• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP03: Loading the Dex!

aefjshtjkrfrjkg i can't get over that voice, like it's super unnecessary and I prefer the Japanese voice but it sounds more like some animal choking. Also props to TPCi for letting Team Rocket do a "Who's That Pokemon?", reminds me of XY when a different character would do the eyecatch every episode.

This dub still sucks but I'm starting to warm up to small bits of it ;-;

Welp after seeing most of this episode i can safely say that Billy Thompson never should've gotten the role of Mimikyu. Also i really hope that Ash aint gonna call Rotom Rotomdex all the time cause that really got on my nerves. Calling it that once is more then enough. Why he can't just call it Rotom like the Japanese do is beyond me. Also the Kanji removal in the motto is extreamly pathetic but we all know by now that DuArt just loves to waste money on pointless crap like that so.

The English Dub is online now, can't really send the link, but uploads are starting to appear.

Based on that small clip of Mimikyu's voice, my own personal opinion is that it is absolutely, unequivocally horrid.
The Japanese voice is 1,000x better.

Roto on the other hand, sounds pretty good. No complaints for that.

Hmm....not bad at all.

Honestly the Mimkyu non-vocals are pretty suitably creepy. A good way to keep insane mad 'mon in tack.

Amazed how much of Meowth near death was retained.

A pit of a bad place....did Japan have that clear of a hell reference?

Well, after seeing the whole episode...I'm very happy this is probably the last time I'm watching the English dub of the Anime again (for newer episodes), is all I'm going to say.

Putting my thoughts in spoilers so you guys don't have to read them, as they're negative (as usual).

Voice Acting:

I'll be blunt- I do not like a good majority of the performances, but I haven't had a positive opinion on the dub in this aspect on the whole in many, many years now.

I'd have to say Meowth has the worst dub voice of the main four- his gravelly, raspy, deep voice is harmful to the ears for me, and it's scratchy too: huge miscast.

James, he still sounds like an elderly man with a cold to me, that's all I'll say: Jessie, she still sounds like a high pitched valley girl at many points, see James. Ash, he sounds like a deep voiced woman most of the time, sometimes girly imo.

Of the newer dub voices introduced in this episode...I'm "meh" on Rotom's since it has this rather nasal quality at times, but I can see some potential in it, and I do prefer it to Mimikyu's, which is just...basically some guy sounding like his choking on something with a Stitch-like voice seeping through: it literally reminds me of Greninja's from XY's dub at many points (and that's not a good thing to me, at all, especially since it's the same dub VA who does both parts- is it funny? Yes. Does it fit? No.).

Out of the rest of the main cast...

Lana...I'm sorry, but she sounds like she has a cold, and she talks very slowly at times to a fault of sounding almost babyish (especially when she confuses Mimikyu for "Tee-kachu" or whatever), ugh.

Lillie...well, she still sounds 20 years older than she is & despite her actress being different from Serena's dub VA, the two are a fairly close vocal match for each other so that should answer that for my opinion on the subject.

Mallow...sounds like Alexa from XY's dub, meaning more like a woman in her 20s than a young girl, and has this seductive tone at times that just seems off.

Sophocles...a dub voice I LIKE, wow, that's a first in a while! Strange, considering I really couldn't stand Rosenfeld's Bonnie, but I think she does a good job of voicing this character here- it's boyish & makes him sound age appropriate, too.

Kiawe...Marc Swint's VOICE is fitting, but his ACTING is still very rigid & stiff, it needs work to match Kaki's- still, it's probably the second best dub voice out of Ash's main companions imo.

Others?

Samson Oak...eh, it's better than his cousin's current dub voice, but that's not saying much...is it? He sounds too much like a pirate with a gruff voice at points here rather than an elderly man, although it's "meh" overall for me, as I've heard worse.

Kukui...what a miscast, the actor has a VERY pleasant voice to listen to, actually...but it's on the wrong character for someone as laid back and reserved as the character. Professor side, it's fine: reserved side, it fails hard.

Script Writing:

Meowth suffers the most, really, a lot of "Dig it," "Chumps," etc. as I mentioned above- also, "shut yer yap," I could go, but you get the point.

I heard James alliterate once with the letter "S" and I heard a few rhymes outside of the motto from himself & Jessie, but it's not as bad as usual on the TR side for him and Jessie, at least.

Ash still says "'Kay" a lot as well in the dub, script wise, really annoying verbal tic of his at times- I know it's been that way for more than a decade now, but ugh. I also hated when he said "Not sure watch'ya mean" to Rotom, but again, he's spoken like this for years now, so it's expected.

Samson Oak's puns got rewritten a bit and so did Rotom's, and oh boy, did I cringe hearing them talk- Kiawe's response was mine haha.

Music:

Only three themes were kept, those being the title card (expected), SM trainer battle theme (expected), and TR motto theme (again, expected): rest was dub music, and frankly I think the SM dub music still "Mickey Mouses" often as well as giving off "elevator" vibes, so the quality of it altogether is very questionable to me.

Rotom's sound effects when it starts up were changed in the dub, of course.

Edits:

TR motto kanji was erased, we all saw it coming, the Z move battle kanji was erased in the previous 2 episodes for Kiawe & Ash's moves respectively, it was to be expected, enough said.

All in all, fun way to kill some spare time, but not my thing- just gave it a chance, though, but it still doesn't work for me.

There were a few pieces of music that I didn't mind but overall the score still has that same aimless feel it's had for years in the dub. Team Rocket's overall dialogue isn't as bad as it has been, there were actually a few lines that didn't make me cringe.

The bar is so low....

I actually didn't think the dub was so horrible. Rotomdex sounded way less annoying than I thought he would...I actually liked it quite a bit for him. Mimikyu really wasn't all that bad...I personally didn't notice a huge difference from the Japanese voice. It still sounded like creepy, unintelligible gargling to me.

One thing that stood out to me was that I actually really liked Ash's dialogue. The past few years the dialogue he's had has been pretty much cringe worthy, but it felt a bit more natural here.

My main complaints are Team Rocket (mostly Meowth) and the music. Not happy to hear the stupid, unnecessary filler words like "dig it" still oversaturating a majority of Meowth's dialogue. I also don't usually care that much about the music, but it was jarringly bad this time around. I love the tropical music the original has, and instead the dub gets these screechy rock-esque tracks? Terrible.

One thing that stood out to me was that I actually really liked Ash's dialogue. The past few years the dialogue he's had has been pretty much cringe worthy, but it felt a bit more natural here.
I still hate it, personally, TPCi always has him say stuff like "Kay" or "watch'ya mean" here: still sounds too slang-y for comfort, imo. I agree TR & the music are worse, though.

I still hate it, personally, TPCi always has him say stuff like "Kay" or "watch'ya mean" here: still sounds too slang-y for comfort, imo. I agree TR & the music are worse, though.

Oh yeah, definitely still not a fan of the slang. But I feel like outside of that, it was actually less "cardboard" than usual, if that makes sense? Like his first interactions with Rotomdex were pretty good and entertaining. Still room for improvement, of course, but I do have hope that the more playful tone of SM will continue to make the dialogue a bit less static.

Tbh I don't really mind the dub music so far in this series. I do agree that Team Rocket are bad, at least for this episode. Hopefully they'll improve throughout the series, especially with Jessie and Wobbuffet because they both sounded off to me.

This episode felt short but was sweet. Rotom was charmingly annoying. TR's appearance didn't feel too forced, either. Looking forward to next week's episode where
Ash catches the based backpack owl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the dub. Felt like punishing myself. My eyes hurt, and my ears are bleeding.

I had to watch a few real Pokemon episodes on Netflix and Youtube to get the stench to go away.

Rotom's voice is just a tad bit too computer-y for my tastes. Maybe if it was less high pitched it would have been a bit better. But overall, the dub of this was nice. I'm still bummed about Mimikyu going with TR just because it hates Pikachu. I would have preferred it just remain a recurring antagonist as opposed to siding with them just because they also oppose Pikachu :/

I'm annoyed that this took like 7000 years to air but finally!

Half the characters are pretty annoying but I'll get used to it. Jessie and James look so weird - they seem more "asian" to me. I guess the eyes were edited a little.

Anyway the second half was a lot more fun, Meowth getting rekd, Mimikyu owning and Bewear being a random troll to Team Rocket. Now the real fun begins, as I have to figure out which of the cuties will be waifu.

Looking forward to next week's episode where Ash catches the based backpack owl.

spoiler...

I'm enjoying it so far. Rotomdex's voice is a standard Pokedex voice, which makes sense. Mimikyu's VERY creepy, and although I do like the horrific side of Mikikyu, do hope we'll see a cuter, "I want friends like Pikachu does" Mimikyu eventually.

It's been a long time since I've heard a Team Rocket Motto that's different from the original, so it'll take some getting used to

Meowth's near death experience is just as hilarious as it was when I first saw screenshots of it. I do like that Rotomdex itself is the one loading up data on Pokemon. It should prevent the whole "Ash looking up a Pokemon he already knows about" thing the anime is infamous for.

All in all, it's an enjoyable episode, and I'm glad to see a new Team Rocket Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom