• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rare Pairings

Having a name doesn't mean a pairing isn't obscure. There are plenty on there that- even when I googled them- I got nothing.

Also- I now support Todd x Duplica. That sounds adorable.

Anyway, I ship Hilda with everyone, so that naturally leads to rare pairings like:
Silver (game) x Hilda
Lucas x Hilda
Ethan x Hilda
Red (game) x Hilda
Blue (game) x Hilda

Also- Lt. Surge x Hilbert/Hilda's mom, because I saw a theory on TV Tropes about Lt. Surge being his/her father and I can't get it out of my head (especially when Hilda is the protagonist).

Hilda x Bianca?

I don't think that's actually rare, since I've seen a good deal of fanstuff of it. Even plugging Shiroshipping into Google gives me quite a few results.

As for more rare pairings I support, I've been playing Guardian Signs and utterly adore Nema/Summer (Arrebatoshipping). Seriously, I have a feeling that Nema's dialogue was written with the thought that most players would choose to play as a guy (which I never do, if I have a choice).

I've also been dying to see TwoMommiesshipping, which is Misty and Miranda (that woman from the port in the first movie) because of the original Japanese teaser trailer. I've seen a few jokes that the kid is their adopted daughter, but nobody seems to actually remember who Miranda even is, much less seriously ship these two.

I probably have more, but I can't think of any right now.

^Agreed. That's very cute- helps that Nema was one of my favorite characters. I don't think I've seen art or fics of anyone x Nema, sadly. The only Guardian Signs ships I've seen are Ben x Summer and Red Eyes x Summer.

Speaking of which- Ben x Blue Eyes and Summer x Blue Eyes. Seriously, the entire mission where she's with you is priceless.

Juniper fennel is a rather cute idea. :3

My favorite ship for 13 years has been Eldershipping.

EDIT: Just remembered another one: Wally x May. After replaying Emerald, I just have to say that Wally is so freaking adorable!

At last! I'm not alone! :yahoo:

Wouldn't quite call these rare, but they're relatively uncommon:

CrystalShipping (EusinexCrystal): I've actually met many people who ship it, but despite the fact there's a decent amount of fan art, there are practically no fanfics for it. Aside my own, I've encountered only two or three others-two of which included it but didn't focus on it as the primary shipping.

CheckmateShipping (Cherenxfemale BW player character): Like with CrystalShipping, there's a decent amount of fan art for it, and a decent number of people ship it but I have yet to see a CheckmateShipping fanfic, only part of one drabble.

HoennChampionShipping (Steven StonexMay): It's not rare per se, but I've only ever seen one fanfiction for it and only a little fan art.

Rare

ComfortShipping/AccidentalShipping (GoldxWhitney): Whether games or manga, I adore this pairing. Gold and Whitney look so cute together! Manga-wise their personalities are perfect for eachother and they have a really entertaining chemistry.

DiamondShipping: I see it as more of a in-the-past-ship, but nonetheless it brings up a lot of intriguing possibilities. I've always liked the idea of Ash's father being Giovanni (and I heard that way back the makers of the anime considered making that canon), and that would definitely explain why Delia is so vague about the identity of Ash's father...and I think she mentioned in one episode that Ash's father is from Viridian City. That would also make Ash the alternate-continuity half-brother of Silver (someone needs to write a fanfic about that).

NewRivalShipping (WallyxMay): Why does nobody ship this? I have never met anyone else who ships this pairing until today, yet I adore it and it seems like it should be a major pairing.

SteelShipping (AttilaxHun): To be honest, I like all the Team Rocket male/female duo shippings (also like RocketShipping and NeoRocketShipping, and manga-wise I like RocketMasakudoShipping, the rather wordy name for KeanexChermaine). Due to their erm, steely, personalities Attila and Hun would have a really intriguing relationship; I wonder if they'd be cold and harsh towards eachother all the time or if when no one else is around they act more affectionate. They also remind me a little bit of AntagonistShipping (Pokemon Adventures Sabrina and Lt. Surge), another pairing I find intriguing.

Last edited:
Sylvester X Dino I named it uber extra shipping cause they are both so god damn cool looking

I ship a few rare pairings. Here they are...
Ethan x his grandmother
Lyra x Red
Barry x Bianca (half-rare)
Lunick x Solana
Misty x Max
Crystal x Eusine (kinda rare)
Oh, yeah...and definitely FrontierShipping, or Crystal x Emerald.
The Ethan pairing, though...is just...weird...

Last edited:
Game
ReformShipping (Red X Giovanni)
AdvancedChampionShipping (Brendan X Steven Stone)
FleetingShipping (Gold X Lucas)
BlackSquaredShipping (Hilbert X Nate)
DrySpellShipping (Norman X Maxie)
Anime
ElderShipping (Delia X Prof. Oak)
OrangeShipping (Misty X Tracey)
KrazyShipping (Pikachu X Meowth)

For rare pairs?
I tend to pick stuff like DiamondxPearl(AbsurdistShipping) / BarryxLucas(ClingyShipping) or EthanxLucas(FleetingShipping) / GoldxDiamond(ShamelessShipping).
I also like GoldxPlatinum(DarkStoneShipping) and GiovannixGold / GiovannixEthan (MeddlingShipping). Yeah I'm weird.

Last edited:
FolkloreShipping (Morty x Lyra)
ExpressShipping (Hilda x Ingo)
WarmingUpShipping (Hilda x Richboy Martin, Winter Ferris Wheel buddy) *
WhiteSquareShipping (Hilda x Rosa) *
MoonRingShipping (Colress x Rosa)
Hilda x Colress (I don't think this even HAS a pairing name...)

...some of these are... more "odd" than they are "rare", but eh. I like them, anyway~

*Thanks, Luna Tiger, for these shipping names!=)

Last edited:
Are there any other tattooshippers (Marshal/Shauntal) about?

I'm also rather fond of Ignitionshipping (Flint/Volkner) but that's one of the more common ships.

Here are some of mine:

Hilbert x Bianca - It's not that rate (there's fanart for it), but it's not as popular as Hilbert x Hilda or Cheren x Bianca. Plus, I'm a supporter of FerrisWheelShipping, and I think Hilbert needs some love. Cheren could just go with an OC.
Morty x Jasmine - They have potential to be a good couple. I'm not a fan of slash fics with Morty, and I don't think he and Whitney would make a good couple. But he and Jasmine would go well. I actually depict them as getting married!
Aaron x Cynthia - I portray it as more of a one-sided love, with Aaron being infatuated with Cynthia - in fact, also quite reverent of her.
Byron x Fantina - I don't know how well it would work, though.
Lance x Karen - I think they might be a good couple. When I was younger, I also liked Lance x Lorelei.
Archer x Ariana - Archer as a second love for Ariana (after Giovanni). A planned fanfic of mine depicts them as getting married after the events of HGSS. (The same story has Ariana and Giovanni in a non-marital relationship.)
Chili x Roxie - Chili is hotheaded, and Roxie is outspoken. They would make a good couple IMO.
Sidney x Glacia - The Hoenn Elites get ignored a lot.
Burgh x Tucker - A good same-sex pairing, amirite?
Volkner x Jasmine - One-sided, of course. (I have Volkner liking Jasmine, but Jasmine prefers Morty.)
Falkner x Lyra - I think they would be cute together. I used to hate Falkner, but now I'm liking him more.
Eusine x Whitney - Sure, why not? I portray Whitney as being a total bimbo, and I picture Eusine as the type of guy who pursues shallow girls (in contrast to Morty who would rather pick a girl with a brain).

Last edited:
Morty x Jasmine - They have potential to be a good couple. I'm not a fan of slash fics with Morty, and I don't think he and Whitney would make a good couple. But he and Jasmine would go well. I actually depict them as getting married!

Oooh, I do like this one! Especially since they both seem to be the old-fashioned sort.

Jasmine/Steven Stone and Morty/Kimono Girl are also favorites of mine.

Rare pairings?

Ash and Cynthia
Ash and Clair
Ash and Liza
Ash and Maylene
Ash and Domino
Ash and Duplica

I'm a huge fan of Ash and Pikachu, so Ash x f. Pikachu is another, but basically any female and Ash I like. Ash and guys just isn't my cup of tea.

By the way, what do you all think about Ash and Johanna as a couple?
What do you think of Ash and Queen Ilene as a pairing (may need a good name to boot)?

Last edited:
I recently thought of shipping Will and Clair. One fanfic I'm writing has Will as Sabrina's brother, so I can't ship him with her. But he and Clair are both strong trainers, so why not?

As mentioned at the top of the page, I am also a fan of Wally x May. I love to read fanfics about them (no matter how rare they are). Something just touches me about this shipping. It's so beautiful. Wally is a nice character. ^_^

Other shippings I like that I consider to be rare are:

May x Steven
Flannery x Steven (HOT :3!!)
Wallace x Winona
Silver x Green
Red x Yellow
Misty x Brock
Lt. Surge x Sabrina (I really don't know why this one...)
Steven x Lucy
Ein x Venus (Colosseum <3)

Yay! I love rare pairings.

Here are some of mine:

Hilbert x Bianca - It's not that rate (there's fanart for it), but it's not as popular as Hilbert x Hilda or Cheren x Bianca. Plus, I'm a supporter of FerrisWheelShipping, and I think Hilbert needs some love. Cheren could just go with an OC.
Aaron x Cynthia - I portray it as more of a one-sided love, with Aaron being infatuated with Cynthia - in fact, also quite reverent of her.
Byron x Fantina - I don't know how well it would work, though.
Lance x Karen - I think they might be a good couple. When I was younger, I also liked Lance x Lorelei.
Archer x Ariana - Archer as a second love for Ariana (after Giovanni). A planned fanfic of mine depicts them as getting married after the events of HGSS. (The same story has Ariana and Giovanni in a non-marital relationship.)
Chili x Roxie - Chili is hotheaded, and Roxie is outspoken. They would make a good couple IMO.
Sidney x Glacia - The Hoenn Elites get ignored a lot.
Burgh x Tucker - A good same-sex pairing, amirite?
Volkner x Jasmine - One-sided, of course. (I have Volkner liking Jasmine, but Jasmine prefers Morty.)
Falkner x Lyra - I think they would be cute together. I used to hate Falkner, but now I'm liking him more.
Eusine x Whitney - Sure, why not? I portray Whitney as being a total bimbo, and I picture Eusine as the type of guy who pursues shallow girls (in contrast to Morty who would rather pick a girl with a brain).

Yay, another RebelShipper! (Hilbert and Bianca) :)

I came up with the name "ExuberantShipping" for Eusine and Whitney (I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of them together), but I don't know if it's been added to the Incomplete List of Shippers yet...I don't think so.

I also like the idea of Morty and Jasmine; I feel like they would get along really well for some reason.

As mentioned at the top of the page, I am also a fan of Wally x May. I love to read fanfics about them (no matter how rare they are). Something just touches me about this shipping. It's so beautiful. Wally is a nice character. ^_^

Other shippings I like that I consider to be rare are:

May x Steven
Flannery x Steven (HOT :3!!)
Wallace x Winona
Silver x Green
Red x Yellow
Misty x Brock
Lt. Surge x Sabrina (I really don't know why this one...)

Yay! I love rare pairings.

Finally I found someone else who ships BOTH NewRivalShipping (Wally and May) and HoennChampionShipping (Steven and May)! I think I like NewRivalShipping just a tiiiiiiny bit better, but I love them both. :cool:

Actually I like all of those pairings, though I definitely wouldn't consider ChosenShipping (Silver and Green, assuming you were referring to female Green) and SpecialShipping (Red and Yellow) to be rare at all.

Last edited:
some of the really rare ones that i support are shampooshipping (n x cynthia)
bianca (b/w 2) x steven stone
jupiter x hibert
tinyfishhugefishredfishbluefishshipping (magikarp x kyogre)
:)

Back
Top Bottom