• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that Stars will do wonders for the Switch. The new console is already selling its pre-orders well, and what with the alleged variants of Joy-Cons, and the patent features, I see a great potential for Pokemon.
I think Stars will be a sort of walk-way to the Gen 4 remakes and Gen 8.

Well, here's another titbits for y'all!
Dosen't it seem similar to Stars? It is actually a line from the "Gummy Leaks" from Sun and Moon leak era. This can be found in the Rumors/Fakes/Leaks thread's first post after some scrolling.

Does it mean more creditablity for Stars? The gummy leaks predicted Toucannon, and Mimikkyu's stat distribution.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of flaws from the Gummy Leaks, such as being 145 new Pokemon (There are 82 i think) and Pyukumuku's stats. If you look at the leaks again, pretty much all of it were proven false. Therefore it's not too trustworhty.

Also, please keep this for speculations, as there are already multiple threads for Stars out there

Last edited:
This is Speculation. I didn't say that they were facts. By the way, what do you mean by 'anything else'?
Oh you commented before I edited it. I didn't mean anything else, but I meant speculation on what new stuff would be added to the game if Stars is released. There are already like 2-3 threads on Stars, so it gets repetitive after a while.

So what pokemon that weren't in Sun or Moon would you expect to appear in Stars and under what context?

For me I have a few ideas

• Minchino: Hauo'li city. Particularity near the Shopping center. I think that the Mansion might or mall might have reasons for importing them.
  • Deerling: Depending on which season they want to use as the Default. (Summer and Winter are the most likley IMO)
    • Spring: Melemele Meadow
    • Summer: Lush Jungle
    • Autumn: I'd say Poni Wilds or Poni Jungle
    • Winter: Mount Lanikila
  • Oddish: Route 4 and 5, as well as Malie Garden
  • Flabébé: Anywhere where Oricorio is found (as in, the meadows and the Royal Arena plaza), probably with new flower variants
  • Mawile: Vast Poni Canyon and 10 Carot Hill (hey Sableye's in those areas, why not?)

Stars won't be a big help for the Switch. Third versions typically have low sales and there are other, more innovative and exciting games coming out. Also, pro-Stars peeps, SM is not that laggy. I hardly got any lag when I played. The lag in SM is usually restricted to battles where there are more than two Pokemon.

Stars won't be a big help for the Switch. Third versions typically have low sales and there are other, more innovative and exciting games coming out. Also, pro-Stars peeps, SM is not that laggy. I hardly got any lag when I played. The lag in SM is usually restricted to battles where there are more than two Pokemon.

It is very laggy. You do realise that 'lag restricted to battles with more than two Pokémon' is not okay to have, when the entire format for the official competition is BASED around double battles, right? Not to mention one of the requirements for the passport stamps is to complete each format of the battle tree. Two out of three of those consists of double battles.

You continue to say the same exact thing every time you comment here. Everyone has moved beyond this. If you have nothing to contribute to this thread, then why continue to come back here? I suggest you find a different thread.

It is very laggy. You do realise that 'lag restricted to battles with more than two Pokémon' is not okay to have, when the entire format for the official competition is BASED around double battles, right? Not to mention one of the requirements for the passport stamps is to complete each format of the battle tree. Two out of three of those consists of double battles.

You continue to say the same exact thing every time you comment here. Everyone has moved beyond this. If you have nothing to contribute to this thread, then why continue to come back here? I suggest you find a different thread.
I hardly get any lag on my end. I don't know why you insist that the game is a laggy mess. It isn't.

I hardly get any lag on my end. I don't know why you insist that the game is a laggy mess. It isn't.

You already admitted there is lag during double battles and that is precisely what I said. As I have already said, SM lags during important aspects of the game. They official tournament format is double battles, and therefore the entire tournament is going to be filled with lag. That is not nothing. Also, for those that aren't competitive battlers, also have to deal with the fact that two out of three battle formats at the battle tree uses double battles. That is also not nothing. There is also the fact that the game has 'blurry text' on multiple occasions.

Now, for the last time, this conversation has moved well beyond this. If you have nothing new to contribute and feel the need to repeat the same argument time and time again, I'll ask you just once more to find a new thread. It is already a fact that SM lags and it lags in important aspects of the game (whether you agree with that or not changes nothing. It's still fact), so your arguments are completely redundant, and as this argument has been offered too many times to count, adds nothing to the conversation.

To call SM a "laggy mess" is a tremendous exaggeration, the game runs fine for the most part. There's a couple of sections that are a bit slow, but it's not a game breaking issue in the slightest.

@Morningstar I highly doubt SM will have a dex expansion. There'd be little point since SM already has a large, varied regional dex and there's already a ton of old Pokemon to the point where people are complaining, unless they're adding new regional variants or entirely new Pokemon, any Pokemon they add to the game will probably be post game.

@Morningstar I highly doubt SM will have a dex expansion. There'd be little point since SM already has a large, varied regional dex and there's already a ton of old Pokemon to the point where people are complaining, unless they're adding new regional variants or entirely new Pokemon, any Pokemon they add to the game will probably be post game.

People aren't complaining about just 'too many old Pokémon', they're mostly complaining because there's too many Kanto Pokémon specifically. I doubt anyone would complain if more Sinnoh and Unova mons were added, or would replace some of the Kanto ones.

And no matter how varied the dex seems to be, it sure doesn't feel like it with Pikipek/Trumbeak, Rattata/Raticate, and Yungoos/Gumshoos being on almost every bloody route, and Diglett/Dugtrio and Zubat/Golbat being in every cave, and Tentacool, Finneon, and Wingull/Pelipper being on every surfing route. We could definitely use some more variation imo.

People aren't complaining about just 'too many old Pokémon', they're mostly complaining because there's too many Kanto Pokémon specifically. I doubt anyone would complain if more Sinnoh and Unova mons were added, or would replace some of the Kanto ones.

And no matter how varied the dex seems to be, it sure doesn't feel like it with Pikipek/Trumbeak, Rattata/Raticate, and Yungoos/Gumshoos being on almost every bloody route, and Diglett/Dugtrio and Zubat/Golbat being in every cave, and Tentacool, Finneon, and Wingull/Pelipper being on every surfing route. We could definitely use some more variation imo.

Plus the various extra versions tended to have dex expansions anyway, and Game Freak tends to not want the players to have to rely on getting older games (and more recently Bank) to complete the national pokedex. Also Kalos has 450 pokemon in its pokedex and a good amount of extra pokemon (Compare, the 300 in Alola and the 84 pokemon from Island Scan), This on top os Soki's comments bout the pokemon encounter arates adn that pokemon like Bounsweet, Mimikyu, Corsula Mareanie and Jangmo-o are found in only one place each (except Corsula and Mareanie which has two) and that all but 3 aquatic pokemon can only be found by fishing and Alola seems less diverse than it is.

Oh no, it's not just too many Kanto Pokemon, but there's been people complaining about too few new Pokemon as well. The only thing that can really help with that is introducing new Pokemon mid gen, so unless they're doing that they're not really addressing the complaints that well and therefore a dex expansion is fairly pointless.

That's a distribution issues and it's an issue that many other games suffer from as well. Regional birds and rodents almost always seem to occupy a zillion routes in the game and caves and Surfing routes tend to have the same Pokemon over and over again. This is nothing new, and other regions have it much worse.

Plus the various extra versions tended to have dex expansions anyway, and Game Freak tends to not want the players to have to rely on getting older games (and more recently Bank) to complete the national pokedex.

The last two extra versions to have dex expansions had major deficiencies in their regional dexes that Alola does not though, Sinnoh was lacking variety in several types and Unova didn't have any old Pokemon at all. Alola doesn't have a deficiency as much as an imbalance, the only major issue with the dex that can be addressed by adding more Pokemon is having more new Pokemon.

Also, the Pokemon don't need to be in the regional dex to help players complete the National Dex, they just need to be obtainable. There's always been some kind of post game Pokemon in that arrangement anyway.

Also Kalos has 450 pokemon in its pokedex and a good amount of extra pokemon (Compare, the 300 in Alola and the 84 pokemon from Island Scan), This on top os Soki's comments bout the pokemon encounter arates adn that pokemon like Bounsweet, Mimikyu, Corsula Mareanie and Jangmo-o are found in only one place each (except Corsula and Mareanie which has two) and that all but 3 aquatic pokemon can only be found by fishing and Alola seems less diverse than it is.

Again, the solution here is better distribution so these Pokemon appear more, that doesn't really warrant a dex expansion and even if they would, the new Pokemon would just become rarer.

Plus, there were several complaints in XY of the Kalos Dex being too big, and Alola is pretty big itself (its tied for the second largest regional dex alongside BW2 Unova), so that might do more harm than good.

the only major issue with the dex that can be addressed by adding more Pokemon is having more new Pokemon
While I tend to agree that only a minority of fans really care about the older regions not being as well represented as Kanto, I disagree that the only thing they could do is add new species. Regional variants are a thing now and they're about as close as you can get to pseudo-new Pokemon.

While Game Freak could use species that are already in Alola for the redesign treatment, the lore behind that would be quite forced (what made those species change in Stars but not in SM?). So it would make a lot of sense to expand the Alola Pokedex for the sake of more regional variants.

That's a distribution issues and it's an issue that many other games suffer from as well. Regional birds and rodents almost always seem to occupy a zillion routes in the game and caves and Surfing routes tend to have the same Pokemon over and over again. This is nothing new, and other regions have it much worse.

Rattata, Yungoos and their evos can be found in the following areas:
Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, Hau'oli City, Kala'e Bay, Verdant Cavern, Akala Outskirts, Ancient Poni Path, Malie City, Poni Gauntlet, Poni Grove, Poni Plains, Poni Wilds, Tapu Village
(22 areas)

Pikipek and Trumbeak can be found in the following areas:
Routes 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 11, Lush Jungle, Poni Grove, Poni Plains
(9 areas)

Now let's look at XY:
Bunnelby: in 4 areas
Fletchling: in 3 areas

and ORAS:
Poochyena: 3 areas
Zigzagoon + Linoone: 13 areas
Taillow: 5 areas

and BW:
Patrat + Watchog: 9 areas
Lillipup + Herdier: 6 areas
Pidove + Tranquill: 8 areas

and DP:
Bidoof + Bibarel: 18 areas
Starly + Staravia: 15 areas

I'm just gonna stop there, but so far the only worse one is Starly and Staravia with 15 areas in DP, while Pikipek and Trumbeak are 'only' in 9. However, not a single game is beating that ridiculous 22 areas in which Rattata/Yungoos and evos appear, only Bidoof+Bibarel come close with 18 areas.

Now with Tentacool it's correct that the other games have it everywhere too, which has been a complaint forever. Which they still refused to fix with SM, so I would like to see it fixed now please. With 133 Water-type Pokémon it can't be that hard to give us some diversity.

We still don't know what this reported Pokémon Stars could be. A sequel? A third version? A port? We still don't know.

Also, I think Game Freak knows people aren't going to buy a Switch for a third version of a game they just played. It's most likely that most fans will save their money for Gen VIII.

A SM port/version for the Switch would be a good way of practice for Game Freak, because fans don't like bad games. This is a completely new device, and players wouldn't want a Gen VIII that doesn't work well.

Delaying SM till the Switch gets released would have been a big risk. If SM turned out to be a bad game, and many people see XY as a bad one, wouldn't that have led people to question GF's abilities to make good games?

As for ditching a platform mid-generation, a SM version for the Switch doesn't necessarily mean that. Can GF ignore all the players that are on a 3DS? Maybe the other Gen VII games (like the potential Sinnoh remakes) would be available on both systems, because they would sell more than if they will be only on the Switch.

By the time Gen VIII comes, the Switch would have also probably got a price cut. Not everyone is interested in playing in their TV.

Rattata, Yungoos and their evos can be found in the following areas:
Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, Hau'oli City, Kala'e Bay, Verdant Cavern, Akala Outskirts, Ancient Poni Path, Malie City, Poni Gauntlet, Poni Grove, Poni Plains, Poni Wilds, Tapu Village
(22 areas)

Pikipek and Trumbeak can be found in the following areas:
Routes 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 11, Lush Jungle, Poni Grove, Poni Plains
(9 areas)

Now let's look at XY:
Bunnelby: in 4 areas
Fletchling: in 3 areas

and ORAS:
Poochyena: 3 areas
Zigzagoon + Linoone: 13 areas
Taillow: 5 areas

and BW:
Patrat + Watchog: 9 areas
Lillipup + Herdier: 6 areas
Pidove + Tranquill: 8 areas

and DP:
Bidoof + Bibarel: 18 areas
Starly + Staravia: 15 areas

I'm just gonna stop there, but so far the only worse one is Starly and Staravia with 15 areas in DP, while Pikipek and Trumbeak are 'only' in 9. However, not a single game is beating that ridiculous 22 areas in which Rattata/Yungoos and evos appear, only Bidoof+Bibarel come close with 18 areas.

Now with Tentacool it's correct that the other games have it everywhere too, which has been a complaint forever. Which they still refused to fix with SM, so I would like to see it fixed now please. With 133 Water-type Pokémon it can't be that hard to give us some diversity.

Pidgey family hits worse than the Starly family in GSC (17, if I counted right). So much so that when they did the remakes, they toned down the number of appearances.

In Gold, Rattata alone appears 22 times. Raticate appears a lot as well, and on three routes Rattata doesn't. Bringing the total for Rattata/Raticate to 25.

It's part of why I tended to include fighting types in my teams in Gens 1 and 2.

We still don't know what this reported Pokémon Stars could be. A sequel? A third version? A port? We still don't know.

The Eurogamer report (which is the central source of all of this) is pretty clear about it being a third version in the vein of Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum.

> "Earlier generations of Pokémon games have featured a third title launched later with expanded features - Pokémon Yellow followed Game Boy originals Red and Blue to start this trend, which continued through until Pokémon Platinum followed Diamond and Pearl on DS. With Pokémon Stars, this idea will be revived - but for the first time we'll see the mainline Pokémon series spanning separate Nintendo consoles within the same generation of games."

Also, I think Game Freak knows people aren't going to buy a Switch for a third version of a game they just played. It's most likely that most fans will save their money for Gen VIII.

A SM port/version for the Switch would be a good way of practice for Game Freak, because fans don't like bad games. This is a completely new device, and players wouldn't want a Gen VIII that doesn't work well.

Delaying SM till the Switch gets released would have been a big risk. If SM turned out to be a bad game, and many people see XY as a bad one, wouldn't that have led people to question GF's abilities to make good games?

As for ditching a platform mid-generation, a SM version for the Switch doesn't necessarily mean that. Can GF ignore all the players that are on a 3DS? Maybe the other Gen VII games (like the potential Sinnoh remakes) would be available on both systems, because they would sell more than if they will be only on the Switch.

By the time Gen VIII comes, the Switch would have also probably got a price cut. Not everyone is interested in playing in their TV.

Gen VIII will most likely be on Nintendo Switch anyway (especially if Stars will be), so if people would rather save up money for Gen VIII, they will still need to save up the money for the Switch either way. Anyone that can save up for both Nintendo Switch and gen VIII won't have much of an issue saving up a little more for Stars as well.

As for your statement in regards to future games being on both 3DS and Switch, although I wouldn't mind that as I'd just get the Switch versions, there isn't much of a point in releasing any other games for 3DS at this point, as it seems the 3DS doesn't have a lot left to offer the Pokémon series. Also, if they did that, they will have to create either two different versions of the games to suit each console, or they'd have to create the game for Switch and then create a vastly downgraded port for the 3DS.

Gen VIII will most likely be on Nintendo Switch anyway (especially if Stars will be), so if people would rather save up money for Gen VIII, they will still need to save up the money for the Switch either way. Anyone that can save up for both Nintendo Switch and gen VIII won't have much of an issue saving up a little more for Stars as well.

As for your statement in regards to future games being on both 3DS and Switch, although I wouldn't mind that as I'd just get the Switch versions, there isn't much of a point in releasing any other games for 3DS at this point, as it seems the 3DS doesn't have a lot left to offer the Pokémon series. Also, if they did that, they will have to create either two different versions of the games to suit each console, or they'd have to create the game for Switch and then create a vastly downgraded port for the 3DS.

A new generation gives more motivation that a third version. Why would I buy a Switch just for the third version of a game I just played?

Back
Top Bottom