• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Pokémon XY&Z Anime Mafia ~ Endgame (Until the day we meet again...) ~ TOWN AND JESTER WIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take some of the blame here on balance, since Elementar did ask me to look over the setup before posting the signups.

A couple of small changes here and there would have helped immensely.
1. X-Shot Watcher instead of infinite watcher.
2. Cop and Lovers as separate roles. Having a Lover Cop, in hindsight, was a bad idea. Granted it did mean an extra death and a way to kill the cop without targeting the cop, but still...
3. The Encryptor role was too weak. Give Xerosic a better role. Possibly something similar to Sketch Artist from 100 Mafia.
4. Beloved always canceling the day phase no matter when killed.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

This was such a crazy game. I dunno how Olive did it but he got so far...I'm genuinely moved by his efforts and don't think I'll ever forget this game...

This was a swingy game, town always had a backup for something going wrong. Olive's role was borderline useless, Zexy's info was lucky at best with the Voyeur-on-Watcher combo on the LROD, and the double lynch, as you all saw, was super duper swingy. Scum had little to rely on to combat a Seraph/jack/BPV/Sitter for protection and a Watcher+Cop for info on top of it all. Heck, if the sitter was on the seraph, and seraph on the sitter, that's literally immortality for two players!. Town was stronk and totally owes Olive for the scum performance of the centu...Millennium

I'll take some of the blame here on balance, since Elementar did ask me to look over the setup before posting the signups.

A couple of small changes here and there would have helped immensely.
1. X-Shot Watcher instead of infinite watcher.
2. Cop and Lovers as separate roles. Having a Lover Cop, in hindsight, was a bad idea. Granted it did mean an extra death and a way to kill the cop without targeting the cop, but still...
3. The Encryptor role was too weak. Give Xerosic a better role. Possibly something similar to Sketch Artist from 100 Mafia.
4. Beloved always canceling the day phase no matter when killed.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
Agreed on the first 3, the 4th is a strange case, though; your suggested variant is a pro-scum only swing-reducer. This setup was not about reducing swing for the most part, it's about getting way too much of it.

Also...i havent watched the XY ANIME...is it always that beautiful? I...i wanna watch it now..
Well it is based in the Kalos region. Kalos means beauty in Ancient Greek (and this is not Zexy's Greek Trivia Time, it's the actual origin of the region's name).
All of Gen 6 including Lysandre's goals revolved on beauty... although the actual Team Flare Arc wasn't exactly beautiful. The Serena haircut scene Piko posted is more beautiful than that, even though it has some sadness in it.

Heck, if the sitter was on the seraph, and seraph on the sitter, that's literally immortality for two players!
Oh right I forgot that; yeah if that were to happen I would expect a host hotfix because it's just impossible for scum to win there.
FTR I don't get why Sawyer was Seraph Knight at all
I hope it has a dubbed episode. I couldn't understand a lick outside of Watashi like one time

They really upped their animation game from the DP season tho...that's for true
That scene is old enough it's definitely been dubbed by now.

Well DP was 2 generations ago, there were 3 years in the middle anyway.

Mason Cop would be just broken; Lover Cop depended on the situation, I guess, and Human being one of them made it a stronger combo. Although I think they could've afforded not claiming cop at the point they did, Max's slip wasn't that role-indicative.

I paired HD up with Max because it was Max's first game, and HD was sort of vanilla in a way. They didn't have a Power Role, and it was ultimately up to Max to choose the targets. It was nice to see a power player and a newbie work together and help each other out.

I paired HD up with Max because it was Max's first game, and HD was sort of vanilla in a way. They didn't have a Power Role, and it was ultimately up to Max to choose the targets. It was nice to see a power player and a newbie work together and help each other out.
... does that mean you did not competely RNG the roles? Handing roles arbitrarily is bad...

From the rules:
Please try to remain as neutral as possible and avoid giving players certain roles or assigning all roles arbitrarily.
It's not a hard-set rule but please try to keep that up as much as possible because non-neutral hosts can cause unsportsmanlike situations...

... does that mean you did not competely RNG the roles? Handing roles arbitrarily is bad...

Not completely, but almost. There were too many power players on the scum team in the original RNG, so I had to switch one or two. That was it though. It was otherwise RNG'd.

Not completely, but almost. There were too many power players on the scum team in the original RNG, so I had to switch one or two. That was it though. It was otherwise RNG'd.
OK doesn't sound too bad, it might have been better for the game indeed to do so. But please be careful with that stuff, it should be avoided most of the time.

It is still good to see that you try your best for the game and are willing to admit things like this, at least; you are already a good host :)

That was a total nail-bitter in the end, I was so nervous watching from afar waiting to see the result! Nicely done WolfOwl and Pikochu, and congrats to town as a whole!! Congratulations are also in order for scum though, especially @Olive for having the absolute wildest, most elaborate fakeclaim I have ever seen and probably will ever see. How you came up with that and all the abstract images is beyond me, but that was an amazing play! I did suspect you for a little while even after the Zexy lynch since it seemed very convenient to have known the "four in one" thing, but eventually I just accepted that you were probably Olympia haha and I was just paranoid.

Can't believe I protected scum with my seraph knight since N1... Part of the reason I was like "I really hope Elieson is town" in-thread was because I knew I'd feel like an idiot if not lmao. I really did townread Elieson all the way up until that lynch though, when things just didn't line up with the protect roles.

Did you enjoy the game?
This was far and away one of the most exciting games I've played in, so that is 100% yes!
What did you think of the flavor text?
You never disappoint with the flavor text, Elementar. It was very well-written with a nice continuity to it! It read like you were having fun writing it, and that in turn made it fun to read. Makes me wonder if I missed out not watching XY&Z!
What did you think of the balance and the mechanics?
It probably was pretty town-sided, particularly with Olive's role not being super useful when that's all he had + encryptor only really affecting two players in a non-OC game. If he had something a bit stronger, it might've been closer to even. Or maybe weaken one of the town informative roles. As far as the protective abilities went though, those seemed pretty balanced with a good risk/reward ratio.
What did you think of the hosting?
Very well done! Everything seemed organized and well-run, and the updates were pretty much on-time and all delays were announced, so no complaints here!
If you would like to change a single thing in this game, what would it be?
Mafia could've used more power in some way.
Would you play another role madness game like this in the future?
YES. I am all about the role madness.
What was your favourite thing about this game?
Man, that's a tough one. It was a ton of fun for the whole ride. Honestly, it was a great bunch of players who were for the most part very active and entertaining. And the hosting was great too. My personal favorite thing was that day phase where we lynched two scum though lol.

Thanks for hosting, Elementar! And congrats on hosting one of the biggest games TWR has had, especially in recent memory!!

holy balls

Did you enjoy the game?
Definitely a contender for one of the best games I've ever played.
Fantastic.
A little townsided, there were too many protective roles on the town side IMO. But I'm not very good with balance
Best-hosted game I've played in so far.
My (second) role. That was really hell to work with. I mean, cool role, but really? Did it HAVE to be called Scientist? :p (also can we get a graveyard chat next time? i was gonna be all over this game if there were one)
Yes, but next time please actually have a cult/converter of some sort. :p
From a personal standpoint...the way I played. Even if I was completely wrong in the end, I think this was one of the best town games I've played yet. I was active and contributive, didn't fall behind, and was genuinely interested in a town victory (which we somehow managed to pull out of our ass in the end). Fun fact: from the time I subbed in until the end of the second day afterwards, my second life had something like 1/4 of the posts in the thread. Between this and Greek Mafia, I'm happy with the improvements to my town playstyle. Maybe MU did some good for me after all.

Props to @Olive , I mean, holy shit. I really would like to play with you again soon!

