, which is reopening, so I wouldn't think it means anything towards a Pokemon Stars.

They're also hiring for a world famous Switch RPG. The point stands both ways.

True, but that doesn't mean Stars. The hiring for Pokemon on Switch is just as likely to be Gen VIII.

What other world famous RPG's are there? Tons (Xenoblade, Paper Mario, LoZ), so if you are arguing for Stars, that's really not a strong arguement

Lol, you do know this was a Gamefreak specific job listing, right? It's Pokemon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom