• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rewriting battles

So, can you fly to Japan and become a writer? And still mod on the side? You took the most boring Sinnoh Gym Battle for me and made it so much better; I like that Jolteon gets a better showing too rather than being Infernape's punching bag.

I love the Torterra Vs. Jolteon rewrite. I would take it one little step further and have grass sprouting a bit on the terrain shift from Torterra's enhanced Rock Climb; I think it would look really nice with the earthy imagery.
Aww, thanks! I personally still liked the Gym Battle against Volkner, but even I have to admit that in some places its execution was massively flawed: poor Torterra gets shafted for the upteenth time, and Jolteon's only purpose is to add yet another entry onto Infernape's already bloated resume of victories. It would have made little to no difference if those two had been entirely absent from that Gym Battle when you think about it. So with this rewrite I effectively kill two birds with one stone. Granted, bias did influence this decision quite a bit, as the Turtwig line is my favorite Sinnoh starter while Jolteon is my favorite Eeveelution, so of course I'm gonna give them good treatment whenever I write battles involving either of them XD

Aww, thanks! I personally still liked the Gym Battle against Volkner, but even I have to admit that in some places its execution was massively flawed: poor Torterra gets shafted for the upteenth time, and Jolteon's only purpose is to add yet another entry onto Infernape's already bloated resume of victories. It would have made little to no difference if those two had been entirely absent from that Gym Battle when you think about it. So with this rewrite I effectively kill two birds with one stone. Granted, bias did influence this decision quite a bit, as the Turtwig line is my favorite Sinnoh starter while Jolteon is my favorite Eeveelution, so of course I'm gonna give them good treatment whenever I write battles involving either of them XD
All that's left is selecting the musical scores to go with your new scenes! I was thinking of this one as Ash realizes that he needs to make the most of Torterra's limited buff.

It might sound cliche or just plainly obvious, but I'd rewrite all of Kanto's major battles (Gym and league, that is). No more pity badges, and no more weird rules (Sleeping condition\substitution = Out of battle).

Now other battles that'd need rewrite, from the top of my mind: Satoshi vs Jindai (Pikachu defeating Regice with a single move after it healed with Rest is just awful), Satoshi vs Kamitsure (obvious reasons), Satoshi vs Homika (6vs6, please), Satoshi vs Kotetsu (duh), and many others that I can't fully remember right now.

On Ash's Kalos League loss, it was super dumb of Ash not to switch out Noivern against Weavile. That was BW levels of idiotic.
Anything else Ash did stupid in the match other than not saving Pikachu against Charizard and having Greninja not dodge Blast Burn again even though it was capable of it?
Here's a more sensible way:
Pikachu vs Tyrantiar: Pikachu wins
Hawlucha vs Weavile: Hawlucha wins
Hawlucha vs Bisharp: Bisharp probably wins due to Guillotine but its heavily damaged
Pikachu vs Unfezant: Pikachu wins
Noivern vs Metagross: Metagross wins
Greninja vs Metagross: Greninja wins
Bisharp vs Talonflame: Talonflame wins
Charizard beats Talonflame and Goodra

Then it can go two ways:
Pikachu falls to Charizard but it sustains enough damage that Greninja defeats Charizard
Greninja falls to Charizard but Pikachu is able to defeat it

Noivern and Goodra help in taking down Metagross and Charizard respectfully, and everyone fights hard and doesn't job like irl

On Ash's Kalos League loss, it was super dumb of Ash not to switch out Noivern against Weavile. That was BW levels of idiotic.
Anything else Ash did stupid in the match other than not saving Pikachu against Charizard and having Greninja not dodge Blast Burn again even though it was capable of it?
Hawlucha vs Bisharp: Bisharp probably wins due to Guillotine but its heavily damaged

Then it can go two ways:
Pikachu falls to Charizard but it sustains enough damage that Greninja defeats Charizard

Noivern and Goodra help in taking down Metagross and Charizard respectfully, and everyone fights hard and doesn't job like irl
Goodra still shows up short with no victories while Pikachu still gets two? D:

I think any rewrite of those final Kalos battles should have Goodra decisively winning at least one fight per the two battles; as a pseudo legendary and Ash's strongest Kalos mon after Greninja, it deserved better.

Goodra still shows up short with no victories while Pikachu still gets two? D:

I think any rewrite of those final Kalos battles should have Goodra decisively winning at least one fight per the two battles; as a pseudo legendary and Ash's strongest Kalos mon after Greninja, it deserved better.
Goodra could beat Tyranitar, actually that would save up Pikachu at almost full power
Maybe Ash could win with both Greninja and Pikachu left
I wanted to have Greninja beat Metagross so that it can activate Battle Bond and be more rested up for the fight against Charizard

I'm gonna rewrite Ash vs Sawyer, one of my favourite battles of the entire anime
Slaking vs Talonflame(Winner: Talonflame)
Clawitzer vs Talonflame(Switch out Talonflame)
Clawitzer vs Pikachu(Winner: Pikachu)
Aegislash vs Pikachu(Switch out Pikachu)
Aegislash vs Talonflame( Winner: Aegislash)
Aegislash vs Goodra( Winner: Goodra)
Slurpuff vs Goodra( Winner: Slurpuff)
Slurpuff vs Noivern( Winner: Noivern)
Salamance vs Noivern( Winner: Salamance)
Salamance vs Hawlucha( Winner: Hawlucha)
Sceptile vs Hawlucha( Winner: Sceptile
Mega Sceptile vs Pikachu( Winner: Mega Sceptile)
Mega Sceptile vs Ash Greninja( Winner: Ash Greninja)

I decided to rewrite the Gym Battle against Giovanni in Pokemon Origins, since that one's my least favorite by a longshot ...not that any of the battles in Origins are really any good to begin with except for Megazard X vs Mewtwo, but still. To start things off with, the very first thing I'd do is to get rid of the stupid "anything that isn't Charizard gets OHKO'd, or maybe 2HKO'd if they're lucky" rule, because its existence not only made the fights obscenely boring (notice how the only good one, Mewtwo vs Charizard, is coincidentally the only one to ignore that rule entirely and be more in line with how main anime fights are usually depicted: with both Pokemon taking a realetively large number of hits before one of them goes down), but also it means that the losing Pokemon aren't allowed to even get in a hit, which just exacerbates the problem of Red's team being made up of disposable jobbers who don't contribute anything to any battles unless you count "makes Charizard look good at their expense" as a contribution. This of course also means that the healthbars displayed on the battle screens would be absent in my version of the fights, as I feel they didn't really add anything substantial anyway and I think that generally it's best to just leave the amount of damage taken to visual cues like Pokemon being visibly bruised/exhausted, as it adds more tension and personality to the fights.

Anyway, I decided to change the order of Red's Pokemon a bit so that the choices used against Giovanni get progressively worse in terms of type matchups as a way to illustrate Red being slowly backed into a corner before he manages to come back from the brink.
  1. Victreebel vs Rhyhorn- Rhyhorn wins. Obviously, since the fight still has to come down to Charizard being the last mon standing on Red's side, meaning Giovanni's mons are still largely going to cleave through most of Red's team. That said, unlike in the actual canon fight, where almost everyone just folded to one hit without ever even managing to touch Giovanni's Pokemon, Victreebel does manage to influct some damage before it goes down; namely, it immobilizes Rhydon with Wrap and strikes it with point-blank Razor Leaves, but Rhydon shrugs them off and frees itself by using Thunder (decided to give it this instead of Thunderbolt because I feel like Thunder's higher power would make more sense due to somewhat compensating for Rhydon's lackluster Special Attack) to stun Victreebel, and hit back with Horn Attack. Rhyhorn then knocks Victreebel out with a Take-Down/Fury Attack combo (also getting rid of Horn Drill for both Rhyhorn and Rhydon because I don't like guaranteed OHKO moves lol).
  2. Kabutops vs Rhyhorn- Rhyhorn wins. Like Victreebel, Kabutops deals some damage to Rhyhorn but isn't able to beat it. Kabutops actually has the upper hand in the fight at first since its powerful Hydro Pump keeps Rhyhorn on its toes, but eventually Rhyhorn lands a Thunder, which on top of heavy damage also gets a lucky paralysis, which ends up turning the tables and causing Kabutops to miss out on some crucial hits on top of getting extra damage itself due to being unable to dodge. Eventually, Kabutops just collapes from fatigue.
  3. Hitmonlee vs Rhyhorn- Hitmonlee wins. Rhyhorn already beat two Pokemon with a tremendous type advantage over it, which I think is more than enough to establish how powerful it is. It doesn't need to sweep five of Red's Pokemon in a row. It can lose now, so it loses here. Besides, by now Rhydon should be exhausted by all the damage it took, so Hitmonlee finishes it off without too much difficulty, albeit not without taking some damage back himself.
  4. Hitmonlee vs Rhydon- Rhydon wins. To demonstrate how much more powerful Rhydon is compared to Rhyhorn, it actually beats Hitmonlee in just one Mega Punch without taking damage. Now that OHKOs are rarer, the ones that do occur now are an actual shock and provide actual tension. What a concept, right?
  5. Snorlax vs Rhydon- Rhydon wins. Snorlax tries to use its huge bulk to its advantage, pinning Rhydon down with Body Slam and dishing out some powerful Blizzard attacks which actually even manage to make Rhydon reel back in pain at one point, but the latter ultimately proves the tougher Pokemon and Snorlax is eventually overwhelmed by a barrage of devastating Mega Punches and Rock Slides, and then finished off by a point-blank Hyper Beam.
  6. Jolteon vs Rhydon- Rhydon wins. Red actually hesitates on his next choice until Giovanni gets impatient and tells him to hurry up. Red reluctantly sends Jolteon out, and Giovanni laughs because he realizes that this means that Red is completely out of usable options to fight his Rhydon with and goes all "I guess you just have Jolteon and your Charizard left, eh? How do you expect to win now that your last two remaining Pokemon are weak against my Rhydon, especially since your Pokemon that should have been strong against my Ground-types already had such a hard time taking down just Rhyhorn?" Red just lowers his head and mutters an apology to his Jolteon: he knows that it can't possibly win here, but Charizard is going to need every edge it can get to secure the victory, so all Red really needs for Jolteon to accomplish is getting some damage in. Red then issues his command, and Jolteon uses its speed and smaller frame to avoid Rhydon's blows for a bit and deals some chip damage with Double Kick and Pin Missile. Eventually, though, Rhydon manages to catch Jolteon and pin it down, knocking it out with a devastating Dig/Mega Punch combo. Giovanni gets all cocky and goes "Well, what did you expect, kid? That was an Electric-type going up against a Ground/Rock-type. And now your last Pokemon is one with a double weakness, so you might as well forfeit now. There's no way you can beat me!" but then Red gets angry and points out that Giovanni put him and his team into a really unfair position by having them fight against Pokemon that were clearly way over the power level of what a Gym Leader should be using against challengers, and yet they still gave it their all and managed to inflict damage on Giovanni's OP beasts regardless. Red then states that he's proud of his team for having done their best and then assures Giovanni that their efforts will not go to waste because Charizard will take Rhydon down. Giovanni chides Red, saying that the only thing that matters in a Pokemon battle is power, but Red argues that friendship and teamwork can overcome even the most powerful opponent. So yeah, Red's beef against Team Rocket is no longer hypocritical and he treats his whole team with respect.
  7. Charizard vs Rhydon- Charizard wins. The fight itself goes similarly to the canon one, with the opening move from both Pokemon being Mega Punches that land their marks, then Charizard goes for a massive Flamethrower that engulfs Rhydon, but the Rock-type manages to shrug off the flames and retaliate with a Rock Slide which leaves Charizard badly hurt. Rhydon then tries to finish Charizard off with a Hyper Beam, but the Flame Pokemon manages to fly out of the way at the last second and then knocks out Rhydon with a Seismic Toss. Turns out that he damage that Snorlax and Jolteon managed to inflict on Rhydon may have not looked like much, but it still proved just enough for Charizard to barely beat it, therefore proving Red's philosphy of teamwork and bonds trouncing power right and achieving both a literal and a moral victory over Giovanni, who is left utterly humbled.
I did also want to make a rewrite where both Giovanni and Red use a full team, but I think I wanna brainstorm that one for a little bit longer. For now the above rewrite will have to do, as most of my major issues with the fight have already been adressed: Red's Pokemon all contribute to taking down Giovanni's even if most don't actually win, Red isn't dismissive of everyone that isn't Charizard, and the fights themselves are hopefully at least marginally less boring.

Reviving this thread a-freaking-gain because I love making these rewrites, lol. This time I decided to do a rewrite of Iris’s PWC battle, which I decided to turn into a full 6v6 with Ash bringing back some of his Unova reserves, not just for the sweet nostalgia, but also because the Unova team was frankly messy as hell, and many if not most of them could use a redemptive comeback.

Team Ash: Oshawott, Snivy, Unfezant, Krookodile, Boldore, Palpitoad

Team Iris: Excadrill, Emolga, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Dragonite, Haxorus

• Oshawott vs Excadrill- Oshawott wins. I may not like Oshawott as a character, but even I can recognize that he was done quite dirty in battles during Unova, since not only did he often lose (and not just lose but lose badly), but what few victories he does have were not particularly impressive. So, I’m throwing him a bone and letting him get the first win of the match by having him beat Iris’s Excadrill, who was her most powerful Pokemon during the Unova run besides Dragonite. Excadrill would of course not go down without a fight, but Oshawott would ultimately come out victorious, showing off how much he’s improved while at Oak’s ranch.
  • Oshawott vs Emolga- Emolga wins. Emolga didn’t battle much back in Unova due to how lazy she was (she has a grand total of three non-Team Rocket fights, and I’m pretty sure one of them was even inconclusive), but I seriously doubt she would still be a non-battler under a Champion Iris, so letting her not only willingly battle Oshawott without complaint nor displays of laziness but also beat him would be a good show of how far she’s come. Oshawott would know Ice Beam in this fight, so it wouldn’t be as easy a win as the type matchup suggests, but Emolga would still take it.
  • Snivy vs Emolga- Snivy wins. Snivy and Emolga were rivals during BW and I don’t think this was ever properly resolved, so better late than never. I decided to let Snivy win not just to demonstrate her improved battle skills, but also to make up for her loss against Elesa’s Emolga back in BW. I also think that during the fight, Snivy and Emolga would gradually come to respect each other’s newfound strength as they trade blows, with Emolga giving Snivy an approving smile right before she faints from the damage of the tiny grass snake’s final attack.
  • Snivy vs Garchomp- Snivy wins. Yes, I’m giving Snivy another win, and I’ll cleanly admit that it’s because of pure bias because I love Ash’s Snivy and think she should have been a lot better a battler than what she ended up being, so I’m letting her KO a pseudo-legendary, and I feel it’s more realistic for Snivy to win against a Garchomp than against a Hydreigon or a Dragonite.
  • Snivy vs Hydreigon- Hydreigon wins. Case in point. Snivy would also more than likely be beyond exhausted by the time Hydreigon comes out, so she’d probably go down quickly, but I think that’s still fair since being easily defeated after KOing two mons in a row is still a dignified loss.
  • Unfezant vs Hydreigon- Unfezant wins. Another Unova Pokemon who got a raw deal, probably the worst deal out of the Unova roster. Needless to say, Unfezant needs and deserves this win. And hey, Unfezant did go off to train with Swellow and Staraptor at the end of BW, so I think it’d be awesome to see that pay off in the form of her having improved her speed and power so much that she can evenly trade blows with a Champion’s Hydreigon and fly circles around it, and Unfezant ultimately knocks Hydreigon out with a powerful new move ala Noctowl vs Lickitung back in the Sinnoh League.
  • Unfezant vs Dragonite- Dragonite wins. Dragonite is currently kind of the Torterra of Iris’s team to the point that he’s yet to win a single battle while he and his trainer are in sync, so I’m letting him beat Unfezant, much as I would love to give her another win. Dragonite would not be able to keep up with Unfezant’s speed but would more than make up for it with far greater power (helped by the fact that two of his moves are super-effective against his opponent), ultimately knocking her out after just a few devastating blows.
  • Krookodile vs Dragonite- Dragonite wins. Yes, I know that Krookodile was the ace of the Unova team, but that’s exactly why I’m making him the fall guy in this fight: he literally only had one loss in BW, so he can more than afford to take a winless L. Besides, since Krookodile defeated Dragonite right after evolving back in BW, having Dragonite beat him in here return would neatly demonstrate how far Dragonite has come both as a battler and a partner for Iris.
  • Boldore vs Dragonite- Boldore wins. Not a whole lot to say here, it’s another Unova underdog demonstrating improved battling skill by beating a powerful opponent.
  • Boldore vs Haxorus- Haxorus wins. Boldore is another Pokemon that I would have liked to give more than one win, but unfortunately that wasn’t possible: no way I’m letting Iris’s ace be defeated without knocking out something else first, especially because the last time we saw said ace he could barely fight his way out of a paper bag. In short, Haxorus demolishes Boldore, I’m afraid...
  • Palpitoad vs Haxorus- Palpitoad wins. And thus ends the redemption of the Unova underdogs, appropriately culminating with the Pokemon with the least appearances of the BW cast being the one to defeat the Champion’s ace. Thank you, and good night.

Okay, so here's a more thorough re-do of Ash Vs Gary in the Johto league. I redid both teams a bit; for Gary I decided to switch a few of his teammates for ones he used in the games. Gary now uses
1 Blastoise
2 Scizor
3 Tyranitar (maybe cheating since he didn't use one until HG/SS but I think Johto's psuedo deserves a good spot in the league)
4 Umbreon
5 Exeggutor
6 Arcanine

Ash uses
1 Pikachu
2 Charizard
3 Heracross
4 Bayleef
5 Cyndaquil
6 Totodile
Yes, the Johto team are getting more presence in the Johto league's most important battle.

Bold means that Pokémon is KOed by its opponent, Italics means the Pokémon is withdrawn without being defeated.
1: Scizor vs Totodile (Gary isn't expecting his Scizor to lose here and fails to switch in time)
2: Blastoise vs Totodile (Totodile gets battered around and Ash pulls it out barely hanging in)
3: Blastoise vs Pikachu (Gary nope out of this)
4: Exeggutor vs Pikachu (Pikachu gets tossed around a bit and Ash calls him back)
5: Exeggutor vs Cyndaquil (nothing surprising)
6: Blastoise vs Cyndaquil
7: Blastoise vs Bayleef (you spot the pattern--Gary is making sure his starter doesn't fight anything strong against it)
8: Tyranitar vs Bayleef (she gets some good hits in, but Tyranitar is too powerful)
9: Tyranitar vs Totodile (Ash hopes the type advantage will be enough to clinch it, but Totodile is too tired and Tyranitar too beastly)
Halftime called
10: Umbreon vs Pikachu (manages to get things tied up)
11: Tyranitar vs Pikachu (gets a good hit in though)
12: Tyranitar vs Heracross (4X type advantage means a lot)
13: Blastoise vs Heracross (can't get in range and Hydro Pump drops them)
14: Arcanine vs Charizard (of course)
15: Blastoise vs Charizard (no major change)

I reversed the original so a couple of Gary's do the heavy lifting for his team; my thought is that since Ash's Pokémon are the ones who are actual characters they deserve to be the ones with better representation.
I didn't like Bayleef being the "fall guy" but I think having her force Gary's ace to withdraw helps a bit and she did get a two in one Gym Battle win earlier. I couldn't use Charizard since he had to give Ash this win as payoff for his training, and I figure Pikachu should have beat Umbreon (and Gary in general) at some point.

Okay, so here's a more thorough re-do of Ash Vs Gary in the Johto league. I redid both teams a bit; for Gary I decided to switch a few of his teammates for ones he used in the games. Gary now uses
1 Blastoise
2 Scizor
3 Tyranitar (maybe cheating since he didn't use one until HG/SS but I think Johto's psuedo deserves a good spot in the league)
4 Umbreon
5 Exeggutor
6 Arcanine

Ash uses
1 Pikachu
2 Charizard
3 Heracross
4 Bayleef
5 Cyndaquil
6 Totodile
Yes, the Johto team are getting more presence in the Johto league's most important battle.

Bold means that Pokémon is KOed by its opponent, Italics means the Pokémon is withdrawn without being defeated.
1: Scizor vs Totodile (Gary isn't expecting his Scizor to lose here and fails to switch in time)
2: Blastoise vs Totodile (Totodile gets battered around and Ash pulls it out barely hanging in)
3: Blastoise vs Pikachu (Gary nope out of this)
4: Exeggutor vs Pikachu (Pikachu gets tossed around a bit and Ash calls him back)
5: Exeggutor vs Cyndaquil (nothing surprising)
6: Blastoise vs Cyndaquil
7: Blastoise vs Bayleef (you spot the pattern--Gary is making sure his starter doesn't fight anything strong against it)
8: Tyranitar vs Bayleef (she gets some good hits in, but Tyranitar is too powerful)
9: Tyranitar vs Totodile (Ash hopes the type advantage will be enough to clinch it, but Totodile is too tired and Tyranitar too beastly)
Halftime called
10: Umbreon vs Pikachu (manages to get things tied up)
11: Tyranitar vs Pikachu (gets a good hit in though)
12: Tyranitar vs Heracross (4X type advantage means a lot)
13: Blastoise vs Heracross (can't get in range and Hydro Pump drops them)
14: Arcanine vs Charizard (of course)
15: Blastoise vs Charizard (no major change)

I reversed the original so a couple of Gary's do the heavy lifting for his team; my thought is that since Ash's Pokémon are the ones who are actual characters they deserve to be the ones with better representation.
I didn't like Bayleef being the "fall guy" but I think having her force Gary's ace to withdraw helps a bit and she did get a two in one Gym Battle win earlier. I couldn't use Charizard since he had to give Ash this win as payoff for his training, and I figure Pikachu should have beat Umbreon (and Gary in general) at some point.
Two corrections.
1. Gary was never in HG/SS. That was Blue. Gary is just Blue's anime counterpart like how Ash is Red's counterpart.
2. Blue has used Tyranitar before HG/SS as he used one in his FR/LG rematch team.

Iris loses should be rewriten to a crushing loses. All here epizodes are awful like her face. Losing to a horrible one such as cameron should bs rewriten to win 5-0. Losing to irisatches are horrible and awful. Losing bianca to someone like cameron is awful. Allowing cameron to compete even of he been late in registering is jorrible and not funny

Back again with another couple of rewrites, one of which I'm hiding under spoilers due to it being an extremely recent battle.

First, Ash vs Trip. While I don't think their battle necessarily had to be a full 6v6, I still think it might have been interesting to see.

Ash's Team: Pikachu, Unfezant, Oshawott, Pignite, Snivy, Scraggy (basically the first to fill up his slots in Unova)

Trip's Team: Serperior, Unfezant, Jellicent, Conkeldurr, Vanilluxe, Chandelure (basically his team with every member fully evolved)

The Battle:
  • Ash's Unfezant vs Trip's Unfezant- Ash's Unfezant wins. Trip's Tranquill's gender was never confirmed, but I'm pretty confident that it was male to contrast Ash's. Pokedex entries state that female Unfezant are more skilled flyers than males, but Trip's Unfezant still makes the fight difficult, since Trip was aware of this limitation and compansated by teaching his Unfezant extremely powerful moves like Sky Attack and Hyper Beam so that he can still inflict great damage despite his inferior aerial mobility. But of course, Ash has plenty of experience when it comes to trumping power with speed (heck, it's basically his specialty), so his Unfezant still ends up winning thanks to this. It also doesn't hurt that Super Luck allows some of her attacks to match the power of Trip's Unfezant's blows. And that Hyper Beam and Sky Attack have heavy recharge penalties which Ash takes advantage of.
  • Ash's Unfezant vs Vanilluxe- Vanilluxe wins. Not a whole lot to say here; Unfezant's tired and has a type disadvantage. Not a lot she could do.
  • Pignite vs Vanilluxe- Pignite wins. Payback for that one time Vanilluxe tied with him back when they were on their base stages. Again, not a lot to say: Pignite is a lot stronger now than he was back then, so he wins pretty handily.
  • Pignite vs Jellicent- Pignite is recalled. Pignite does get in some hits for a bit, but they all deal extremely weak damage due to Jellicent's typing and bulk, and one of his moves gets disabled by Cursed Body, and all this on top of Jellicent's powerul Water attacks hurting Pignite badly, so Ash wisely decides to switch him out.
  • Snivy vs Jellicent- Snivy wins. Payback for when Frillish beat her. Knowing how tricky it is to get around Cursed Body, Ash's main strategy revolves around keeping Snivy at a distance while she repeatedly pelts Jellicent with Leaf Storms. Iris and Cilan wonder from the stands why he doesn't try to use Attract, but Ash is determined to win without resorting to that. Although Leaf Storm deals a lot of damage, Jellicent keeps himself alive through Recover. Eventually Jellicent's Cursed Body disables Leaf Storm, and Trip thinks he just got the opening he needed to use a Hex combo and calls for Jellicent to use Toxic. Much to his surprise, Ash's Snivy is able to deflect it with her Vine Whip, which actually sents the stream of poison flying back onto Jellicent, poisoning him and gradually undoing all the health recovery. Snivy then finishes Jellicent off with a powerful Leaf Blade.
  • Snivy vs Chandelure- Chandelure wins. Snivy's Leaf Storm is still out of commission, reducing her arsenal and removing the one way she could have blocked Chandelure's Flamethrower, and none of her other attacks deal a lot of damage here anyway, so the grass snake is taken out (though in classic Snivy fashion, she does last a surpsisingly long time).
  • Oshawott vs Chandelure- Oshawott wins. Chandelure does make things a bit difficult with Psychic, but Oshawott manages to power through.
  • Oshawott vs Conkeldurr- Conkeldurr wins. Payback from when Oshawott beat Timburr. This time Conkeldurr returns the favor by beating Oshawott relatively quickly and without taking any damage. Also, Trip's Conkeldurr literally never won any battles onscreen, so I thought I'd throw it a bone.
  • Pignite vs Conkeldurr- Conkeldurr wins. Giving Conkeldurr another win because why not. Pignite does put up a great fight and deals some good damage, but Conkeldurr just outclasses him.
  • Scraggy vs Conkeldurr- draw. I did think of letting Scraggy get a clean win here, but sadly I just don't see it as very believable even with Conkeldurr having fought two opponents in a row. Still, a tie is not bad, considering the huge opponent and the type disadnvatage.
  • Pikachu vs Serperior- Pikachu wins. That's right, I'm making Trip's ace the jobber here. Mostly because Serperior won pretty much all its battles in really contrived ways, so I don't think it deserves to win again, haha.
Next is the battle against Marnie, which should have been a 3v3:
  • Sirfetch'd vs Thievul- Sirfetch'd wins. This poor bird needs a bone throw after losing against Bea, so I'd give him one here. Ash recalls Sirfetch'd after he beats his opponent because he figures it's a good idea to preserve his Fighting-type against a Dark-type specialist.
  • Pikachu vs Morpeko- draw. To reference Morpeko essentially being to Marnie what Pikachu is to Ash, I think this would be the only appropriate result.
  • Sirfetch'd vs Grimmsnarl- Grimmsnarl wins. Those darn Fairies.
  • Gengar vs Grimmsnarl- Gengar wins. This essentially stays the same as how the actual battle went, the only difference being that at the end when Marnie tells Grimmsnarl to block Gengar's Shadow Ball with a boosted Stomping Tantrum, instead of Gengar's attack just magically brute-forcing its way through Grimmsnarl's, Ash just tells Gengar to fire off multiple Shadow Balls in quick succession, and the Shadow Ball barrage overwhelms the Stomping Tantrum, leading to Grimmsnarl's defeat.

