• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rewriting battles

Reviving this thread because I rewatched some of the Sinnoh battles recently and there's one in particular that bothered me: at the Sinnoh League, Barry lost to Paul without knocking out any of his Pokemon, which I felt that on top of being kinda mean (since Barry idolizes Paul and wanted to prove himself to him), was also a bit ridiculous as I feel at least one of Paul's Pokemon should have gone down: Ursaring. This thing managed to endure a brutal beating from a Hitmonlee, eventually defeating him despite the type disadvantage, and then it still doesn't go down even when Barry's Empoleon deflected its own Focus Blast back at it? Yeah, no, sorry, but that should have been a KO right there. I can live with how the rest of the fights played out, but Empoleon should have defeated Ursaring imo.
I hated that Ursaring. I never liked how it was so successful in battle while being basically a mindless brute who was constantly angry, just rampaged around, and won with those qualities against opponents it should've lost against, like Barry's Hitmonlee/Empoleon. Aside from Brandon's Regice, I think the only Pokémon who was ever seen beating Ursaring was Chimchar, which I'm not a fan of. The fire monkey was already special enough without this status being basically the only one capable of defeating that ridiculously OP bear (emphasis on "ridiculous").

Ash vs Drake: Instead of Tauros Ash has Primeape which he kept

Pikachu beats Ditto
Squirtle beats Onix
Ash sends out Primeape but recalls it
Gengar and Lapras draw
Primeape beats Venusaur
Electabuzz beats Bulbasaur
Charizard beats Electabuzz
Dragonite beats Charizard, Squirtle, and Primeape
Pikachu beats Dragonite
I would have liked the Electabuzz and Pikachu vs Dragonite battles to be longer. If Drake battles Ash in a full battle again I could see his whole team being revamped except for Dragonite of course and maybe Venasaur because
Ditto is too weak
We could see Onix evolve but idk
Gengar and Electivire are too prevalent

Pikachu shouldn’t have been the one to take out Metagross. It should've been Noivern.
...you know what, this inspired me to do a rewrite of the Ash vs Alain battle that redeems the Kalos dragons a bit:
  • Goodra vs Tyranitar- Goodra wins. After only managing a draw in the last fight, Goodra really should have been given a win against Alain, and I think Tyranitar is the best matchup for it. Both Goodra and Tyranitar are pseudo-legendaries with similarly bulky body structures which could make for an interesting kaiju-esque fight and both are associated with a type of weather. Heck, Goodra could easily counter Tyranitar's Sandstream with its Rain Dance, and then knocked it out with a new Water-type attack.
  • Goodra vs Weavile- Goodra is switched out because Ash decides that preserving his bulky powerhouse for later might help him in the long run.
  • Hawlucha vs Weavile- Hawlucha wins. It basically goes down like it did in canon.
  • Hawlucha vs Unfezant- Unfezant wins. Look, I didn't like that they made Hawlucha lose to a Pokemon that he has a double type advantage against, so I instead decided to make him lose against an opponent that could actually beat him without cheap RNG cheese.
  • Noivern vs Unfezant- Noivern wins. I decided to basically switch Noivern and Hawlucha's canon roles around: Noivern is outraged at seeing his big brother lose, especially since his opponent had such an overwhelming aerial advantage, and takes it upon himself to teach this upstart bird a lesson.
  • Noivern vs Metagross- Metagross wins. Noivern still doesn't have anything to really hit Metagross with and it's even stronger now, so he still loses. But he puts up a much better fight this time around.
  • Talonflame vs Metagross- Talonflame wins because obviously.
  • Talonflame vs Charizard- Charizard wins because obviously.
  • Pikachu vs Charizard- Charizard wins. Yes, I'm making Pikachu the fall guy. He got to defeat two of Sawyer's Pokemon singlehanded in the previous round, so unlike Noivern or Goodra, he can afford to take an L here. Besides, I wouldn't make Pika go down like a chump either, as Alain is forced to Mega Evolve his Charizard in order to secure the win, which is something that in the past only Legendaries and other Megas were able to achieve. Alain then withdraws Charizard to let it rest up a bit.
  • Goodra vs Bisharp- Bisharp wins. Same as canon.
  • Greninja vs Bisharp- Greninja wins. Same as canon.
  • Greninja vs Charizard. Charizard wins, but unlike in canon, he actually lands several super-effective Thunder Punches before the Blast Burn KO, so that Greninja's loss is more believable.

Alain vs Ash i would rewrite

Hawlucha vs Tyranitar - Hawlucha wins
Hawlucha has the type effectivness over Tyranitar and i want to make one battle opponent for it the same as in canon
Hawlucha vs Weavile - Weavile wins. Due to Hawlucha being heavily battered by Tyranitars well hit Stone Edges, Weavile takes the win, despite being 4x weak against it. Alain withdraws the heavily damaged Weavile for a moment
Noivern vs Unfezant - Noivern wins
Noivern vs Metagross - Ends up in a draw
(Yes, Noivern needs this and it would be funny to let it draw against both gen 3 Psuedo's)
Talonflame vs Weavile - Talonflame wins
Talonflame vs Charizard - Charizard wins
Pikachu vs Charizard - Charizard wins (But heavily damaged)
Goodra vs Charizard - Charizard is recalled
Goodra vs Bisharp - Goodra wins
(Learns Aqua Tail in favor of Bide)
Goodra vs Charizard - Before it goes down, it uses Rain Dance
Charizard vs Greninja - Charizard wins

Alain vs Ash i would rewrite

Hawlucha vs Tyranitar - Hawlucha wins
Hawlucha has the type effectivness over Tyranitar and i want to make one battle opponent for it the same as in canon
Hawlucha vs Weavile - Weavile wins. Due to Hawlucha being heavily battered by Tyranitars well hit Stone Edges, Weavile takes the win, despite being 4x weak against it. Alain withdraws the heavily damaged Weavile for a moment
Noivern vs Unfezant - Noivern wins
Noivern vs Metagross - Ends up in a draw
(Yes, Noivern needs this and it would be funny to let it draw against both gen 3 Psuedo's)
Talonflame vs Weavile - Talonflame wins
Talonflame vs Charizard - Charizard wins
Pikachu vs Charizard - Charizard wins (But heavily damaged)
Goodra vs Charizard - Charizard is recalled
Goodra vs Bisharp - Goodra wins
(Learns Aqua Tail in favor of Bide)
Goodra vs Charizard - Before it goes down, it uses Rain Dance
Charizard vs Greninja - Charizard wins
Good just have Greninja win

Good just have Greninja win

Nah, Greninja doesn't deserve to win against the superior mon (Which Alains Zard is and should have lost against Sceptile because of type weakness, so i am going with Fire being strong against Water, while Water is strong against Grass and Grass strong against fire).

Hawlucha vs Weavile- Hawlucha wins. It basically goes down like it did in canon.
The win made sense, yes. Fighting against Dark/Ice is obviously leading to that. I just fail to understand why Hawlucha took so many hits to get pumped up or whatever before defeating it, instead of, you know, doing an easy OHKO with any of its Fighting moves.

I'd rewrite Ash vs Winona.
Grovyle vs Altaria -
Grovyle learns Dragon Breath and Rock Tomb and uses them on Altaria, not a bunch of Grass-type attacks. Grovyle wins and is recalled.
Pikachu vs Pelipper - Pikachu manages to jump onto Pelipper's back and uses Thunderbolt, winning the round.
Pikachu vs Swellow - Swellow wins after a clash of Quick Attacks.
Grovyle vs Swellow - Swellow wins with Aerial Ace after dodging a Rock Tomb.
Swellow vs Swellow - Pretty much the same as it was in canon.

The win made sense, yes. Fighting against Dark/Ice is obviously leading to that. I just fail to understand why Hawlucha took so many hits to get pumped up or whatever before defeating it, instead of, you know, doing an easy OHKO with any of its Fighting moves.
I think it was just part of its personality: Hawlucha performs best against opponents that are as fast and can land many hits because of battle thrill, I guess. This is the whole reason Hawlucha did so poorly against Slaking, because Slaking is lethargic and thus failed to get Hawlucha pumped up properly.

I think it was just part of its personality: Hawlucha performs best against opponents that are as fast and can land many hits because of battle thrill, I guess. This is the whole reason Hawlucha did so poorly against Slaking, because Slaking is lethargic and thus failed to get Hawlucha pumped up properly.
I know, but I guess I just don't like that kind of logic for some reason. Personal preference, perhaps.

Since Kalos is fresh on my mind...

Ash vs Viola:
  • Froakie vs Surskit-Froakie wins
  • Froakie vs Vivillon-Vivillon wins
  • Fletchling vs Vivillon-Vivillon wins
Aside from this being a set-up to Froakie and Fletchling's dynamic(which we see in the training for the re-match), this is also to give the two of them experience on ice for the set-up of the eighth Kalos gym battle and experience with ice is something that(IIRC) Pikachu already has, but Greninja never got. Froakie beats Surskit with his frubbles, which is the first instance of many showing off how he can use his frubbles to help in battles other than using just moves. Fletchling facing off against Vivillon is both for visual spectacle and to provide some parallels between how Viola fights and how Ash fights with them both using flying types. That, and, I think it would be nice if Fletchling lost against Vivillon to redeem itself in a rematch. So, the rematch would basically be the same results, only Fletchling wins against Vivillon this time and Froakie is actually recalled back instead of actually getting KO'd.

Ash vs Korrina:

Actually, I would really only change two things about this battle-and it's more of a writing aspect rather than a battling aspect:
  1. Pikachu vs Lucario: It's given a lot more emotional buildup than what we got-and Korrina is actually introduced WAY earlier than in canon, and the summer camp arc is a little bit longer too, making the pass of time between meeting Korrina and her gym battle more believable. I think the subtle relationship the two got was interesting in regards to their trainers, but if they spent more time developing that, it would've been nice and more meaningful once Pikachu won. Pikachu didn't lose the first time Ash and Pikachu fought Lucario, and they actually met Korrina getting her 100th win against Sawyer-who is also introduced earlier than in canon, by the way. The Mega Evolution arc spans for a bit longer than in canon, and Pikachu and Lucario are shown sparring on occasion-as well as Pikachu helping the latter out when Lucario has doubts about his relationship with Korrina. So, the battle between them is more meaningful and the respect the two have for each other isn't just because of the battle they had.
  2. Korrina's pokemon: I think if we met them before the battle and Ash caught Hawlucha around the same time, we could've had interesting interactions to set-up for the gym battle. The difference in fighting styles between Hawlucha and her Mienfoo could set-up their battle, and if we see her other pokemon more often, it would once again make her battle with Ash all the more meaningful-especially pokemon wise because all the pokemon have formed strong bonds with one another. We already have the emotion between Ash and Korrina, make it have better meaning by including the pokemon too.

This isn’t technically a battle per say but I’ve been thinking about the island challenge for a bit. It’s one of the weaker parts of SM and could’ve been a lot better. It was actually surprisingly difficult to make it work; cause you can’t just have Ash do it in the same way in the games (since he’d end up with z crystals he can’t use, also less development for some classmates). So I kinda get why it played out the way it did, regardless this is what I came up with after some brainstorming:

• Normal trial: Same, all good here.
  • Fighting grand trial: Same again, even with the z crystal switch up. Ash does need electrium Z rn since he uses it a lot and he isn’t getting a fighting move for a while.
  • Water trial: Same again, since Ash doesn’t need waterium-Z anyway.
  • Fire trial: Ash should’ve actually done this one for Litten and fought a totem Salazzle. This would take place after Kiawe caught
Marowak, perhaps Kiawe would watch him do it as well. He could use either Pikachu or Rockruff with Litten supporting them. Either one is fine, though it’s a bit iffy since they’ve already got a trial to themselves (well Rockruff gets 2 grand trials).
  • Grass trial: Same as original as well. It’s just weird that Mallow isn’t able to get it here since Ash is already participating. So maybe she’ll need her episode happen earlier on Akala as well.
  • Rock Grand Trial: Same once again.

Ula’ula is where it gets tricky:
  • Electric trial: Ash does it with Pikachu and Poipole (cause why not) and gets Steelium-Z from Molayne. Sophocles could pay a visit here as well but this would be only appearance in Ash’s Ula’ula arc (since other classmates would not be present). I kinda also wanted Sophocles to do it himself does it and gets Bugium-Z instead, but that’s iffy. I reckon having Ash do it here and giving Sophocles Bugium-Z earlier (within this season but out of Ula’ula) should be fine. It allows for him to develop more anyway and spaces out when the classmates get their z rings too.
  • Ghost trial: So Ash doesn’t need Ghostium-Z, but I liked that he battled TR’s Mimikyu. This might be a stretch but I’d have Gladion actually be the one doing the proper trial and getting it. We could have TR also venturing in here and battling Ash simultaneously inside the mall, but that would take the backseat to Gladion’s battle. Gladion could battle a shiny Totem Palossand outside on the beach (shiny bc it’s a black beach) with Umbreon and Lycanroc. I like the idea of Gladion actually participating here, because it shows he followed up (earlier) on his promise to Ash about doing the island challenge and compared to most rivals he felt a lot closer to the main cast (in terms of focus and relevance). Besides he can actually use Ghostium-Z with umbreon and he’s a sick character overall. Also no Pikashium-Z shenanigans with Mimikyu.
  • Dark grand trial: Same climax but a 3v3 with Poipole and Torracat as well. I’m not too fussed on the actual battle, but maybe have Poipole beat Sabeleye and lose to Krookodile, then Torracat beats it and loses to Persian. Alternatively have Poipole lose to Sabeleye, Torracat avenges it and dents Krookodile before going down. Lycanroc then gets its revenge against Krookodile and beats Persian with its red eyed state. Now I know rockium-Z is made redundant with Lycanium-Z, but I honestly can’t think of what other Z crystal to give Ash at this point (and specifically for Lycanrox since it’s about him), so I’ll stick to Lycanium-Z here.
  • Dragon trial: Same as orginal, since Ash doesn’t need it (well until the very end at least. It’s kinda hard to circumvent this trial due to the Aether Arc, but I liked seeing Gladion and Lillie work together to win this. This is also Lillie’s only involvement with a trial so I think it works here.
  • Fairy trial: Once again Ash doesn’t need this one, but I’ll let Mallow get Fairium-Z here. Imo since Ash already overlaps with her on Grassium-Z, she should have another one to differentiate herself. Because both Kiawe and Sophocles also have their own ones. It also suits her, just give Tsareena play rough or something and you should be good to go. Have her battle a totem Ribombee as well, maybe use Shaymin too. Assuming Sophocles doesn’t do anything for the electric trial, Mallow would be the only classmate who hasn’t participated in a trial yet so this rounds it off nicely.
  • Ground Trial: Probably make this more than a 1v1 again but have Torracat be the ace here. He can pick the fighting Z crystal at the end. Since he won’t use it much anyway, I think it’s fine for Ash to get this much at the end instead of at the beginning with Hala.

Hopefully this is better.

Last edited:
Since Dawn is on my mind, I'm thinking back to her battle with Iris - Dawn should have won.

In my depiction, she would dazzle Iris and Dragonite with Contest-esque moves and her coup de grace would be an "ice fortress." This would consist of the Ice Shard power up and topping it off with Mamoswine's newly learned Ice Fang; powerful and stylish, while being something even Dragonite cannot stand up to. Dawn would then go on to battle, and lose to, Trip while Ash defeats Cilan (a call back to their Gym Battle at the series' beginning, which would be a nice way to show how both have changed since then), and Ash Vs. Trip would resume as it did before for Trip's eventual development by battling Alder.

Iris losing to Dawn is pretty inconsequential, as her subsequent battle with Ash and his Krokorok didn't do much for her aside from reinforcing the obvious issues with her and her Dragonite. So, I feel like the change would be acceptable while making Dawn look good as she is. It would also give her a decisive win against Ash's current party of friends, during her stay in Unova.

Reviving this thread again because I've been thinking a lot about Pikachu's spotlight-hogging tendencies recently. It's probably no secret by now that I consider the BW saga to be the era where Pikachu was at his worst in this regard, but then I realized he was also pretty bad at it in Johto, seeing how Pikachu actually participated in literally every Gym there. Tbh, probably the only reason Pikachu robbing his teammates of potential wins and screentime didn't feel as egregious then is due to a combination of the Johto roster being smaller (meaning the loss of battling chances wouldn't hurt as much), and the Johto era in general being dragged on for quite a bit, so there was significantly more time for the Johto mons to get spotlight elsewere (most notably, Heracross may not have participated in any Gyms, but he made up for that by his awesome perfomance at the League, while Totodile only participated in one but made up for that by more or less single-handedly carrying Ash through the early rounds of the Whirl Cup. Phanpy didn't participate in any Gyms either, but it did get a couple of wins in the preliminary rounds at the Johto league -including beating Macy's Slugma- and later became a major player in Battle Frontier, effectively getting full vindication). Still, though, I do think Pikachu could have gone with at least a bit less spotlight hogging in both eras, so I decided to do a rewrite of the Gym Battles of Johto and Unova. So, here's the long (LONG) list of rewrites:

Prelude: For some of these rewrites to work, some rather big rearrangements of events would need to be made. The biggest one is that all the Kanto Starters would be gone and replaced by the Johto ones before Ash even gets to the first Gym. Another big change is that Noctowl would be captured much earlier, and Heracross would stay in the team for much longer so that he gets the chance to participate in at least a few Gyms. Now with that out of the way, let’s get onto the actual fights.

Vs Falkner- Since Charizard would be at Charific Valley before Ash does the Gym Challenge, it’s safe to give Falkner a weaker, more believable team. In my rewrite, Ash uses Pikachu (despite my earlier complaint about the mouse being overused, the fact of the matter is that not using Pikachu in a Flying Gym would be pretty nonsensical, so he gets to stay in this one) and Noctowl, and Falkner’s Pidgeot is a Pidgeotto, while his ace will be a regular-colored Noctowl. The battle now goes like this:
  • Pikachu vs Pidgeotto- Pikachu wins
  • Pikachu vs Falkner’s Noctowl- Noctowl wins
  • Ash’s Noctowl vs Falkner’s Noctowl- Ash’s Noctowl wins
Vs Bugsy- For this battle, Ash uses Heracross instead of Pikachu, and Bugsy uses a Pinsir instead of a Metapod so that we get a Japanese Beetle Brothers reference. So now, the battle looks like this:
  • Cyndaquil vs Spinarak- Cyndaquil is switched out
  • Chikorita vs Spinarak- Chikorita wins
  • Chikorita vs Pinsir- Pinsir wins
  • Heracross vs Pinsir- Heracross wins
  • Heracross vs Scyther- Scyther wins
  • Cyndaquil vs Scyther- Cyndaquil wins
Vs Whitney- Ash’s Cyndaquil and Totodile stay, but now Heracross is his final mon in both the first battle and the rematch. Whitney gets a bit of a team change too: instead of a Nidorina and Clefable, I decided to give her an Aipom and a Furret, due to them being Normal-types that won’t become pure Fairy in future Gens and being Gen 2 mons (I did consider giving Whitney a Jigglypuff, but I think I’d rather have her team be all-Gen 2 for proper Johto rep). Otherwise, both battles go just like in canon, with Cyndaquil bulldozing though Aipom and Furret only for it, Totodile and Heracross to get clobbered by Miltank; then in the rematch, Heracross manages to beat Miltank thanks to a strategy developed by Ash.

Vs Morty- The battle goes the same way, except Morty’s Gastly is instead a Misdreavus for the Gen 2 rep. I decide to leave Pikachu in this one because he was the fall guy anyway.

Vs Chuck- The battle is now a 3v3, with Chuck and Ash adding Primeape and Noctowl respectively into the mix. Pikachu stays in this one too because, once again, he’s gonna be the fall guy anyway. The battle goes down like this:
  • Noctowl vs Primeape- Noctowl wins
  • Noctowl vs Poliwrath- Poliwrath wins
  • Pikachu vs Poliwrath- Poliwrath wins
  • Bayleef vs Poliwrath- Bayleef wins
  • Bayleef vs Machoke- Bayleef wins
Vs Jasmine- Again, the battle is now a 3v3, with Jasmine using a Skarmory, while Ash adds Phanpy (by now Heracross has been Oak’d to make room for the baby elephant). The battle now goes like this:
  • Phanpy vs Magnemite- Phanpy wins
  • Phanpy vs Skarmory- Skarmory wins
  • Pikachu vs Skarmory- Pikachu wins
  • Pikachu vs Steelix- Steelix wins
  • Cyndaquil vs Steelix- Cyndaquil wins
Vs Pryce- Once again this is a 3v3 battle, where Phanpy is once again added to Ash’s team (as payback for being beaten in an earlier unofficial bout) while Pryce is given a Delibird (for, yes, Gen 2 rep). This time, though, Ash’s last Pokemon against Pryce is Totodile instead of Pikachu, since Totodile only participated in Whitney’s Gym (where he lost without ever scoring a win. Twice) and I think it’s only fair to let the little croc get to be the star of at least one Gym to compensate. The battle now goes like this:
  • Cyndaquil vs Dewgong- Cyndaquil wins
  • Cindaquil vs Piloswine- Piloswine wins and is switched out
  • Phanpy vs Delibird- Phanpy wins
  • Phanpy vs Piloswine- Piloswine wins
  • Totodile vs Piloswine- Totodile wins
Vs Clair- This one stays the same in both outcomes and Pokemon used, both the first match and the rematch.

Vs the Striaton Brothers- For this match, some rearrangements have been made, namely that Ash would catch Snivy before challenging this Gym so that he already has the Unova Starter trio complete. As a result, the battle would now be a Triple Battle (kind of odd that there was only one Triple Battle in the whole BW saga, and it was in a filler episode at that. So I’m correcting that) between the Unova Starters and the Elemental Monkeys. To make it more challenging, Ash’s Pokemon are only allowed to target the Monkeys that they have the type disadvantage against. They still win, of course.

Vs Lenora- No change to either the first bout or the rematch.

Vs Burgh- Goes down like it did in canon, except that Tranquill takes Pikachu’s place as Ash’s final Pokemon because honestly, the mouse had no business being here.

Vs Elesa- I know I already did a rewrite of this one, but I wanna do it again because since Snivy now has another Gym participation under her belt against the Striaton Trio, it’s safe to let her out of this one. So now, the fight goes like this (Note: Ash DOESN’T try to bank the whole match on just Palpitoad and prepares his team properly, so there’s no “running out of the Gym to get my Pokemon” shenanigans):

• Palpitoad vs Zebstrika- Palpitoad wins
  • Palpitoad vs Emolga- Emolga wins
  • Roggenrola vs Emolga- Roggenrola wins
  • Roggenrola vs Joltik- Joltik wins (I still really like the idea of Elesa’s ace being something tiny but deceptively powerful because it’d be an interesting challenge for Ash and his Pokemon to face, since usually they fight against opponents their size or larger)
  • Pikachu vs Joltik- Pikachu wins
Vs Clay- Stays the same

