• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon XD Gale Of Darkness

gorurk

Reaction score
how much of a disappointment was this game. I mean really it was pathetic. I had high hopes for this game only for it to be dashed away

i hated it was mostly because you had no little to no choice of what pokemon you could capture.

Yeah at least there were a few more possibilities with the wild pokemon thing. I personally loved the game it was well made. It can't compare to DP or even RS but it was good.

There are always people who complain about the console Pokémon games. Personally, I thought it was good, both as its own game, and to expand the GBA games.

Last edited:
Colosseum was harder than XD, because the last two bosses had pokemon whose levels spiked by 10 or more. The flow of enemy pokemon levels was much more balanced in XD.

Not to mention there was a wider range of types in XD so you could more easily have a balanced team.

I'll be honest - Gale Of Darkness was a pathetic game. Lack of Pokemon variety, next to impossible to catch WILD Pokemon, etc. It just was too restrictive for my liking. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the game (I got up the the volcano bit with the lava, forgot what it was called as I stopped in April/May of last year). Mind you, all this is my opinion.

I enjoyed this game a little more than Colosseum. I had a strong team:
Jolteon
Sableye
Breloom
Aggron
Ninetails
Dewgong
And I caught all of the shadow pokemon but Zapdos and dragonite.

I enjoyed this game a little more than Colosseum. I had a strong team:
Jolteon
Sableye
Breloom
Aggron
Ninetails
Dewgong
And I caught all of the shadow pokemon but Zapdos and dragonite.

I had an Espeon, only because it could learn not only water-type moves but also ice-type moves (to protect from plant-type Pokemon) and Shadow Ball!

The battle music is not as good as in Colloseum. I seldom play these games, because the battles are so slow and the graphics are horrible.

Personally, I really liked Collosseum and XD. I had fun playing them, although I never did finish XD. I like the fact that you can transfer the Pokemon you've purified to RS, it gives you the opportunity to catch Pokemon you couldn't normally get in those games.

I do prefer the handheld games, though.

I really liked XD. I beat it once. And I'm about to beat it again. As soon as I can stop typing on this laptop and go play it. But, I can't compare it to the handheld games, either. It was also a lot easier than Colloseum. I hated Colloseum.

My cousin has the game, and it does seem very restrictive in the choice of Pokemon you could have. I mainly want to play it for the Tri-Attack Togepi.

Decided on Vaporeon BTW.

How could anyone have high hopes for this game after playing Colosseum? Both games were terrible. XD fixed a lot of problems in Colosseum but they forgot to fix the "not enjoyable" aspect of the first game.

I personally loved both of these games, in no small part due to the main character having something better to do with his time than the "Gotta catch'em all and beat gym leaders+Elite Four" formula that serves as the primary goal of all the mainline games. In all the main games, the much more important goal of putting a stop to the villains' world domination/destruction schemes seems almost to become secondary to the fame and fortune of being Pokemon League Champion.

Sure, it'd probably be nicer to have a larger game world to explore, some random encounters now and then, the ability to explore fields and forests instead of driving there all the time, etc. And I for one would have liked a cel-shaded graphical style that made it feel more anime-ish, and a longer storyline (at least as long as, say, Chrono Cross) accompanied by less need to go to Mount Battle (or an equivalent thereof) to train just to be able to beat the next boss. And I STILL want a game that lets me attack an enemy mecha instead of making all boss battles just normal Pokemon battles with stronger enemy Pokemon. But all that aside, it was a very nice change of pace.

I also liked its use of the double battle system... while it can be argued that using it all the time is overkill, the mainline games, especially Ruby/Sapphire, didn't seem to provide enough opportunity to develop strategies for it.

I found the "Mt. Battle" problem was really only in Colosseum because of the abrupt jacking-up of the boss Pokémon levels compared to those of the random trainers/Cipher Peons. XD remedied that problem by setting the levels on a much more even plane and capping the main story's levels at 50.

YES to an anime-style game. While I personally liked XD's graphics, the anime style would make for an excellent graphical appearance.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom