• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
'blurry text' on atleast two seperate occasions during gameplay.

Shoot, it was sprinkled all throughout the game for me, and I was playing on a New 3DS XL.

There's also the noticable stall at the beginning of Double Battles, where the opposing Trainers just stand there like statues. Of course, Double Battles in general are a bit on the laggy side, which should be considered unacceptable given how much they emphasize them in competitive.

Pokémon already reached the limits of the 3DS (as been said a million times by now).
I don't not believe you, I'm just curious - is it blatantly obvious from playing the games that the 3DS is at its limit, or is there any further information on it (i.e. official word)?

I don't not believe you, I'm just curious - is it blatantly obvious from playing the games that the 3DS is at its limit, or is there any further information on it (i.e. official word)?

Define "blatant", that content that has been in the games since their inception (Triple/Rotation battles) had to be removed to make room for the new battle modes should say volumes, but also consider that several mega stones were also unavailable with the Megas being limited to most Pokemon you can catch in S/M itself, Raquayza and the Kanto Starters. Mega Evolutions like regional variants, changed the Pokémon to varying degrees, and thus require separate models. And chances are that that they might had ran out of room for the models (though the Battle tree having them cameo would contradict that theory but one still has to wonder why GF chose to remove most of the stones)

The PSS' removal might also be a factor. Instead of 3 infinite lists of people you can contact at will you're limited to maybe 21 models of human players and 7 or so NPCs, It's possible thatt he 3DS' limitations might had made the convenience of the PSS mutually exclusive with their plans for the Festival Plaza or that they could had bring ina Join Avenue proper and the PSS, but the limits of the console forced them to compromise and mash the two systems together.

On the other hand, Masuda apparently claims that he doesn't want to franchise to be predictable so its possible that features that players liked were placed on a "rotation" of sorts not being present in other games to make their return more special. (The exception being Amie and the GTS and that I think stems more due to the emphasis on bonds and social interaction)

I don't know where this term hybrid system is coming from, Nintendo has never stated the switch is a hybrid system or that their combining both the game lines into switch.

They've stated more than once the 3ds is their mobile system and switch is their home console.

Until Nintendo says hey we're done with 3ds and switch is our hybrid do it all system and all our games are coming out on switch it's ridiculous to treat switch as anything other than what Nintendo says it is.

Pokemon comes out on 3ds,until its stated otherwise you can call switch whatever you like and think it's whatever you imagine but if you wanna play Nintendo's mobile game lines you better own a 3ds

Considering I saw the Switch being played on a smaller screen and on airplanes, it is a hybrid system. A portable home console. That's what many people were describing it as. And I recall that Nintendo has done a lot of PR talk and plausible deniability before. They said that Zelda Wii U will be released in 2016 and only for the Wii U, not ported to the Switch. They said that the DS won't replace the GBA. The list goes on. All I know is that there is some kind of limitation going on with Sun & Moon, and the Switch's portability removed one of the major obstacles for a main console Pokémon game.

Considering I saw the Switch being played on a smaller screen and on airplanes, it is a hybrid system. A portable home console. That's what many people were describing it as. And I recall that Nintendo has done a lot of PR talk and plausible deniability before. They said that Zelda Wii U will be released in 2016 and only for the Wii U, not ported to the Switch. They said that the DS won't replace the GBA. The list goes on. All I know is that there is some kind of limitation going on with Sun & Moon, and the Switch's portability removed one of the major obstacles for a main console Pokémon game.
In the case of Zelda they didn't wanna waste it on Wii u so they just held into it for switch.

The GBA Nintendo had 3 systems at the time,right now Wii u production in done so they only have 2 consoles.

Yeah 3ds will end some day but not right now or anytime soon.

During this last holiday season 3ds rivaled ps4 in sales and in some regions was the best selling console on the market.

Nintendo isn't gonna ditch it anytime soon it'd be stupid too,is ps4 gonna stop soon? 3ds has still sold slightly more units than ps4,and because of backwards compatibility has the biggest active game library of any current gen console.

With sales like the 3ds line have and it's huge install base to lure delevopers to it won't be going anywhere.

In the case of Zelda they didn't wanna waste it on Wii u so they just held into it for switch.

The GBA Nintendo had 3 systems at the time,right now Wii u production in done so they only have 2 consoles.

Yeah 3ds will end some day but not right now or anytime soon.