Vs Skyla- Stays the same

Vs Brycen- Stays the same

Vs Roxie- Already did a rewrite of this one, and unlike Elesa’s, I’m happy with how I did that one, so I’ll just repost it:
  • Koffing vs Boldore- Koffing wins. This wouldn't differ much from canon. Gyro Ball is big jerk.
  • Koffing vs Leavanny- Leavanny wins. I actually do like how Leavanny beat Koffing in canon, so I'm gonna keep it as is.
  • Crobat vs Leavanny- Crobat wins. Double type advantage is big jerk.
  • Crobat vs Unfezant- Unfezant wins. I know Unfezant's first, last and only Gym win already was against another Flying-type, but I just really like aerial battles, okay? Don't judge.
  • Drapion vs Unfezant- Drapion wins. Think Paul's Drapion vs Ash's Staraptor back in Sinnoh and you get the idea of what happens here. Though I don't think Roxie would be anywhere near as brutal.
  • Drapion vs Palpitoad- Palpitoad wins. Probably through a combination of Supersonic to disorient Drapion and then finishing them off with super effective STAB Mud Shot.
  • Scolipede vs Palpitoad- Draw. Scolipede would wear down Palpitoad with Toxic, but the latter's hard-hitting moves would also prove too much, so this would be the result.
  • Muk vs Pignite- Pignite wins. It's hard at first due to Muk's liquid body, but Ash would quickly learn that Flamethrower and Fire Pledge do deal damage, so he just has to use those moves creatively.
  • Garbodor vs Pignite- Garbodor wins. I'm not gonna let the Gym Leader's ace go down without at least one win. The fight is probably identical to canon, honestly.
  • Garbodor vs Pikachu- Pikachu wins. Also identical to canon... you know what, outside of the bizarre decision of making it a 3v6, the battle itself is actually pretty okay... but yeah, it was still dumb to make it 3v6 and I stand by that.
And that's a wrap! Pikachu still pariticpates in a fair bit of them, but now some of the mouse's wins have been redistributed to more neglected mons.

Personally, this is how I would have best liked the Gym battle against Volkner to go:
  1. Electivire vs Pikachu- Pikachu wins
  2. Jolteon vs Pikachu- Jolteon wins
  3. Jolteon vs Torterra- Torterra wins
  4. Luxray vs Torterra- Luxray wins
  5. Luxray vs Infernape- Infernape wins
Okay, I decided to go back on this rewrite because I wanted to expand on it and explain in detail how each battle would go down. Aditionally, I want to add that in the first actual battle Ash and Volkner had (which got interrupted by Team Rocket), I'd have him establish his power by making his Luxray easily beat Pikachu before facing Grotle. But the real show-stopper is obviously the rematch:
  1. Electivire vs Pikachu- Pikachu wins. The battle goes down basically like it did in canon, with Electivire intially having the upper hand due to Motor Drive getting activated until Pikachu's Static is triggered and allows the yellow mouse to turn the tables.
  2. Jolteon vs Pikachu- Jolteon wins. This would be a matter of Pikachu effectively getting hard-countered: not only does Jolteon also have an Ability that negates damage from Electric attacks, but it's much faster and more agile than Pikachu, and its attacks would all be non-contact, meaning another lucky Static trigger save is all but impossible. In short, Pikachu effectively has almost nothing to properly fight Jolteon with and in the ends just gets overwhelmed. Granted, Pikachu would not go down without swinging and even manages to land some powerful hits on Jolteon with Quick Attack and two consecutive Iron Tails, but ultimately it's not enough.
  3. Jolteon vs Torterra- Torterra wins. Let's face it, it was horribly unfair on the writers' part to give Infernape its bajillionth extra win in this Gym at Torterra's expense, so I'm righting that wrong. Ash would open the fight by having Torterra go for Leaf Storm, which Jolteon blocks by using Discharge (sidenote: I'd change Volkner's Jolteon's moveset up a bit to make both an actual threat to Torterra and a bit less generic, so now its primary STAB would be Discharge in place of the overused Thunderbolt). Jolteon then fires off a Signal Beam, which makes Torterra stumble a bit. Ash tells Torterra to fire off Energy Balls in quick succession, but Jolteon dodges them all with Agility. Ash then calls for Rock Climb, which once again fails Torterra as Volkner simply has Jolteon jump out of the way of the rock pillar and hits Torterra with a Hidden Power Ice. Torterra refuses to go down, though, and groggily gets back on its feet, Ash then calls for a Synthesis recovery, which of course Volkner tries to take advantage of by telling Jolteon to use another Signal Beam while Torterra heals itself. In response, Ash has Torterra stop Synthesis and calls for it to counter with Energy Ball. The two attacks collide, and eventually Jolteon's Signal Beam ends up pushing Torterra's Energy Ball back... and into the Grass-type's mouth. Yep, the swallow Energy Ball technique has been triggered. Using its new power boost, Torterra completely turns the tide of the battle, starting off with using a variant of Rock Climb that affects the entire field as small earthy columns rather than one huge mountain, kinda like a prototype of the modern Stone Edge animation. Jolteon tries to dodge with Agility, but the columns are so numerous and coming up so fast that it ultimately can't dodge them all and is hit hard several times. Torterra then finishes things off with an absolutely massive Energy Ball-boosted Leaf Storm, which completely overwhelms Jolteon's attempts to block it with Discharge and sends the Electric Eeveelution crashing into the cieling and then falling to the ground defeated.
  4. Luxray vs Torterra- Luxray wins. Like Jolteon, Luxray has an updated moveset where I give it the Fire and Ice Fangs, which it uses in a quick combo move to defeat Torterra, whose Energ Ball-boosted state has run out by this point, leaving it exhausted and wide open.
  5. Luxray vs Infernape- Infernape wins. Same result with slightly different battle due to the change in Luxray's moveset: the lion-lynx would obviously use its Electric STAB moves primarily for offense while the Fire and Ice Fangs are used more tactically: Fire Fang is used to sort of "absorb" Infernape's Fire-type attacks while Ice Fang is used to briefly incapacitate Infernape's Mach Punch by freezing his fists. In the end it's not enough, though, as Infernape of course masters Super Sayan Blaze and wins the match for Ash.

On another note, I think the League match against Paul should also be rewritten to give Torterra another win, since it's literally the only Pokemon of Ash's who never got a win against Paul (besides Gible, who didn't even participate in the rivalry anyway). For this, I think it's only the first three matches that really need revamping, as the rest of the fight would go down like it did in the show:
  1. Aggron vs Pikachu- Pikachu is switched out. No changes here.
  2. Aggron vs Torterra- Torterra wins. Yep, I'm making Ash send out Torterra instead of Infernape against Aggron because in this scenario Torterra would have already used its tanking battle style against speedsters like Candice's Sneasel and Volkner's Jolteon, so I think it'd be both fun and a nice change of pace for Torterra to try its style against another Pokemon that was also slow and bulky hard hitter. So it'd be like a mini-kaiju fight. This time Torterra would win not through swallowing Energy Ball, but simply because it'll turn out to have better endurance and stamina than its opponent, thereby showing that Torterra has finally truly mastered its tanking battle style, enduring Aggron's Metal Claw and Double-Edge blows while dishing out powerful Energy Balls and Leaf Storms in turn until Aggron collapses. That said, Aggron does manage to hit Torterra with a Special Defense-lowering Metal Sound, which will cause it some problems in the next battle.
  3. Gastrodon vs Torterra- Torterra is switched out. Of course Ash leaves in Torterra at first, since it's up against a Water/Ground-type, but Paul being Paul deliberately did this baiting: Gastrodon blocks Torterra's Leafs Storm with the Muddy Water Counter Shield and then hits Torterra with a Body Slam and point-blank Ice Beam combo, hurting Torterra badly (made all the worse by the effect from Aggron's Metal Sound) and forcing Ash to recall it and send Buizel out to deal with the slug. From here on out all the fights would happen like they did in canon, with the only other change being that Drapion does not OHKO Torterra with Pin Missile after the former heals itself. Drapion still wins, though, it just lands at least a few more hits, and Torterra can now afford to lose to Drapion now that it has an actual win in the battle.

And so concludes my Torterra Redemption Arc. I know that this is just two wins, and will thus probably not fix Torterra's disastrous winrate by much, but two wins is still better than no wins.

Okay, I decided to go back on this rewrite because I wanted to expand on it and explain in detail how each battle would go down. Aditionally, I want to add that in the first actual battle Ash and Volkner had (which got interrupted by Team Rocket), I'd have him establish his power by making his Luxray easily beat Pikachu before facing Grotle. But the real show-stopper is obviously the rematch:
  1. Electivire vs Pikachu- Pikachu wins. The battle goes down basically like it did in canon, with Electivire intially having the upper hand due to Motor Drive getting activated until Pikachu's Static is triggered and allows the yellow mouse to turn the tables.
  2. Jolteon vs Pikachu- Jolteon wins. This would be a matter of Pikachu effectively getting hard-countered: not only does Jolteon also have an Ability that negates damage from Electric attacks, but it's much faster and more agile than Pikachu, and its attacks would all be non-contact, meaning another lucky Static trigger save is all but impossible. In short, Pikachu effectively has almost nothing to properly fight Jolteon with and in the ends just gets overwhelmed. Granted, Pikachu would not go down without swinging and even manages to land some powerful hits on Jolteon with Quick Attack and two consecutive Iron Tails, but ultimately it's not enough.
  3. Jolteon vs Torterra- Torterra wins. Let's face it, it was horribly unfair on the writers' part to give Infernape its bajillionth extra win in this Gym at Torterra's expense, so I'm righting that wrong. Ash would open the fight by having Torterra go for Leaf Storm, which Jolteon blocks by using Discharge (sidenote: I'd change Volkner's Jolteon's moveset up a bit to make both an actual threat to Torterra and a bit less generic, so now its primary STAB would be Discharge in place of the overused Thunderbolt). Jolteon then fires off a Signal Beam, which makes Torterra stumble a bit. Ash tells Torterra to fire off Energy Balls in quick succession, but Jolteon dodges them all with Agility. Ash then calls for Rock Climb, which once again fails Torterra as Volkner simply has Jolteon jump out of the way of the rock pillar and hits Torterra with a Hidden Power Ice. Torterra refuses to go down, though, and groggily gets back on its feet, Ash then calls for a Synthesis recovery, which of course Volkner tries to take advantage of by telling Jolteon to use another Signal Beam while Torterra heals itself. In response, Ash has Torterra stop Synthesis and calls for it to counter with Energy Ball. The two attacks collide, and eventually Jolteon's Signal Beam ends up pushing Torterra's Energy Ball back... and into the Grass-type's mouth. Yep, the swallow Energy Ball technique has been triggered. Using its new power boost, Torterra completely turns the tide of the battle, starting off with using a variant of Rock Climb that affects the entire field as small earthy columns rather than one huge mountain, kinda like a prototype of the modern Stone Edge animation. Jolteon tries to dodge with Agility, but the columns are so numerous and coming up so fast that it ultimately can't dodge them all and is hit hard several times. Torterra then finishes things off with an absolutely massive Energy Ball-boosted Leaf Storm, which completely overwhelms Jolteon's attempts to block it with Discharge and sends the Electric Eeveelution crashing into the cieling and then falling to the ground defeated.
  4. Luxray vs Torterra- Luxray wins. Like Jolteon, Luxray has an updated moveset where I give it the Fire and Ice Fangs, which it uses in a quick combo move to defeat Torterra, whose Energ Ball-boosted state has run out by this point, leaving it exhausted and wide open.
  5. Luxray vs Infernape- Infernape wins. Same result with slightly different battle due to the change in Luxray's moveset: the lion-lynx would obviously use its Electric STAB moves primarily for offense while the Fire and Ice Fangs are used more tactically: Fire Fang is used to sort of "absorb" Infernape's Fire-type attacks while Ice Fang is used to briefly incapacitate Infernape's Mach Punch by freezing his fists. In the end it's not enough, though, as Infernape of course masters Super Sayan Blaze and wins the match for Ash.

On another note, I think the League match against Paul should also be rewritten to give Torterra another win, since it's literally the only Pokemon of Ash's who never got a win against Paul (besides Gible, who didn't even participate in the rivalry anyway). For this, I think it's only the first three matches that really need revamping, as the rest of the fight would go down like it did in the show:
  2. Aggron vs Torterra- Torterra wins. Yep, I'm making Ash send out Torterra instead of Infernape against Aggron because in this scenario Torterra would have already used its tanking battle style against speedsters like Candice's Sneasel and Volkner's Jolteon, so I think it'd be both fun and a nice change of pace for Torterra to try its style against another Pokemon that was also slow and bulky hard hitter. So it'd be like a mini-kaiju fight. This time Torterra would win not through swallowing Energy Ball, but simply because it'll turn out to have better endurance and stamina than its opponent, thereby showing that Torterra has finally truly mastered its tanking battle style, enduring Aggron's Metal Claw and Double-Edge blows while dishing out powerful Energy Balls and Leaf Storms in turn until Aggron collapses. That said, Aggron does manage to hit Torterra with a Special Defense-lowering Metal Sound, which will cause it some problems in the next battle.
  3. Gastrodon vs Torterra- Torterra is switched out. Of course Ash leaves in Torterra at first, since it's up against a Water/Ground-type, but Paul being Paul deliberately did this baiting: Gastrodon blocks Torterra's Leafs Storm with the Muddy Water Counter Shield and then hits Torterra with a Body Slam and point-blank Ice Beam combo, hurting Torterra badly (made all the worse by the effect from Aggron's Metal Sound) and forcing Ash to recall it and send Buizel out to deal with the slug. From here on out all the fights would happen like they did in canon, with the only other change being that Drapion does not OHKO Torterra with Pin Missile after the former heals itself. Drapion still wins, though, it just lands at least a few more hits, and Torterra can now afford to lose to Drapion now that it has an actual win in the battle.

And so concludes my Torterra Redemption Arc. I know that this is just two wins, and will thus probably not fix Torterra's disastrous winrate by much, but two wins is still better than no wins.

You can even make it so Gliscor doesn't get the win against Drapion, but it does win against Ninjask (With that battle turning out differently, Infernape is the one first going up against Ninjask, but being recalled, because it cannot hit the flying type and Gliscor being brought out against Ninjask, but getting severely damaged by it before taking it down, then Gliscor loses against Drapion and Torterra takes the double KO against Drapion).

You actually had the guts to do what the writers didn't had: do Torterra right. Thank u :bulbaLove: :bulbaLove:

So, can you fly to Japan and become a writer? And still mod on the side? You took the most boring Sinnoh Gym Battle for me and made it so much better; I like that Jolteon gets a better showing too rather than being Infernape's punching bag.

I love the Torterra Vs. Jolteon rewrite. I would take it one little step further and have grass sprouting a bit on the terrain shift from Torterra's enhanced Rock Climb; I think it would look really nice with the earthy imagery.

Back
Top Bottom