• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just had an epiphany. Okay, it's more like wishful thinking, but what if Stars isn't Necrozma's game? What if it's Marshadow's instead?

Sure, we think it's going to be a Mythical Pokémon, but its placement in the National Dex could just be Game Freak screwing with us this time.

I mean, look at it's Z-Move! Doesn't it look like it's making Stars in the shape of a Z? That's got the mean something.

Last edited:
From the interactions I've had with him, Arceus just isn't the best at explaining themselves. The signature says he has Asperger's Syndrome, so he's not the best at communicating. However, as someone with a past of having communication myself, I think I can explain what Arceus is trying to get at, or at least explain what it seems like he's trying to say. In fact, I also have some logic behind this that he hasn't really explained.

We know that Crystal was put on a different console, with it being a Game Boy Color exclusive instead of being a Game Boy Game with Game Boy Color features if played on that console. It is true that Crystal was in the same generation as Gold and Silver. I should also mention that Crystal could still freely battle and trade with Gold and Silver as well as use the Time Capsule to trade with RBY. I'm not denying that there is a precedent for this to happen.

With the Nintendo Switch however, this is where things start to get tricky. Since the Nintendo Switch is not backwards compatible with the 3DS games, this would mean that Sun and Moon cannot directly communicate with Pokémon Stars. So far, all games in the same generation have been able to communicate with one another directly (even if restricted like GSC with RBY and ORAS with XY), including the Game Boy Color exclusive Crystal with Gold and Silver. It's one thing to restrict the National Dex to Pokémon Bank, but for it to be a necessity just to trade between two installments of the same generation due to incompatibility (and it most likely want include batting with each other) makes it even more unfair for those who don't want the third version to be on the Switch. Furthermore, this incompatibility would segregate the player base between those who play Stars and those who play SM due to an even bigger same-generation compatibility issue than XY and ORAS have. Dividing he player base like that is the exact opposite of what the Pokémon main series has always been about!

So yeah, it is about the fact that Gen 7 should stay on the same console, but I hope I've enlightened you that the arguments against this are a bit more than just "I don't have/want a Switch yet, so Stars needs to stay on the 3DS." There could also a major same-generation compatibility issue.

I agree. I've talked about sales, compatibility, and other arguments against Stars in the past. You just said why Gen 7 should stay on the 3DS right there.

I theorize we could see the return of old modes like Triple and Rotation Battles in Stars, a ton more fan service characters in the Battle Tree, and the much better use of the Ultra Dimension.

In other words, what if Sun and Moon are merely the prototypes for the game they wanted to make, and that they were originally tailored for the Switch specifically, but because of the delays of the console's release, they decided to try to convert it over to the 3DS instead. In other words, it's possible that any pretense we might have had about how great these games are would prove to be nothing compared to Pokémon Stars if that is the case. I think it's safe to say, given the initial trailer featured an HD model of Pikipek, that Stars was the base game for Sun and Moon instead of either Sun or Moon.

Now, who could the cover legendary be? Well, it could be Cosmog. Another possibility is that Necrozma may also potentially evolve from Cosmog and Cosmoen. Note that on their Pokedex entry pages, Solgaleo and Lunala do not share the same Pokedex page as Cosmog or Cosmoen? Well, I think it's possible that similar to the Sun and Moon dimensions producing either legendary, what if the Ultra Space could result in Cosmog and/or Cosmoen eventually evolving into Necrozma? It's also worth noting too that you never really get to evolve your Cosmog or Cosmoen in Ultra Space. It could also possibly be what the teased secret shared by Rockruff and the Starters--perhaps Ultra Forms they could obtain when they evolve in Ultra Space?

I personally do think we could see Ultra Space playing a much bigger role in Pokémon Stars if it indeed is true. And that may very well prove to be the true secret connection between Necrozma and Solgaleo and Lunala. The only question then remains--is it possible that Necrozma might also have an Ultra Form as well? I think if anything, he'll definitely have a form change, but it will function differently from the Starters or Lycanroc having Ultra Forms. I think we might end up getting an Ultra Cube or something like that that may force Necrozma to change shape. If Necrozma's true form is indeed a Godzilla-esque counterpart to Zygarde, then this true form could possibly gain the typing of Dragon/Psychic. Thus, continuing the trend of third legendaries in a trio always being part Dragon-type.

I disliked how super training got removed. For me it was the best way to max out a stat of my pokemon. I want it to return but unlikely. They kept the extra experience boost you get for having two hearts for affection on your pokemon but it didn't really help the experience points you get in the game. Should have given us a trainer with several Blisseys that can help train our pokemon and be battleable at any time.

Also can we move on? I am now discussing what could be in the games and what isn't. I am not going to complain anymore.
I agree about the super training. It was the perfect way to raise your Pokémon's EVs. Coupled with the new easy IV checker, and the quick stat check right in the menu, this game would have made competitive team building perfect and simple. As it is, I'm waiting almost a whole day for my Pokémon to jump around on some driftwood to max out a stat, and the wait for berries to grow is such a real struggle. Definitely one of Game Freak'a "two steps back" moments here.

Maybe the potential Stars could remedy this, but I rather doubt that, unfortunately. My biggest hope is that it will introduce something similar that will make EV training a cinch again.

Has there been any mention or hints on Stars coming for both the 3DS and the Switch? Like, two same games on different devices? Like Smash Bros. for the 3DS and Wii U. They were the same, differing in stages and stuff. It wouldn't be all that different from having version exclusives?

Last edited:
Has there been any mention or hints on Stars coming for both the 3DS and the Switch? Like, two same games on different devices? Like Smash Bros. They were the same, differing in stages and stuff. It wouldn't be all that different from having version exclusives?
Hm... now that you mention it they could very well do something like Red and Blue Rescue team. They were like any other version exclusive game, except one was for gameboy advance and the other was for ds. I could see that happening here. That could open up some... interesting potential.

I think that Stars will be Switch-exclusive. I just don't see why they would release a 3DS version if their main focus is the Switch.

They would want to appeal 3DS users, too. Since the rumour alone is causing an outrage among 3DS owners in these forums, the impact may be larger when they announce the games.

Has anyone wonder about that Ash-Pikachu found within the code of SM? Complete with its own Z-move exclusive? There has also been rumors of GameFreak trademarking the name Satoshi...

If this Star was to be released next year, it'll be the 20th anniversary of the anime series. Wonder if there is a connection of sorts there?

They would want to appeal 3DS users, too. Since the rumour alone is causing an outrage among 3DS owners in these forums, the impact may be larger when they announce the games.

It's only causing an outrage for a few select 3DS owners. Most people on the forums here are 3DS/2DS owners, and most of us either believe the rumour is real, hope it's real, or aren't too affected by it either way.

I personally don't see why Gamefreak will want to put these games on the 3DS and the Switch. I believe it will be exclusive to one console. Pokémon will have to move on to a newer console sooner or later, and if it is happening right now, then there isn't really a reason to also have it on the 3DS.

I can see Stars being real solely for opening a new target audience for a later game. With a smaller group of people owning an expensive new Switch, Pokemons debut on the Switch may be risky because of the small group buyers. But by releasing a port/third version they can reduce production expenses, so that it is okay if the games are sold in relatively lower amounts. It will basically function as an entry level game. The game that will come out following the proposed Pokemon Stars, will benefit from it because of the newly created (Switch owning) audience.

Has anyone wonder about that Ash-Pikachu found within the code of SM? Complete with its own Z-move exclusive?
It will almost certainly be a special distribution just like Ash Greninja, with zero context in the game canon. Distributing it in April (or maybe in July for the movie) would make more sense than waiting for Stars.

Has there been any mention or hints on Stars coming for both the 3DS and the Switch?
The Eurogamer source flat out said that this won't happen.

Last edited:
If we ever get to see Pokémon on the Switch, I hope they update all the models majorly. With much more textures like fur or scales.

In this regard I loved how Pokken portrayed its characters. These Pokémon look really great and worthy for a powerful system like the Switch is supposed to be.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Stars being sold on the 3DS and the Switch would be a terrible idea from a marketing perspective, at least at first. Let's take Smash Bros fro example.

Smash Bros 3DS sold well, but everyone who had ever played Smash Bros before played it on console. That is what they were used to. And when Smash Wii U came out people still went out and bought that game even though they already owned the 3DS copy. This is because people identify Smash Bros as a console game.

If Stars were released on the 3DS before or at the same time as the Switch, the install base of the 3DS would result in drastically more sales on the older console. There would be very little reason to develop for the Switch in that case. If Stars were to ever be released on the 3DS it would have to be at least a few months after the Switch version was already out, but there's another reason why that's not going to happen.

Because the Switch is the more powerful device it is capable of doing more with the games. Better graphics, more mechanics, more overall content are available. Developing for the 3DS alongside it would mean that content would have to be altered or cut. This would result in two version of Stars with differing mechanics, modes, content, etc. just like with Smash.

And of course we have to account for Nintendo wanting to push their brand new console and make software sales for it.

So, with all of that together, while I have no doubts that the Switch will be able to communicate with the 3DS, I do not believe we will see Stars released for both consoles. If it's coming to the Switch it's only going to be for the Switch.

If we ever get to see Pokémon on the Switch, I hope they update all the models majorly. With much more textures like fur or scales.

In this regard I loved how Pokken portrayed its characters. These Pokémon look really great and worthy for a powerful system like the Switch is supposed to be.

I haven't watched a lot actual gameplay of Pokken, but looking at the artworks alone I hope the main series games don't go this route. Pokemon being portrayed in a more realistic manner but still keeping their original look (as in, they're not depicted like this for example) walk dangerously close to the uncanny valley imo, or even surpassing it. A lot of the Pokemon in Pokken look plastic and rubbery to me, or it looks like they're covered in gel or made of some shimmery, inorganic material. The ones covered in fur.. I can't really pinpoint on why, but it looks odd. Way too flat, I think.

I think that since the world of Pokemon isn't "realistic", even if some are stated to have fur or scales or made of smoke, we don't look at them in a "realistic" way, instead see them in their artwork/anime/cartoon-whatever selves. Even if they're shown in 3D we still expect them to retain their artwork/anime look, and this is why I think games like Stadium/Colosseum/XD/Battle Revolution (and XY/ORAS/SM of course) work because they do exactly that. When a game like Pokken gives them realistic, Earthly textures it looks odd, at least to me, because I no longer feel like they belong in their own world anymore. They look artificial, or just plain scary.

I think a lot of it could be fixed if they didn't make everything have a shiny, plastic or latex feel and worked more on the textures so the Pokemon didn't look half terrifying, but ah well.

The realistic Pokken look for Pokemon really wouldn't work for mainline games which goes for the cell shaded look mostly.

I have a feeling we will have another B2W2 situation with Stars and will get SunMoon 2 (Lunar/Solar Eclipse Edition)
Also we never found out what secret the starters shared was huh. I don't think it's exclusive Z moves because that would be lame as heck.
We might find out how Necrozma is linked to Cosmog and Lunala/Solgaleo

You know what I do find odd, no Lunatone and Solrock in the Alolan dex. The two Pokemon that would make sense to put in these games aren't there.
What I hoped for ever since we saw Minior was that they would get an Alolan forms with the Shields Down ability. They both are the Meteorite Pokemon after all and I would be perfect really.
In Gen 7 the also got a buff, receiving 20 points in their HP stat
Maybe we'll see them exclusively in Stars with Alolan forms

Maybe Necrozma has two forms and is mascot of two games like Kyurem? I would love to see those 3DS games come to light. Solrock and Lunatone could appear if more pokemon had shown up in Alola after a couple years has past. Also, why is Solgaleo and Lunala separate from the pre-evolutions in the pokedex in SM? Shouldn't they all be together?

Necrozma having two forms wouldn't work with Stars, if it's real. I'd rather see it get one form or keep as it is. No need to give forms to every legendary. :p

I think Necrozma could get 2 forms and become mascot of two games. Entirely possible and two games make more money. Of course they could just stick Necrozma in post game of another region/gen.

Necrozma having two forms wouldn't work with Stars, if it's real. I'd rather see it get one form or keep as it is. No need to give forms to every legendary. :p
Well, likely it's current form and then something else.

Also, it's only the third legendary that always wind up getting multiple forms. And I have theorized that there might be a brand new series of Ultra Forms in Pokémon Stars. The Starters, Lycanroc, and possibly even Necrozma in some capacity would all have them, and could only achieve such forms if they were to evolve in Ultra Space (again, note that you cannot evolve Cosmoen in Ultra Space at all in Sun and Moon, while Rockruff and the Starters would most likely have already fully evolved by that point anyways).

Back
Top Bottom