• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

poll:who is ash's best traveling partner?

who is ash's best traveling partner?

• Total voters
May is obviously the easy and correct answer, but I am surprised that Dawn isn't second. Has to be nostalgia that gets Misty votes, she never did anything. Dawn actually had a full team, had goals other than following Ash around, and had better character development. I'm still super pissed that she beat May, but she is def the second best traveling companion.

Or it could be that people who voted for Misty simply likes premise behind her dreams, character development, storyline, flaws , personality and dynamic with other characters, as well pokemon better.

Personally i voted for Misty and it wasn't because of nostalgia.
I like how she had very strong and independent character, personality, unique dreams of striving to become best while using one type(aka becoming water pokemon master and top water expert which very few people managed to do in world like Wallace, E4 Siebold and E4 Lorelei) always standing up for the weak and trying to help people out.

She was fiery, spunky and strong willed but she also had sweet and feminine side having girly aspect to her being passionate about several hobbies,which added to character substance while having sad backstory having to grow up in shadow of selfish sisters and prove herself to everyone making her easy to relate character. Adding to pokemon certain appeal and flamboyant dynamic which got lost ever since she left cast.

Underused at times and not fleshed out enough having unfinished things in story? Sure, but still entertaining cahracter with cool pokemon, admiring dreams, relatable backstory and very rich pertsonality in my opinion.

I agree that Misty had a cool personality, I just feel like she didn't do very much to pursue her dreams during her time traveling with Ash. I felt like she was there to have a girl in the show and she would mention that she wanted to be a water pokemon master, but other than catching some water types I don't think she did a lot. I would have liked to see her do more, which is probably why I prefer AG and DP sagas overall to the others because the show allowed May and Dawn to be main characters sometimes instead of it being all about Ash.

I agree that Misty had a cool personality, I just feel like she didn't do very much to pursue her dreams during her time traveling with Ash. I felt like she was there to have a girl in the show and she would mention that she wanted to be a water pokemon master, but other than catching some water types I don't think she did a lot. I would have liked to see her do more, which is probably why I prefer AG and DP sagas overall to the others because the show allowed May and Dawn to be main characters sometimes instead of it being all about Ash.

Well way it goes,
While Misty had many qualities and memorable moments as character for me. I definitely agree that she needed more focus on herself and story to have virtues come more often to expression and get feeling of her growth happening consistently, rather than being separated in arcs between which big gaps existed.

Though to be fair in here, we are talking about very early period of Pokemon when Misty was main character. She was first girl to break the ice so to speak. Back than writers werent sure if anime will even continue past Kanto(originally it was planned to end pokemon there).

Writing staff had doubts and conflicts in what direction they should be taking storyline and characters along with formula in Original series being less about expansion on main character dreams and battling(even Ash dreams werent much explored and pushed forward at that time).

With anime being more about journey, development of friendship between three close companions. Introspection of their flaws, selfdoubts and concerns developoing mostly in personality/emotional sense(this applied especially to Misty who with time began to appreciate Ash and Brock in her life becoming more compassionate and caring as person talking to them about her bad past , personal ambitions and fears maturing) . Last but not the least message was about humor and excitement of exploring new world, all kind of pokemon and dangers existing out there as original cast introduced to us world of pokemon.

Than again:
With all its flaws after finishing rewatching OS some time ago what i find positive about Misty role was ability to remain enjoyable and active even when center of attention wasn't set toward her. Such as:Often helping Ash to prevent to make fool from himself in front of Gary,giving him advices coming up with strategies before battling gym leaders, guiding him in his adventures making sure he doesn't fall for TR traps, often being actively involved in various crisis such as St. Anne arc, Sabrina, giant TR Arbok mecha running out of control, helping to battle TR organization and various prof. like dr. Namba.

Or simply playing spontaneous, fun subrole in episodes which hardly dealt with them such as Misty trying to catch Snorlax before Ash did, being involved in various mysteries like unmasking thieves such as black Arachnid, coming up with plan how to break in Butch and Cassidy pokemon center searching for evidence to bail her friends out of prison etc

Along with mentoring and helping Ash to grow as trainer and person becoming better person thanks to this guidance.
This was Misty role for 60 to 65% of OS episodes, while at times getting growth and arcs dedicated to herself.
To some who only measure someone value by how much character centric episodes he got this would leave impression how they did "nothing" for most part, but looking back i find there was much more to their activity and role than eye meets surface having strong presence remaining highly active often when she wasn't center of spotlight.

Making Misty unique and enjoyable characters imo knowing how to spice up atmosphere and embellish show with her various quirks, passionate love toward certain things and curiosity in resolving many issues on own initiative.

But yea i too wish more was done, because Misty as character and her goals had so many unexplored things waiting to be unfold out. Feeling like only peak of iceberg regarding her dreams, insecvurities, past, dreams of living up to E4 Lorelei(her idol) possibly becoming E4 female of water in future and some would say romantic feelings developed for Ash were touched.
Making me miss this character and hoping she will comeback one day if anything to tie up loose ends and shine in action being relevant once more not staying forgotten forever.
I wish that for all replaced characters. :)

Last edited:
Brock, of course. And Cilan comes at a close second. Then Misty.

I am going with Dawn. She was pretty cool and was the last decent female companion in the show (the others being Misty and May). Best male companion is Brock since he older and a lot more experience. Gives Ash some advice from time to time which is nice. All the other male companions were good too.

Brock. He was the perfect companion(And only good male one to date), shouldn't have been written off.
He knew how to cook, heal Pokemon, and was such a caring person.

Serena! not just since she has 3 Pokemon I love, really like her character development

Back
Top Bottom