• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP04: First Catch in Alola, Ketchum-style!

I thought this was a pretty good episode! I was worried about what they'd do with Rowlet's voice because I really love it in the original, but I have to say the dub's is really pretty good. It's close enough to the original that I enjoy it.

TR was pretty good in this episode, sans a few Meowth lines. I liked the scene of them in the cave, talking amongst themselves and deciding to get the food back for Bewear. Their dialogue was pretty good there.

Lillie's voice and dialogue was...bad. That was honestly what stood out to me the most. It was only a few lines but still...they came across as very choppy and high pitched and just off. I hope that when we see a more Lillie-focused episode that her dialogue and voice improves.

The music is still also standing out to me in a bad way. I just wish it was more tropical sounding!

First off, I always like how almost everyone here genuinely enjoys the dub and then we have you XD
Most of the lines were translated perfectly.
Well, someone's got to be a critic lol.
But yeah, I don't think so on the script, a lot of Team Rocket's lines were changed and there were a few rewrites for Ash's lines as well.

Hm, interesting. Last episode I found Ro-dex's voice super annoying, but now I think it's adorable. I knew I said it might take some time to grow on me, but I thought it would be longer than a week. :p

Anyway, Rotom is literally the only thing I liked about this episode. I still hate Rowlet, but at least it's dubbed voice is slightly less annoying than the Japanese one. But otherwise, nothing in the episode was particularly interesting.

Did no one notice that there was a Rowlett in there lmao. and I guess no one cares that they steal food either! though I guess it was more like a gift at that point... eh

Aw so Bewear just wanted to make friends I guess...

and if that ball really is James', then would that make Mimikyu technically James'? that's how it worked when Brock used one of Ash's to get a Tauros but I guess it was the safari zone so could be different.

Huh so the flowers aren't part of that Pokemon after all. Guess it doesn't matter it's not half Grass - unlike Florges then. and yay Toucannon! I love that angry ball of hatred.

That's not how evil works Team Rocket!

Aw those baby Pikipek. ..and random Rowlett. Yay he got praise!

Bloody hell Pikachu would've lost if Rowlett didn't cheat and make it 2v1. That's quite the Mimikyu.

Damn Rowlett's cute. Would've been neat to see a quick thunderbolt to the face to catch it the traditional way but eh what can you do!

Good episode. Had a lack of Lille and Lana tho

It occurs to me that they're using RotomDex to provide exposition on the Pokemon world to people who don't know much about it. I think that's fair, this is a kid's franchise, and you NEED to attached new generations of kids to stay alive. And I'm glad it's Rotomdex, who needs to fill out his information, that provides this exposition and not say, someone explaining to Ash things he should already know but doesn't like in Black and White.

I might be wrong, but I think this is the first time in the anime a Pokemon is trying to eat another Pokemon.

I really like the Pikipek family, and Rowlett is adorable. It was pretty touching when they said goodbye

I'm actually really glad Team Rocket has a nice place to stay and a steady source of food, even if they do have to be kidnapped by a Bewear. I also like how they're motivated by both capturing Pikipek AND getting Bewear's berries back. It's a reminder that they may be criminals, but they're not bad people, a character trait they've had since their inception.

I loved RotomDex's reaction to Ash's usual capturing method of the Pokemon willingly going into a Pokeball after befriending him.

All in all, a solid "Ash catches a Pokemon" episode.

A nice, well-written episode. As for the major events, Ash catches a Rowlet, while Jessie catches the Mimikyu from the previous episode.

I loved how Rotom Dex was used as a means to provide information about stuff like catching Pokémon, clearly and evidently to viewers who might not be familiar with the process. Works quite well, if you ask me. (y)

Oh, Rowlet is such a clumsy child and that makes it all the more adorable. Also, I am a big fan of the Pikipek evolution family, so it was just LOVELY seeing them here. :X3::X3:

Alolan Nurse Joy debuts in this episode. Not a big fan of her design though, but that maybe because of the series in general. Nice seeing Comfey and Blissey in the anime. We also learn some about Mallow's Bounsweet, which is always a plus. I really liked how Bounsweet dealt with Rowlet after it mistook her for a berry. Clearly, she's not one sweet cherry, I tell ya! ;)

I loved how Team Rocket wanted to capture the Pikipek family, but also get Bewear's berries back as a payback for what it's done for them. It's a reminder that they may be criminals, but they're not bad people at heart.

Rotom Dex's reaction to Ash's "usual" capturing method was priceless, though I kinda expected it, considering it is more versed in rationality than emotions . :D:LOL:

All in all, an adorable capture episode. I'll give a 9.5/10.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom