• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP46: Facing the Needs of the Many!

Muur

Unregistered User
Reaction score
XY139 - Bulbapedia, the community-drive Pokemon encyclopedia

Please keep future events in spoiler tags

Weird that so many episodes are out early. Anyway I've seen this now, so here's the topic for it.

They sure did get rid of Goodra quickly...

Ooh Neo Team Flare. I wonder if that's one of the evil Malamar from like 100 episodes ago in which nothing ever came of them? probably not but would've been a nice thing to bring back.

Also why does Ash suddenly have super powers

Be awkward if they missed that jump and died and damn Serena sure is strong to be able to lift both Ash and Bonnie in the air like that.

Was pretty obvious he faked it lmao.

I'm interested in what Xerosix's plan was after jumping off that helicopter. Clemont probably just saved his life...

There goes Greninja. It would sure suck if he could only see the negative energy when in the Ash Greninja form. Then the world would be doomed and we will never get to enjoy the cuteness of Lille next season. Not for long, at least. Ash wasn't shown officially releasing it, so I'm counting it as still Ash owned. Same with Goodra.

I feel like that this should've been over a few episodes. One for Goodra - not 30 seconds - then two/three for all this stuff that happened in this episode.

At this rate I'm really hoping we get through with XYZ by end of next month, should all this leaked episodes keep up. Anyway, this was 70/100 for me, I liked that Xerosic was going to build a Team Neo Flare after the whole madness at Lumiose city and that Greninja and the Zygardes are going to clean up the rest of Kalos. What I didn't like was that Goodra being released so randomly at the beginning of the episode and we just leave... what the heck?:confused: I also didn't like in how weird that Xerosic was going to use Clemont of all people to be a part of his plan, even though what about Ash-Greninja and also random TR from nowhere. I did like however that "Stand Tall" was used as an insert song for the scene in which Ash and everyone jumps to the ship and Greninja grabs them nice touch(y). Now for Greninja's departure I don't mind this because he's going to go finish the job and really get the world back in order and for this being a release, it kinda doesn't feel like it cuz to me it sounds like he's going to be gone a while and then come back to Ash when things are straight again. Bonnie, hopefully Zygarde comes back because she really deserves to be a trainer after all this time and soon the finale will be here and I will be crying tears when this is all over for 2017:(

Just going to comment on my thoughts on the dub in spoilers, and the episode beforehand, so as not to offend anyone who likes the dub with my thoughts on things here.

Episode:

It's an average one, but Goodra's departure is far too rushed to leave any emotional impact, unlike Greninja's which was good later in the episode.

The whole Xerosic possessing Clemont thing is a little creepy as well, though at least Ash & co. end up beating him, so there's that.

Team Rocket don't really do much of anything in this one of note, so really, what's the point of them being here?

Voice Acting (I don't have good things to say, so don't click on this if you don't want to read that):
- Talonflame and Noivern's dub voices...are not fitting to me. Talonflame sounds too raspy, and Noivern sounds like it's vomiting or a Vampire-like parody.

- Goodra's dub voice is...strange. Not quite as unbearable as the one it had under Wayland's tenure, but it still has too much of a Barney like feeling to it.

- Greninja's dub voice sounds too much like Stitch from Lilo & Stitch for comfort to me, so it makes it hard to take it seriously in battles, but thankfully it didn't make silly noises during the parting scene so it's OK in the end, I guess.

- Sarah's line delivery as Ash was really forced and awkward when she said "Could Team Flare be doing all this?" It sounds very strained and unnatural. Also, her current take just sounds like a woman doing a really deep voice to me, rather than a boy, but that's just me.

- Xerosic's evil laugh in the dub is...extraordinarily bad...it's more like the actor is putting on a voice rather than doing the performance naturally.

- Rosenfeld's Bonnie often has this really nasally and forced tone to it to me- just sounds forced.

- Jessie's dub voice is too screechy and lispy at times for comfort, James' dub voice makes him sound like he's a goofy person who likes to shout & has a really bad cold, and Meowth's dub voice is very gravelly, deep, and raspy, so I still don't care for TRio in the dub in this aspect.

- There is, however, one thing I will give the dub over the Japanese Version, and that is I think Billy Bob Thompson's performance as Squishy is less high pitched and forced than Yuki Kaji's in the Original, so kudos to him for that.

- Clemont's dub voice is hit-or-miss for me: he actually sounded decent when possessed, but otherwise, he sounds like he's suffering from asthma attacks and struggling to breathe at times, while Serena's dub voice makes her sound a bit too old and like a young woman than a 10 year old girl to me.

Script Writing/Dialogue (See above- don't click this if you don't want to read negative thoughts):
- I dislike how mean-spirited dub Ash comes across in the dub as of late, and this episode has some good examples of that.

For example, when Ash tells his Greninja that, "You can catch up to them, DO IT!" the way I'm typing it- in the Japanese Version, he said, "You can chase it. I'm counting on you!" instead in a really nice, rather than forcefully aggressive, way instead.

Another example is when Ash says, "I'm going. Kay, with me?" in the dub where in the Japanese Version he actually says, "It's all or nothing, I'm going to try! Are you with me, Pikachu?" instead, and then after this, dub Ash talks down to Bonnie saying, "Alright. Make sure you do what I say!" when in the Japanese Version, he says, "Yeah, trust me on this one!"

But perhaps the most notable example to me is the farewell scene where dub Ash says "This is what'cha gotta do" to Greninja, when in fact, in the Japanese Version he said, "It's up for you to DECIDE what you'd like to do" instead to him- it sounds like he's forcing Greninja to leave in the dub.

- The same can be said of dub Meowth, whose dialogue has "Now here dis" and "Capiche" added to it when talking about flying a helicopter because...I guess that makes him sound cooler to Zoppi? I think it makes him sound meaner than he actually is, personally.

- Dub James insulting Meowth calling him "You twit" when he did no such thing to him in the Japanese Version also rubs me the wrong way- insulting your teammates isn't pleasant to me.

- Dub Jessie insulting James in turn by saying "I'm the genius here" when James claims he is (in the dub only, again), and dub Meowth calling both his teammates "Lugs" also irritates me.

Music (See above):
The dub only kept 3 themes from the Japanese Version, meaning the title card jingle (of course), Clemont's invention theme, and the ending theme, but the rest is all dub music- some of it is extraordinarily unfitting to me, namely this techno-rock jingle when Greninja leaves Ash, and the Looney Tunes like jingle when Xerosic battles with Ash outside of his fortress early on- the only piece of dub music I liked was the one when they were travelling in the forest and Serena mentions the airport, honestly, it was alright.

Last edited:
Sigh, music's been replaced again. It's like Mr Goldfarb is going out of his way to make XY the worst dub in terms of music. Other than that nothing special about this episode, Greninja's release is still forced beyond all belief.

Just going to comment on my thoughts on the dub in spoilers, and the episode beforehand, so as not to offend anyone who likes the dub with my thoughts on things here.

Episode:

It's an average one, but Goodra's departure is far too rushed to leave any emotional impact, unlike Greninja's which was good later in the episode.

The whole Xerosic possessing Clemont thing is a little creepy as well, though at least Ash & co. end up beating him, so there's that.

Team Rocket don't really do much of anything in this one of note, so really, what's the point of them being here?

Voice Acting (I don't have good things to say, so don't click on this if you don't want to read that):
- Talonflame and Noivern's dub voices...are not fitting to me. Talonflame sounds too raspy, and Noivern sounds like it's vomiting or a Vampire-like parody.

- Goodra's dub voice is...strange. Not quite as unbearable as the one it had under Wayland's tenure, but it still has too much of a Barney like feeling to it.

- Greninja's dub voice sounds too much like Stitch from Lilo & Stitch for comfort to me, so it makes it hard to take it seriously in battles, but thankfully it didn't make silly noises during the parting scene so it's OK in the end, I guess.

- Sarah's line delivery as Ash was really forced and awkward when she said "Could Team Flare be doing all this?" It sounds very strained and unnatural. Also, her current take just sounds like a woman doing a really deep voice to me, rather than a boy, but that's just me.

- Xerosic's evil laugh in the dub is...extraordinarily bad...it's more like the actor is putting on a voice rather than doing the performance naturally.

- Rosenfeld's Bonnie often has this really nasally and forced tone to it to me- just sounds forced.

- Jessie's dub voice is too screechy and lispy at times for comfort, James' dub voice makes him sound like he's a goofy person who likes to shout & has a really bad cold, and Meowth's dub voice is very gravelly, deep, and raspy, so I still don't care for TRio in the dub in this aspect.

- There is, however, one thing I will give the dub over the Japanese Version, and that is I think Billy Bob Thompson's performance as Squishy is less high pitched and forced than Yuki Kaji's in the Original, so kudos to him for that.

- Clemont's dub voice is hit-or-miss for me: he actually sounded decent when possessed, but otherwise, he sounds like he's suffering from asthma attacks and struggling to breathe at times, while Serena's dub voice makes her sound a bit too old and like a young woman than a 10 year old girl to me.

Script Writing/Dialogue (See above- don't click this if you don't want to read negative thoughts):
- I dislike how mean-spirited dub Ash comes across in the dub as of late, and this episode has some good examples of that.

For example, when Ash tells his Greninja that, "You can catch up to them, DO IT!" the way I'm typing it- in the Japanese Version, he said, "You can chase it. I'm counting on you!" instead in a really nice, rather than forcefully aggressive, way instead.

Another example is when Ash says, "I'm going. Kay, with me?" in the dub where in the Japanese Version he actually says, "It's all or nothing, I'm going to try! Are you with me, Pikachu?" instead, and then after this, dub Ash talks down to Bonnie saying, "Alright. Make sure you do what I say!" when in the Japanese Version, he says, "Yeah, trust me on this one!"

But perhaps the most notable example to me is the farewell scene where dub Ash says "This is what'cha gotta do" to Greninja, when in fact, in the Japanese Version he said, "It's up for you to DECIDE what you'd like to do" instead to him- it sounds like he's forcing Greninja to leave in the dub.

- The same can be said of dub Meowth, whose dialogue has "Now here dis" and "Capiche" added to it when talking about flying a helicopter because...I guess that makes him sound cooler to Zoppi? I think it makes him sound meaner than he actually is, personally.

- Dub James insulting Meowth calling him "You twit" when he did no such thing to him in the Japanese Version also rubs me the wrong way- insulting your teammates isn't pleasant to me.

- Dub Jessie insulting James in turn by saying "I'm the genius here" when James claims he is (in the dub only, again), and dub Meowth calling both his teammates "Lugs" also irritates me.

Music (See above):
The dub only kept 3 themes from the Japanese Version, meaning the title card jingle (of course), Clemont's invention theme, and the ending theme, but the rest is all dub music- some of it is extraordinarily unfitting to me, namely this techno-rock jingle when Greninja leaves Ash, and the Looney Tunes like jingle when Xerosic battles with Ash outside of his fortress early on- the only piece of dub music I liked was the one when they were travelling in the forest and Serena mentions the airport, honestly, it was alright.

I usually hate when people come in just to shit on the dub but at least you're doing it in a nice respectful calming way and have it in spoilers, so kudos man. Anyway for the Bonnie one, her voice actress has that in other shows (Yugioh at least) so it's just her naturally unless she is like that for everything

Wow Bonnie sure is going to be quite the beginning trainer with Zygarde. If she can convince Z2 to come along too she might be able to be the new Tobias of Kalos and win all her badges with her Zygarde only, although Dedenne can set up some nuzzles on fast opponents to pitch in.

I'm interested in what Xerosix's plan was after jumping off that helicopter. Clemont probably just saved his life...
Apparently Team Flare can just jump from extreme heights and be okay, are we even sure Lysandre is dead?

I do think getting rid of Greninja was kind of a lame excuse, but they had to do something, because leaving Greninja at the lab would have seemed pretty crazy considering their great bond and Greninja's desire to get better (although they finally left Charizard at the lab). I think they could have probably come up with something better than "for some reason only you can see this thing and no one else can help", but at least Greninja is doing something rather than being forgotten for the rest of time at the lab. I still think there is a chance we might see Greninja again, but maybe not since S&M has a real BW reset feel to it (but that could mean they try to grab some nostalgia at the end again when they get the backlash and, of course, Ash-Greninja is a part of SM games).

Speaking of the games, Xerosic collecting Zygarde cells in a cube, hmmm. Makes me kind of feel bad now for doing that in Sun after this episode.

This episode was alright overall, I just wish this series had another year...

I hope this isn't the last we see of goodra and greninja despite what bulbapedia saids that it's release some website still consider it still in ash's possession which he can use for major battles like charizard​

Wow Bonnie sure is going to be quite the beginning trainer with Zygarde. If she can convince Z2 to come along too she might be able to be the new Tobias of Kalos and win all her badges with her Zygarde only, although Dedenne can set up some nuzzles on fast opponents to pitch in.

Apparently Team Flare can just jump from extreme heights and be okay, are we even sure Lysandre is dead?

I do think getting rid of Greninja was kind of a lame excuse, but they had to do something, because leaving Greninja at the lab would have seemed pretty crazy considering their great bond and Greninja's desire to get better (although they finally left Charizard at the lab). I think they could have probably come up with something better than "for some reason only you can see this thing and no one else can help", but at least Greninja is doing something rather than being forgotten for the rest of time at the lab. I still think there is a chance we might see Greninja again, but maybe not since S&M has a real BW reset feel to it (but that could mean they try to grab some nostalgia at the end again when they get the backlash and, of course, Ash-Greninja is a part of SM games).

Speaking of the games, Xerosic collecting Zygarde cells in a cube, hmmm. Makes me kind of feel bad now for doing that in Sun after this episode.

This episode was alright overall, I just wish this series had another year...
I don't think Bonnie will be another Tobias. Ash and his friends must always lose according to the writers

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

It was a decent episode imo. I was just so salty about greninja being released but I actually watched the episode and my salt was gone. There is a reason for the release much better than being Oak'd. Some folks here said that there was no reason and it was forced. It wasn't forced imho. They started the episode showing that power of greninja. It isn't possessed by Zygarde. The reason is actually good. The goodbye was actually marvelous unlike some people here said when it aired in Japan.
8.5/10

Goodra was quickly written off, must be because it's a Pseudo-Legendary.
I fear Fear Greninja would get the Pidgeot treatment.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hm. Lots of mixed emotions with this one.

The first one is anger unfortunately. I'm sorry, but Goodra's release was pathetic. This is probably the last time we're ever going to see him and that rushed, less than a minute farewell scene was a horrible last note to remember him by. Dedenne and Goodra himself literally seemed to be the only one truly sad about saying goodbye, while the others didn't really seem to give a damn. I mean, I get that they didn't spend that much time together, but c'mon can there be a bit more emotion? The first release had more time and emotions put into it and it was probably already planned that Goodra would return. At the very least, I did like that Ash sent out his other team members to see Goodra off. But other than that, this left a really bad taste in my mouth...

Sorry for the mini rant. Moving on, seems like the vines are still alive. It was interesting to see that Greninja had the ability to sense them from within his PokeBall. I have to say, that was probably the least epic Ash-Greninja transformation ever. Which sucks since its possibly the last time we'll ever see it. I liked the method in which Clemont was kidnapped, with Xerosic just having Malamar pull him over with no warning.

I sort of liked Greninja following Xerosic by himself, like he was on a solo mission. Though part of me didn't like how distant he was from the group for most of the episode. But, I thought Xerosic was supposed to be some super genius. Why was he spamming Greninja with psychic attacks:/

Okay, Clemont is amazing. Seriously, I know I sometimes laugh at his little "I knew we'd face a situation like this" type of random inventions, but this was awesome. He straight up stopped himself from being brain washed. As a bonus, I thought it was really cute the way he asked to clean his glasses to but the device on them:) It's official, Clemont is my favorite male companion and one of my all time favorite characters overall. Geez, was Xerosic trying to avoid jail time by suicide? I was actually surprised that Clemont caught him. I thought they'd just let him fall.

Squishy returning is not something I would have expected. After his and Bonnie's super great farewell, its a bit odd to see him re-appear, and so soon. I enjoyed his moment with Bonnie once again. Now, I feel a lot of different ways about Greninja's release. I hate Greninja as a species, but it is sad to see Ash say goodbye to his only fully evolved water-type starter, especially when they had such a deep bond. But on the other hand, Greninja's story has been so good. He started out as a stubborn little Froakie who was an outcast among other members of his species and didn't get along well with his previous trainers. Now he's fully evolved with a special transformation that's only been seen once in thousands of years and is acting a the protector of an entire region with a Legendary Pokemon. Absolutely no Pokemon has had that much growth and development, so I can't feel upset about this release. If anything I'm happy for Greninja and the progress he's made. I was also happy to see Ash shed some tears and that once again he sent out his team to say goodbye to Greninja. But lastly,what the hell happened to Talonflame's badass voice that he had in Wulfric's gym and the league? He sounds like a regular old boring bird again:/

I'll give this a 9/10. Greninja's goodbye was very well done as were Clemont and Bonnie's moments, but I just can't forgive that pitiful release for Goodra. Props for releasing 2 Pokemon in one episode though.

I'm sorry, but Goodra's release was pathetic. This is probably the last time we're ever going to see him and that rushed, less than a minute farewell scene was a horrible last note to remember him by. Dedenne and Goodra himself literally seemed to be the only one truly sad about saying goodbye,

Goodra already had a release/goodbye episode.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DsxRjc97ZWU

This episode was pretty moving to say the least, though The Right Hero for the Right Job! still beats it in my opinion.

Okay, don't hate me please, but I am actually glad that Goodra was released in this episode. I was never a fan of Goodra returning to Ash like it did, after it had been released nearly 50 episodes back. I mean, it defeats the purpose of making us cry back in the two-parter episodes, doesn't it? That's not to say that I hate Goodra; I actually loved seeing it on-screen, though I would have actually preferred it to not be this way.

I was actually surprised to see that the vines were still rampaging. :eek: I was like: WHAT? WHY? Does that mean the Kalos region is still under threat? Is Lumiose City still under threat? Are we coming full circle on this one?

Xerosic kidnapping Clemont like that, was cool. That dude means business or maybe not. And, even cooler was the fact that, Clemont put his device to negate the control beam the way he did. Just plain AWESOME! Though honestly, I was wondering about how did he know that they were going to encounter Xerosic again. :confused:

MY HEART ACTUALLY SKIPPED A BEAT WHEN GRENINJA JUMPED IN FRONT OF THE AUTOMOBILE AND XEROSIC RAN OVER! WHAAATTTT?

Ash and the girls jumping off the cliff and Greninja rescuing them was just EPIC!

I don't know what Xerosic was thinking jumping off his plane-thingy like that!!!! :eek::eek:o_O. I mean being put in jail is better than being dead/being paralyzed and THEN being put in jail.

On second thoughts, he could be having some secret trick up his sleeve that we have no clue of.

Squishy and Z2 reuniting with the group was awesome. I love how the writers have been writing old characters into the story throughout the series, like with Goodra and Squishy, than just forgetting about their existence all along. Of course, I completely support Ash's decision of releasing his Greninja; rescuing the world is a more important task than being put at Oak's for all eternity accompanying Ash on his journey. The release was pretty moving, and I liked how they reiterated that their meeting was destined from the start. Ash crying at the release was absolutely AWWW-worthy, though I would have preferred if Greninja shed some tears as well, but eh...that's just me, I guess!

Squishy and Bonnie's goodbye was also cute as hell, and I would actually like to see Bonnie start out her journey with Squishy not that it will ever happen, but a boy can dream, can't he?

Greninja is one of the most fleshed out characters in the XY series and I don't think there could have been any better conclusion to its story. Hats off, writers! (y)(y)(y)(y):cool:

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom