• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Do you like fakes/leaks season?

• I love it!

Votes: 227 52.2%
  • Yeah

Votes: 81 18.6%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 76 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters
The page only says the main title is "3DS RPG." It's within the realm of possibility that GameFreak is working on another RPG project. They make several games besides Pokemon. Besides, even if a new Pokemon game were to release on 3DS next year, this is a tad late for an employee search. Their development cycles usually tend to be 2-3 years, and this is only 1 year in advance. They would've been working on the next Pokemon game since December 2016 at the latest. And as @godiego said, it could just be a repetitive form for all we know. Hiring in mid-2017 for a game that could only be, at most, a year-ish away, also considering that 2015 was already a break year AND that GF kinda needs to move onto the Switch soon (like, releasing a Switch game in 2018--hell, a lot of people expected 2017 and that probably isn't happening) or face a bit of a mess. Plus, Nintendo's 2017 sales projection for the 3DS/2DS and its software makes very little sense if Pokemon isn't on the list.

That being said, it's technically possible...though I highly doubt it.
2017-break
2018-last 3DS game (my guess is Kanto)
2019-Gen VIII
2020-DP remakes

Last edited:
Also, let's compare the hirings for the Switch and the 3DS.
3DS Hiring for a RPG bla bla bla
Switch Hiring for a well-known/famous world famous RPG. EDIT: the exact wording is 'world famous' and not 'well-known/famous'.

See the difference for yourself.
(Also, IDK if they need someone so late in the game's cycle. They know the engine well enough to survive without one person, I'd think)

Last edited:
Also, let's compare the hirings for the Switch and the 3DS.
3DS "Hiring for a RPG bla bla bla"
Switch "Hiring for a well-known/famous RPG"

It really reads like that? Definitely means something. Mind linking it pls?

Like I said, it might not even be Pokemon.

(Also, IDK if they need someone so late in the game's cycle. They know the engine well enough to survive without one person, I'd think)

Yeah, that too. It seems really weird to be looking for new people now of all times when they should be perfectly fine with the engine and their current team, plus being so late in the game's development cycle.

Also, have we all forgotten about their previous job listings?? They already had job listings for the Switch which mentioned a "world famous RPG." Not only is it different language than this new one, but it also adds to the list of why this new listing being Pokemon 3DS makes zero sense no matter how you write it.

Last edited:
It really reads like that? Definitely means something. Mind linking it pls?
That was what I remembered from the top of my head. Shouldn't have put a quotation mark there, my bad. But, you answered it later.
Also, have we all forgotten about their previous job listings?? They already had job listings for the Switch which mentioned a "world famous RPG." Not only is it different language than this new one, but it also adds to the list of why this new listing being Pokemon 3DS makes zero sense no matter how you write it.
This was the listing I talked about.

It might sound like borderline nitpicking, but gamefreak makes many games, but only one is world famous in (almost) literal sense- Pokemon.[/QUOTE]

I smell desperation...

1. The 3DS RPG could certainly be released by March 2018. That would contribute to Nintendo's 3DS projections for the current fiscal year... Most of the sales are usually attributed to the first month since release.

2. The Switch doesn't need Stars to meet Nintendo's sales expectations. Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey are a big deal, and Nintendo's expectations are hardly very high (35 million compared to 40 million for the 3DS).

3. Game Freak aren't going to make a non-Pokemon RPG, lol. Their other games are small in scope and the last one wasn't on any Nintendo platform.

4. There is no reason to assume that they're actually looking for a Switch programmer... There is a separate listing for that!

5. By your logic, their hiring people for the Switch just recently renders Stars unlikely for this year.

6. Their 3DS project could easily be in its last stage, with the company preferring to allocate the experienced staff to the Generation VIII project. The new programmer(s) would just finish the 3DS project, and possibly be kept around for the Switch era.

Last edited:
It could very well just be a different game. Just because they don't have another RPG game right now, doesn't mean they aren't be working on one. If Stars is real, then it's probably mostly finished by now which gives them room to start focusing on another game they have in the works already. Not saying this is true, just that it is a possibility and we still shouldn't all be screaming 'break year' already before anything is actually confirmed ^^;

It could very well just be a different game. Just because they don't have another RPG game right now, doesn't mean they aren't be working on one. If Stars is real, then it's probably mostly finished by now which gives them room to start focusing on another game they have in the works already. Not saying this is true, just that it is a possibility and we still shouldn't all be screaming 'break year' already before anything is actually confirmed ^^;
GF are just hiring programmers for 3ds on the next pokemon game, how will they get that done before the end of 2017, I don't know how it'll be done, it would be better if the pull it back till early 2018. Think about it we haven't gotten any announcement lately, which is a reason everybody's assuming it'll be a break year. Also wouldn't that debunk the whole project "stars" since the nexr pokemon will be on 3ds anyway?

GF are just hiring programmers for 3ds on the next pokemon game, how will they get that done before the end of 2017, I don't know how it'll be done, it would be better if the pull it back till early 2018. Think about it we haven't gotten any announcement lately, which is a reason everybody's assuming it'll be a break year. Also wouldn't that debunk the whole project "stars" since the nexr pokemon will be on 3ds anyway?

No, they're hiring someone for a 3DS RPG. The opening says nothing about it being specifically Pokémon. It could be Pokémon, but it could also be another RPG game they're working on, we have no idea what other potential games they're working on.

The game being Pokémon is not a fact yet, so a break year is also not a fact yet. Maybe it's likely, but still doesn't mean we should start assuming things before we know the actual facts.

i'm not sure why hiring is indicative of anything other than Game Freak hiring. let's not forget that in what, March? April?, they were hiring a 3D modeler on the Wii U-PSP Vita level. that's clearly not materialized into anything. let's also not forget that that posting explicitly said that there would be a chance to work on Pokemon, rather than this wishy-washy "3DS RPG" this posting is referring to.

Last edited:
i'm not sure why hiring is indicative of anything other than Game Freak hiring. let's not forget that in what, March? April?, they were hiring a 3D modeler on the Wii U-PSP Vita level. that's clearly not materialized into anything. let's also not forget that that posting explicitly said that there would be a chance to work on Pokemon, rather than this wishy-washy "3DS RPG" this posting is referring to.
Well that doesn't explicitly state Pokemon, just that they would be involved in the development of a worldwide popular RPG that has been released for a long time. That definitely fits the description of Pokemon, but it has not been stated. Also, the 3DS hiring position says something to the effect of "we want hire additional workers to expand our business." It is probably Pokemon as that is their only rpg on the 3ds to my knowledge, but we cannot be sure of that. Also, bare in mind that it seems that worker, a 3D modeler (I think), is needed as an additional worker. That implies that they have done some degree of work, if even just planning, so that they are aware that extra hands are necessary.

I smell desperation...

1. The 3DS RPG could certainly be released by March 2018. That would contribute to Nintendo's 3DS projections for the current fiscal year... Most of the sales are usually attributed to the first month since release.

Valid.

2. The Switch doesn't need Stars to meet Nintendo's sales expectations. Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey are a big deal, and Nintendo's expectations are hardly very high (35 million compared to 40 million for the 3DS).

I don't believe I ever disagreed with this... I was speaking purely 3DS sales. I wasn't even considering Switch, at that moment.

3. Game Freak aren't going to make a non-Pokemon RPG, lol. Their other games are small in scope and the last one wasn't on any Nintendo platform.

@Soki already covered this, but I will reiterate: you are making a baseless assumption here that could easily be false. They could make another, smaller RPG not related to Pokemon. It might not mean anything, but in previous listings, they referred to what we believe is Pokemon as a "world famous RPG" or something along those lines. The qualifier is missing in this new ad.

4. There is no reason to assume that they're actually looking for a Switch programmer... There is a separate listing for that!

Never claimed they were. Unless this is directed at somebody else who I missed.

5. By your logic, their hiring people for the Switch just recently renders Stars unlikely for this year.

No... actually that doesn't make any sense. A new game for the Switch would obviously take longer to develop and take more people. Of course they could hire people to work on the Switch game while a portion of GF sticks with the 3DS project "Stars." They could release one after the other (year-wise) specifically by utilizing different teams of people, which we already know they have done in the past.

6. Their 3DS project could easily be in its last stage, with the company preferring to allocate the experienced staff to the Generation VIII project. The new programmer(s) would just finish the 3DS project, and possibly be kept around for the Switch era.

Uh, yes. That's correct. But that doesn't mean anything with regards to when they'd be released. I'm not arguing against a 3DS game nor a Switch game. I simply don't believe 2017 will be a break year. I think we will get a 3DS Pokemon game this year, a Switch Pokemon game in 2018, and that the job listing is not necessarily Pokemon related.

Also, the 3DS hiring position says something to the effect of "we want hire additional workers to expand our business." It is probably Pokemon as that is their only rpg on the 3ds to my knowledge, but we cannot be sure of that. Also, bare in mind that it seems that worker, a 3D modeler (I think), is needed as an additional worker. That implies that they have done some degree of work, if even just planning, so that they are aware that extra hands are necessary.

If they want to expand their business, doesn't it make more sense that it's for a different game? You don't expand someone's business by working on a franchise that has already existed for a long time, right? :p

Exactly. This whole issue seems almost surely irrelevant. It's probably a different game.

lol

They were hiring people with Wii U and Vita experience because they could easily adapt to the Switch. This makes sense if they recently started working on the next generation.

"3DS RPG" is not wishy-washy. Talk about delusional.

And? The point was that ultimately nothing has become of that job posting. It's pretty clear that we're not likely getting a Switch game right now, let alone a game this year at all. Considering that what looks to be the same posting on GameFreak's website doesn't even mention working on a 3DS rpg, on top of Game Freak not being shy about saying that applicants would probably work for Pokemon (re: "best selling titles/brand," etc), just throwing out 3DS rpg seems a bit off.

I'll take delusional though.

It's pretty clear that we're not likely getting a Switch game right now, let alone a game this year at all.
Now we're getting somewhere. So the Eurogamer rumor loses all credibility.

Considering that what looks to be the same posting on GameFreak's website doesn't even mention working on a 3DS rpg,
Link?

Back
Top Bottom