• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon sun and moon will air on Disney XD instead of CN

I doubt that we'll get an opening theme. While I wouldn't mind getting that sooner rather than later, they haven't shown the opening themes for other sneak peeks. I know that we didn't get the opening themes for the first seasons of AG or DP until they premiered properly. Plus, from what I understand, none of the other countries that aired the sneak peek had an opening theme. I also don't think that Disney XD would be the one making the theme song. That would still be TPCI, so it wouldn't matter when Disney XD airs the first two episodes.

I also don't think it's taking them that long to air the sneak peek. Considering that they're using this marathon to also get people aware/excited about Pokemon moving to a new channel, they probably did need to wait awhile longer before airing it. Airing the two episodes just a couple of days after they premiered like what happened with XY wouldn't have worked because it's on a new channel. It might also help that I remember we had to wait weeks before getting sneak peeks before and even longer in some cases for the proper premieres, like with AG since 4Kids was well behind the Japanese version at that point.

Now that I think about it, last weekend would have been perfect for Disney XD to air the movie and SM sneak peek since Cartoon Network didn't air a new XY episode last Saturday.

I know it was because of the Teen Titans Go marathon but I can't help but think the Disney XD move announcement had something to do with it as well

Last edited:
While airing the sneak peek when they had that marathon would have been a nice way to make up for taking a week break, I don't think it would have been the best idea to have a sneak peek of a new series, the premiere of the newest movie and get people aware/excited for the new home for Pokemon premieres on Thanksgiving weekend. It might have been easier for people to miss if they were out with their families.

Disney XD does have quite a few repeats of the first two SM episodes, so that is a really promising sign. I've just been used to one repeat on Cartoon Network before they got rid of those, so seeing more repeats was really nice.

Just bookmarked Pokémon Sun and Moon on "Watch Disney XD" (good thing my uncle gave me access to his Dish since I don't have a DVR anymore, and doing so saved me $5 on my Sling), will watch the first two episodes tonight along with the Volcanion movie.

I just realized that some people are going to assume that the art style change was caused by Disney, even though that's obviously not true.

This could only spell good things... if you have premium cable. Who the hell has premium cable nowadays? This isn't going to effect me much because I could watch the sub. Geez Cartoon Network treated pokemon like trash. It wasn't always like that it used to get a decent amount of reruns. It's weird that as a pokemon fan I'm looking back at goddamn Pikachusident's day and airing all the tag battles episodes in one night as proper respect comparatively. If you don't want to shell out the cash for action shows dubbing seems like an optimal solution but fuck action shows am right cartoon network? I don't know as a fan of the series who I want future generations to like what I liked as a kid but now only kids with freaking premium cable are going to see it. It makes me sad.

Last edited:
This could only spell good things... if you have premium cable. Who the hell has premium cable nowadays? This isn't going to effect me much because I could watch the sub. Geez Cartoon Network treated pokemon like trash. It wasn't always like that it used to get a decent amount of reruns. It's weird that as a pokemon fan I'm looking back at goddamn Pikachusident's day and airing all the tag battles episodes as proper respect comparatively. If you don't want to shell out the cash for action shows dubbing seems like an optimal solution but fuck action shows am right cartoon network? I don't know as a fan of the series who I want future generations to like what I liked as a kid but now only kids with freaking premium cable are going to see it. It makes me sad.
I have Sling.

Part of me thinks the decision is because the idiot in charge of CN hates anime, along with shows that focus more on action than comedy, hence Teen Titans Go.

I mean the thing about action shows is they seem a lot more expensive to produce more detailed animation is expected and continuity is more of a necessity. I understand where they are coming from fiscally. I don't understand the anime hate though. Dubbing takes a lot less money than making a show from scratch. I guess they don't get the merchandising skilla if it isn't their ip.

I just realized that some people are going to assume that the art style change was caused by Disney, even though that's obviously not true.

Fortunately, I don't think that's going to happen. I think most people aren't going to assume Disney had that much influence on the show, especially when it was announced well before the dub's move was announced and Disney has no involvement with the show beyond airing it in various countries.

I mean the thing about action shows is they seem a lot more expensive to produce more detailed animation is expected and continuity is more of a necessity. I understand where they are coming from fiscally. I don't understand the anime hate though. Dubbing takes a lot less money than making a show from scratch. I guess they don't get the merchandising skilla if it isn't their ip.