Then it can go two ways:

Redid it
Noivern vs Tyranitar: Noivern wins
Hawlucha vs Bisharp: Bisharp wins
Talonflame vs Bisharp: Talonflame wins
Talonflame vs Charizard: Charizard wins
Goodra vs Charizard: Charizard wins but is heavily damaged. Although Goodra doesn’t get a KO it sets up
Ash-Greninja vs Mega-Charizard X: Ash-Greninja wins
So everyone gets a KO except for Goodra who gets a badass fight against Charizard

I’ll do a quick one for Ash vs Bea 3, starting from episode 86.
  • Lucario vs Machamp is same as usual
  • Sirfetch’d vs Machamp is the same
  • Sirfetch’d beats Hawlucha
  • Grapploct is sent out, beating Sirfetch’d
  • Pikachu battles Grapploct and gets the upper hand
  • Bea recalls Grapploct for Machamp
  • Machamp defeats Pikachu and Bea recalls it
  • Grapploct is sent out and Lucario sweeps as usual

I didn’t like how both Sirfetchd and Pikachu lost to the same opponents again. So here they both get redemption. Sirfetchd and Grapploct become the ones who cycle through the opponent’s full teams, which is fitting since they’re both gen 8 fighting types. The kanto mons (Pilachu and Machamp) also get to duke it out, giving Machamp a win as well to prove its power. Bea maintains her aggressive battle style and switches frequently when put at a disadvantage. Also now all of Ash’s pokemon play a role in defeating Grapploct, which is fitting since they all lost to it at some point.

The battle I would rewrite wouldn't realy change the outcome of the battle itself, but more of the aftermath.

The P1 Grand Prix final match: Hitmonlee vs Primeape.

I would have let TRio's electrical bom being effective (instead of Pikachu removing it before they could use it). This would have wounded Primeape severely. However, Primeape would still win the battle by going beyond his limitations and on willpower.

However, this would result in Primeape being heavily injured beyond the battle.

Now this could play out in 2 ways.

1) Anthony noticed this and offers Ash to help Primeape with the revalidation. Him being a fighting-type expert would be a great asset and it would be logical to leave Primeape with Anthony, more so than it did ik the real story.

2) Ash sends Primeape to Oak's lab to revalidate. By the time the Indigo League starts Ash uses Primeape in round 2 or 3 (which would be shown in full). However, even though it could battle again, it still has troubles after a while (simular to Tracy's Scyther). But not against Ritchie. He could have been battling TRio before the match, leaving him in a place to be unable to battle in the match, just like Pidgeotto. Since Ash didn't seem to have Kingler, Muk or Tauros on hand, there was an empty place in his party that could be filled up. All of this could have results in a future are were Primeape had to learn to not overdo himself anymore and to learn his new limits. And in teambattles it had to learn to relay on his teammates. He could finish of 1 opponent, however, 2 or 3 in a row are too much with his condition. Also, this would let me rewrite another battle. The 4th Gym battle at the Orange Islands. Instead of Pikachu, Primeape could be Charizards double partner in the match. Resulting in the final lesson: cooperation in a battle with a teammate.

This way, the anime could limit Ash having a Pokémon that was too strong too early in his journey, without having to write Primeape out of the story completely.

Ash vs Bea

I wouldn't let Pikachu participate at all and let the first match-up be Grapploct vs Dracovish. Grapploct gets recalled. Machamp knows T-Punch, so is sent in and defeats Dracovish. Lucario comes in, thrashes Machamp, leading to Machamp being recalled. Grapploct forces Lucario being recalled. Sirfetch'd defeats Grapploct and battles Hawlucha to a draw. Lucario defeats Machamp.

It's been a while since I've done one of these, and now I'm back again with a rewrite of Leon vs Alain. I know that part of the reason the battle went the way it did is because of a lack of time but in this rewrite the battle would've been split into two episodes, with Rillaboom vs Chesnaught fight happening at the end of one episode and then the rest of the battle happening in the next one. Anyway, the battle would go like this in my version:
  • Rillaboom vs Chesnaught- Rillaboom wins. The battle begins with both Alain and Leon calling for Hammer Arm. Rillaboom and Chesnaught rush at and strike each other with incredible force, and at first it looks evenly matched. However, Chesnaught eventually forces Rillaboom backwards, winning the clash by a sliver (sidenote: this is a nod to STAB). Leon responds by telling Rillaboom to use Drum Beating, but Chesnaught blocks it with Spiky Shield and then retaliates with Pin Missile, which hits Rillaboom hard. Alain then tells Chesnaught to use Gyro Ball, but Leon has Rillaboom blast the Spiny Armor Pokemon away with Boomburst followed by another use of Drum Beating, which lands a successful hit this time due to Chesnaught being too dazed from Boomburst to shield itself. Chesnaught is tough, however, and it gets back on its feet. Alain calls for another Hammer Arm and Leon does the same, which suprises Goh and Hop in the stands, as Chesnaught had already proven capable of overpowering Rillaboom in a Hammer Arm clash. Ash, however, immediately realizes that it's a feint, and he's right: just as the two Pokemon clash once again, Leon tells Rillaboom to change his attack and use Acrobatics, which strikes Chesnaught extremely hard due to being at such close range, and that combined with the attack being 4x effective on the opponent proves enough to finally knock Chesnaught out. I really hope this still gives Chesnaught a good showing despite me removing Gigantamax Rillaboom from this round...
  • Rillaboom vs Charizard- both Pokemon use their respective gimmicks, and Mega Charizard X wins. Alain sends out his Charizard, and in response Leon immediately recalls Rillaboom into its Pokeball, which at first everyone assumes is a sensible switching out. But it isn't. Yes, Leon chooses to Gigantamax Rillaboom right here. Alain is unfazed and Mega Evolves his Charizard on the spot, and then calls for it to use Flare Blitz, which Leon has G-Max Rillaboom block it with G-Max Drum Solo, but unfortunately M-Charizard X proves too tough and powers through the vines, landing a massive hit on G-Max Rillaboom. Alain then calls for Dragon Claw, but Leon has G-Max Rillaboom blow M-Charizard X with a Max Airstream, which sends the edgy dragon crasing into the ground. Leon then calls for Rillaboom to use with Max Strike, but Alain quickly responds by telling M-Charizard X to counter with BURASTO BAAN. Sure enough, the infamous Greninja-slaying move overpowers Max Strike and lands a devastating hit on G-Max Rillaboom, finally taking it down. Alain decides to recall his Mega Charizard X, as he knows he's going to need it later. From the stands, Hop cries at the fact that one of his big bro's Pokemon was taken out, which surprises Goh a bit.
  • Dragapult vs Malamar- draw. Leon sends out Dragapult and Alain sends out Malamar, which the other Masters 8 members find an interesting matchup as Malamar's Dark/Psychic-typing allows it to hit Dragapult super-effectively, but gives it no real protection against Dragapult's Ghost and Dragon-type attacks. Alain makes the first strike by calling for a Throat Chop, but Leon's Dragapult dodges it effortlesly and then quickly dissappears, making Malamar nervous. As the squid Pokemon tries to locate its foe, Dragapult reemerges right behind it and strikes it to the ground with its powerful tail. From the stands, Hop excitedly cheers, claiming that no opponent has ever been able to doge his big bro's Dragapult's Phantom Force. Back in the battle, Malamar manages to get up and goes for Psycho Cut, but once again Dragapult is just too fast and dodges before landing yet another strong hit, this time with Dragon Rush. Leon then tells Dragapult to use Flamethrower, but before Malamar can be turned into an appetizer, Alain tells it to ride the flames so it can get in for a close strike. Malamar does exactly that and then hits Dragapult with a close-range Hypnosis, which makes Dragapult drowzy. Now that Dragapult's movements have been compromised, Alain tells Malamar to use this opportunity to strike with as many Throat Chops as it can. Dragapult takes significant damage and the attacks make it awake again, but although it's visibly damaged, it still isn't down. Alain silently laments not being able to take advantage of Malamar's Contrary Ability due to Dragapult being immune to Superpower, as if he'd been able to get a boost he might have won the round already. Still, now that Dragapult has been weakened, it might not be able to dodge as well as before, so might as well use the cards he's been dealt; Alain tells Malamar to use Psycho Cut, and Leon, relizing that Dragapult is too tired to dodge, calls for it to counter with a long-ranged attack of its own, in this case Dragon Darts. However, the two attacks end up grazing past each other and hit their respective targets right on, causing a double knockout.
  • Charizard vs Mega Charizard X- Charizard wins. Now that both trainers are down to their last Pokemon, they call for their respective signature Charizards. Ash is intrigued, since he's fought Alain's M-Charizard X before and knows firsthand just how amazingly tough it is. Furtheremore, Leon has already used up his gimmick on Rillaboom, so Leon's Charizard appears to be at a disadvantage. Hop, however, is unfazed and tells Ash that Leon's Charizard is the best and that it will win, just wait and see. Leon calls for his Charizard to use Air Slash, which Alain has M-Charizard X parry with Dragon Claw, which only mostly works, as some of the Air Slashes still do land their mark. Alain then has M-Charizard X use Flare Blitz, but to everyone's surprise, Leon's Charizard is able to stop it dead in its tracks with its bare hands, albeit with visible difficulty. Seizing his chance, Leon tells Charizard to go for a Dragon Pulse, which deals massive damage due to being a point-blank hit. M-Charizard X crashes to the ground, but is still not defeated, so it manages to get back on its feet. Alain tells M-Charizard X to use its famous BURASTO BAAN once again. However, Leon's Charizard counters with a Fire-type attack of its own: Fire Blast, which although less powerful is still strong enough to cause BURASTO BAAN to literally burn itself out. Unfortunately, the collision of Fire attacks does cause a huge explosion, which Alain and M-Charizard X take advantage of to get close and land a super-effective Thunder Punch on Leon's Charizard. Alain then tells his Pokemon to follow up with Dragon Claw, but Leon's Charizard manages to recover and retaliate with Ancient Power, which hits M-Charizard X hard. Leon's Charizard then finishes its opponent with one last Dragon Pulse, giving Leon the win and leaving his undefeated record intact.
And there you have it! Let me know what you think.

Back
Top Bottom