During this last holiday season 3ds rivaled ps4 in sales and in some regions was the best selling console on the market.

Nintendo isn't gonna ditch it anytime soon it'd be stupid too,is ps4 gonna stop soon? 3ds has still sold slightly more units than ps4,and because of backwards compatibility has the biggest active game library of any current gen console.

With sales like the 3ds line have and it's huge install base to lure delevopers to it won't be going anywhere.

That does not change the fact that the Switch is a portable console as well as a home console. That's why people call it a hybrid. It is what it is.

The 3DS is being milked for all its worth, but we are seeing that games are now coming out for the new 3DS exclusively rather than all 3DS families. PR talks can only last for so long. And patterns can be broken. We also know that Pokémon has pushed the limits of the 3DS and they likely have heard about demands for a home console Pokémon game. Point is, without a true successor to the 3DS, Pokémon's future will have to look at the Switch.

1) That Stars will introduce anything new competitive wise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but generally, the only changes to any Pokemon in a third game is to the legendary-and legendaries are already banned from competitive play.
Regardless of whether or not this sort of thing does happen or not, I'm almost certain that it would be enforced as the competitive standard that everyone would have to abide by. It was simply easier on the Nintendo 3DS since the switch was to Oras mid-Generation on the same system, and not an entirely new platform merely 1 year into the life cycle of its own Generation - That, right there, along with the steep price of entry for a "handheld" (I am still really salty about that $470AUD price tag when it should cost $400 if you can't already tell, and mind you, the New Nintendo 3DS XL costs ~$250 AUD by comparison, almost half the price) without the game included in a bundle (as is the case with special 2DS bundles in many cases) would cause a lot more problems if they started putting the games out for the Nintendo Switch this early, especially for those players who even merely want to play the new game and paid a good amount of cash for the old system where they're forced to buy something double its price just to play the new one a year after the old one has made its mark.

By all means, I wouldn't mind something on that system, just not this early - especially since Nintendo still have not given us the full details on pricepoints for the paid online services yet and whether or not Pokémon will use it. Would they want to risk alienating several aspiring and veteran Pokémon competitors without even telling us the additional ongoing costs of entry into the online world that is Nintendo Switch's online multiplayer functionality?

But Game Freak isn't going to ditch the 3DS before Gen VIII. And they would certainly want that Pokémon doesn't charge people for online battles and trade. How much is the online fee?
It is not necessary for all games to join the payed service.

is ps4 gonna stop soon?
The PS4 is
1. A CONSOLE. It is totally NOT competing with the 3DS
2. FYI, the 3DS is 3 years older than the PS4.

It is completely obvious. All you need to do is consider the facts. Pokémon SM experienced lag. That right there is a clear indicator that the console is having a difficult time running the game. They also had to remove battle modes (triple and rotation), and I think we can agree they didn't remove them just for the sake of removing them. There was also 'blurry text' that people experienced during gameplay as well. All these things make it very clear that Pokémon SM has reached the limits of the 3DS, and that is why there should not be anymore Pokémon games for 3DS. No Pokémon game after SM released on 3DS will be an improvement. The longer Pokémon stays on the 3DS, the longer it's 'growth' will be on hiatus. Whether Pokémon stars is real or not is still up in the air, however, i believe the next main series games will be on Nintendo Switch, whether it is Pokémon Stars or Gen VIII.

Pokémon SM experienced lag. That right there is a clear indicator that the console is having a difficult time running the game. They also had to remove battle modes (triple and rotation), and I think we can agree they didn't remove them just for the sake of removing them.
Not to doubt you on this point or anything, but it's also known that Game Freak do not optimise their games as much as we would like them to do so on 3DS, and I cite Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS as an example of a game that has been properly optimised - though the way they did it was through sacrificing some of the overall quality of the game itself. It's definitely a combination of factors at work, here, since they made bigger battlefields, have rather detailed wireframe models for player character appearing alongside the even more highly detailed Pokémon wireframe models and various visual effects to go along with it for the typical player. They don't sacrifice visual flair for single-frame shots, it seems.

Not to doubt you on this point or anything, but it's also known that Game Freak do not optimise their games as much as we would like them to do so on 3DS, and I cite Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS as an example of a game that has been properly optimised - though the way they did it was through sacrificing some of the overall quality of the game itself. It's definitely a combination of factors at work, here, since they made bigger battlefields, have rather detailed wireframe models for player character appearing alongside the even more highly detailed Pokémon wireframe models and various visual effects to go along with it for the typical player. They don't sacrifice visual flair for single-frame shots, it seems.

They did optimise their games for the 3DS. Look at the size of these games compared to the previous games. They added as much as they could into SM to make it as good as they can, however, in doing so, they had to sacrifice other features. What do you expect Pokémon Stars (or gen VIII) will bring to us that SM couldn't, if these games are released on the 3DS? It is very well known at this point that their games pushed the 3DS' limits, as, even if they didn't optimise the games, like you said, there still wouldn't be any lag in the game. My point still stands that if a console can run a game effectively, it would run a game lag free. All the evidence is there.

You can say that all you want, the point of Nintendo Switch is to combine handheld and main console gaming. It literally makes no difference whether it is supposed to be 'more console' or more 'handheld', It is literally still both a console and handheld combined into one, and that is what it is supposed to be. It is a hybrid console, and again, I'll say there is no point in Nintendo making Switch a hybrid console if they were still planning on creating handheld consoles (unless they created a cheaper handheld only switch).

Pokémon will most likely be moved onto Nintendo Switch. It will be silly for Nintendo to create a hybrid system, then create an entirely new handheld system that doesn't play Switch games, and then release Pokémon purely for that new console. That doesn't even make any sense. If anyone believes this will happen, then they are taking the term 'wishful thinking' to entirely new levels of denial.
I'm not denying the fact that the Switch is both handheld and console. I'm stating my opinion and speculation - that's the point of the thread. No salt needed

I'm not denying the fact that the Switch is both handheld and console. I'm stating my opinion and speculation - that's the point of the thread. No salt needed

No salt added. I was simply providing a logical argument.

How would the mechanism of a hypothetical Pokémon Stars work?
Sun represents day, Moon represents night, stars represent what?
Day starts at sunrise.
Night starts at sunset.
What will you put between them? Twilight? There's two of them: dawn and dusk.
Will the game be set 6 hours after your local time or 6 hours before it?
And into what will Cosmog fully evolve in the game?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

No salt added. I was simply providing a logical argument.
Ok then. Though I just rewatched the Fire Emblem Direct. If Pokemon is going to be on the Switch, it's gonna have to be confined at home, just like that Fire Emblem game. I mean, Nintendo definitely moved away from 1-screen for handhelds, so why bother return?
If I sounded salty before, I'm sorry. Ain't mean to be so agitated.

Cosmog will evolve into Necrozma of course. It'll probably happen during an eclipse or some astronomical event to explain why Cosmog couldn't evolve into Necrozma before.
I don't like the idea of Cosmog evolving into Necrozma for some reason, mostly because I see it as distinct from the two other legandaries. I think it fits more with the other ultra beasts.

I don't like the idea of Cosmog evolving into Necrozma for some reason, mostly because I see it as distinct from the two other legandaries. I think it fits more with the other ultra beasts.

1. Necrozma is no Ultra Beast.

2. It could be day or night-based evolution. Sort of like Tyrunt and Amaura.

Ok then. Though I just rewatched the Fire Emblem Direct. If Pokemon is going to be on the Switch, it's gonna have to be confined at home, just like that Fire Emblem game. I mean, Nintendo definitely moved away from 1-screen for handhelds, so why bother return?
If I sounded salty before, I'm sorry. Ain't mean to be so agitated.

Why would it be confined at home? I hadn't watched the Fire Emblem Direct, so unfortunately I can't construct an argument against yours, however, I will say say that I don't currently see any issues with either Fire emblem or Pokémon playing on the handheld part of the Switch. If you're referring to Fire Emblem Warriors in particular, then I see no issue, as Nintendo Had created Hyrule Warriors both for Wii U and the 3DS handheld. If they can accomplish that, then I don't see what the issue here is.

How would the mechanism of a hypothetical Pokémon Stars work?
Sun represents day, Moon represents night, stars represent what?
Day starts at sunrise.
Night starts at sunset.
What will you put between them? Twilight? There's two of them: dawn and dusk.
Will the game be set 6 hours after your local time or 6 hours before it?
And into what will Cosmog fully evolve in the game?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Stars is just a code name just like Rainbow being the code name for Sun & Moon

Back
Top Bottom