• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pseudo Version Exclusives

Reaction score
We all know about version exclusive Pokemon, don't we? In case you don't, it's basically a Pokemon who's only available in one version (or two if there are three versions) and never available in the others. For example, Oddish and Bellsprout are version exclusives in Pokemon Red and Blue respectively, and Rufflet and Vullaby are version exclusives in Pokemon Black and White respectively. One exception (of a pair) to this case is Petilil and Cottonee, because you can trade for them in-game, so they are not considered true version exclusives.

Yes, there are certain Pokemon who are not considered version exclusives because it is possible to collect them in the version they are not readily available in, like the Petilil and Cottonee example. Another type of a pseudo version exclusive is a Pokemon who is extremely rare in one version but much more common in another, meaning that it is easier to trade for one in the version where it is common than to search it in the version where it's rare. One example of a pair are Throh and Sawk. In Pokemon Black, Sawk is more available but Throh is rarely found in shaking grass, and it's the reverse in Pokemon White.

The third version can also be the one with the pseudo version exclusive. Take Seedot as an example: in Emerald, you literally have a 1% chance of meeting up with one unless it's a swarm, making it almost like a version exclusive because you rarely met one. Trading from Ruby is easier, but if the player exerts enough effort, they can eventually find a Seedot.

Because there is rarely a guide to show which Pokemon are very rare in one version and more common in another (I never found a guide myself), it can be hard to find out who's a pseudo version exclusive.

In my opinion, pseudo version exclusive Pokemon provides an interesting decision for a player to make, as they are able to decide if it's worth getting a rare Pokemon without interaction, and they even have the option to take the easier way out and just pick someone else to trade.

So, what do you think of the idea of "pseudo version exclusives"? Is it a good idea that should be encouraged? Is it as bad as a purely version exclusive Pokemon?

Thanks for reading.

It seems to work. People can complain all they want about how hard it is to get that damn Sawk on White, but it's worth it.

I like the idea because of the fact that it makes it so you can't stroll happily among the Pokemon game and catch every single Pokemon and say, "I caught them all!" It makes it much more realistic so this doesn't happen.

That idea has actually been around since Red and Green. Caterpie used to be very common in one version but rare in the other, same with Weedle. Grimer and Koffing are another pair.

I like it but for phenomena in the water I'd rather not see ooo the other color basculin

That idea has actually been around since Red and Green. Caterpie used to be very common in one version but rare in the other, same with Weedle. Grimer and Koffing are another pair.

I understand this, because I knew there are Pokemon who are common in one version and rare in another from the early days, but it's just that the example I found is in the more recent games, and it didn't come to my knowledge on any who are like this early on. Those are great examples as well.

Thanks for reading.

The Caterpie and Weedle families were also pseudo-exclusive in GSC, with one only being available for capture in the Bug-catching contest.

Plusle and Minun are another example, with Plusle being more common in Sapphire, and vice versa for Minun.

I guess these Pokemon are a good way to establish distinct differences between versions, while still allowing people who do not have the option of trading the chance to obtain them if they are willing to put in the effort. If it were up to me, all current exclusives would be like this, and version differences would be defined more by differing stories, characters and aesthetics than available Pokemon.

Don't forget the Nidorans, where males were more common in Red and females were more common in Blue.

I don`t mind pseudo exclusives, even though finding a Shuppet in Ruby was hell. I imagine it was the same for Sapphire players and Duskull.

The Banette and Duskull lines immediately come to mind, because their symmetry made it so odd when only Dusclops received an evolution. It was worse than what had happened with Scyther and Pinsir, because at least Scizor was technically comparable to Scyther.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom