• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you're referring to Fire Emblem Warriors in particular, then I see no issue, as Nintendo Had created Hyrule Warriors both for Wii U and the 3DS handheld. If they can accomplish that, then I don't see what the issue here is.
That's true, but both 3DS and Wii U have 2 screens. The Switch has one, handheld and connected to a TV. I haven't seen the console part of the switch and the handheld part of the switch work at the same time, so that's where my doubt comes from. Also, go watch the direct.

None of the Switch games in the FE Direct are going to be confined to console mode, taking games on the go is one of the Switch's biggest features. Also if only having one screen was a problem for Nintendo, then they would have given it a second screen. That's really a non-issue for Fire Emblem and Pokémon. Pokémon has survived without a second screen before, and it won't be a problem in future games if they have to go back to one screen.

That's true, but both 3DS and Wii U have 2 screens. The Switch has one, handheld and connected to a TV. I haven't seen the console part of the switch and the handheld part of the switch work at the same time, so that's where my doubt comes from. Also, go watch the direct.

It is impossible for Nintendo Switch to run as a handheld and on the tv at the same time because the handheld aspect of Nintendo Switch is the actual console. The part that connects to the television is simply a dock, or a 'shell' if you will. That being said, Pokémon has existed on a single screen for years and we all did alright with it. I have confidence that Gamefreak will find a way to utilise Pokémon games on single screened consoles if they have to.

why do you think that for the first time since Pokemon has been on two screens, the bottom screen is simply a map and shortcut to the (already really accessible) Pokedex?

What about Pokemon Refresh? And the entire Battle UI that could just clutter up the screen? Not saying it won't happen, I think Pokemon on Switch is super likely. But it sounds like a somewhat messy transition.

What about Pokemon Refresh? And the entire Battle UI that could just clutter up the screen? Not saying it won't happen, I think Pokemon on Switch is super likely. But it sounds like a somewhat messy transition.

If the Switch has a touchscreen (don't see a reason why it wouden't) then Refresh woudn't be an issue. The battle UI would also be easily solved by going back to the Gen 3-4's menu (where a small vertical list of options were placed on the right side of the screen, which would be wider on the Switch) and a direction to the already bag screens and their right aligned menus for the specific bag options.

Fun fact: Unlike Gen VI, Sun and Moon used the same UI for the Bag in and out of battle. just with a different background and rearranged items for obvious reasons. Gen 4-6 used a different UI which laid the items out in pages of 6 items each, much like the party UI

For the battle interface, a Reddit user posted a thread with a pic on how Pokemon would look on the Switch.
t51df1i5cpsx.jpg

Looks good, in my opinion.

Pokemon Refresh could be played easily on the mobile version, and on the console or tabletop versions they could either use motion control or have it be joystick controlled. Honestly that would probably be easier to control than the 3ds's touch screen. I never felt like it worked quite as I wanted it to

For the battle interface, a Reddit user posted a thread with a pic on how Pokemon would look on the Switch.
t51df1i5cpsx.jpg

Looks good, in my opinion.

Woah-ho-ho, that looks great! All they need is a button for the new status summary screen - could probably squeeze that in right next to the Poké Ball button, or underneath the Fight button (that'd probably make more sense).

Pokemon Refresh could be played easily on the mobile version, and on the console or tabletop versions they could either use motion control or have it be joystick controlled. Honestly that would probably be easier to control than the 3ds's touch screen. I never felt like it worked quite as I wanted it to
Imagine using your hand or finger. It'll almost feel like petting a real Pokemon. :)

It is impossible for Nintendo Switch to run as a handheld and on the tv at the same time because the handheld aspect of Nintendo Switch is the actual console. The part that connects to the television is simply a dock, or a 'shell' if you will. That being said, Pokémon has existed on a single screen for years and we all did alright with it. I have confidence that Gamefreak will find a way to utilise Pokémon games on single screened consoles if they have to.
I agree with that point, however judging by the screen size the screen resolution, unless they adjust it, won't be top notch.

Since the Reggie interview is all we have on the topic, I'm sticking with it. The Switch is not the 3DS's successor. The Switch actually is not that portable. It's more of a home console. It's more something you just take from room to room instead of everywhere you go.

Since the Reggie interview is all we have on the topic, I'm sticking with it. The Switch is not the 3DS's successor. The Switch actually is not that portable. It's more of a home console. It's more something you just take from room to room instead of everywhere you go.
It may not appear to be the 3DS's successor for now, but there is factually lag issues with the game (where did you hear "Nintendo" was fixing Sun and Moon's issues?) and a lack of certain content used in multiple games beforehand (the other battle types) that suggest a third version for the 3DS cannot add anymore. The Switch tablet, which can be charged to account for the battery life, IS portable, too, despite your claims that it's not, and the Switch being defined as a home console does not change that. It's just a tiny bit bigger than the New 3DS XL, and it can fit in a bag. Doesn't have to fit in a pocket to be considered portable.

Stars for the Switch is still possible. Not guaranteed, but possible. For now, you cannot prove that Stars being fake is a fact, much like we cannot prove Stars is real (not that we're certain it's real, anyways).

Aonuma (Producer of The Legend of Zelda series) has called Nintendo Switch "handheld device."

The big Zelda: Breath of the Wild interview

Aonuma said:
A major consideration at first was the fact Nintendo Switch allows players to play a game on their TV at home, and then to take that with them and keep playing the same game on a handheld device. We felt that was particularly suitable for Zelda, because of the immersive nature of the game, so that was a major consideration for us from the start.

They are calling Nintendo Switch "home console" and "handheld." That means It is a hybrid device.
Nintendo Switch's TV Mode allows you to play a game on TV and Handheld Mode allows you to play a game on go.

This thread should really be merged with the rumors thread at this point.

Junichi Masuda said:
Without a doubt, the Nintendo Switch is the future, but we’ll have to wait until it comes out on the market and study how Pokémon can benefit from it. When people have it, we’ll have to see and deeply study how it’s used in order to then think about how the next entries of Pokémon will be and how the saga will be able to benefit from this new console.
There is absolutely no doubt that the main series will move onto the Switch eventually. Even if no Switch game ends up being released this year, that won't mean that Game Freak are waiting for the 3DS' "true" successor.

Last edited:

If YOU plan on only taking it from room to room, that is your own personal choice, however, you continue to think that whatever you do personally, everyone else will do too.

Nintendo Switch is COMPLETELY portable. You can literally take it with you wherever you go. It even has an aeroplane mode so you can play it ON AN AEROPLANE. What is more portable than that? It is also not that much bigger than a 3DS XL, so anything that can carry an XL, can carry a Switch. Despite your personal feelings for the Switch, you need to do some research before you start claiming things 'aren't that portable.'

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, Nintendo definitely moved away from 1-screen for handhelds, so why bother return?
the same reason they ditched motion controls and (to some degree) stereoscopic 3D: it was a gimmick that never really took off.
1. Necrozma is no Ultra Beast.
(i mean, aside from the fact that the games heavily imply that Cosmog's line as well as Necrozma are Ultra Beasts.)

This thread should really be merged with the rumors thread at this point.

There is absolutely no doubt that the main series will move onto the Switch eventually. Even if no Switch game ends up being released this year, that won't mean that Game Freak are waiting for the 3DS' "true" successor.

This means there wouldn't be an announcement for a potential SM version for the Switch soon.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

That is so wrong that it actually made me laugh. If YOU plan on only taking it from room to room, that is your own personal choice, however, you continue to think that whatever you do personally, everyone else will do too.

Nintendo Switch is COMPLETELY portable. You can literally take it with you wherever you go. It even has an aeroplane mode so you can play it ON AN AEROPLANE. What is more portable than that? It is also not that much bigger than a 3DS XL, so anything that can carry an XL, can carry a Switch. Despite your personal feelings for the Switch, you need to do some research before you start claiming things 'aren't that portable.'
The switch in portable mode is the size of a 3ds XL? No wonder it has no power and seems so limited

The switch in portable mode is the size of a 3ds XL? No wonder it has no power and seems so limited

It is a little larger than an XL without the joy cons. Including Joycons, it is again a little larger, but still able to carry around easily in a small bag. Anyone that owns an XL knows they can't carry it in ordinary sized pockets, and even a normal original 3DS couldn't fit in my pants pockets without eventually sustaining damage to the L and R buttons. Most 3DS consoles are better off carried in a bag than a pocket, and the Nintendo Switch will be the same.

The power of the system is fine for a handheld. it is still more powerful than the 3DS line, and nobody would have expected it to be as powerful as when it is connected to the Switch shell.

As for battery life, it can last up to 6.5 hours, depending on the game, which is find for a handheld. You can also charge the Switch whenever you want with external chargers, so battery life is hardly an issue.

Back
Top Bottom