*applauds*

This was so intense. I had no idea who was mafia till the very end. I have to say @Olive was amazing, with those detailed mystic posts and riddles and pictures. I was completely stumped even after death. Best fabrication ever.

Overall, I enjoyed the game very much. The flavor texts were fun and the roles were well-designed to fit the characters. Aside from a few minor balance issues (like many mentioned, Lightning Rod and Watcher on the same team), it was a great game set :D

Thanks for letting me play! Good game everyone!

From a personal standpoint...the way I played. Even if I was completely wrong in the end, I think this was one of the best town games I've played yet. I was active and contributive, didn't fall behind, and was genuinely interested in a town victory (which we somehow managed to pull out of our ass in the end). Fun fact: from the time I subbed in until the end of the second day afterwards, my second life had something like 1/4 of the posts in the thread. Between this and Greek Mafia, I'm happy with the improvements to my town playstyle. Maybe MU did some good for me after all.

You did play quite well from my point-of-view, and I was actually the reason you got lynched (sorry xD)! But I've seen a lot of improvement with you recently.

If anyone wants some feedback on how I think they played (which won't be great because I'm not great at playing), just tell me :)

I can't believe it's... over... omg this game was such a wild ride. After I was NK'd I was watching the game at the edge of my seat lol. It was a really exciting game, and like FA mentioned, holy cow it went really long! I hadn't even noticed that until today!

Congratulations to town (special mention to our two who made it to the end, Wolf and Pikochu) and that was such a great play by mafia. Olive oh man... I was really fooled the entire time and didn't start to doubt you until pretty much this phase because near the end I was like "ok well it must be Cap because scientist is just a scummy sounding ability and I don't know who else it can be" I'm so sorry Cap but then obviously we saw how that flipped and I'm left now having the realization that Olive was playing us-- playing us good-- the whole game. That was great and deserves serious props. As everyone else is saying, I definitely will not be forgetting this game it was such a fun experience. Thank you for hosting Elementar and thank you ME too, our mod on duty!

Did you enjoy the game?
Yes! This was a very fun game, I looked forward to seeing what would happen next each phase and also after I was gone. It was just very engaging.
Really great-- you put a lot of effort into it, and I thought it was really well written and very good.
I'm so bad with this I can't speak for it.:p
A great job! Double thumbs up.(y)
I'll piggyback off what TheCapsFan said and also go with maybe changing the Scientist role's name.
You could count me in, definitely.
There are a bunch of things, but I really loved how active and into it everyone was. The game was active, and so that kept discussion going which was really fun and kept it exciting. Everyone in the game is a great player, and it was just a really nice experience overall.

Elementar said:
If anyone wants some feedback on how I think they played (which won't be great because I'm not great at playing), just tell me:)
I would please!

Talking about balance, my role was a bit OP being it wasn't a normal vig and taking aim meant 100% chance on mafia. Granted it got counterbalanced by being given to me since scum loves to kill me early on when I'm town.

@HumanDawn I nailed two scum d1, and night 1 kill. I'm awesome. I am now flattering myself. :p

@Elementar I want feedback

@Elementar I want feedback on how poorly I played this game :p

I'll admit, I got more lazy when I was typing up my analysis yesterday and was rushing. However, my central thesis did stand. Glad that I decided to run my errands to clear my mind about this game because there's the realization where I should consider "speculation v. confirmation" that led to my vote.

Also to @MatrixChap and @Max1996, I probably could have been a little more diplomatic when I was interrogating the both of you. I apologize if I came off as really harsh, that was not my intention. Hopefully you two did enjoy your first mafia games and I look forward in seeing you two more regularly in games. Also to @Lone_Gararumon and @Olive.

Also to @MatrixChap and @Max1996, I probably could have been a little more diplomatic when I was interrogating the both of you. I apologize if I came off as really harsh, that was not my intention. Hopefully you two did enjoy your first mafia games and I look forward in seeing you two more regularly in games.
Aww, it's alright. It's all part of the mafia, eh? Oh, and I'll consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom