• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Question about AG episode "Pros and Con Artists"

sc190191

more afraid of you
Reaction score
I just watched the episode "Pros and Con Artists" tonight (as I like to rewatch about an episode a day and am happily on my favorite series, AG) and there is something in this episode that is very confusing (I remember it being very confusing the other times I have seen this episode too) and was wondering if anyone knew more about it.

The battle between Ash and Drew is broken up in the middle by a flashback where Ash is talking to Drew about (before? after?) the battle. And Drew says "let's try that one more time" and Ash says "Taillow has a clear advantage over Roselia so the same thing's going to happen". So the question is, did they battle twice in the same day?

I tried to do some research about this and I couldn't find anything conclusive. I was thinking maybe it was a dialogue change from the original, but I don't know where to find subs and Dogasu's website didn't mention it. I looked for as many reviews as I could and most of them don't mention the flashback. The best I could find was Pokemon Wikia said that "Ash recalls how Drew specifically asked to battle Taillow..." This doesn't really make sense based on the dialogue above, as Drew didn't mention Taillow specifically.

Anyway, the previous times Ash had met Drew, the two of them had not battled against each other, so it wasn't a throwback to something earlier in the series. I went though the pictures from the episodes Drew had previously appeared in, and that flashback wasn't a scene before, so it almost certainly was the same day as the battle (occurred in this episode), but it wasn't in the same place as they were talking when Drew originally challenged Ash (it was in the Pokemon center, but it wasn't the same area/same scene as Brock and Max weren't present). It seems strange they would decide to have a battle, then go sit down across from each other in a different room and talk about who was going to battle, and then go battle.

Anyway, based on the above information, it seems to me as if they battle twice, and Taillow won the first time. That still seems really strange though. If anyone else has any idea what actually happened or wants to speculate, please let me know. Also if you have any insight as to what the dialogue was in the original during this flashback, please let me know too.

Strange this part stuck out to me so much in an episode in which May had some wonderfully cute moments, but I just can't get past it, and not understanding that scene is really bothering me.

The battle between Ash and Drew is broken up in the middle by a flashback where Ash is talking to Drew about (before? after?) the battle. And Drew says "let's try that one more time" and Ash says "Taillow has a clear advantage over Roselia so the same thing's going to happen". So the question is, did they battle twice in the same day?
I watched the dub and original versions and it's probably a mistranslation. In the Japanese raw Shu is saying something like "Kimi wa Subame dash ta mae" instead of "Let's try that one more time". I don't know japanese, but I know that Subame is Taillow's japanese name. So he's actually challenging Satoshi into using a pokemon with type advantage. I think dialogue is something like that:
Shu: I want you to use that bird if yours.
Satoshi: Are you sure? There is a big type advantage between them.
Shu: It's more fun to challenge someone who is more challenging.
Satoshi: Yeah, I understand that sentiment.
That scene is definitely a flashback to a time before that battle. It's the same building, as you can see from floor. That scene happened offscreen, while there is a commercial break, in the same episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom