• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If the next game will be a Cross-Platform of New 3DS and Switch, I don't mind, because it'll be the first time that Main series have a Cross-Platform games.

View: https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/868466467062206464

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Now granted coming from him could mean a side game or whatever, but you deny that there is just as much "proof" for a Switch game as there is for a 3DS game. At this point we don't really know, but I would say that going hard line into one camp over the other is a little ridiculous. Especially when there is basically the same amount of "proof" in both corners.

That article is from September. Since then Ishihara has said the following:

Q: How will Pokemon be handled on the Switch?

Until now we've developed Pokemon exclusively for portable games consoles. With no connection to home-play, a pro for portable consoles has been trading and battling with friends on the go. The Switch, however, being a portable home console, has some different qualities compared to portables. The screen is bigger, the specs are higher.

Because of that, if we are to release Pokemon on the Switch, we cannot go about software the way we have been so far. Apart from mainline Pokemon games, we also develop spin-off titles like Pokken Tournament, a fighting game, and Mystery Dungeon, a dungeon crawler. From among those titles, I am thinking it is a good idea to support, in turn, the ones that make sense for the hardware. My apologies but at this time, however, I am not in a position to announce anything specific.

I personally think that a cross-platform release is likely, but I am rolling my eyes at anyone who doesn't expect the 3DS to be involved. They're developing a 3DS RPG and it has no reason to be anything but a main series Pokemon game.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Pokken port before anything else.

Last edited:
It honestly doesn't matter what system the game comes out on. Sure it'd be better if ti was for the Switch given how the Switch is a MUCH better system (minis the current handheld battery) But I suppose it does stay in line with how GF works to stay on the 3DS for at least one more game. With Monster Hunter just being announced to have cross play abilities with both the Switch and 3DS it's definitely not TOTALLY out of the question for there to be a multi platform release. I still don't think that's the most likely option, but hey stranger things have happen lol

Looking at how similar the 3DS and Switch versions of XX are, I think that the notion "Switch=much better game" is unfounded. Not when Game Freak haven't had time to really get used to HD development.

That article is from September. Since then Ishihara has said the following:

I personally think that a cross-platform release is likely, but I am rolling my eyes at anyone who doesn't expect the 3DS to be involved. They're developing a 3DS RPG and it has no reason to be anything but a main series Pokemon game.

Now there's better chance of pokemon being on cross-platform. It's possible to trade pokemon from 3ds and switch instead defending it on bank. With the hiring of programmer for Switch and the hiring RPG for 3ds, I don't know if the game will release this year or not?

Eh, my bet is that it won't. But an early 2018 release date is certainly possible judging from Nintendo's expectations from the 3DS software-wise.

Looking at how similar the 3DS and Switch versions of XX are, I think that the notion "Switch=much better game" is unfounded. Not when Game Freak haven't had time to really get used to HD development.

I can't say much about the Monster Hunter graphics on the Switch as I haven't really been paying attention, but yes the Switch is better.......It has a higher res screen, it's got better out put capacity, (there's no way that something like Zelda BOTW could have run on the 3DS) and due to it's nature of being a hybrid it'll likely have a more robust catalog of games. (bringing both handheld and home console games together) The one thing the 3DS has on it in the long term is the battery life and even then that will likely be fixed in the next iteration. Anyway my point wasn't to talk about how the Switch is better than the 3DS. My point was that there is just as much "evidence" for a new game to come out on the Switch as there is for one to come out on the 3DS.

Eh, my bet is that it won't. But an early 2018 release date is certainly possible judging from Nintendo's expectations from the 3DS software-wise.
True, In 2019, Gen VIII is possible and be on Switch Exclusive is a stronger case, and they'll discontinued 3ds in 2019.

Here's how it'll go down:
2017 - break year
2018 - Kanto/Johto Sequel or Diamond/Pearl remake for 3DS/Switch.
2019 - Gen VIII Switch Exclusive

I'm saying that Game Freak are not going to go out of their way to improve the graphics for any game this generation. So making the next game Switch-exclusive would really be for no one's benefit other than maybe Nintendo (who are making a new 3DS iteration). A cross-platform release would make it possible for Switch enthusiasts to enjoy so differences that are not a big deal to others.

Still rolling my eyes at the "same evidence" argument when anything but the Eurogamer rumor just implies Switch games down the line rather than anything specific. We know that the Switch has a future; what is notable is the fact that 3DS still has one as far as Game Freak is concerned. Why that would the case be for a random new RPG series, I can't even fathom.

Um you do realize I put same evidence in quotes for a reason right? Obviously there is no REAL evidence pointing one way or the other. That's why I put the quotes. The point is that there is nothing pointing hard to either side. Even if you just use the job listings and exclude the Eurogamer rumor as "evidence" GF have put out not only that 3DS job listing, but also a listing for a job that would entail working on a world famous rpg that would be on a system the level around the Wii U and PS vita kind of graphics. So yes at this point we have just as much "evidence" pointing in both directions.........

What is so hard to understand that they should be working on the Switch for the next generation, anyway? How does that point to the 3DS being excluded for the rest of this generation?

We have one possibility that explains both listings perfectly, and another that hinges on a fairly remote possibility involving some random new RPG.

"Possible hints" are the words you all are looking for. There's no actual evidence for either case, even both listings could point at another game we don't know about yet. Hell, maybe it's the same game being released on both the Switch and the 3DS :p The one for the Switch could possibly be about the Switch Fire Emblem game too, I do think Fire Emblem also counts as a 'world famous RPG' and it's to be released in 2018 I think, so this is not a bad time to start hiring for it. At least iirc, that hiring was from Nintendo and not GF itself right? Only the 3DS RPG one was from GF.

But yeah, the real answer here is that we just don't know, neither side here is in the wrong or right yet.

I think they wanted a pokemon game to Switch than 3DS, because Sun/Moon did pushed it's limit on 3DS and didn't want the next game to be lagging, they wanted to experience what would pokemon look like on HD.

@Saraform I feel like you're being a little too ridged about what they can and can't do. at the end of the day it's up the GF when they want to jump to the Switch. Yes it makes sense to stay on the 3DS for another game, but it's not like there is anything stopping them from making a clean break and going to the Switch. Maybe they are making a smaller rpg? Who knows at this point? Are they not allowed to do so? If they were (hypothetically) planning to make the jump to the Switch that would mean they'd have their bigger series off the 3DS and they could devote some time to making another rpg that wouldn't really compete with Pokemon. Yes they've never jumped consoles mid gen before, but they've also never had this kind of opportunity before either. The Switch is a new concept and I wouldn't put it past GF to see it as a worth while investment to put a little more time into the system than they have done with past systems. they COULD wait until next gen to make the jump, but at this point it's not like there's anything stopping them.

If they wanted a new RPG separate from Pokemon without any direct competition, they would release it on non-Nintendo platforms (hi Tembo and Giga Wrecker). The 3DS only makes sense for established series at this point.

Oh well. This is a broken record and it won't change until we get announcement, which I doubt will happen next month.

they COULD wait until next gen to make the jump, but at this point it's not like there's anything stopping them.
What? HD development takes time and experience. If Capcom, a much bigger company, can't pump out a proper Switch game this year, I don't see why Game Freak would.

Last edited:
What? HD development takes time and experience. If Capcom, a much bigger company, can't pump out a proper Switch game this year, I don't see why Game Freak would.

It really depends on what their production schedule is and what they planned to have happen up to this year......We honestly don't know what either Capcom or GF have planned. In any event you're right we prolly won't agree 100% on this so it's prolly better to agree to disagree. Anyway I'd say that we'll prolly know for sure what the next Pokemon game is(main series or spin off) by the end of E3. I doubt Takashi Mochizuki would bring that article up unless we were gonna get something announced soon (or at least by E3). Anyway we'll just have to wait and see.

No, it was mentioned because:
Okay thanks, because I didn't know what Capcom is at first. Tbh, I don't what GF are planning, I'm starting to assumed that this might be a break year and we'll get something in early next year.

Back
Top Bottom