That and most popular anime nowadays wouldn't fit on Cartoon Network without some serious edits. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, most of the popular shows were aimed more towards kids and wouldn't require much editing compared to something like Attack on Titan, which would not air on Cartoon Network proper for pretty obvious reasons. Dubbing is also pretty expensive in itself, although I don't think Cartoon Network spends any money on the dubbing process for most any anime that they have aired. As for the issue with action shows, I think it's a combination of how they tend to be more expensive to produce like you mentioned and how quite a few of them depend on toy sales. The latter was an issue for the Thundercats reboot and Young Justice if I recall correctly.

@Hidden Mew unless they are rebuilding a product from the ground up for censorship and/or cultural reasons, I can't imangine localization being more expensive than the act of making a product itself.

"Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, most of the popular shows were aimed more towards kids and wouldn't require much editing compared to something like Attack on Titan, which would not air on Cartoon Network proper for pretty obvious reasons." I mean the older anime fandom is larger than it was back then but it still strikes me as self fulfilling prophecy and being impossible to separate our selves from the online western anime fandom.

Maybe I'm stuck in the past but seeing as children don't watch subs as much dubbing gives children shows more exposure.

@Hidden Mew unless they are rebuilding a product from the ground up for censorship and/or cultural reasons, I can't imangine localization being more expensive than the act of making a product itself.

"Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, most of the popular shows were aimed more towards kids and wouldn't require much editing compared to something like Attack on Titan, which would not air on Cartoon Network proper for pretty obvious reasons." I mean the older anime fandom is larger than it was back then but it still strikes me as self fulfilling prophecy and being impossible to separate our selves from the online western anime fandom.

Maybe I'm stuck in the past but seeing as children don't watch subs as much dubbing gives children shows more exposure.

I didn't say that dubbing was more expensive than making a show from scratch. Just that dubbing itself is pretty expensive and that Cartoon Network isn't really involved with that. The anime landscape is a lot different now than it was in the past, but dubbing is still the best way to give shows exposure. It's one reason why Funimation tries to dub some of the most popular series of each season as soon as possible because there is an audience that is only interested in watching stuff in English.

I did watched a little part of SM on DXD and I would love to watch some more since I read this thread like a book. Honestly I'm glad that Pokemon change from CN now that I learned how badly they treated the show. Sadly, like one poster said here, "do they want butts and memes rather than serious stories?"
IMO, people would do whatever it take to join in to an existed meme and repeat it so other people would say "Ha they know the meme". But memes does die quickly after seeing or hearing it too many times and people get sick of it. That is what CN is doing, try to fit in. Teen Titans is a perfect example, the show was popular back in 2005 before memes weren't a thing. Since it was a popular show back then plus memes starting to conquer the internet, they decided to put the two together and make Teen Titans GO. The silliness and jokes weren't mine or anyone complain, it just doesn't have a story or a reason to the show.

Sorry for going off-topic and the rant.

I did watched a little part of SM on DXD and I would love to watch some more since I read this thread like a book. Honestly I'm glad that Pokemon change from CN now that I learned how badly they treated the show. Sadly, like one poster said here, "do they want butts and memes rather than serious stories?"
IMO, people would do whatever it take to join in to an existed meme and repeat it so other people would say "Ha they know the meme". But memes does die quickly after seeing or hearing it too many times and people get sick of it. That is what CN is doing, try to fit in. Teen Titans is a perfect example, the show was popular back in 2005 before memes weren't a thing. Since it was a popular show back then plus memes starting to conquer the internet, they decided to put the two together and make Teen Titans GO. The silliness and jokes weren't mine or anyone complain, it just doesn't have a story or a reason to the show.

Sorry for going off-topic and the rant.
The Powerpuff Girls is using memes too.

Oh deary me, Nick & More on Twitter has just announced that "Disney XD apparently no longer cares about a shows "premiere time". They've removed all mentions from promos over the last couple weeks. They now say "premieres (date), anywhere you can watch Disney XD" - because the time on TV no longer matters. Its anywhere/anytime.It airs on TV multiple times that day (+ many days after), but is release On Demand, iTunes, Amazon that "premiere day". That's the focus."

So that means Sun & Moon is fucked then and we'll gonna do the CN song and dance routine all over again.

Welp, goodnight Pokémon dub, it was nice knowing ya.

Like it or not, time slots barely mean anything anymore. They're essentially formalities at this point.
Thanks to DVRs, streaming media, and On Demand, there's little point being concerned or even thinking about what time something comes on.
I only check on schedules to program my DVR, and that's it. And if that doesn't work out, I have On Demand services, can just seek out the episode or scenes on YouTube, or can wait until it's on Netflix, Amazon Video, or Hulu if I have to :p

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom